• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

The article then continued with how AOC seemed to have become wimpy, like once calling NP "Mama Bear". Which shows a difference between the Progressive Squad and the Tea Party: Jim Jordan never called John Boehner "Papa Bear".

"As another sign, Ocasio-Cortez swapped out the staffers from her Justice Democrats days for standard Capitol Hill types."

At least one of them deserved to go, IMO: Saikat Chakrabarti, for comparing some Dem Congresspeople to Southern segregationists.

She endorsed Cori Bush in 2018, but not in 2020, she barely mentioned M4A, and she offered campaign donations to some swing-seat centrist Democrats. That made neither side happy. The Left called her a sellout, and those Dems refused those contributions.

The article then continued with how AOC seemed to have become wimpy
She'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a GND today?
At least one of them deserved to go, IMO: Saikat Chakrabarti, for comparing some Dem Congresspeople to Southern segregationists.
Not for being a fan of a Nazi collaborator?
bose2.png

She endorsed Cori Bush in 2018, but not in 2020, she barely mentioned M4A, and she offered campaign donations to some swing-seat centrist Democrats. That made neither side happy. The Left called her a sellout, and those Dems refused those contributions.
Are you saying AOC is going too mainstream? Maybe she is planning to primary Gillibrand in 2024 after all. In a statewide election she'd need a broader support than in her ultrasafe D+28 district.

🎧 LEVER TIME: AOC Sounds The Alarm About Biden 2024 - the audio original of that Jacobin article
Transcript: Lever Time | AOC Sounds the Alarm About Biden 2024

A part of that interview was paywalled, however. 🎧 LEVER TIME PREMIUM: AOC On DC’s “Psychologically Manipulative Environment”

“It really feels like going to another planet with different social rules. Let’s say you get elected speaker. You don’t get there without raising an ungodly amount of money, because you are not just raising money for yourself, you are raising money for an entire political party that constitutes hundreds of people. The whole society is structured around it… And if you do not participate in this, you will be stonewalled. And you will be cast out from society.”

With this focus on fundraising, it is not surprising that she got the cold shoulder from many fellow Democrats, since the one she primaried was a big fundraiser in the party: Joe Crowley. But she herself has shown that she can be a big fundraiser, even if a fundraiser in a different fashion.

Krystal Ball stated in a podcast that AOC described how manipulative the Biden admin could be, like implying that she is not on their team for not supporting them.

You added the following since I replied to that particular post yesterday:

I give you credit for creativity, but detachment from reality reveals the intellectual bankruptcy of your vitriolic assertion.
I'll give you points for the creativity of your insults, but as usual you are far off the mark.
Try arguing against her ACTUAL positions
I do all the time, in great detail. See for example post #5,478. Note that you did not respond to it.
Sometimes it's both fun and poignant to condense her positions to "unicorn farts" (i.e. she does not think we have a need to produce oil and gas and transport them, and doesn't realize it's not feasible to replace them in the short or even medium term) or "money grows on trees" (she thinks it's trivial for GND to cost $60-100T because money printer can just go brrrr).

- and don’t forget to compare them to MTG’s.
Why? MTG has no supporters on here, much less fans. If you want to start a MTG-centric thread and post her tweets and interviews like lpetrich is doing with his crush, you are more than welcome to.

Elixir said:
Try arguing against her ACTUAL positions
I do all the time, in great detail. See for example post #5,478. Note that you did not respond to it.
WTF?
How is ending Coal arguing against her?
You are obviously battling a figment of your imagination. Almost like AOC is a threat to all that you agree with her on?
And you expect a response to that?
Read and learn:

First I want to give you some props for at least trying to engage with a substantive point.
hans-landa-landa-bravo.gif

It is not. That is where we agree. The problem is that the reason US was able to reduce coal consumption as much as we did in recent years is because of natural gas, specifically fracked gas. We will need more gas, as well as nuclear to reduce coal to zero. She is opposed to gas, nuclear as well as oil, which we will need until 2050s even if we could mandate that all new cars be electric after 2035.
My point is that she, and her GND, is not a serious way to deal with the problem that is climate change.
You are obviously battling a figment of your imagination. Almost like AOC is a threat to all that you agree with her on?
I am not. You are misunderstanding my point. Where I agree with her, that's good. But she ruins it by being too doctrinaire.
Soto, Ocasio-Cortez, Sanders, Merkley Unveil Bill to Ban Fracking Nationwide
She wants to ban the very technology that allowed us to more than halve our consumption of coal.
electricty.png

Yes. But first, I expect you not to strawman my position.
Read and learn:
LMAO! You need to work on your reading comprehension, not me.
But I will play. First let me note that Paul Waldman is a left-wing columnist with no energy policy chops. His PhD is in Communications for fuck's sake.
WaPo said:
The first is that, as Ocasio-Cortez points out, the Green New Deal specifically addresses the need to help people in communities affected by the transition away from fossil fuels. It calls for “directing investments [to] deindustrialized communities, that may otherwise struggle with the transition away from greenhouse gas intensive industries.” That may not be all that specific, but the document itself is a set of goals that isn’t intended to be a nuts-and-bolts road map.
That is a big problem with the GND. It has all these lofty (and unrealistic) goals, but in four years since it was first introduced, AOC and Markey are no closer to proposing a detailed framework of bills to accomplish those goals.
Related to that is that they do not appreciate how big and complex US energy infrastructure is and how difficult it will be to decarbonize it all. Which is why we need triage, get rid of the worst polluter first, which is clearly coal. That means cannot be doctrinaire on things like fracked gas that has been displacing coal since the shale revolution some 15 years ago. There is also zero reason to be against nuclear power, given that it is both very low-carbon and very safe.
5-Bar-chart-–-What-is-the-safest-form-of-energy.png

There are two main reasons: automation, which means many fewer workers can mine the same amount of coal; and falling prices of natural gas (because of the fracking boom) and clean power, which have made coal less competitive.
And AOC and her ilk are very anti-fracking and anti-gas.

The Senators who cosponsored all three versions include Bernie Sanders I-VT, Elizabeth Warren D-MA, and Jeff Markley and Ron Wyden D-OR.

In the House, many of AOC's friends cosponsored it: Jamaal Bowman, Cori Bush, Greg Casar, Pramila Jayapal, Barbara Lee, Summer Lee, Ilhan Omar, Katie Porter, Ayanna Pressley, Delia Ramirez, Jamie Raskin, Rashida Tlaib, ...

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Today we reintroduced the Green New Deal in the House! 🌎 🌱👷🏽‍♂️
We’re also rolling out a new tool: an implementation guide to show communities and organizers how to get federal $ for GND investments in your community.
Check it out: (link)" / Twitter

noting
DELIVERING A GREEN NEW DEAL - delivering_a_green_new_deal.pdf - "How the Inflation Reduction Act and Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Help Bring the Green New Deal to Life"
1. Building resiliency against climate change
2. Repairing and upgrading infrastructure, including by guaranteeing access to clean water
3. Meeting 100 percent of U.S. power demand through clean, renewable, and zero-emission energy sources
4. Building energy-efficient and distributed power grids and ensuring affordable access to electricity
5. Upgrading and constructing new buildings in order to maximize efficiency and affordability
6. Spurring massive growth in clean manufacturing and removing emissions from industry
7. Building sustainable food system and land use practices to cut the climate impact of agriculture
8. Transforming transportation systems, including by investing in public transit and high-speed rail
9. Mitigating and managing the long-term effects from climate change
10. Reducing pollution and greenhouse gases through proven methods like afforestation
11. Restoring and protecting natural ecosystems
12. Cleaning up hazardous waste sites
13. Identifying other emission and pollution sources and providing solutions
14. Promoting the international exchange of technology and expertise, in order to become an international leader on climate action

First I want to give you some props for at least trying to engage with a substantive point.
hans-landa-landa-bravo.gif

It is not. That is where we agree. The problem is that the reason US was able to reduce coal consumption as much as we did in recent years is because of natural gas, specifically fracked gas. We will need more gas, as well as nuclear to reduce coal to zero. She is opposed to gas, nuclear as well as oil, which we will need until 2050s even if we could mandate that all new cars be electric after 2035.
My point is that she, and her GND, is not a serious way to deal with the problem that is climate change.
I am not. You are misunderstanding my point. Where I agree with her, that's good. But she ruins it by being too doctrinaire.
Soto, Ocasio-Cortez, Sanders, Merkley Unveil Bill to Ban Fracking Nationwide
She wants to ban the very technology that allowed us to more than halve our consumption of coal.
View attachment 43094

Yes. But first, I expect you not to strawman my position.
Read and learn:
LMAO! You need to work on your reading comprehension, not me.
But I will play. First let me note that Paul Waldman is a left-wing columnist with no energy policy chops. His PhD is in Communications for fuck's sake.
WaPo said:
The first is that, as Ocasio-Cortez points out, the Green New Deal specifically addresses the need to help people in communities affected by the transition away from fossil fuels. It calls for “directing investments [to] deindustrialized communities, that may otherwise struggle with the transition away from greenhouse gas intensive industries.” That may not be all that specific, but the document itself is a set of goals that isn’t intended to be a nuts-and-bolts road map.
That is a big problem with the GND. It has all these lofty (and unrealistic) goals, but in four years since it was first introduced, AOC and Markey are no closer to proposing a detailed framework of bills to accomplish those goals.
Related to that is that they do not appreciate how big and complex US energy infrastructure is and how difficult it will be to decarbonize it all. Which is why we need triage, get rid of the worst polluter first, which is clearly coal. That means cannot be doctrinaire on things like fracked gas that has been displacing coal since the shale revolution some 15 years ago. There is also zero reason to be against nuclear power, given that it is both very low-carbon and very safe.
View attachment 43093

There are two main reasons: automation, which means many fewer workers can mine the same amount of coal; and falling prices of natural gas (because of the fracking boom) and clean power, which have made coal less competitive.
And AOC and her ilk are very anti-fracking and anti-gas.

What an indictment. 🙄

Sounds like you might be a real fanboy if it wasn’t for her being out of your league as a female.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "“Four years ago, our union was asked, ‘Why were you the first and why did you endorse the Green New Deal?’ And we said, ‘We read it.’ This is a plan that is worker centered. And that's why it's going to work.”
Thank you @FlyingWithSara & @AFA_CWA for supporting the GND 💪🏽 💚 ✈️ (vid link)" / Twitter

Sara Nelson of the Association of Flight Attendants labor union.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Happy Earth Day! This year, we celebrated by reintroducing the Green New Deal 🌍 💚 (pix link)" / Twitter -- Becca Balint also there?

Congresswoman Chellie Pingree 🇺🇸 🇺🇦 on Twitter: "We’ve gotten a lot done in the 4 years since we introduced the #GreenNewDeal, but there is still much, much more to do.
We are energized.
We are eager.
And we are ready to keep pushing progress forward on climate action.🌎 (pix link)" / Twitter
-- Pramila Jayapal also there?

Sunrise Movement 🌅 on Twitter: "Today @RepAOC and @SenMarkey reintroduced the Green New Deal! ..." / Twitter
Today @RepAOC and @SenMarkey reintroduced the Green New Deal! We're back BABY!

We've come a long way. And the movement to win the world we deserve is just getting stronger.

Since the original GND was introduced, we set to make climate a rally cry for our generation and a political priority for our politicians. We took to the streets in the millions, we started Sunrise hubs across the country, we elected the next generation of politicians. Fear turned to hope. And that hope changed the 2020 election. Over 20 presidential candidates backed the Green New Deal. President-elect Biden borrowed our ideas to write his climate plan. It was because of the climate movement that President Biden's BBB agenda was a climate and jobs plan.

And today, after organizing and sitting in offices and striking, we helped pass the biggest climate investment in US history – taking us one step closer to the Green New Deal. So today, with the GND's reintroduction, we celebrate how far we come, and look ahead to all we will achieve. Across this country, tens of thousands of young people still dream of a Green New Deal. And we're not done fighting. Together, we will take over, classroom by classroom, school by school, city by city. We will build a mass movement until we reach the country we only know in our dreams.

We will bring the Green New Deal to every corner of America. Sowing the seeds of a GND from the ground up.
Cori Bush on Twitter: "We cannot sit by as our planet and our communities continue to suffer the harm from the climate crisis.
I support the Green New Deal, the jobs it will create, and the positive impact it will have on our planet." / Twitter

Markey and Ocasio-Cortez Reintroduce Green New Deal Resolution
At the press conference, the lawmakers also acknowledged the shortcomings of the Inflation Reduction Act, namely in addressing health and racial justice, supporting sustainable and affordable housing, building a robust care economy, improving public transit, and investing in American education and schools. To help bridge that gap, Senator Markey joined with Representative Ro Khanna (CA-17) to announce the Green New Deal for Health, legislation that will enable the U.S. health care system to respond to climate change by improving sustainability and supporting patients, providers and communities. The Green New Deal for Health is one of 10 Green New Deal bills that have been developed to date - others include the Green New Deal for Public Housing, the Green New Deal for Cities, the Green New Deal for Public Schools, and the Civilian Climate Corps for Jobs and Justice Act.

DELIVERING A GREEN NEW DEAL - delivering_a_green_new_deal.pdf - "How the Inflation Reduction Act and Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Help Bring the Green New Deal to Life"
Delivering?!?!

Given technology that has been demonstrated at even a small scale her GND will make the Depression look like boom times because the cost of electricity will crater the economy. We are at step 0 as far as economic storage systems are concerned, something she completely ignores.

Ro Khanna on Twitter: "The Green New Deal for Health ..." / Twitter
The Green New Deal for Health would revive the landmark New Deal-era Hill-Burton program, authorizing $100 billion in federal grants to be awarded to medical facilities seeking to improve climate resilience & disaster mitigation efforts.

$100 million in grants would ensure uninterrupted access to care, including after climate disasters/extreme weather events, while guaranteeing workers are paid a prevailing wage & facilities meet their obligation to serve neighboring communities.

There is one time in this country when Republicans and Democrats agree on the role of government & that is when there is a natural disaster. It shouldn’t be controversial to say that people should have access to healthcare in times of crisis.
noting
Hill-Burton Act: A Health Care Milestone Worth Remembering : Shots - Health News : NPR
Hill-Burton provided construction grants and loans to communities that could demonstrate viability — based on their population and per capita income — in the building of health care facilities. The idea was to build hospitals where they were needed and where they would be sustainable once their doors were open.

Over the subsequent decades, new facilities sprang up all around the country, including many in the 40 percent of U.S. counties that lacked hospitals in 1945.

By 1975, Hill-Burton had been responsible for construction of nearly one-third of U.S. hospitals. That year Hill-Burton was rolled into bigger legislation known as the Public Health Service Act. By the turn of the century, about 6,800 facilities in 4,000 communities had in some part been financed by the law. These included not only hospitals and clinics, but also rehabilitation centers and long-term care facilities.

What an indictment. 🙄
Sounds like you might be a real fanboy if it wasn’t for her being out of your league as a female.
Your moment of relative lucidity where you at least tried to engage with any substantive matters was fleeting. Unbravo!
Now you are back to your usual personal attacks. While AOC is easy on the eyes, I reject her half-baked ideas. I would not be a "fanboy" of hers even if she had a Fat Bastard fetish. :)

Pramila Jayapal on Twitter: "We need a #GreenNewDeal. Our planet and our future depend on it. (vid link)" / Twitter
Describing how wildfires in WA used to start after August and east of the mountains, and how they are now earlier and more westward.

Rep. Pramila Jayapal on Twitter: "We need a #GreenNewDeal – for the environment, for education, for housing, and for health care. Our planet and our future depend on it.
Proud to stand with @SenMarkey, @RepAOC, and @RepRoKhanna in demanding bold, holistic action that creates jobs and saves lives. (pic link)" / Twitter

Creedal Passion Politics? The End of Yale’s Calhoun College and the Start of a Green New Deal Revolution
Author: Holly Jackson
Adviser: John Dearborn
Undergraduate Thesis
December 6 2019

That refers to Samuel Huntington's theory that US history has had four periods of "creedal passion", to try to bring the US back to its founding ideals. "In terms of American beliefs, government is supposed to be egalitarian, participatory, open, noncoercive, and responsive to the demands of individuals and groups. Yet no government can be all these things and still remain a government." The periods were the Founding Era of the 1770's - 1780's, the Jackson Era of the 1830's, the Progressive Era of the 1900's - 1910's, and the Sixties Era of the early 1960's - mid 1970's.  Cyclical theory (United States history) So it looks like the US is due for another period of creedal passion.

HJ groups the creedal-passion criteria into four groups:
(1) Public appeals to values associated with the Declaration of Independence, the Founders, or the Constitution
(2) Widespread discontent at the current regime
(3) Revolutionary demands in conjunction with new forms of media
(4) Explicit misalignment of ideas and institutions

The GND fits (2), (3), and (4) fairly well, but though HJ tries to argue (1), it is a poorer fit. The GND is a better fit for Franklin Delano Roosevelt's original New Deal and mobilization for World War II. So it evokes an appeal to a different founding era. AOC is not completely uncritical of it, however, noting that it had a legacy of racial discrimination.

Then they try to take credit for it, I think. AOC said that certain people told her that a GND is "not realistic" and "unreasonable" and "a pie-in-the-sky notion". Her response: "watch us work" and not settle for crumbs.
And it remains unrealistic, unreasonable and pie-in-the-sky. Watch her work? Gladly. You yourself admitted that the version of GND introduced this year is virtually identical to the 1.0 version from 2019. So she hasn't been working that much. And isn't what got included in the so-called "Inflation Reduction Act" pretty much the definition of "crumbs"?

We need fossil fuels. Today, tomorrow and for a few more decades for sure. Demonizing a whole industry is just childish.
It's not "radical" to want to drink clean water & breathe fresh air. We need a #GreenNewDeal!
We do not need GND for either of those. We have much cleaner water and air because of laws that were passed decades ago as well as because of technological improvements. Note that the GND is loaded up with much tofu that is not in the least related to climate or the environment.
https://twitter.com/RepAOC/status/1649139979346485252Again, we still need fossil fuels. So why not responsibly use fossil fuels we have in places like Pennsylvania?
I have no idea what Summer Lee being black and female has to do with anything, least of all the GND or fossil fuels. :confused2:

Sara Nelson of the Association of Flight Attendants labor union.
Flight attendants? Surely she means train conductors?
Like what specifically?
I know the climate paramilitaries AOC put into B3 came straight out of GND, but that ill-conceived bill failed.

Since the original GND was introduced, we set to make climate a rally cry for our generation and a political priority for our politicians. We took to the streets in the millions, we started Sunrise hubs across the country, we elected the next generation of politicians.
I see they are very long on messaging, but very short on specific plans.

AOC is ‘not planning’ to run for Senate in 2024 - POLITICO
“She is not planning to run for Senate in 2024. She is not planning to primary Gillibrand,” Lauren Hitt, Ocasio-Cortez’s spokesperson, told POLITICO.
Referring to Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, in office since 2009.
Other possible challengers have already opted out of the race. Former New York Rep. Mondaire Jones, a progressive, has decided he won’t run for Gillibrand’s seat next year after privately considering a bid, according to a person familiar with his plans who was granted anonymity to speak frankly about internal deliberations. Reps. Jamaal Bowman (D-N.Y.) and Ritchie Torres (D-N.Y.) also told POLITICO they are not interested in the race.
AOC's not planning to run is not the same as AOC not running at all, but she has not shown much interest in running.
Bowman, an ally to Ocasio-Cortez, said “weeks ago or months ago maybe, I heard her name” mentioned as a primary contender. But he said he hasn’t heard that “for months or weeks.”
There is another factor.
Indeed, Gillibrand maintains strong personal relationships that may have deterred some challengers, allies and supporters said. That included having what she called a “lovely lunch” with Ocasio-Cortez and her chief of staff in the Senate Dining Room in January.
AOC posed with her back when she was doing social-entreprenership startups, like Brook Avenue Press.

About another possible challenger,
Though most of the chatter about Gillibrand’s vulnerability comes from her left, another Democrat whose name has been floated as a potential opponent is former Gov. Andrew Cuomo. Cuomo resigned amid accusations that he sexually harassed multiple women. He denies the allegations.

A spokesperson for Cuomo declined to comment for this story. The former governor sits on a war chest of about $10 million, but in a state — not federal — elections account.

Back
Top Bottom