• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Capitalists just take.

They serve nobody else but themselves.

Preaching doesn't make it so.

In reality, without capitalists we would be far behind where we are now. They're what drives most large endeavors.

Calling things you don't like "preaching" has very little interest to me.

Mislabeling things is how capitalists operate.

We have a worsening but somewhat decent existence thanks to unions and workers. Thanks to anti-capitalist activity.

But as the unions have been crushed the lifestyle of millions is worsening.

1) Lifestyle isn't worsening.

2) You're focusing on the short term, anyway--seed corn is tasty.

Hard to say what alternatives might have done.

The US violently prevented any alternative. US capitalists have attacked and weakened the unions and the government has not cared.

Ever heard of the Vietnam War?

We tried to prevent a communist-backed dictatorship from taking over.

The crushing of democracy in Iran?

Democracy? Or another attempt to install a puppet

The support of violent dictators in Chile?

The proxy war in Nicaragua?

The refusal to trade with Cuba driving them to the Soviets?

In each case you are talking about groups that allied with our enemies. That's the important factor.

Look at the world--your beloved communism is dead because it never worked.

Which country is in better shape today?

Haiti?
or Vietnam?
Vietnam is a communist dominated country. Haiti is dominated by capitalist Christians.

Otherwise, their history is similar. Both were French colonies. Both were taken over by the USA. Both were pawns in the Cold War.

I'm not interested in living in either country. But if I had to choose, it would be Vietnam.
Tom

Calling things you don't like "preaching" has very little interest to me.

Mislabeling things is how capitalists operate.

We have a worsening but somewhat decent existence thanks to unions and workers. Thanks to anti-capitalist activity.

But as the unions have been crushed the lifestyle of millions is worsening.

1) Lifestyle isn't worsening.

The middle class is shrinking. The US is rapidly becoming a third world nation.

Tens of millions don't have health insurance.

Hard to say what alternatives might have done.

The US violently prevented any alternative. US capitalists have attacked and weakened the unions and the government has not cared.

Ever heard of the Vietnam War?

We tried to prevent a communist-backed dictatorship from taking over.

No. US capitalists tried to maintain Vietnam as a colony after the French failed to re-establish it as a colony after WWII.

The US attacked South Vietnam and killed millions.

Nothing gave the US the right to kill anyone.

Capitalists not liking some government doesn't justify a violent attack of that government.

Democracy.

The support of violent dictators in Chile?

The proxy war in Nicaragua?

The refusal to trade with Cuba driving them to the Soviets?

In each case you are talking about groups that allied with our enemies. That's the important factor.

The Russians were US allies during WWII. Then the USSR became the enemy of violent US capitalists after WWII. I don't care who the capitalists say are their enemy. It is meaningless and justifies nothing.

Cuba was driven to the Soviets because the US capitalists refused to trade with the nation.

Chile was not aligned with the Soviet Union.

And Nicaragua was not aligned with the Soviet Union.

I know for a time US capitalists, like the scumbags they are, lied about Soviet connections and somehow thought it justified violent overthrow and attack. It never once justified an attack of anyone.

Which country is in better shape today?

Haiti?
or Vietnam?
Vietnam is a communist dominated country. Haiti is dominated by capitalist Christians.

Otherwise, their history is similar. Both were French colonies. Both were taken over by the USA. Both were pawns in the Cold War.

I'm not interested in living in either country. But if I had to choose, it would be Vietnam.
Tom

Effectively there are three governmental systems, all real-world systems are a mix of varying proportions of them. Capitalism, communism and corruption. Just because a nation doesn't have a large amount of communism in the mix doesn't make them capitalist.

This is entirely a matter of how you define "middle class". It has no inherent definition.

I've never seen numbers given for which "tens of millions" is a correct description--that implies at least 20 million.

And all too many of those are people who want to spend the money on luxuries and are betting they won't get sick.

No. US capitalists tried to maintain Vietnam as a colony after the French failed to re-establish it as a colony after WWII.

And where are you getting the notion that the US attacked South Vietnam? What happened is that the North was a communist puppet state and we objected.

Capitalists not liking some government doesn't justify a violent attack of that government.

It's not a matter of "not liking". You could be vile and the US would do nothing. What got you attacked is joining with our enemies.

Democracy.

You always think the puppets are by the will of the people.

The Russians were US allies during WWII. Then the USSR became the enemy of violent US capitalists after WWII. I don't care who the capitalists say are their enemy. It is meaningless and justifies nothing.

I wouldn't call us "allies". Rather, the enemy of my enemy. It was in our interest to help them fight. That doesn't make them allies.

Cuba was driven to the Soviets because the US capitalists refused to trade with the nation.

Chile was not aligned with the Soviet Union.

And Nicaragua was not aligned with the Soviet Union.

I know for a time US capitalists, like the scumbags they are, lied about Soviet connections and somehow thought it justified violent overthrow and attack. It never once justified an attack of anyone.

Denying it doesn't make it go away.

This is entirely a matter of how you define "middle class". It has no inherent definition.

It is shrinking no matter how you define it.

Only the very rich are improving.

I've never seen numbers given for which "tens of millions" is a correct description--that implies at least 20 million.

Data from the US Census Bureau indicates that a total of 27.5 million Americans had no health insurance during 2018.

https://policyadvice.net/insurance/insights/how-many-uninsured-americans/

Things have gotten worse since 2018. That is pre-COVID and pre-deranged anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers.

And where are you getting the notion that the US attacked South Vietnam?

By looking at what actually happened and not merely believing the lies from blood thirsty sick US capitalists.

What happened is that the North was a communist puppet state and we objected.

Delusion. They were no puppet of anyone. That was the whole problem the US had. The South wanted to stop being a puppet for US imperialism.

What got you attacked is joining with our enemies.

That is not justification and they were not my enemies. They were simply the enemies of sick blood thirsty US capitalists.

I don't give a damn about the enemies of sick disturbed intolerant US capitalists. They are not allowed to attack anyone.

Logical fallacy.

Data from the US Census Bureau indicates that a total of 27.5 million Americans had no health insurance during 2018.

Did a bit of checking--5.4 million of those are illegals and another 6.4 million are eligible for government care but didn't apply. That makes the true number more like 15.7 million. And 3 million of those have enough income they're not eligible for ACA subsidies--that is purely by choice. If they lose that bet, too bad.

Logical fallacy.

Irrational criticism from outer space. Meaningless.

Drivel.

Every income group below the top 15% has either been stagnant, which means losing ground to inflation, or gotten worse in relation to real costs.

The price of homes has risen substantially in the last 5 years.

Incomes have not.

Did a bit of checking--5.4 million of those are illegals and another 6.4 million are eligible for government care but didn't apply. That makes the true number more like 15.7 million. And 3 million of those have enough income they're not eligible for ACA subsidies--that is purely by choice. If they lose that bet, too bad.

You did no fact checking.

You went to a fascist right wing lying website.

Where is your link?

Once again:

1. Data from the US Census Bureau indicates that a total of 27.5 million Americans had no health insurance during 2018.

Census Bureau.

Not some right wing disinformation site you frequent.

And all too many of those are people who want to spend the money on luxuries and are betting they won't get sick.

People who don't have health insurance are considered to be "people who don't have health insurance" even if the reason they lack the insurance is that it seems much too expensive to them. Anyway, the CBO uses the word "citizens"; perhaps this is wrong ... or do the figures exclude non-citizens, residing legally or not?

https://policyadvice.net/insurance/insights/how-many-uninsured-americans/ said:
According to the CBO, the number of American citizens who are uninsured in 2020 is around 31 million. This number is expected to increase significantly due to the changing mindset of the population.

But, I'd like a ruling. :) Does "tens" imply at least 20? I used to think so, but on The.Other.Message.Board anything above the unit took the plural. We say "Let's take the Ford. It has 1.1 gallons of gas in its tank, but the Chevy only has one gallon."

And where are you getting the notion that the US attacked South Vietnam? What happened is that the North was a communist puppet state and we objected.
Was the North a "puppet" state? Do you have a source that agrees with that view? Some of the governments in the South were described as puppets of the U.S.

One important treaty called for an early reunification via election. The U.S. had reason to reject such a plan:
Dwight David Eisenhower in 1954 said:
I have never talked or corresponded with a person knowledgeable in Indochinese affairs who did not agree that had elections been held as of the time of the fighting, possibly eighty percent of the population would have voted for the Communist Ho Chi Minh as their leader rather than Chief of State Bảo Đại. Indeed, the lack of leadership and drive on the part of Bảo Đại was a factor in the feeling prevalent among Vietnamese that they had nothing to fight for.

Support for the Southern regime improved after 1954 (due in part to CIA propaganda campaigns) but an honest referendum was never held in the South.
Wikipedia said:
In a referendum on the future of the State of Vietnam on 23 October 1955, Diệm rigged the poll supervised by his brother Ngô Đình Nhu and was credited with 98.2 percent of the vote, including 133% in Saigon. His American advisors had recommended a more "modest" winning margin of "60 to 70 percent." Diệm, however, viewed the election as a test of authority.

Irrational criticism from outer space. Meaningless.

Drivel.

Every income group below the top 15% has either been stagnant, which means losing ground to inflation, or gotten worse in relation to real costs.

Are you looking at pandemic effects? Because that's not what the big picture says.

The price of homes has risen substantially in the last 5 years.

Price changes in one area aren't evidence of inflation. Our house went up about 2.5x from when we bought it to the peak of the bubble--but then crashed back down to about what we paid for it.

You did no fact checking.

You went to a fascist right wing lying website.

Where is your link?

My data came from a site with a left bias: Wikipedia.

Once again:

1. Data from the US Census Bureau indicates that a total of 27.5 million Americans had no health insurance during 2018.

Census Bureau.

Not some right wing disinformation site you frequent.

Nope, you're using biased data.

I have no problem with your 27.5 million figure, I do have a problem with what you claim it is. That is 27.5 million people in America, not 27.5 million Americans. You're counting 5.6 million illegals in there (and some number of legal permanent residents, also.)

I also don't think those who simply didn't apply for Medicaid shouldn't be counted against the system. Nor do I think those who have plenty of money but simply choose not to have health insurance should be counted against it. (I used to know one of those--80k, single/no children, chose to go without.)

People who don't have health insurance are considered to be "people who don't have health insurance" even if the reason they lack the insurance is that it seems much too expensive to them. Anyway, the CBO uses the word "citizens"; perhaps this is wrong ... or do the figures exclude non-citizens, residing legally or not?

The Wikipedia data has a subcategory of illegals. Thus the main number must include citizens/LPRs/illegals. Edit: I forgot a whole bunch of legal non-permanent residents. (H, J, F and EB visas come to mind. Some can eventually become permanent residents but none are while on those visas.)

But, I'd like a ruling. :) Does "tens" imply at least 20? I used to think so, but on The.Other.Message.Board anything above the unit took the plural. We say "Let's take the Ford. It has 1.1 gallons of gas in its tank, but the Chevy only has one gallon."

To me, quantity units like "tens" require at least two. Standard use of fundamental units ("gallons") get the plural if not exactly one--the lawn mower holds .2 gallons of gas. If you treat the quantity units like you treat the fundamental units you get the "fact" that tens of millions of people have been president of the United States.

Was the North a "puppet" state? Do you have a source that agrees with that view? Some of the governments in the South were described as puppets of the U.S.

"Were described as" doesn't make it so. That's very much a weasel.

Are you looking at pandemic effects? Because that's not what the big picture says.

Pandemic effects are worse.

A few are getting much richer. The people who need it the least are gaining.

And all the rest are falling.

Price changes in one area aren't evidence of inflation.

Nice strawman.

All over the entire nation average home prices have risen in the last 5 years. Never everywhere. Nobody can anything about everywhere.

Our house went up about 2.5x from when we bought it to the peak of the bubble

You bought at the peak of the bubble?

I could have guessed.

Nope, you're using biased data.

Nonsense.

I have no problem with your 27.5 million figure, I do have a problem with what you claim it is.

I don't claim it. The US census bureau claims it.

You have no legitimate source for your claims.

That is 27.5 million people in America, not 27.5 million Americans. You're counting 5.6 million illegals in there (and some number of legal permanent residents, also.)

That's a sick Trump-like lie based on nothing.

You have no link. Saying 'Wikipedia' is not a link.

And frankly I want those humans here helping our economy to have healthcare. Because they come to my hospital anyway. And if they are very sick they are treated. And the hospital eats the costs.

Pandemic effects are worse.

A few are getting much richer. The people who need it the least are gaining.

And all the rest are falling.

People with jobs that had to be in-person of course suffered. That is not a failure of the economic system.

Nice strawman.

All over the entire nation average home prices have risen in the last 5 years. Never everywhere. Nobody can anything about everywhere.

Housing isn't all products.

Our house went up about 2.5x from when we bought it to the peak of the bubble

You bought at the peak of the bubble?

I could have guessed.

Try reading again.

I have no problem with your 27.5 million figure, I do have a problem with what you claim it is.

I don't claim it. The US census bureau claims it.

You have no legitimate source for your claims.

That is 27.5 million people in America, not 27.5 million Americans. You're counting 5.6 million illegals in there (and some number of legal permanent residents, also.)

That's a sick Trump-like lie based on nothing.

You have no link. Saying 'Wikipedia' is not a link.

And frankly I want those humans here helping our economy to have healthcare. Because they come to my hospital anyway. And if they are very sick they are treated. And the hospital eats the costs.

I notice no attempt to address what I said.

Alexandria ocasio cortez on state of Puerto Rico - YouTube back in September 2018
Nice speech. She talked about Puerto Rico being subject to the PROMESA board, and she advocated a Marshall Plan and "self-determination" for that island. She also called for a Green New Deal and a "just transition" to renewable energy. She also said that she wants to "leave this world" with the satisfaction of having established single-payer healthcare and other such things.

Forbes on Twitter: "CLIMATE CORPS: Rep. @AOC speaks about why younger people should take charge of fighting climate change and why a Civilian Climate Corps is needed (link)" / Twitter
The original of that tweet.

House Members Push For High-Speed Rail As Part Of Infrastructure - YouTube

"Democratic Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Seth Moulton are in support of adding high-speed rail funding to the president's infrastructure plan, and they join Morning Joe to discuss the importance of high-speed rail and their new commission around the issue."

The interview started with a former Republican (Morning Joe himself?) praising AOC and her campaigners for knocking on doors and talking to people during the pandemic, unlike so many other Democrats. That may have contributed to their unexpectedly poor performance last year.

AOC and SM then put in a plug for high-speed rail and unionized workforces for building renewable-energy-friendly infrastructure.

She also noted that certain fossil-fuel lobbies are very opposed to high-speed rail and mass transit. Seth Moulton and Morning Joe noted that some other nations are far ahead of the US, nations like China.

AOC is concerned that bipartisan deals tend to underserve parts of the nation like her district.

Then about Joe Manchin and what he wants about voting rights. AOC mentioned some leaked phone calls between JM and some big-money lobbyists.

SM mentioned how highway building gets a 80-90% match from the Federal Gov't, airport building 80%, and HSR nothing. He suspected that this was from big-money lobbyists.

Full interview at NBC Meet the Press:
Full Ocasio-Cortez Interview: Biden Shouldn't Be 'Limited By Republicans' - YouTube
Nice interview.

AOC cautions Biden to avoid being 'limited by Republicans' on infrastructure bills
“In those areas where there is agreement, Republicans are more than welcome to join so that we can get this work on infrastructure done. But that doesn’t mean the president should be limited by Republicans, particularly when we have a House majority, we have 50 Democratic senators and we have the White House,” Ocasio-Cortez said.

“This is our one big shot, not just in terms of family, child care, Medicare, but on climate change.”
That's a healthy attitude toward bipartisanship. Willingness to cooperate with Republicans without compromising one's values. Very different from Barack Obama's bending over backward to please Republican politicians.

She states that about the reconciliation bill that what's in it is more important than how much it is, though there will nevertheless be a such thing as too little. She says that having a lot of money for fossil-fuel subsidies would be a bad thing.

The host quoted Kyrsten Sinema from a recent Op-Ed: "'Would it be good for our country if we did, only to see that legislation rescinded a few years from now and replaced by a nationwide voter-ID law or restrictions on voting by mail in federal elections, over the objections of the minority?""

AOC dismissed that argument as defeatist. Like saying why do anything at all if some later politicians might undo some of it. She said that some Democratic legislation is popular, like Social Security, Medicare, and Obamacare, and she noted that Republicans have had little success in rolling any of it back.

Working Families Party 🐺 on Twitter: ""Our job is to legislate. Our job is to help people. Our job is to do as much as we can." - @AOC today (link)" / Twitter
and
Jeff Stein on Twitter: "AOC today on the filibuster debate (pic link)" / Twitter

Meet the Press on Twitter: "EXCLUSIVE: @AOC calls out supporters of the filibuster: "Why defend a 60-vote filibuster?”

#MTP Ocasio-Cortez: "Political systems all across the world pass legislations with majorities and they're fine." (link)" / Twitter

She asks why not 70 votes? Or 80 votes? Early modern Poland went even further, effectively requiring unanimity with its "liberum veto". That made it easy to obstruct Poland's parliament, thus enabling its neighbors to annex chunks of that nation in the Partitions of Poland of 1772, 1793, and 1795. After the third one, Poland disappeared off of the map, and only reappeared after World War I.

The US is not in much danger of being carved up by Canada and Mexico, but a Congress paralyzed by obstructionists is not a very effective Congress.

AOC then pointed out that Democratic Senators represent several million more people than Republican ones, so there is already a built-in filibuster-like mechanism.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: ExxonMobil lobbying tactics ‘used against’ climate legislation ‘shameful’ - YouTube - "We spoke to leading Democrat Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and began by asking for her reaction to our ExxonMobil revelations."

She said that it is "shameful" what sort of access EM's lobbyists have, and she said that it is rare to see such lobbying efforts exposed so soon afterwards. Like an EM lobbyist having weekly check-ins with Sen. Tim Manchin. AOC continued with how there is a widespread crisis of confidence in elected officials, because they seem more responsive to big donors than to ordinary people. AOC herself avoids that problem by depending on lots of small donations. As to the "For the People Act", certain Democrats are unwilling to support it because it takes aim at funding by lobbyists.

House Democrats unveil spending bill to boost staff pay, maintain lawmaker pay freeze | TheHill
House Democrats on Wednesday unveiled an annual legislative branch spending bill that includes $134 million to help boost congressional staffer pay while maintaining the lawmaker pay freeze that's been in place for more than a decade.

A group of 110 lawmakers, led by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), submitted a letter to the House Appropriations Committee last week asking for a 21 percent increase in congressional office budgets for the next fiscal year.

“If we as members are to fulfill our responsibility to govern effectively for the people and deliver on our majority’s promises to renew faith in government by ensuring that Congress reflects the American people we serve, we must be able to recruit and retain a diverse and talented workforce to help members, leadership, and committees carry out their work," they wrote.
AOC Leads 110 Members in Calling on Congress to Reverse Cuts to Staff Salaries | Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Rep. AOC on the Need for Paid Leave - YouTube - "On Thursday, June 24th, the Oversight Committee held a hearing on the need for comprehensive paid leave for the federal workforce and beyond"

She has 3 months of parental leave for her staffers -- for not only mothers but also fathers. She considers her policy a big success.

Opinion: AOC's master class in crushing Trumpian lies - CNN
Mentioning AOC's response to MTG:
Did AOC lash out with righteous rage against the smears and lies Greene had spewed? Nope, instead AOC responded to Greene's smears and words with seven words: "First of all, I'm taller than her.
In response to MTG calling her "a little girl".
And boom -- that tweet went wildly viral. By early Sunday afternoon it had over 470,000 likes and more than 47,000 retweets. For perspective, Greene's "Thank you for having me, President Trump!" rally tweet, which embedded a video clip of Trump speaking, had about 9,400 likes. Ouch, that had to hurt Greene

AOC and Chuck Schumer TOUT child tax credit in advance of the first checks - YouTube - "Majority Leader Senator Charles Schumer and Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and Jerry Nadler hold a press conference on the expanded Child Tax Credit, in advance of the first checks being sent out next week in New York."

AOC spoke some Spanish there. I don't know of any voice autotranslator, so I can't check it.

What AOC was talking about:
Unearthed on Twitter: "REVEALED: How Exxon held back climate action for decades, and is still doing it today. We went undercover with Exxon’s lobbyists to expose the truth. Watch and share. (vid link)" / Twitter
noting
Inside Exxon’s playbook - Unearthed - "ExxonMobil aims to drastically weaken Biden’s climate plans and used shadow groups to ‘aggressively’ fight climate science, insider tells undercover reporter"
Keith McCoy – a senior director in Exxon’s Washington DC government affairs team – told the undercover reporter that he is speaking to the office of influential Democratic senator Joe Manchin every week, with the aim of drastically reducing the scope of Biden’s climate plan so that “negative stuff”, such as rules limiting greenhouse gas emissions and taxes on oil companies, are removed.

Virtual Town Hall with Rep. AOC on Infrastructure, Child Tax Credit & COVID Funeral Assistance - YouTube

AOC wants to lift the US embargo on Cuba, and she says that the Biden Admin has been unwilling to do so in order to have leverage over that nation's leadership. "The cruelty is the point", she says. She describes how the Trump Admin reversed the Obama Admin's steps to weaken that embargo, and how that admin declared that Cuba was a terrorist state. That made it difficult to get medical supplies to Cuba. She then talked about how the Obama Admin would abstain in UN votes on resolutions condemning that embargo and that the Biden Admin would vote no on them.

She recognizes what a bad thing that Cuba's leaders have done in trying to suppress criticism of them and demonstrations against them, bit she sees no contradiction between that and ending the embargo on Cuba.

She then talked about how reconciliation works, a Senate procedure for bypassing the filibuster. She followed that by describing some of the goodies in the $3.5T bill. Like a Civilian Climate Corps, inspired by the original New Deal's Civilian Conservation Corps. It's a big expansion of AmeriCorps, which already exists.

Then someone from the IRS explained how to get the child tax credit.

Then questions. She called the infrastructure bills a "down payment" on what needs to be done. She wants the minimum age of Medicare lowered to 0, but she's willing to reduce its minimum age to 60 or 55 or 50. She is working on a Green New Deal for transportation.

She also talked about reaching out to people who are vaccine hesistant. She notes that the best sort of person is someone close to them. "Don't be judgmental." Be armed with info about the virus. She notes that the original COVID-19 virus needs 15 minutes of exposure to be infected, while the delta variant needs only 5 to 8 seconds for that. THe delta variant is also more dangerous to young people than the original.

She notes that one can be a carrier of the virus to the elders in one's life and also that many survivors have various chronic conditions. She says that some people decided to get vaccinated after 3 to 5 conversations, so one should not expect quick success.

She still supports student-loan cancellation, and she notes a lobbying effort for it that is slowly chipping away at opposition to it. She also notes a lobbying effort to reduce interest on student loans.

Then some questions from reporters.

She considers the $3.5T bill a progressive victory, even if it is not as small as some progressives had wanted. She also considers it a victory that it contains a lot of progressive priorities.

House Passes Rep. AOC's Bronx, Queens Community Project Funding Requests | Representative Ocasio-Cortez
This includes the Jacobi Hospital anti-violence initiative Reps. Ocasio-Cortez, Bowman & Sen. Schumer highlighted in early July

Late Thursday, nine funding requests for community projects in New York’s 14th Congressional District passed the House of Representatives. The proposed projects include mental health services for a Cure Violence program, capacity building for a housing counseling non-profit, after school program enrichment, workforce training in green jobs and home healthcare, and facilities upgrades for Plaza Del Sol Health Center and Elmhurst Hospital. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez initially requested funding for these projects in early May. More details on the projects can be found below.
But then again, I've never seen AOC grumble about pork barrel. In fact, she's sometimes bragged about the bacon that she has brought home for her district. Even if all bacon is pork in this metaphorical sense also.

How AOC uses visual design as a powerful messaging tool - Los Angeles Times
noting
After the Capitol insurrection, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez started backpacking | Outside Business Journal
noting
Unlikely Hikers ™ on Instagram: “I’ve got so much gratitude for this shout out in @aoc’s stories, along with all of my faves, and I’m thrilled to see her find peace and grounding in nature. Check out slide 2 to see our mention! 👆💨
She asked about “Favorite women, poc, lgbt+, LNT, conservation, etc camping accounts?” and she reposted a sizable list of such accounts that her followers mentioned.

“Last weekend, a lot of you asked … how I take time off, how I care for myself, which I appreciate the question,” she says in the video, speaking to the camera with blue sky behind her and a pack on her back. Then she turns the phone to show the larger scene: a large, flat-rock outcropping with the landscape falling away behind. “This is one way, we started backpacking right here in New York.”

Later in the video, she says: “After the insurrection, I felt like I really needed a practice to help ground me. It was getting a lot harder for me to settle my mind in the immediate aftermath.”
She talked about hiking in places like Pelham Bay Park and Orchard Beach in the Bronx in NYC, then advanced to an overnight backpacking trip in upstate NY.

"Her use of therapeutic language, and suggestions of easy places to start, sound much like a friend trying to nudge you toward a Couch to 5K."

That is Couch to 5K: week by week - NHS -- run more and more each week.

The story may seem simple — telling her 8.8 million followers what she did that weekend, just like a regular millennial — but it was also a powerful demonstration of Ocasio-Cortez’s ability to get her message across visually, through graphic design, through fashion, and through social media.
Though she doesn't seem very good at whiteboards, unlike her good friend Katie Porter.
As Caroline Framke wrote for Variety, after Ocasio-Cortez’s Feb. 1 Instagram Live on her Capitol experience: “In making herself this accessible, Ocasio-Cortez purposefully upends the traditional image of the Washington politician who’s typically buffed and polished within an inch of their life. By simply turning on her phone after work hours, Ocasio-Cortez invites people into her home as if she’s just FaceTiming to say hi and let you know what’s going on at work.”
The article then discussed the artistic design of AOC's campaign posters. "Her yellow posters, featuring the candidate looking toward the future with her name in slashes of purple type, were distinctive in a sea of red, white and blue."
In June, Ocasio-Cortez and other Northeast lawmakers argued that President Biden’s $2.3-trillion infrastructure package should include more funding for high-speed rail. “Rail is climate infrastructure,” the congresswoman said at a news conference. “For every buck that we’re going to put into a car and a bridge, we want to put a buck into a rail. We want equity.”
By comparison,
The old way of image-making is to dismiss lipstick questions as irrelevant, to present all messaging from behind a podium and to rely on other people’s cameras to capture the politician in casual moments. Look at the way Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg’s forays into cycling — an activity consistent with his climate change message — have reached the public eye: through prepared Zoom remarks at the National Bike Summit and through other people’s social media as he tools around Washington, D.C.

AOC spends a lot of time in her district: Treat Yourself Jerk 🇯🇲 on Instagram: “Thank you @aoc for stopping by! Hope you enjoyed our “disrespectful” hot sauce! #queensinternationalnightmarket #blackowned #smallbusiness #jamaica
#jerkchicken”
and Burmese Bites (Myo Lin Thway) (@burmesebites) • Instagram photos and videos

Beacon Press: The AOC Generation - "How Millennials Are Seizing Power and Rewriting the Rules of American Politics" by David Freedlander
The AOC Generation examines the resurgent young left—including groups like Justice Democrats, the Democratic Socialists of America and Brand New Congress—and documents how and why they got active and energized in political organizing, the success and limitations of their approaches—and through their stories, it tells the history and the future of a generation.
AOC features prominently in it, and her story is certainly a very interesting one.

AOC and the Making of Millennial Politics | The Nation
While running for Congress in 2018, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was fond of saying “Women like me aren’t supposed to run for office.” It was the sounding note of her two-minute, campaign-defining ad, produced for $10,000 by democratic socialists in Detroit. By “a woman like me,” Ocasio-Cortez meant something specific: a woman born to the working class, in a place (the Bronx) where “your ZIP code determined your destiny,” a woman who had waited tables and tended bar, endured the gendered indignities of low-wage service work, and whose family was plunged into precarity by her father’s death. The work of governing the nation supposedly called for other credentials—often wealth, connections, and Ivy League degrees. As Brecht once wrote, “Those who lead the country into the abyss / Call ruling too difficult / For ordinary men.”

Indeed, for some on the left, AOC’s rapid rise seemed almost too good to be true. Conditioned by history to anticipate defeat—to associate competence with compromise and marginality with virtue—the American left can be suspicious of victory itself. But as Freelander’s book reminds us, AOC is not merely a singular phenom; she is a product of her times. She owes her rise, and her convictions, to an array of political figures, factions, and forces, whose advent bodes well for the future of the left. “No person, no matter how dynamic, is the product only of their own will and talent,” Freelander writes. “All of us are pushed quietly along by thousands of unseen hands, are the product of society and circumstance, the place we were born into and the people we come to know.”

While a group narrative has sociological merits, one wonders whether Freedlander’s choice to focus more on the supporting cast also stems from the fact that the star stopped returning his calls. ...
But then again, it's good to learn about the other people in this New New Left movement, something that AOC herself would appreciate, I'm sure. New New Left? Seems rather awkward, but it seems like a third generation of left-wing movements. The first one, the Old Left of Marxism and labor unionism, we can call Left I. The second one, the New Left of Sixties radicalism, we call call Left II. This most recent left-wing movement we can call Left III.

Back
Top Bottom