• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

The Left Needs to Be Wary of AOC. (Opinion) I’m writing this opinion… | by Yuuko | Sep, 2020 | Medium
I’m not saying that AOC is a sellout . We don’t know how much of her progressive leanings are genuine, and how far she’s willing to go. But she’s definitely not someone we can put our blind trust in. And there’s one especially dangerous possibility: an AOC presidential run may well be the establishment’s best tool for forcing the Left to fall in line and accept our current capitalist, imperialist system. In itself an AOC presidency would be a net positive, but the CIA could easily use it to make us think it’s the *only* thing we ever need, sparing our rotten capitalist/imperialist system and propping it up to spread its poison once again down the line.
Saying that she might go the way of Barack Obama in campaigning on a progressive platform, but selling out once in office.

Another TV-show reference:
The Boys' Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Analogue Is Fascinating
... But the series does begin to further complicate its political dynamics with the introduction of Victoria Neuman, an upstart congresswoman who makes a point of taking Vought International to task.

Everything about the way The Boys characterizes Neuman (Claudia Doumit) immediately telegraphs that she’s the show’s answer to Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Known for being a political wunderkind on Capitol Hill, Neuman’s one of the most vocal members of Congress to push for more oversight and an investigation of Vought International, the company that secretly produces the substance known as Compound V.

The Boys’ second season picks up not long after the public learns the truth about the world’s superheroes—namely that none of them were actually born with superpowers of natural origins, but rather that they were all regular people who gained their abilities by being given doses of Compound V as children. The revelation shocks the public because it very clearly illustrates that Vought has a vested interest in the way society relies on, and generates massive amounts of money from, its name-brand superheroes. As all of this is coming to light, the media is also preoccupied with a growing narrative about the rise of so-called “super-terrorists.”

The Left Needs to Be Wary of AOC. (Opinion) I’m writing this opinion… | by Yuuko | Sep, 2020 | Medium
I’m not saying that AOC is a sellout . We don’t know how much of her progressive leanings are genuine, and how far she’s willing to go. But she’s definitely not someone we can put our blind trust in. And there’s one especially dangerous possibility: an AOC presidential run may well be the establishment’s best tool for forcing the Left to fall in line and accept our current capitalist, imperialist system. In itself an AOC presidency would be a net positive, but the CIA could easily use it to make us think it’s the *only* thing we ever need, sparing our rotten capitalist/imperialist system and propping it up to spread its poison once again down the line.
Saying that she might go the way of Barack Obama in campaigning on a progressive platform, but selling out once in office.

Another TV-show reference:
The Boys' Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Analogue Is Fascinating
... But the series does begin to further complicate its political dynamics with the introduction of Victoria Neuman, an upstart congresswoman who makes a point of taking Vought International to task.

Everything about the way The Boys characterizes Neuman (Claudia Doumit) immediately telegraphs that she’s the show’s answer to Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Known for being a political wunderkind on Capitol Hill, Neuman’s one of the most vocal members of Congress to push for more oversight and an investigation of Vought International, the company that secretly produces the substance known as Compound V.

The Boys’ second season picks up not long after the public learns the truth about the world’s superheroes—namely that none of them were actually born with superpowers of natural origins, but rather that they were all regular people who gained their abilities by being given doses of Compound V as children. The revelation shocks the public because it very clearly illustrates that Vought has a vested interest in the way society relies on, and generates massive amounts of money from, its name-brand superheroes. As all of this is coming to light, the media is also preoccupied with a growing narrative about the rise of so-called “super-terrorists.”

Another interesting part, I think, is how they abstract the major group entities within society (nationalism, ethnic supremecists, various direct action ideologies, the investigative agencies) as individuals rather than as large groups. Really, that senator is an abstraction of the entire progressive/social action left zeitgeist, just as Homelander is an abstraction of the entire "patriotic" republican military industrial political field.

AOC Has Finally Crossed the Line | Newsmax.com

After devoting much of his article to adoring cops, AD got down to his main business, slamming AOC for backing out of an event in honor of former Israel Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, someone he called "Israel’s great peace maker". AOC did so because of his nastiness toward Palestinians, and AD claimed that she was "pressured by virulent anti-Zionists who believe that Israel has no right to exist as the nation state of the Jewish people" and that "AOC's cowardly decision not to stand up to anti-Semitic, anti-Israel bigotry is being applauded by fellow bigots on the hard left."

AD stated "No country in history has ever done so much good for humanity in so short a period of time as in the 72 years since Israel has come into existence" and he complained that she has refused to meet with supporters of Israel, even left-wing ones.

About the AOC imitation in The Boys,

Aspiring Music Blogger™©® on Twitter: "@leslieleeiii The fake AOC in The Boys was way more subtle. Felt like an actual character loosely based on AOC rather that someone just doing an AOC impression." / Twitter

Stagger Lee on Twitter: "The fake AOC in The Boys is better than the fake AOC in Space Force." / Twitter

AOC Is Not Your Friend

Started off with Nina Turner, Tulsi Gabbard, and Briahna Joy Gray and how their careers suffered after they bucked the Democratic Party establishment and supported Bernie Sanders.
There was another group of people who's political stardom was largely contingent on their connection to Sanders's movement. These people were nowhere to be found in 2016. These people made none of the sacrifices the women above were bold enough to make when the country needed them the most. But, they reaped all of the political and financial benefits that subsequently followed for "Berniecrats" who were willing to ride the coattails of who eventually became the most popular politician in the country. And although I could rattle off a list of names that fit this description, no one fits this description more than the "progressive firebrand" Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY14).
Author Niko House asks "Who Is AOC Loyal To?"

AOC fights back against Republicans and against Nancy Pelosi, but NH claims that AOC never defended NT, TG, or BJG. After claiming that AOC once "left her friend Ilhan Omar hanging", NH continued with "We can even look at AOC's bizarre stint with the Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign for more examples of what can only be characterized as self-serving and selective loyalty." Like supporting Elizabeth Warren almost as much as she supported Bernie Sanders. "Warren wasn't a threat to beat Sanders. But, AOC legitimized Warren's formerly delegitimized "progressive bona-fides" and ensured that Warren was indeed a threat to make sure Sanders lost." NH also grumbled about AOC calling NP "Mama Bear".

About the first Democratic Party debate, NH grumbled that AOC didn't say a good word about the "only" progressive candidate, Tulsi Gabbard. But I doubt that AOC was very impressed by TG this time around -- TG ran on being opposed to military adventures, and just about nothing else.

NH concludes that "AOC wants the Democratic presidential nomination in 2024. Not only does she want the nomination, but she clearly wants to be the first female president, and the youngest and Tulsi Gabbard was the ONE significant obstacle standing the way of achieving that goal." He also discussed her moves on fossil fuels and COVID-19 aid, and he concludes "AOC is loyal to somebody, but it isn't progressives. I'm not quite sure she's loyal to the Democratic establishment either. She clearly isn't loyal to her allies. AOC only seems to fight unapologetically for one person, and that's AOC." Also how regressive Sen. Ed Markey supposedly is, and he continues "I ask you this: If AOC isn't held accountable by the establishment while being completely and totally protected by the progressive movement (the enemies of the establishment) despite a clear display of pathologically selfish and self-serving behavior, what's to stop her from becoming the next Barack Obama?"

I couldn't stand Tulsi! First off, I don't know anyone on the left who didn't support her because she was too liberal. I, like a lot of people, was very interested in her in the beginning. But after awhile, all that she talked about was bashing establishment democrats and was anti-starting new wars. (Who isn't against this?). After awhile I just got bored with her. I mean there are other issues out there. She's not a deep thinker. Then as her support started to dwindle, she started claiming that there was an active conspiracy against her! All the democrats who weren't falling down at her feet were secret ghengis khan's who wanted to invade the remaining ME countries and were picking on her. I listened to her for three hours on a podcast; the podcaster kept trying to ask her political questions, and all she could talk about was the conspiracies against her. Bizarre.

AOC Has Finally Crossed the Line | Newsmax.com

After devoting much of his article to adoring cops, AD got down to his main business, slamming AOC for backing out of an event in honor of former Israel Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, someone he called "Israel’s great peace maker". AOC did so because of his nastiness toward Palestinians, and AD claimed that she was "pressured by virulent anti-Zionists who believe that Israel has no right to exist as the nation state of the Jewish people" and that "AOC's cowardly decision not to stand up to anti-Semitic, anti-Israel bigotry is being applauded by fellow bigots on the hard left."

AD stated "No country in history has ever done so much good for humanity in so short a period of time as in the 72 years since Israel has come into existence" and he complained that she has refused to meet with supporters of Israel, even left-wing ones.

About the AOC imitation in The Boys,

Aspiring Music Blogger™©® on Twitter: "@leslieleeiii The fake AOC in The Boys was way more subtle. Felt like an actual character loosely based on AOC rather that someone just doing an AOC impression." / Twitter

Stagger Lee on Twitter: "The fake AOC in The Boys is better than the fake AOC in Space Force." / Twitter

I wonder what made AD so anti left over the last few years. He has really joined the dark side. A person can be left and still support and want peace for Israel. As an aside, the assignation of Rabin and other issues that killed the two state solution, has signed the death note for Israel as it is today. There's really only two solutions: two state or one state. Under one state - Israel as it exists today is over. No more Jewish state. End of story. Rabin knew this, and fought for Israel's future. The far right in Israel believes in a third solution: that god will solve it for Israel. Probably not going to happen!

I couldn't stand Tulsi! First off, I don't know anyone on the left who didn't support her because she was too liberal. I, like a lot of people, was very interested in her in the beginning. But after awhile, all that she talked about was bashing establishment democrats and was anti-starting new wars. (Who isn't against this?).
Someone like John Bolton, maybe. I'll give him credit for some level-headedness and sense of responsiblity, however.

I agree that TG was very limited. Opposition to military adventures was just about the only thing that she cared about in her campaign, even though a President would have a lot of other responsibilities. Thinking it over, it seems rather negligent, since she has had plenty of leadership experience:
  • Hawaii Army National Guard: Major (rank)
  • Honolulu City Council
  • Hawaii House of Representatives
  • US House of Representatives

After awhile I just got bored with her. I mean there are other issues out there. She's not a deep thinker. Then as her support started to dwindle, she started claiming that there was an active conspiracy against her! All the democrats who weren't falling down at her feet were secret ghengis khan's who wanted to invade the remaining ME countries and were picking on her. I listened to her for three hours on a podcast; the podcaster kept trying to ask her political questions, and all she could talk about was the conspiracies against her. Bizarre.
What self-pity. Was she asked about being criticized for having a too limited platform?

I couldn't stand Tulsi! First off, I don't know anyone on the left who didn't support her because she was too liberal. I, like a lot of people, was very interested in her in the beginning. But after awhile, all that she talked about was bashing establishment democrats and was anti-starting new wars. (Who isn't against this?).
Someone like John Bolton, maybe. I'll give him credit for some level-headedness and sense of responsiblity, however.

I agree that TG was very limited. Opposition to military adventures was just about the only thing that she cared about in her campaign, even though a President would have a lot of other responsibilities. Thinking it over, it seems rather negligent, since she has had plenty of leadership experience:
  • Hawaii Army National Guard: Major (rank)
  • Honolulu City Council
  • Hawaii House of Representatives
  • US House of Representatives

After awhile I just got bored with her. I mean there are other issues out there. She's not a deep thinker. Then as her support started to dwindle, she started claiming that there was an active conspiracy against her! All the democrats who weren't falling down at her feet were secret ghengis khan's who wanted to invade the remaining ME countries and were picking on her. I listened to her for three hours on a podcast; the podcaster kept trying to ask her political questions, and all she could talk about was the conspiracies against her. Bizarre.
What self-pity. Was she asked about being criticized for having a too limited platform?

Self pity is an interesting way to put it. Do you like to evaluate a candidate on more than one issue? I'd say that there are at least 15 issues that I super care about that i'd evaluate before making a decision on a person. Yea, I get bored if someone only talks about one issue over and over. Would you really consider that self pity?

Self pity is an interesting way to put it. Do you like to evaluate a candidate on more than one issue? I'd say that there are at least 15 issues that I super care about that i'd evaluate before making a decision on a person. Yea, I get bored if someone only talks about one issue over and over. Would you really consider that self pity?
Self-pity is my interpretation of Tulsi Gabbard's claiming that she lost because of conspiracies against her.

I wonder what made AD so anti left over the last few years. He has really joined the dark side.
So everybody not on the Left is part of the "dark side"? If anything it is Corporal Sandy and the members of her Imperial squad who are on the Dark Side. :)

A person can be left and still support and want peace for Israel.
In theory, yes, but more and more siding with Balestinians is being seen as a litmus test for being sufficiently left-wing. See for example Jeremy Corbyn, former Labour leader, who sees terrorists from Hamas and Hezbollah as his "friends".
There's really only two solutions: two state or one state. Under one state - Israel as it exists today is over. No more Jewish state. End of story. Rabin knew this, and fought for Israel's future. The far right in Israel believes in a third solution: that god will solve it for Israel. Probably not going to happen!
The third solution is a variation of the two state solution. Instead of giving Arabs the core Jewish territories of Judea and Samaria (proper names for the regions, instead of the silly and non-descript "West Bank") the Palestinians should be moved to the original Arab part of the Mandatory Palestine - (Trans)Jordan. And they should keep Gaza too, maybe with a small land-grand from Egypt to make it more viable. So I guess it would really be a three state solution. :)

The Black Panthers started out as opponents of police brutality, and they became armed vigilantes with the help of open-carry laws. But they expanded their activities into other forms of assistance.
From pretty much the very beginning Black Panthers were anti-police thugs. For example, in April 1968 BP leader Eldridge Cleaver organized an armed ambush against Oakland police.

It did a lot for the Black Panthers' image, but it got under the skin of a powerful enemy, FBI head J. Edgar Hoover. He declared war on it, calling it “potentially the greatest threat to efforts by authorities to neutralize the BPP and destroy what it stands for.”
He was right. They were Maoist extremist whose goal was to overthrow the US government institute a communist dictatorship with black people as overlords who did not even have to pay any taxes.

And yet, to this day they are being lionized by the Left. Many former Panthers - including Eldridge Cleaver's wife - who are teaching at universities and are able to spew their racist and commie propaganda unimpeded.

Opinion | A.O.C.’s Mistake in Pulling Out of a Rabin Memorial - The New York Times
On Sept. 15, Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez accepted an invitation from Americans for Peace Now, a peace advocacy organization, to participate in a virtual event on Oct. 20 memorializing Rabin. Announcing her participation nine days later, on Sept. 24, the organization said in a tweet she would “reflect on fulfilling the courageous Israeli leader’s mission for peace.” For a progressive Democrat who has fought with courage to bring greater balance to the Israel-skewed American approach to the conflict, it seemed a natural fit.

The next day, however, Ocasio-Cortez withdrew. She slunk away with scarcely a word after Alex Kane, a journalist for Jewish Currents, noted in a tweet that Palestinians remember Rabin for “his brutal rule suppressing Palestinian protest during the first intifada” and criticism from Palestinians began pouring in over Twitter.

Pulling out was a mistake by Ocasio-Cortez and using a process argument to justify it is craven: “My involvement was presented to my team differently from how it’s now being promoted,” she tweeted on Sept. 25.

In fact, the invitation from Hadar Susskind, the president for Americans for Peace Now, said: “While some of the speakers will be sharing their memories of Prime Minister Rabin, or focusing their remarks on Israel-Palestine, I am also looking for speakers to speak to the broader themes of the event. These include the willingness to take risks for peace and the need for leaders to grow and change and be willing to do so in the pursuit of justice.”
 Yitzhak Rabin
Rabin was born in Jerusalem to Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe and was raised in a Labor Zionist household. He learned agriculture in school and excelled as a student. He led a 27-year career as a soldier. As a teenager he joined the Palmach, the commando force of the Yishuv. He eventually rose through its ranks to become its chief of operations during the 1948 Arab–Israeli War. He joined the newly formed Israel Defense Forces in late 1948 and continued to rise as a promising officer. He helped shape the training doctrine of the IDF in the early 1950s, and led the IDF's Operations Directorate from 1959 to 1963. He was appointed Chief of the General Staff in 1964 and oversaw Israel's victory in the 1967 Six-Day War.

Rabin served as Israel's ambassador to the United States from 1968 to 1973, during a period of deepening U.S.–Israel ties. He was appointed Prime Minister of Israel in 1974, after the resignation of Golda Meir. In his first term, Rabin signed the Sinai Interim Agreement and ordered the Entebbe raid. He resigned in 1977 in the wake of a financial scandal. Rabin was Israel's minister of defense for much of the 1980s, including during the outbreak of the First Intifada.

In 1992, Rabin was re-elected as prime minister on a platform embracing the Israeli–Palestinian peace process. He signed several historic agreements with the Palestinian leadership as part of the Oslo Accords. In 1994, Rabin won the Nobel Peace Prize together with long-time political rival Shimon Peres and Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. Rabin also signed a peace treaty with Jordan in 1994. In November 1995, he was assassinated by an extremist named Yigal Amir, who opposed the terms of the Oslo Accords. Amir was convicted of Rabin's murder and sentenced to life imprisonment. Rabin was the first native-born prime minister of Israel, the only prime minister to be assassinated and the second to die in office after Levi Eshkol. Rabin has become a symbol of the Israeli–Palestinian peace process.

Opinion | A.O.C.’s Mistake in Pulling Out of a Rabin Memorial - The New York Times
On Sept. 15, Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez accepted an invitation from Americans for Peace Now, a peace advocacy organization, to participate in a virtual event on Oct. 20 memorializing Rabin. Announcing her participation nine days later, on Sept. 24, the organization said in a tweet she would “reflect on fulfilling the courageous Israeli leader’s mission for peace.” For a progressive Democrat who has fought with courage to bring greater balance to the Israel-skewed American approach to the conflict, it seemed a natural fit.

The next day, however, Ocasio-Cortez withdrew. She slunk away with scarcely a word after Alex Kane, a journalist for Jewish Currents, noted in a tweet that Palestinians remember Rabin for “his brutal rule suppressing Palestinian protest during the first intifada” and criticism from Palestinians began pouring in over Twitter.

Pulling out was a mistake by Ocasio-Cortez and using a process argument to justify it is craven: “My involvement was presented to my team differently from how it’s now being promoted,” she tweeted on Sept. 25.

In fact, the invitation from Hadar Susskind, the president for Americans for Peace Now, said: “While some of the speakers will be sharing their memories of Prime Minister Rabin, or focusing their remarks on Israel-Palestine, I am also looking for speakers to speak to the broader themes of the event. These include the willingness to take risks for peace and the need for leaders to grow and change and be willing to do so in the pursuit of justice.”
 Yitzhak Rabin
Rabin was born in Jerusalem to Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe and was raised in a Labor Zionist household. He learned agriculture in school and excelled as a student. He led a 27-year career as a soldier. As a teenager he joined the Palmach, the commando force of the Yishuv. He eventually rose through its ranks to become its chief of operations during the 1948 Arab–Israeli War. He joined the newly formed Israel Defense Forces in late 1948 and continued to rise as a promising officer. He helped shape the training doctrine of the IDF in the early 1950s, and led the IDF's Operations Directorate from 1959 to 1963. He was appointed Chief of the General Staff in 1964 and oversaw Israel's victory in the 1967 Six-Day War.

Rabin served as Israel's ambassador to the United States from 1968 to 1973, during a period of deepening U.S.–Israel ties. He was appointed Prime Minister of Israel in 1974, after the resignation of Golda Meir. In his first term, Rabin signed the Sinai Interim Agreement and ordered the Entebbe raid. He resigned in 1977 in the wake of a financial scandal. Rabin was Israel's minister of defense for much of the 1980s, including during the outbreak of the First Intifada.

In 1992, Rabin was re-elected as prime minister on a platform embracing the Israeli–Palestinian peace process. He signed several historic agreements with the Palestinian leadership as part of the Oslo Accords. In 1994, Rabin won the Nobel Peace Prize together with long-time political rival Shimon Peres and Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. Rabin also signed a peace treaty with Jordan in 1994. In November 1995, he was assassinated by an extremist named Yigal Amir, who opposed the terms of the Oslo Accords. Amir was convicted of Rabin's murder and sentenced to life imprisonment. Rabin was the first native-born prime minister of Israel, the only prime minister to be assassinated and the second to die in office after Levi Eshkol. Rabin has become a symbol of the Israeli–Palestinian peace process.

The possibility of a long term peaceful solution between the Palestinians and Israel died when Rabin was murdered. A great shame.

TikTok Teens Celebrate Alexandria Orcasio-Cortez's Birthday
In honour of AOC’s birthday, teens remixed Kendrick Lamar’s ‘Humble’ and parts of her speech. Some even went one step further and lip-synched while applying makeup and AOC’s signature red lip.

The Politician as Organizer - The American Prospect
This is a deliberate strategy on the part of the first-term congresswoman. After defeating a Wall Street–backed primary challenger, Team Ocasio-Cortez has shifted focus to the needs of her constituents, who have been among the most affected by the COVID-19 health crisis and its economic repercussions, as well as the ever-present issues with policing in New York City. In addition to the workplace-organizing workshop, the campaign has posted seminars on what to do if you’re being evicted, what to do if you’re confronted by ICE agents, and how to organize collective child care while schools are struggling to coordinate reopenings. The campaign has become an unusually direct set of actions aimed at helping the vulnerable and building power.

Ocasio-Cortez is often not the leading voice in the videos; sometimes she’s not in them at all. “We want to shift people away from an orientation of depending on a person of authority, which is often an elected official saying, ‘I’m going to come save you,’” says Nina Luo, the campaign political organizing director. “The congresswoman, with as powerful a voice as she has, she really cares about organizing led by the people that are directly impacted by issues, who are in the actual communities.”

This organizing strategy decentralizes the candidate from her own campaign. But in exchange, local organizers and community leaders hold the spotlight and speak to their areas of expertise. It’s the kind of organizing you’d expect from someone interested in building a movement, rather than a brand.
That's very remarkable by politician standards. It's very different from saying "Only I can fix it". AOC is the anti-Trump in a lot of ways.
IT’S TO REP. OCASIO-CORTEZ’s advantage that she came to politics from an organizing background, outside the electoral arena. In her first day on the Hill, AOC participated in a sit-in with the Sunrise Movement at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office. With her constituent services during the coronavirus crisis, AOC continues to blur the line between organizer and elected official.

Members of Campaign AOC don’t think their candidate’s approach should be so unique. The online workshops are “totally replicable,” Luo says. But there’s little financial reward for high-priced campaign consultants in running workshops and tangibly helping constituents; they’d rather run ads and print mailers and take a cut of the media placement. Soto believes that campaigns should be run as a “public good” instead of “enrich[ing] pockets of the consultancy class.”
It shows that she's an activist at heart, and not an egomaniac.

Working During COVID: Organizing Your Workplace for Safety - YouTube - "COVID-19 is not over. From the lack of paid sick leave to asking workers to reuse PPE, workplaces have not put in strong enough safety protections. That’s why we’re doing this workshop. We’ll teach you your labor rights and how you can reach out to your co-workers, organize your demands, and win safety protections."

Hosting it: Bianca Cunningham of Labor Notes. She organized some retail stores, though she got fired as a result.

She discusses how to deal with COVID-19: elimination, substitution, engineering, admin controls, personal protective equipment

Blame the worker vs. fix the job

Royce Brown of EWOC - he recommends starting by listing workers and their amount of support. Keep it secure.

Gabriel Morales of Brandworkers - overcoming employer opposition. Having plans and strategies. Also well-defined and achievable goals.
STRATEGY
1. What does winning look like?
2. Where will we focus our struggle?
3. How will we win?

GOALS
Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Relevant to mission
Time-bound

PLAN
A bad plan is better than no plan

Very clever list :D Sort of like Inspiring Leadership Has A Name

Then mutual aid, something that AOC has talked about earlier.

Resources: ocasiocortez.com/workerpledge -- Pledge to Organize

Here to Stay: A Workshop on Resisting Gentrification | Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - YouTube - Join Team AOC, Marcela Mitaynes & Zohran Mamdani for a workshop on resisting gentrification. From researching developers to organizing protests, we’ll talk about how we can fight back so that we don’t get pushed out.

ocasiocortez.com/heretostay

Zohran Mamdani - NY Assembly 36, Marcela Mitaynes - NY Assembly 51
Both won the Democratic primaries last summer, and both are likely to win the general elections.

Claims that a lot of policiing is a way of harassing people out of their homes to make way for expensive developments -- that it's more common in neighborhoods with expensive property developments. Also claims that the raid on Breonna Taylor's home was part of an effort to harass an opponent of gentrification.

Then the two activists mentioned the fight to keep Amazon's HQ2 out of Queens. They continued with some more activists describing their anti-gentrification efforts, like doing opposition research in real-estate developers' publications.

Also, one of the opponents of Amazon HQ2. He argued that it would not have created very many local jobs, mainly upper-middle class people from elsewhere. He also argued that such people moving in would have raised rents to unaffordable levels for many of the area's residents.

Back
Top Bottom