• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

American Taliban released

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
'American Taliban' released from prison, a key case for questions about radicals re-entering society

WTF? He was supposed to serve 20 years (already way too short, but he got a sweet plea deal), but he is being released three years early for "good behavior".
"Good behavior" that included parising ISIS and translating Islamist propaganda.
CNN said:
According to the NCTC report, as of May 2016, Lindh "continued to advocate for global jihad and to write and translate violent extremist texts." In March 2016, the report says, he "told a television news producer that he would continue to spread violent extremist Islam upon his release."
Lindh had made "pro ISIS statements to various reporters," the Bureau of Prisons report also stated.
In an email to his father included in the BOP report, Lindh said that he was "not interested in renouncing my beliefs or issuing condemnations."
[...]
On Wednesday, a local NBC News station in Los Angeles released excerpts from correspondence a producer there had with Lindh from behind bars, where Lindh said in 2015 he thought ISIS was doing a "spectacular job."
"The Islamic State is clearly very sincere and serious about fulfilling the long-neglected religious obligation of establishing a caliphate through armed struggle, which is the only correct method," Lindh told the producer, according to the report.

How the hell is he eligible for early release? And he'll be off parole in mere three years? Whoever is responsible for this needs to be fired.

One would think that any well-behaved inmate who has served 85% of his/her sentence would be eligible for early release.

One would think that any well-behaved inmate who has served 85% of his/her sentence would be eligible for early release.
So you have no problem with a terrorist traitor continuing his extremist activities in prison and getting early release despite it?
Typical far leftist: always on the side of our enemies.

So you have no problem with a terrorist traitor continuing his extremist activities in prison and getting early release despite it?

How about if I pin his arms behind his back and you can punch him in the stomach. Would that make you feel better about the whole thing?

There is a distinct difference between eligibility for early release and receiving early release. You asked how he was eligible for early release. I answered that. Whether he ought to have
received it is a different question.
I think Mr. Lindh is entitled to his political philosophy even if I disagree with it. I think if he actually engages in violating terms of his early release which it appears including engaging in spreading terrorism, he ought to be returned to prison. If he abides by the terms of his release, then I think there is no problem.

Unlike right wing nationalists and their dupes, I do not think people ought to be imprisoned for their political beliefs.

How about if I pin his arms behind his back and you can punch him in the stomach. Would that make you feel better about the whole thing?
Naw. Just don't release him early for "good behavior" when he violated the terms of his parole before he was even released.

I answered that.
In a most useless way. My question was about how is it possible that he was deemed to be on "good behavior" when he was involved in things like writing extremist propaganda and vowed to continue doing that after his release. Especially when the article clearly states that such behavior is against his parole conditions.
CNN said:
According to the NCTC report, as of May 2016, Lindh "continued to advocate for global jihad and to write and translate violent extremist texts." In March 2016, the report says, he "told a television news producer that he would continue to spread violent extremist Islam upon his release."
[..]
Lindh is not allowed to have any online communications in any language other than English unless otherwise approved, cannot communicate with a known extremist, and cannot possess or view "material that reflects extremist or terroristic views."
In other words, he should not have been released.

I think Mr. Lindh is entitled to his political philosophy even if I disagree with it. I think if he actually engages in violating terms of his early release which it appears including engaging in spreading terrorism, he ought to be returned to prison. If he abides by the terms of his release, then I think there is no problem.
He already violated them.

Unlike right wing nationalists and their dupes, I do not think people ought to be imprisoned for their political beliefs.
Giving material support to terrorists goes well beyond merely holding a political belief.

Naw. Just don't release him early for "good behavior" when he violated the terms of his parole before he was even released.

Don't worry. In about 20 years, maybe a little less, one of our Trump Temple shooters will have his first turn at the parole board.

In a most useless way.
I answered the question "How the hell is he eligible for early release" precisely and on point, so I understand why you deemed it a "most useless way".
My question was about how is it possible that he was deemed to be on "good behavior" when he was involved in things like writing extremist propaganda and vowed to continue doing that after his release. Especially when the article clearly states that such behavior is against his parole conditions.
Apparently his behavior was deemed good. His views are not behavior.
In other words, he should not have been released.
That is your biased opinion.

He already violated them.
No, those are the conditions of his parole. He was not on parole at the time. Duh.
Giving material support to terrorists goes well beyond merely holding a political belief.
He is not given material support to anyone. Really, get a grip.

I answered the question "How the hell is he eligible for early release" precisely and on point, so I understand why you deemed it a "most useless way".

You missed the essence of the question, which was about how anybody in their right might could confuse John Walker (ironic name for a Muslim, eh?) Lindh with somebody behaving well.

Apparently his behavior was deemed good. His views are not behavior.
Translating terrorist/extremist propaganda is behavior.

That is your biased opinion.

No, it is my well considered opinion.

No, those are the conditions of his parole. He was not on parole at the time. Duh.

If you start violating conditions of the parole before you are even released, you should not be released. Double duh!

He is not given material support to anyone. Really, get a grip.
You should get a grip.
NBC News said:
Lindh’s correspondence with journalists and other comments he made in prison formed part of the basis of a 2016 U.S. intelligence document, produced by the National Counter Terrorism Center, saying that he “continued to advocate for global jihad and to write and translate violent extremist texts.”

But I do not find it surprising at all that you support the enemies of the US. It's just par for the course.

You missed the essence of the question, which was about how anybody in their right might could confuse John Walker (ironic name for a Muslim, eh?) Lindh with somebody behaving well.
Your responses miss the essence of my answer according to your article, his behavior in prison was very good- well-mannered, docile and non-violent.
Translating terrorist/extremist propaganda is behavior.
Translating propaganda is legal.

If you start violating conditions of the parole before you are even released, you should not be released. Double duh!
First, there is no way to know what the conditions of the parole will be. Second, the parole is based on the person's record and who they are at the time of the parole. Third, one's political views should have no bearing on eligibility for parole.
That is not material support.

But I do not find it surprising at all that you support the enemies of the US. It's just par for the course.
I am not supporting anyone per se. Lindh served 17 years out of a 20 year sentence and earned an early release based on his actual good behavior as a prisoner. If Lindh violates the conditions of his release, he will be returned. I strongly suspect he will be under surveillance for the rest of his time in the USA if not his enter life. I would not be surprised if his release was approved by US counterintelligence in order to keep under surveillance in the civilian world.

Unlike kneejerk nationalists, bigots, Islamaphobes and their dupes, I happen to think our freedoms (which include freedom of political views) are a virtue and strong point. But, I am not surprised at your unamerican views on these matters.

The big question is, at best, what is he going to do outside of prison?

Even IF he's been rehabilitated into a model citizen, where is he (a notorious ex-con) going to fit into society?

I don't see anywhere.

Moose

Even IF he's been rehabilitated into a model citizen, where is he (a notorious ex-con) going to fit into society?

I don't see anywhere.

Moose

Well, the same is true of any ex-con. Just because there will be issues reintegrating then into society isn’t a reason to keep them behind bars. It’s a reason to devote resources to aiding with those issues.

I don't see anywhere.

Moose
Interestingly, according to the cited article, Lindh is an Irish citizen now. So maybe he will move (or be deported) to Ireland once his parole is over.

Considering all of the restrictions placed on Lindh, I can't understand why anyone would object to his release. He is an American citizen and unless he makes a direct threat on someone, he does have freedom of speech, just like any member of a hate group does.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/21/us/politics/american-taliban-john-walker-lindh.html[/URL

Other probation provisions require mental health counseling and prohibit Mr. Lindh from communicating “with any known extremist” or owning, watching or reading “material that reflects extremist or terroristic views.”

I'd be willing to bet that he will be closely surveilled by the FBI etc. Hopefully, once he's integrated back into society, his radical views will moderate some. It is suggested that he be given a more moderate/liberal Muslim mentor, to help him understand that his views are well outside the views of the majority of Muslims.

I'm far more concerned about the rise of far right white terrorists, as they have committed most of the recent acts of mass murders, then I am about one disturbed man who has served 17 years in prison and will be closely monitored by the government.

I don't see anywhere.

Moose

Well, the same is true of any ex-con. Just because there will be issues reintegrating then into society isn’t a reason to keep them behind bars. It’s a reason to devote resources to aiding with those issues.

I fully agree with you, and I was not trying to argue against him being released. But outside of prison it would seem that he and other ex-cons much have no way to exist.

Offhand, it would seem to call for some sort of "halfway house" existence. And that would amount to a kinder an gentler prison.

He seems to be screwed regardless of where he is allowed to exist.

I don't have the answer.

Moose

I don't see anywhere.

Moose

I fully agree with you, and I was not trying to argue against him being released. But outside of prison it would seem that he and other ex-cons much have no way to exist.

Offhand, it would seem to call for some sort of "halfway house" existence. And that would amount to a kinder an gentler prison.

He seems to be screwed regardless of where he is allowed to exist.

I don't have the answer.

Moose

It's pretty hard for me to have much sympathy for him. He joined a group that bullied and tortured people to death.

He was not put into prison fro what he believed, but for the consequences that resulted from his actions.

He was not put into prison fro what he believed, but for the consequences that resulted from his actions.
And ld was talking about the basis for his release, not incarceration.

"imprisoned" means "locked up". "released" means "let go"... you seem to have gotten the terms backwards, maybe. I bolded what you quoted for clarity.

Back
Top Bottom