• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Deficits are a red herring. They are one of the least important indicators of the merit of a policy platform.

Deficits are completely irrelevant. No serious economist cares about deficits as a problem in their own right; They are an accounting tool that provides just one of many data points to help understand which way things are trending.

I agree with both statements, assuming you're not actually arguing that a large and persistent national deficit doesn't matter at all. Easy for you to say, but if I start telling people that deficits don't contribute to inflation or interest rates, I'll probably get beat up on this side of the ocean.

assuming you're not actually arguing that a large and persistent national deficit doesn't matter at all
I am arguing exactly that.

As a net importer (ie, a wealthy nation with wealthy citizens), a large and persistent national debt is not only not a problem; It's a necessity.

The deficit need not be large; There will even occasionally be years when the economic conditions lead to a surplus, because accidents do happen. But if there is a surplus, that implies either insufficient spending, or excessive taxation, and needs to be corrected.

The objective should be a small deficit, in support of strong economic growth.

If your government can't think of any way to invest money in infrastructure that will more than pay for itself in terms of increased growth, then it's time to elect a more imaginative government.

If your unimaginitive government is collecting as much or more in taxes than it spends (or even nearly as much), then they are not only failing in their duty to improve the nation, they are also overcharging the residents for the privilege of being mismanaged.

Back
Top Bottom