• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And the Pick is in!

Opoponax

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Apathetic Atheist
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-supreme-court-nominee/index.html

Two senior Democratic sources in particular say Trump picked a tougher fight than he had to by choosing Kavanaugh, saying it reopens Bush-era controversies like torture, and puts both Roe v Wade and defending pre-existing conditions under the Affordable Care Act back on the table.

This is gonna sound crazy, but I hope they reverse Roe v. Wade and give it back to the states. Blue states will keep it; red states will ban abortion and then they can reap the shit storm that'll come from it. It may even have the added bonus of young people fleeing those states, thereby creating a brain drain. Even if that does happen though, they'll still have manifold more unwanted kids to pay for through education and social services. But then they won't spend that money, so many of those kids will become criminals, which will create a delicious crime problem for them, which in turn will cost them even more money.

Second, I hope red state citizens really start losing their healthcare. I know that sounds bad, but they deserve it. Voted for Stein? Voted for Johnson? Voted for Trump? Didn't vote?

Well, tough titty. Elections have consequences.

Those who weren't lazy or didn't make an idiotic decision, feel free to come out west. California has about 40 million people, but it's a big place. There's room for more. Washington and Oregon have lots and lots of room for more people. So get out here. Or go to New York or one of the other blue states.

Or those people can stay in red states and luxuriate in back alley abortions, unfettered gun ownership, Jesus, and an eventual crime wave.

Two senior Democratic sources in particular say Trump picked a tougher fight than he had to by choosing Kavanaugh, saying it reopens Bush-era controversies like torture, and puts both Roe v Wade and defending pre-existing conditions under the Affordable Care Act back on the table.

This is gonna sound crazy, but I hope they reverse Roe v. Wade and give it back to the states. Blue states will keep it; red states will ban abortion and then they can reap the shit storm that'll come from it. It may even have the added bonus of young people fleeing those states, thereby creating a brain drain. Even if that does happen though, they'll still have manifold more unwanted kids to pay for through education and social services. But then they won't spend that money, so many of those kids will become criminals, which will create a delicious crime problem for them, which in turn will cost them even more money.

Second, I hope red state citizens really start losing their healthcare. I know that sounds bad, but they deserve it. Voted for Stein? Voted for Johnson? Voted for Trump? Didn't vote?

Those who weren't lazy or didn't make an idiotic decision, feel free to come out west. California has about 40 million people, but it's a big place. There's room for more. Washington and Oregon have lots and lots of room for more people. So get out here. Or go to New York or one of the other blue states.

Or those people can stay in red states and luxuriate in back alley abortions, unfettered gun ownership, Jesus, and an eventual crime wave.

I totally agree with you. 100%. Voting or lack of has consequences. I know several women who are upset about this. Well a majority of white women either voted for Trump or didn't make their vote account. Well, guess what is going to happen. Maybe having the courts in the firm hands of the religious right will wake people up into making their votes count.

And look:

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/ind...-reflect-dark-reality-women/story?id=56232222

"In 2017, 58 percent of American women of reproductive age lived in a state considered either hostile or extremely hostile to abortion rights," said Megan K. Donovan, senior policy manager at the Guttmacher Institute, a Washington, D.C.-based reproductive rights research group. "It's very confusing that we have a constitutional right to abortion but how you actually are able to access that health care that you do [have a right to] depends on your zip code."

Online searches about self-induced abortion began to rise sharply in 2011 when there was an upswing in state restrictions on legal abortion, data scientist Seth Stephens-Davidowitz, who has studied internet search trends on self-managed abortions, told "Good Morning America." And the searches are most common in states with stringent restrictions.

Long story short is that when women feel threatened by conservative legislation, they begin to seek ways to perform their own abortions. You know, fun stuff.

Ah, it's Kavanaugh. Waiting for next year when Trump picks Ginsberg's replacement. That'll be an interesting choice.

Ah, it's Kavanaugh. Waiting for next year when Trump picks Ginsberg's replacement. That'll be an interesting choice.

I agree that this will probably happen. But if a miracle happens, and the dems take the senate - no more Trumpster supreme picks!

I agree that this will probably happen. But if a miracle happens, and the dems take the senate - no more Trumpster supreme picks!

The Democrats are not going to take the Senate. I'd be equally surprised if they take the House. The Supreme Court is going to be a wholly owned subsidiary of the conservative agenda for at least a generation.

Sorry, but that's just the reality.

Why is this in the Presidential Politics subsection?

Supreme Court Justices are given lifetime appointments by the President; same for all other federal judges. It's the most powerful long term thing that the president can do, other than pushing the button.

I totally agree with you. 100%. Voting or lack of has consequences. I know several women who are upset about this. Well a majority of white women either voted for Trump or didn't make their vote account. Well, guess what is going to happen. Maybe having the courts in the firm hands of the religious right will wake people up into making their votes count.

Disgusting post, from both of you.
Even if this is irony I sincerely hope that you no political influence whatsoever.

Reactions: WAB
I suspect he was chosen because he feels that presidents should not be "burdened" by investigations or prosecutions of law breaking.

The Democrats are not going to take the Senate. I'd be equally surprised if they take the House. The Supreme Court is going to be a wholly owned subsidiary of the conservative agenda for at least a generation.
Unless Trump's legacy is SO shitty that they can get away with impeaching all of his nominations...

Even if this is irony I sincerely hope that you no political influence whatsoever.

What is disgusting about it? Are you saying that if a party win's an election and controls every lever of government that they shouldn't implement their agenda? I'm hoping that having our asses kicked so badly in 2016 will cause an overreach by the republicans leading to motivating the dems to turn out in 2018 and 2020.

Sorry, but that's just the reality.

You're probably right. But there is a real chance that the republicans will dramatically overreach their power. They control everything now. But there is a chance that they will badly piss over the country and motivate Americans to get off their ass and make their votes count.

What is disgusting about it? Are you saying that if a party win's an election and controls every lever of government that they shouldn't implement their agenda? I'm hoping that having our asses kicked so badly in 2016 will cause an overreach by the republicans leading to motivating the dems to turn out in 2018 and 2020.

I think Juma's point is that abortions still occur even when illegal. They're just self inflicted. No one wants that.

So the guy who says the President shouldn't need to be investigated is named the nominee, to join Clarence (a Republican President can murder people in the street without me lifting an eye) Thomas and Samuel "Unitary Executive" Alito as definite NO votes on the question, 'Can a President be tried for sorts of stuff?"

Meanwhile...

Do you miss those great GOP hits of the late 90s and early 00s? Sure we all do. And we packed them all onto this Kavanaugh LP for your enjoyment for only $19.99 plus shipping and handling. Call today so you can guarantee that you'll be able to enjoy:

• Baby Come Back (The Elián González Tribute)
  • Songs from the Wood and Here She Comes Again (Kenneth Starr Investigation Team)
  • Everything Counts and Elected (Bush v Gore I and II)
  • Questions (2006 DC Court of Appeals hearing)

link
2006 Hearing said:
Chairman Specter. Would you engage in rendition, send a suspect to a foreign country where torture was a practice, in order to get information where you would not have to commit the torture on U.S. soil?

Mr. Kavanaugh. No, Mr. Chairman. I do not want to--no, Mr. Chairman. I think that is an issue I have not been involved in. I do not know the facts and circumstances--

I think Juma's point is that abortions still occur even when illegal. They're just self inflicted. No one wants that.

Yea, it's not just choice for women that is in jeopardy. The religious right is going to have their own way regarding environmental regulations, gay rights, separation of gov and religion, intelligent design, reproduction rights, and etc. If people don't like it, they need to get off their asses and make their votes count.

Oh, there's no sarcasm or irony from me. If you voted for Trump, I hope so much that you have to make a decision between dying or going bankrupt. Better yet, I hope that you have to make the decision because one of your kids is sick. If you vote Trump/GOP, that's what you've done to tens of millions of people. Maybe a loss of health insurance and then a car accident would be good for you to let you know what your decisions mean.

Maybe having to make the decision of say, "Oh shit, my kid's having a really bad asthma attack but maybe we can see it through instead of going to the ER where it's going to cost $5,000" would cause it to dawn on you that really bad things happen to other people through no fault of their own. I wish that or something equally similar on all conservatives who vote Trump/GOP.

I hope they can't retire. I hope they have to work until they drop fucking dead greeting people at Walmart. I hope their daughters get pregnant and end up being a drag on them their entire lives. If the GOP starts a new war, I hope their kids go off and die or get wounded.

If you want to inflict misery and death on the lives of others, then you deserve nothing but tenfold in return. If you're gullible and spiteful enough to support Trump, there is no consequence too awful for you. This is the society you have demanded by supporting Trump.

Why is this in the Presidential Politics subsection?

Perhaps because it is about a Political decision being made by the President?

Do you think it would be better in Freethought Humor or Non-theist Testimonials :confused:

I do wish it was a joke, yes. And I would have thought the general politics section since it reaches far beyond the president.

Back
Top Bottom