• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "In observance of Facebook being down, let’s all share our favorite stories of democracy working in hopeful ways and coolest evidence-based reporting. Bonus points for uplifting others in comments 😌⬇️" / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I’ll start:
Here’s a great story about the rise in worker coops across the US during the pandemic and the increased popularity of workplace democracy: (link)" / Twitter

noting
Be Your Own Boss: More Co-op Businesses Are Returning Workers’ Power – Mother Jones
At worker cooperatives, workers both own and run the business. Sometimes they must buy in to become owners, and they may also have representation on a board of directors. Worker-owners tend to benefit far more directly from their co-op’s economic success, as the proceeds and the control stay with them. While co-ops make up a small portion of US small businesses, the pandemic and its aftermath have helped popularize the model. According to Mo Manklang, policy director of the nonprofit US Federation of Worker Cooperatives, there are now 465 verified worker-owned co-ops in the country, up 36 percent since 2013. And about 450 more are in their start-up phase.
Back in early 2020, in her MLK-day conversation with Ta-Nehisi Coates, AOC suggested that Jeff Bezos turn Amazon into a worker-run co-op.

Tim Burchett on Twitter: "4.3 million workers quit their jobs. We need to quit paying folks not to work." / Twitter
He's R-TN-02, a Tennessee Republican in House District 2.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Y’all already did ..." / Twitter
Y’all already did over a month ago despite everyone having data that ending UI doesn’t push people back to work.

Conservatives love to act like they’re “fiscally savvy” yet remain puzzled as to why people can’t work a job whose pay won’t even cover the childcare costs to work 🤡

Quitting being UI ineligible aside, the idea that laziness is why ppl stay home contradicts the “free market ideals” these folks pretend to champion.

Markets apply to labor, too. If supply is low & demand high, price goes up. People seem to accept that for everything but wages.

And by the way, free time is VALUABLE. People pay for time routinely, whether it’s in delivery, services, etc. It’s not lazy to stay home w family- it can lower costs.

700k+ people in the US have died of COVID so far. Do people think that has no impact on labor supply/ capacity?

devilette on Twitter: "Thousands in Puerto Rico are protesting the imposed US government privatization of the electricity grid that’s left unprecedented outages & billing increases since June. The large scale protest demands the cancellation of the contract with LUMA. 💪🏼🔥 (vid link)" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I want to take a moment ..." / Twitter
I want to take a moment to thank every person who contributes to our campaign, whether with your small dollars, time, or spirit.

Not only are you why we can do this work, but you also prove that we can elect and support people to Congress free of dark money & corporate lobbyists

You also show the world what political campaigning can look like beyond stuffed mailboxes and scary TV ads.

It is mutual aid, organizing trainings, workshops, volunteer tutoring, and more.

Thank you.💟 If you haven’t yet, check it out. community is here: (link to her campaign website)

Then
People for Bernie on Twitter: "Q3 fundraising totals:
AOC: $1,679,781
Kyrsten Sinema: $1,138,017" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "It’s 2021. You don’t have to put corporate lobbyists over people to legislate, fundraise, and win.

It’s insulting to tell everyday people who worked tirelessly for a majority that they must suffer insane drug prices,no voting rights,& climate disaster for political convenience." / Twitter

AOC, Torres tours Rikers Island; calls for end to ‘crisis’
New York Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ritchie Torres and Carolyn B. Maloney toured Rikers Island Tuesday amid plenty of turmoil at the city prison complex.

The three Democrats visited the island and spoke with Rikers officials about the facility’s current state.

They also called on the city to address Rikers’ “inhumane conditions.”

“Today, we saw firsthand the horrific conditions that individuals incarcerated on Rikers Island are living under and the support staff and corrections officers are working under. It is inexcusable that the number of in-custody deaths on Rikers Island has more than quadrupled over the past two years, including five individuals who have died of suspected suicides this year alone,” the trio said in a statement following their tour.

The representatives also pointed to releasing low-level offenders in addressing overcrowding on Rikers Island.

“To address overcrowding, we can act today by beginning the decarceration process, supporting individuals’ return to their communities, and working with the Courts to reduce pretrial sentencing and to expedite hearings for those currently incarcerated,” said the group.
AOC, Torres and Maloney decry ‘inhumane’ Rikers Island after touring jail
Democratic Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ritchie Torres and Carolyn Maloney said they were horrified by the conditions facing prisoners and staff alike.

“The inhumane conditions we witnessed today are a stain on the City and State of New York,” the lawmakers said in a Tuesday statement.

Calling Rikers a “humanitarian crisis,” the three lawmakers called for immediate action to ease overcrowding such as releasing non-violent offenders awaiting trial.
Maloney, Ocasio-Cortez, and Torres Tour Rikers Island | Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney
Torres, AOC, Maloney, and Suozzi tour Rikers
That's Rep. Tom Suozzi.
“I have enormous empathy for the plight of the correction officers. The system sets up both the correction officers and the detainees to fail,” Torres said in an interview after the visit. He noted that many of the officers were women of color.

Torres recently spearheaded a letter to President Joe Biden and the Department of Justice, requesting a federal intervention and civil rights investigation. All New York City House Democrats signed the letter.

The DOJ so far has not responded to that letter, Torres said Tuesday.
noting NYC congressional Dems want Biden to intervene at Rikers

NY Rep AOC, Torres and Maloney denounce NYC Rikers Island - New York Daily News

Peter Sterne on Twitter: "So @AOC just sent out this email with the subject line "My tips for burnout." I assumed it was one of those thinly-veiled fundraising emails with a faux-informal subject line that tricks you into opening it, but nope. It really was just an email about dealing with burnout. (pic link)" / Twitter
A pleasant surprise.
Peter Sterne on Twitter: "@AOC Here's the full email that AOC sent out about her tips for dealing with burnout: (pix link)" / Twitter

Jennifer Bendery on Twitter: ".@AOC sent out a lengthy campaign email a bit ago talking about how she deals with burnout + offered some tips she's learned on how to get past it.

It doesn't ask for $ or anything (tho there is a "donate" button at the bottom).

What an... unexpected and nice thing to read. (pix link)" / Twitter

Peter,

Earlier this week, I posted an AMA - Ask Me Anything - on Instagram, and received a question about burnout.

Burnout, especially in these times, seems to have become extremely common. When there is so much happening in the world around you and in your direct sphere of influence, it can be especially overwhelming. That's why I wanted to share some of the tips I've learned here about recovering from and preventing burnout.

First off, if you're feeling burnout - I'm sorry. Burnout is awful, and especially hard to manage because it's hard to figure out that 1) you're burnt out and 2) what to do about it. I've experienced burnout in both big and small episodes, and having been there and back a few times, here's what I've learned:
  1. It's important to create healthy expectations and compassion for yourself when recovering from burnout. This sucks, but burnout can take a long time to recover from. In some cases it can take weeks, months, or even years - but don't panic. No matter how burnt out you are, you can recover.
  2. Burnout has a lot of contributing factors - it's not just working long hours (though that can be a contributor). It's much deeper than that. Think of your whole self as a cup. Participating in certain activities that are physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally demanding means that you're pouring from your cup. These may be activities you choose and even love, but you're still pouring from your cup to participate in them.

A healthy balance is when you both fill and pour from your cup. When you do things you've always wanted to do, or that bring you joy and are just for you you fill your cup. But when you're obligated to fulfill mentally, physically, spiritually, or emotionally demanding work that crowds out any time or energy for you to do things that fill your cup, your cup runs dry - and that's burnout.

It can happen over months and years, or during shorter but highly traumatic periods. So what do you do?
Recovering and healing from burnout is really hard, because while you may be able to get some rest - rest alone won't heal it. You need to start doing the opposite of what got you here: which means you've got a prescription for indulgence and strong boundaries.
  1. For the indulgence piece, recovering from burnout is about replenishing your energy and carving out time for YOURSELF. You need to refill your energy bar both physically and spiritually/mentally. If you're physically exhausted, you need to spend time a being a total potato in bed for hours and not feel guilty about it. But if you're spiritually/mentally drained, then you need to write a list of things you selfishly want to do just for you.

They could be small things like cooking a nice meal, getting your nails done, or playing hooky with a friend for a day, or big things like scratching off a bucket list item. And start prioritizing them. Put them on your schedule. Cancel other things so you can do these, because if you don't start refilling your cup, things will only get worse. Filling IS your cup is your job now.
  2. On boundaries, there's a lot of stuff we do because we feel like we have to, even if we don't actually have to do it. Some of this "have to" comes from ourselves and the pressure we put on ourselves, but some of it also comes from other people who may use guilt to get things from you. Feeling guilty is intense, and it can feel much easier in the moment to pour from your cup In order to avoid guilt, so we just say "yes" to everything. Not anymore. Your standard for saying yes just got much higher. You need to delegate, cancel, and ask for help. Get those things off your calendar. You might upset some people, but that's something you need to get used to.

I say this for myself as well, because I get guilted into doing things too. It's my theory that women and people of all genders who are raised and programmed to give, get burnt out more because we're not taught to say "no." People will always feel entitled to you and your time to either avoid pouring from their own cup or to fill theirs up. Sometimes they have no idea it's your last drop. That's why you need to learn to say "no." If you continue to say "yes" and you betray yourself to pour more from your cup, eventually your body will say "no" for you you could get sick or have an accident. Your health is more important.

When you're burnt out, you need to consciously be working to fill your cup more than you pour out. It can be hard, but you need to try to get to a 1-to-1 ratio. Here's my advice: don't think of work or other commitments as one big pour. We make lots of decisions at work at or for our families. Start with microscopic decisions that reduce the pour. Does that meeting really need to be 30 minutes, or could 15 minutes or maybe an email suffice? If you don't have a desk job and instead work shifts, can you start committing to an after-shift activity for yourself that's not happy hour? Can a family member be doing more? Do your kids need you to do something for them, or have they gotten used to you doing something for them?

Just start to ask these questions and assess. You need to be like the IRS in spiritually auditing the use of your time and energy. It may feel ruthless and selfish at first, but consider the alternative of potentially developing a chronic illness or a panic attack.
Also, no matter what you do, you always need to have something to look forward to. Having nothing to look forward to creates real despair. So schedule that haircut, book a yoga class, or put a "Do not disturb 8-9 PM" on your door when you get home and just watercolor, journal, or whatever you want. You need scheduled things to look forward to. found that when I've pre-planned time off, blocked it off on my calendar it and scheduled around it, my life started to feel way more manageable. When I started to let that practice slip, it felt overwhelming again.

And make sure you communicate where you're at with the people asking for things from you, sO that they can understand and start to help you out. Like I said, recovering from burnout may not be easy, but it is possible. Carve out that time for yourself and fill your cup. You can do this.

Take care,

Alexandria
So great, and so sweet. It's so nice to see something like that.

Her message got a lot of nice press.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Sends Out Tips on Dealing With Burnout
"he email recommended setting boundaries with work and making time for self care." and "People dealing with burnout need to ruthlessly assess the best use of their time and energy, she said."

Rep. AOC advice for dealing with burnout from job, exhaustion - "Need to heal from burnout? Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s tips are surprisingly useful, according to a burnout coach"

Back in 2020, before that message:

Rep. AOC advice for productivity, positivity and work-life balance - "How AOC stays productive and positive: ‘I’m always trying to do less’"

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez morning routine and schedule - "Inside AOC’s daily routine: ‘I am an aspiring morning person’"

Her message got a lot of nice press.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Sends Out Tips on Dealing With Burnout
"he email recommended setting boundaries with work and making time for self care." and "People dealing with burnout need to ruthlessly assess the best use of their time and energy, she said."

Rep. AOC advice for dealing with burnout from job, exhaustion - "Need to heal from burnout? Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s tips are surprisingly useful, according to a burnout coach"

Back in 2020, before that message:

Rep. AOC advice for productivity, positivity and work-life balance - "How AOC stays productive and positive: ‘I’m always trying to do less’"

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez morning routine and schedule - "Inside AOC’s daily routine: ‘I am an aspiring morning person’"
I'm very curious as to why she joined Boebert, Gosar and a few others to vote against the Aid for Ukraine bill.

Short interview:
AOC Says Parents Against Critical Race Theory are Turning a Blind Eye - "Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez thinks folks who oppose Critical Race Theory in schools are burying their heads in the sand when it comes to the country's history ... which ain't always pretty."

Followed by a bit where she said that the suspension of Whoopi Goldberg for some Holocaust comparisions was excessive.

She also grumbled about what some politicians seem to be able to get away with.
Annie Grayer on Twitter: "On the House floor, Liz Cheney entered this into the record calling out Jim Banks for sending letters to government agencies claiming he is the ranking member of the 1/6 committee even though he is not on the committee. (pic link)" / Twitter
Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Feels like there are a zillion scandals a month ..." / Twitter
Feels like there are a zillion scandals a month Republicans get in that would result in my expulsion or sanction if I ever did the same

I know it’s a tired thing to say, but over time it’s a bummer to experience how systematically an institution treats different people

I wore a dress a month ago and people lost their minds in vitriol and attack.

Meanwhile we have members fraudulently claiming positions to access confidential information, abusing campaign funds, and raking in big pharma cash while blocking leg and we just normalize it and shrug

It never stops astounding me how much caution and work goes in every single day to get everything right, 2x as good, to avert even the perception of a mistake, bc if one happens it’s explosive. Just to look aside & know if you did anything close to what your peers do it’d be over

It’s not imposter syndrome when institutions actually do treat you differently yet pretend they don’t

It’s not imposter syndrome when institutions treat hardworking newcomers like invaders, yet normalize & accept deep corruption or incompetency from ppl we’re “used” to in power

Anyways this one goes out to anyone in any workplace or setting who deep down knows they need to put in Olympic level effort just to be treated as equivalent to a junior varsity walk-on.

I see you. It’s not fun, but it’s real - and it’s not in your head. Keep shining ✨
That dress was a fancy dress with "TAX THE RICH" on it.

I'm very curious as to why she joined Boebert, Gosar and a few others to vote against the Aid for Ukraine bill.
Which bill is that? I've yet to see anything from her about that, and if her tweets are any guide, she is firmly pro-Ukraine and not a Putin-lover like Donald Trump or Tulsi Gabbard.

Which bill is that? I've yet to see anything from her about that, and if her tweets are any guide, she is firmly pro-Ukraine and not a Putin-lover like Donald Trump or Tulsi Gabbard.
You could be right. Sometimes a representative votes against a bill in order to ask for improvements to it. But below is the vote:

BTW: side not, but I am so done with Tulsi.

Thanx for that article link. Aid to Ukraine was part of a big spending bill:
Congress passed the defense and homeland security portions of the $1.5 trillion omnibus spending package on Wednesday, which included providing Ukraine and other Eastern European countries with $13.6 billion in defense and other aid to counter Russian aggression. The House voted 361-69 to back funding for the Pentagon, Department of Homeland Security and other national security priorities. Fifty-four Republicans and 15 Democrats voted against it. Three members abstained.

More than $6.5 billion of that $13.6 billion will go to the Pentagon, while $3.9 billion will go to the State Department to provide humanitarian assistance to Ukrainians. A further $2.8 billion will go to the U.S. Agency for International Development to provide aid for vulnerable people in Ukraine and Eastern Europe. The Justice Department will get smaller sums.
From the numbers, the vote was most likely this vote Not just AOC but the entire "Squad" voted against it, and also the likes of Pramila Jayapal. On the Republican side, MTG, Lauren Boebert, Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert, and Paul Gosar voted against it, though Madison Cawthorn voted for it.

The Squad: AOC, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar, Cori Bush, Jamaal Bowman

Waleed Shahid on Twitter: "😭😭😭 (vid link)" / Twitter
AOC said that she does indeed have phone conversations for Bernie Sanders, and that AOC considers BS a friend. AOC got started in politics campaigning for BS in 2016, and she was recruited by some BS campaign veterans to run for office. They'd formed Brand New Congress, a PAC whose organizers had the ambition of acting like a third party, but within the two major parties. Justice Democrats is an offshoot of that PAC.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "It’s true ☺️ Love ya tío @BernieSanders, thank you for your friendship even though you may not see this and don’t have apps on your phone 🧓🏻👩🏽" / Twitter

How did she discover that?

Tío is "uncle" in Spanish, so he's Uncle Bernie. Rashida Tlaib has called him Amo Bernie (amo = paternal uncle in Arabic), though Ilhan Omar hasn't called him uncle in Somali.

Thanx for that article link. Aid to Ukraine was part of a big spending bill:
Congress passed the defense and homeland security portions of the $1.5 trillion omnibus spending package on Wednesday, which included providing Ukraine and other Eastern European countries with $13.6 billion in defense and other aid to counter Russian aggression. The House voted 361-69 to back funding for the Pentagon, Department of Homeland Security and other national security priorities. Fifty-four Republicans and 15 Democrats voted against it. Three members abstained.

More than $6.5 billion of that $13.6 billion will go to the Pentagon, while $3.9 billion will go to the State Department to provide humanitarian assistance to Ukrainians. A further $2.8 billion will go to the U.S. Agency for International Development to provide aid for vulnerable people in Ukraine and Eastern Europe. The Justice Department will get smaller sums.
From the numbers, the vote was most likely this vote Not just AOC but the entire "Squad" voted against it, and also the likes of Pramila Jayapal. On the Republican side, MTG, Lauren Boebert, Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert, and Paul Gosar voted against it, though Madison Cawthorn voted for it.

The Squad: AOC, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar, Cori Bush, Jamaal Bowman
I don't believe that is accurate. I think it was an amendment to the Omnibus. And really, "the squad" has proven to be a bunch of featherweights.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Major NY14 climate victory today! 🌎
Earlier this year, fossil fuel co NRG began to rush high-pollution, fracked-gas peaker plants into our community.
We organized all year against it while securing wind + solar projects. Today the plant was denied.
When we mobilize, we win💪🏽 (vid link)" / Twitter

Showing some video of her from earlier that year speaking before some activists, and lots of interview snippets with anti-powerplant activists.

She'd addressed this issue some months earlier in her participation in a committee hearing.
At Committee Roundtable, Frontline Communities Discuss Dangers of “Peaker” Power Plants & Urgent Need for Environmental Justice | Representative Ocasio-Cortez
Washington, D.C. (August 27, 2021) — Yesterday, Representative Carolyn Maloney, Chairwoman of the Committee on Oversight and Reform, held a field roundtable to hear directly from frontline communities that have been disproportionately burdened by pollution from power plants and discuss new environmental justice proposals the Committee will spearhead to curb deadly pollution and direct federal resources to the hardest-hit communities.

“Peakers are the dirtiest and most dangerous smokestacks, used at times of peak energy demand and largely concentrated in low-income communities,” Chairwoman Maloney said in her opening statement. “For the 1.2 million New Yorkers living within one mile of a peaker, rates of asthma and deaths from COVID-19 are severely elevated. In addition to the noxious fumes from peaker plants, these residents are exposed to constant pollution from large power plants that run all the time, and chronic vehicle congestion. Convening with communities on the ground to address issues like this one is central to the Oversight Committee’s environmental justice agenda.”

Lpetrich — Thanks again for this thread! Alexandria truly is a modern American heroine.

I'm very curious as to why [AOC] joined Boebert, Gosar and a few others to vote against the Aid for Ukraine bill.
"Joined" is a misleading word here! AOC has spoken in favor of humanitarian and defensive military aid for Ukraine, while Boebert and Gosar are presumably part of Tucker Carlson's anti-anti-Putin campaign.

AOC is worried about a "slippery slope" that could land the U.S. in another precarious military adventure. For over 70 years U.S. Presidents have asserted the right to wage war with no Congressional declaration, so her worry may be justified. My impression is that she would have voted Yea if the military support for Ukraine were worded more carefully.

I think Boebert plans to vote No on ANY big Democratic spending bill, but both she and Gosar explicitly cited the southern U.S. border as explaining their opposition to helping Ukraine: Why should we spend money on a foreign war when thousands of brown-skinned rapists are climbing over Trump's Wall with impunity?

Gosar was one of only 3 Congresscritters to vote No in a Resolution in support of Ukraine which passed 426-3. Key Tweet-bites from that article:
Paul Gosar Q-AZ explaining his vote on Ukraine said:
Talk to me when our border is secure.
Mitt Romney said:
I've got morons on my team.

Lpetrich — Thanks again for this thread! Alexandria truly is a modern American heroine.

I'm very curious as to why [AOC] joined Boebert, Gosar and a few others to vote against the Aid for Ukraine bill.
"Joined" is a misleading word here! AOC has spoken in favor of humanitarian and defensive military aid for Ukraine, while Boebert and Gosar are presumably part of Tucker Carlson's anti-anti-Putin campaign.

AOC is worried about a "slippery slope" that could land the U.S. in another precarious military adventure. For over 70 years U.S. Presidents have asserted the right to wage war with no Congressional declaration, so her worry may be justified. My impression is that she would have voted Yea if the military support for Ukraine were worded more carefully.

I think Boebert plans to vote No on ANY big Democratic spending bill, but both she and Gosar explicitly cited the southern U.S. border as explaining their opposition to helping Ukraine: Why should we spend money on a foreign war when thousands of brown-skinned rapists are climbing over Trump's Wall with impunity?

Gosar was one of only 3 Congresscritters to vote No in a Resolution in support of Ukraine which passed 426-3. Key Tweet-bites from that article:
Paul Gosar Q-AZ explaining his vote on Ukraine said:
Talk to me when our border is secure.
Mitt Romney said:
I've got morons on my team.
I don't know. I think that she might in the future regret that vote. I wouldn't want to be on the same side with Gosar and Boebert on anything. I feel that the invasion in Ukraine is starting to tilt against Putin. But it's very close. Could go either way. China could easily tilt it back against Ukraine. It would be a huge win for liberal democracy if the west with weapon and supplies could help Ukraine enough to stop imperialism in its tracks without getting the US into a direct war.

No, she isn't. Every time she has shown savior faire, she usually then shows short-sightedness. She was the keystone of "the gang", but she is not living up to the very large image some projected of her, though honestly, that could have been impossible. But overall, Ocasio-Cortez appears more lightweight than heavyweight.

I'm not certain how much more restraint she needs to see out of the Biden Administration. And you can't be in "favor" of defense aid and humanitarian aid while voting against it.

Back