• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And it's gone ...

"These Hamas rockets threaten the MAJORITY of the Israeli population"

Wow, with all that firepower on their side Hamas actually sucks at killing Israelis.
American's are such hypocrits! We go insane when our borders are being invaded by illegals seeking to peacefully improve their lives. We are militarizing our southern borders. But Israelis are bad when they are trying to stop a group from launching rockets into their country! If Mexico started launching missiles into Texas, we'd show less mercy the Israel currently is. I'm sorry that the Gazians have such a shitty economy, but no country should have to live with rockets being constantly fired at them.
If all this was was some well fed and free Palestinians launching rockets you would have a point.

If we ignore all the reasons these rockets are being fired, the decades of abuse and oppression, you would have a point.

It's a shame that the reality is so much more than Israel doing nothing unusual and being attacked for no reason.

Wow, with all that firepower on their side Hamas actually sucks at killing Israelis.
American's are such hypocrits! We go insane when our borders are being invaded by illegals seeking to peacefully improve their lives. We are militarizing our southern borders. But Israelis are bad when they are trying to stop a group from launching rockets into their country! If Mexico started launching missiles into Texas, we'd show less mercy the Israel currently is. I'm sorry that the Gazians have such a shitty economy, but no country should have to live with rockets being constantly fired at them.
Actually, there really isn't much hypocrisy. Those losing their trousers over the illegal immigration catastrophe feel that Israel should be allowed to pave over the Gaza Strip. Those who think the illegal immigration issue isn't quite as alarming and should be dealt with with reason are typically those who think Israel is losing their mind and not helping things with the military effort.

Aren't too many out there digging post holes for an uber US-Mexico fence while talking to the others about how the Gazans are gettings the unfair end of the stick.

If all this was was some well fed and free Palestinians launching rockets you would have a point.

If we ignore all the reasons these rockets are being fired, the decades of abuse and oppression, you would have a point.

It's a shame that the reality is so much more than Israel doing nothing unusual and being attacked for no reason.

Well, I never said that Gazians don't have a excuse to be damn mad. But it is human instinct, when being attacked, the attackee will hit back. The lethality of the attack doesn't matter. But I stand by my earlier comment, Israel is far more reserved and careful than the US. We will sometimes attack perceived enemies who may attack us in the future!

Well, I never said that Gazians don't have a excuse to be damn mad. But it is human instinct, when being attacked, the attackee will hit back. The lethality of the attack doesn't matter. But I stand by my earlier comment, Israel is far more reserved and careful than the US. We will sometimes attack perceived enemies who may attack us in the future!
Israel is oppressing these people.

It is not showing any restraint.

It is oppressing people until they resist with violence then killing them.

Actually, there really isn't much hypocrisy. Those losing their trousers over the illegal immigration catastrophe feel that Israel should be allowed to pave over the Gaza Strip. Those who think the illegal immigration issue isn't quite as alarming and should be dealt with with reason are typically those who think Israel is losing their mind and not helping things with the military effort.

Aren't too many out there digging post holes for an uber US-Mexico fence while talking to the others about how the Gazans are gettings the unfair end of the stick.

That's a good point. However, I think that it's easy for Americans who are relatively safe to criticize people for reacting to missiles being fired at their families. When I was younger, I beat up a guy who got mad at my wife and slapped her. She was never in danger. And she wasn't in that much pain. But when someone attacks your family, it brings out the primal anger in most people. You don't make peace with people by pissing them off. Hamas knows this. The fact of the matter is that they don't want peace, never have.

However, I think that it's easy for Americans who are relatively safe to criticize people for reacting to missiles being fired at their families.
Israel has every right to defend itself from those rockets.

But it has to use all peaceful means to end them first.

Something Israel refuses to do. It refuses to negotiate an end to this. It just flat out says it won't negotiate with Hamas.

The people it must negotiate with, it refuses to negotiate with.

That's a good point. However, I think that it's easy for Americans who are relatively safe to criticize people for reacting to missiles being fired at their families. When I was younger, I beat up a guy who got mad at my wife and slapped her. She was never in danger. And she wasn't in that much pain. But when someone attacks your family, it brings out the primal anger in most people. You don't make peace with people by pissing them off. Hamas knows this. The fact of the matter is that they don't want peace, never have.
Hamas fires rockets that may do a little damage. Israeli military force is killing hundreds of civilians. Hamas is a nuisance and Israel is reacting with asymmetrical force that is doing nothing to prevent future rocket attacks.

doing nothing to prevent future rocket attacks.
Many of those rockets are being destroyed on the ground. That (and lose explosives) is what all those secondary explosions are that accompany many Israeli strikes. The more dangerous bigger rockets with longer ranges and bigger warheads are vulnerable because they are much more difficult to haul around.

Yeah, they're not very effective.

The normal rules on the use of force do not require that you be no more accurate than your attacker. Potentially lethal force is potentially lethal force, it doesn't have grades.

Not for lack of trying.

Right. That's the idiocy of the caption.
They have huge-ass weapons, supposedly. Lots of them. And they try like hell to kill as many Israelis as possible.
And EITHER they are the worst Keystone Cops EVAH; I mean, like, ever.... or perhaps the incredible firepower and killing intent they allegedly possess is exaggerated.

They have the firepower. It's just that their weapons are very inaccurate and Israeli civil defense is very good--by the time the rockets fall most people have gotten to shelter and these days the most dangerous ones are shot out of the sky. They seem to kill more Palestinians with short-falling rounds than they kill Israelis.

Note, also, that when the barrages get heavy the places closest to Gaza are pretty much evacuated.

- - - Updated - - -

How about the casualty figures in Gaza.

Even the BBC now admits there seems to be an elephant in the room:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28688179

although they are still downplaying the size of it.
Even at a 10 to 1 exaggeration, there is a 100 to 1 civilian to civilian casualty disparity.

You're missing the point again.

The article was talking about the demographics of the dead--far too many young males. In other words, it's not just about all civilians like Hamas pretends.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, Hamas keeps them from being well fed and free so they're willing to risk it all attacking Israel.

However, I think that it's easy for Americans who are relatively safe to criticize people for reacting to missiles being fired at their families.
Israel has every right to defend itself from those rockets.

But it has to use all peaceful means to end them first.

Something Israel refuses to do. It refuses to negotiate an end to this. It just flat out says it won't negotiate with Hamas.

The people it must negotiate with, it refuses to negotiate with.

Israel will talk. It's the Palestinians that won't actually agree to peace.

Look at what's happened now--Hamas is the one that ended the cease fire because they haven't gotten concessions. They're getting their asses whipped and yet they're demanding concessions to stop shooting.

- - - Updated - - -

Hamas fires rockets that may do a little damage. Israeli military force is killing hundreds of civilians. Hamas is a nuisance and Israel is reacting with asymmetrical force that is doing nothing to prevent future rocket attacks.

Rockets blown up on the ground are rockets that don't get fired against Israel.

Rocketeers that get blown up in the act mean that Hamas has to be a lot more elaborate about firing their rockets, effort spend hiding is effort not spent attacking.

Look at what's happened now--Hamas is the one that ended the cease fire because they haven't gotten concessions. They're getting their asses whipped and yet they're demanding concessions to stop shooting.
What's happening now is that Israel is saying it will keep it's boot on the throat of Gaza, but it does not in any way want to pay for this crime.

Rockets blown up on the ground are rockets that don't get fired against Israel.

Rocketeers that get blown up in the act mean that Hamas has to be a lot more elaborate about firing their rockets, effort spend hiding is effort not spent attacking.
Is this some sort of Hamas rockets in the gaps fallacy?

What's happening now is that Israel is saying it will keep it's boot on the throat of Gaza, but it does not in any way want to pay for this crime.
Obviously both sides reckon that continuing the conflict benefits them. Hamas wants easing the blockade, and has not received harsh enough ass-whipping yet to give that up. Israel thinks it benefits more from beating Hamas into submission than negotiating a deal that would give Hamas long term advantage, plus Iron Dome is working out well enough for them.

My bet is that Hamas will run out of rockets first.

Obviously both sides reckon that continuing the conflict benefits them. Hamas wants easing the blockade, and has not received harsh enough ass-whipping yet to give that up. Israel thinks it benefits more from beating Hamas into submission than negotiating a deal that would give Hamas long term advantage, plus Iron Dome is working out well enough for them.

Yea, Hamas want's lifting of the embargo so that it can build more and better rockets and can rebuild it's tunnels.

Yea, Hamas want's lifting of the embargo so that it can build more and better rockets and can rebuild it's tunnels.
I think maintaining it's grip on Gaza by showing "victory" is at least an equal motivator. Plus getting its own cronies out of Israeli jails.

For Hamas it is either the slow steady continuing crushing of life in Gaza or resisting and being bombed.

It has no good choice.

Yet of course even though it has no good choice it is at fault.

You don't make peace by letting your emotions control your reactions either. Hamas doesn't want peace. But the gov't of Israel doesn't want peace either - the continual increase of settlers and settlements in the West Bank are proof of that.

Back
Top Bottom