• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And the Pick is in!

Surprise, surprise! The pick is a judge who believes that the president is above the law. Gosh, that was a shocker.

If America was still a free and liberal democracy, that would be enough to prevent this nominee from making it to the Supreme Court.

RIP, Magna Carta!

Disgusting post, from both of you.
Even if this is irony I sincerely hope that you no political influence whatsoever.

Oh, there's no sarcasm or irony from me. If you voted for Trump, I hope so much that you have to make a decision between dying or going bankrupt. Better yet, I hope that you have to make the decision because one of your kids is sick. If you vote Trump/GOP, that's what you've done to tens of millions of people. Maybe a loss of health insurance and then a car accident would be good for you to let you know what your decisions mean.

Maybe having to make the decision of say, "Oh shit, my kid's having a really bad asthma attack but maybe we can see it through instead of going to the ER where it's going to cost $5,000" would cause it to dawn on you that really bad things happen to other people through no fault of their own. I wish that or something equally similar on all conservatives who vote Trump/GOP.

I hope they can't retire. I hope they have to work until they drop fucking dead greeting people at Walmart. I hope their daughters get pregnant and end up being a drag on them their entire lives. If the GOP starts a new war, I hope their kids go off and die or get wounded.

If you want to inflict misery and death on the lives of others, then you deserve nothing but tenfold in return. If you're gullible and spiteful enough to support Trump, there is no consequence too awful for you. This is the society you have demanded by supporting Trump.

I get your anger, but I don't get how you can't see that it makes you equally susceptible to the bolded statement. It's almost like you initially opposed Trump's policies because they harm people, but then decided that a certain category of people deserve to be harmed, even if they had no part in electing Trump. How is wishing for teen daughters to get pregnant and young boys to die in war, as punishment for the votes of their parents, any different from wanting the children of immigrants to pay for the illegal behavior of their parents?

"No president has ever consulted more widely, or talked with more people from more backgrounds, to seek input about a Supreme Court nomination." -- next Supreme Court justice

Surprise, surprise! The pick is a judge who believes that the president is above the law. Gosh, that was a shocker.

If America was still a free and liberal democracy, that would be enough to prevent this nominee from making it to the Supreme Court.

RIP, Magna Carta!

Apparently Kavanaugh is on record as having urged congress to make it a law that a sitting president can't be tried. The funny thing is that this implies that he believes that currently it is in fact constitutional to do so. Which means that if the issue ever comes before the court he would have to rule accordingly, or else be in blatant violation of his pledge not to legislate from the bench. So the moral highground has become more certain. My biggest worry is that the SCOTUS would do just that and that it would tear the country apart. So the future is even more uncertain and perilous.

Last edited:
"No president has ever consulted more widely, or talked with more people from more backgrounds, to seek input about a Supreme Court nomination." -- next Supreme Court justice
Can we just skip the hearings? Obviously he'll say anything that he is told to.

Maybe we should just document the hearings so future generations will know how we ended up at the final solution.

Maybe we should just document the hearings so future generations will know how we ended up at the final solution.
Technically you are white and can fake being a Christian (Evangelicals been doing it for decades!), so you have nothing to worry about.

I get your anger, but I don't get how you can't see that it makes you equally susceptible to the bolded statement. It's almost like you initially opposed Trump's policies because they harm people, but then decided that a certain category of people deserve to be harmed, even if they had no part in electing Trump. How is wishing for teen daughters to get pregnant and young boys to die in war, as punishment for the votes of their parents, any different from wanting the children of immigrants to pay for the illegal behavior of their parents?

Because that's what they wish to cause the loved ones of others. Thus, they deserve it.

Immigrant parents want a better life for themselves and their families, and nowhere within that wish is an active desire to harm anyone or diminish another person's rights. If something unlawful can have a noble purpose, then immigrants who risk everything they've got to come here are noble people.

Trump people and conservatives in general need to have a come to Jesus moment, for lack of a more appropriate way to put it. And I don't think that's going to happen with less than copious suffering on their part.

Every step of the way they battle against the rights and well being of other Americans, and do it to their detriment. When have American conservatives ever led the way on any significant civil rights issues? Oh, they'll fight like a goddamn T-rex for corporate personhood, but poor kids who need school lunches? Fuck 'em--let 'em starve---I shouldn't have to pay for that!

And that's a pervasive sentiment; I see it in my own family. Too bad I can't send their asses to Mississippi.

The time for the high road is over. It's been dynamited and drooling goons with AR-15s are blocking the way to repair it.

We go high when they go low was a nice sentiment, but it failed. There are no good faith discussions to have with these people. Their pettiness, pathetic greed, and hate for education is reflected in that orange shit-gibbon in White House.

They deserve the worst that can happen to them.

Seems very Trumpian -- something pResident Trump would say. Rather than Mr. Kavanaugh himself.

Seems very Trumpian -- something pResident Trump would say. Rather than Mr. Kavanaugh himself.

I agree. It's almost like Twitler wrote a script for him in a backroom quid pro quo deal which is how he ended up a nominee.

I agree. It's almost like Twitler wrote a script for him in a backroom quid pro quo deal which is how he ended up a nominee.
The Mad Hatter continues on as everyone else just nods and smiles.

Because that's what they wish to cause the loved ones of others.

And you, in turn, wish to cause harm to their loved ones... do you see the equivalence here? I'm not saying I disagree with your positions about what Trump is doing, I just don't see how that position is strengthened by willingly submitting yourself to the same kind of hate and disregard for others that characterizes it, as if there is something about your doing it today after they do it yesterday that makes it less reprehensible than the other way around.

And you, in turn, wish to cause harm to their loved ones... do you see the equivalence here? I'm not saying I disagree with your positions about what Trump is doing, I just don't see how that position is strengthened by willingly submitting yourself to the same kind of hate and disregard for others that characterizes it, as if there is something about your doing it today after they do it yesterday that makes it less reprehensible than the other way around.

You seem to think that these people can be reasoned with; that if we hold ourselves to a higher standard, that they'll eventually see the light, and that the good side will win out. To have that happen, they have to argue in good faith; they have to want to care about objective facts. Their raison d'etre is to act in bad faith and to willingly foist untruth on all of us. We have been dragged into the cesspool where the only choice is to drown in shit or drown them in it. The Democratic party is full of spineless old farts and shiftless leadership. We don't just need a brawler, we need a team of brawlers who know how to fight dirty.

This isn't the British vs. Gandhi. It's Hitler vs. Gandhi. I don't mean to be hyperbolic, but the comparison is illustrative.

You seem to think that these people can be reasoned with;

No, I really have no opinion about whether or not they can be reasoned with. If someone can't be reasoned with, does it make it okay to wish harm on their offspring? All I'm saying is this: there can be political, strategic, and emotional reasons for wanting more unwanted children to be born in the districts of your opponents to teach them a lesson. There cannot be moral reasons for wanting this. To frame it as just deserts implies a moral high ground that has long been abandoned. By all means, feel free to calculate the cost/benefit breakdown of dooming a generation of people into misfortune so they will grow up to be Democrats; it may turn out to be less bad than the alternatives. But it is still bad, and I still think it's inhuman to relish the possibility the way you are.

RIP, Magna Carta!

Apparently Kavanaugh is on record as having urged congress to make it a law that a sitting president can't be tried. The funny thing is that this implies that he believes that currently it is in fact constitutional to do so. Which means that if the issue ever comes before the court he would have to rule accordingly, or else be in blatant violation of his pledge not to legislate from the bench. So the moral highground has become more certain. My biggest worry is that the SCOTUS would do just that and that it would tear the country apart. So the future is even more uncertain and perilous.

So aside from this, which is an admittedly disturbing flip, honest question here: what else is bad about Kavanaugh? Now, I'll also admit that in researching him a bit, I did keep repeatedly seeing the word, "conservative" among the descriptions of him. But there were also certainly cases where he bucked the trend of how a conservative might rule. This tends to support his claim that he doesn't allow his personal ideology to interfere with his interpretation of the law.
Kavanaugh rejected the notion that he, or any judge, is partisan. “I firmly disagree with the notion that there are Republican judges and [Democratic] judges,” he said. “There is one kind of judge. There is an independent judge under our Constitution.”
He seems to be a pretty smart guy, and also one who, like some other previous appointees, would not necessarily always toe the party line as expected. So, I'm not saying I support him, I just want to know both sides: the good and the bad about him. TIA.

What is disgusting about it? Are you saying that if a party win's an election and controls every lever of government that they shouldn't implement their agenda? I'm hoping that having our asses kicked so badly in 2016 will cause an overreach by the republicans leading to motivating the dems to turn out in 2018 and 2020.

I think Juma's point is that abortions still occur even when illegal. They're just self inflicted. No one wants that.

Trump doesn't care. He'd nominate a judge who favors passing out coat hangers to women, as long as that judge has expressed that Presidents should be untouchable autocrats, as Kavanaugh has done.

So aside from this, which is an admittedly disturbing flip, honest question here: what else is bad about Kavanaugh? Now, I'll also admit that in researching him a bit, I did keep repeatedly seeing the word, "conservative" among the descriptions of him. But there were also certainly cases where he bucked the trend of how a conservative might rule. This tends to support his claim that he doesn't allow his personal ideology to interfere with his interpretation of the law.
Kavanaugh rejected the notion that he, or any judge, is partisan. “I firmly disagree with the notion that there are Republican judges and [Democratic] judges,” he said. “There is one kind of judge. There is an independent judge under our Constitution.”
He seems to be a pretty smart guy, and also one who, like some other previous appointees, would not necessarily always toe the party line as expected. So, I'm not saying I support him, I just want to know both sides: the good and the bad about him. TIA.
For the most part, we don't know enough about what his involvement was with the W Admin. The Republicans will say that no nominee has had more documents put forth for him, but then again, this nominee worked for a President, so there are a lot more documents that are created from their work, so it is a really dumb observation.

Kavanaugh suffers from a few angles. He is a Republican nominee.

- Should an indictable President be able to seat a justice? We already seem to know that Trump will be going to the Supreme Court to protect him from being indicted. It seems insane to allow him to stack the court.
- No Republican nominee since Souter has been remotely moderate or even right leaning moderate. So there is that level of distrust.
- Kavanaugh has some odd positions on the investigation of a President. When Clinton was President, he wanted to ask extremely graphic questions regarding an affair that was not suspected of being non-consensual. Once Obama is President, his opinion becomes the President is unindictable.
- Kavanaugh and torture. The word is he really wasn't involved in that, but there seemed to be questions about how true that is.
- Pro-life? Roe v Wade is settled law... until it isn't.

Personally, I don't trust the GOP to put Justices on the Court that believe in anything but promoting a right-wing agenda.

Back
Top Bottom