• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Animals roaming free

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the last few days.

A mouse that the cats brought in. I got it and put it out. Seemed ok but disoriented. It eventually hopped off.

Gray catbird on the post by my yard

Today a Phoebe with it's mouth open. It was a hot day.

At the swan pond there are 4 remaining kids. Looking pretty healthy.

They saw me and came in thinking that I might have a handout.

Blue Jay at the swan pond

In my back woods, see that brown blob in the center?

Zoom in and it's a white tail deer.

Zoom all the way in.

Off to Maine again for a week starting Saturday. Top on my list is a porcupine. They area all over the deep woods but not easy to find out in the mosquito-free zone.

My friend the little green heron, a shield bug, and some flowers. All are wild, but the flowers don't roam. All from the park.

lgh_5838_edited-1.jpg

lgh_5859_edited-1.jpg

sb_5668_edited-1.jpg

th_5712_edited-1.jpg

fl_5761_edited-1.jpg

It was a pretty good visit to Maine.

August 23 Schoodic section of Acadia National Park

A great blue heron in a tree.

At first I didn't notice that there was a second heron also in the tree.

It was a bit farther away.

Later in the day the fog came in. But that doesn't keep the eagles grounded.

It landed in a tree top.

From where I took the photo it's in the tree is in the center of the photo.

Back at the house, a ring bill gull by the shore.

A very strange thing. On the 23rd many Lion's Mane jeffyfish came washing up on the shore.

There were at least 30 along a 1/4 mile section of shore we walk on.

August 24 at the Seawall area of ANP there were some Mallards. What really confused me is that these Mallards were actually diving fully under water to feed. I am told that young ones will and can do that.

This is where a Mallard was until it dove under.

Hooded Merganser at the same spot.

Hooded Merganser doing some washing.

Some cormorants flew by

Then a great number of cormorants flew by

Two cormorants on a rock.

On the way home a stop at Mud Creek. A kingfisher on the wire.

Greater Yellowlegs I believe, also at Mud Creek.

The Kingfisher landed on a dead tree.

August 25th, down at the town harbor, a bald eagle comes in for a landing on the seaweed.

Soon it took off again and it has something in it's clutches. A moment after I took this photo another bald eagle swooped down and tried to grab whatever it is out of it's clutches and there was a brief mid-air fight. I don't get a photo of that but it was loud! Screeching and wings flapping.

On the 27th we went by the Bar Harbor airport to ANC and this vintage C-47 transport flew in. This airplane was part of the D-Day invasion over 70 years ago.

August 28, a king bird in a tree by our house.

A red squirrel has a pine cone.

At Bubble Pond in ANC a loon. Best loon photos I have showing both the red eye and the green neck.

Two crows at Eagle Lake

Two Common Mergansers also on Eagle Lake.

August 29, by chance dumb luck while at the Schoodic section of ANC I saw the C-47 fly out. It was going Northeast and at that point about 7 miles from the airport.

An invasive green crab. They are doing serious damage to the shellfish population.

Back home on the way down to the shore a bald eagle flew out of the trees and landed across the way.

Down at the shore a live Sea Urchin. I have never seen a live one.

Common mussels, periwinkles and barnacles.

A ladyfinger on a mussel.

Star Fish

I left out a lot of stuff but that's good emough to post.

Going back for a 4 day weekend over Labor day.

We just got back from a long weekend at the place in Maine. It might by my last visit this year but I might get a short weekend alone. Don't know.

In any case, a few nice or interesting photos I think and 2 lifers.

A bald eagle in a tree 50 yards from the house.

Cedar Waxwing at the Schoodic section of Acadia National Park (ANC).

Either a female or Juvenile Pine Warbler.

At the shore, a semipalmated sandpiper.

Some weird bugs in a tidepool

A herring gull with a starfish

My boy got the horsefly that was pestering him.

First photo of a hermit crab and this one is absolutely gigantic! Most inhabit shells the size of a periwinkle (like the one taking a ride) or a driller. But this is in a conch shell a good 2 inches long! For those not familiar with hermit crabs, they have no real shell of their own. Instead they use the shells of other critters and find larger ones as they grow.

We picked it up and the periwinkle fell off. Then we put him back in the water.

Second lifer is a Black and White Warbler.

I had the kids going for a moment on this one. Told them it was a mutant two-headed cormorant.

At Mud Creek a juvenile Osprey in a tree.

Greater Yellow-legs

Back at Mud Creek, the Osprey on the nest.

A pile of Starlings on a wire

Lion's Mane jellyfish were back. This one is upside down with the testicles showing.

Back at the house, the eagle in a different tree. It's been quite a year for eagles.

Semipalmated Plovers at the shore.

Mr. Toad has taken up residence. He's here most every day in his hole and he goes out at night. His hole is the stone wall that I need to fix by the side of the basement. Even though he's free the kids call him pet toad because he's reliably there in the daytime.

Here is his hole.

My only hummingbird this summer, at least so far.

Yesterday at the state park, a great blue walking down to the shore.

A red squirrel from below.

Chipmunk

Some wood ducks flew in.

Today was overcast and most of the day had some drizzle but I had a couple hours to get out without drizzle.

I don't often go the the town lake. But today there was a cormorant on a rock.

Lifer for my list. I may have an earlier photo of a Solitary Sandpiper but it's my first known ID. That's a semipalmated Sandpiper in back of it. Sandpipers and plovers are such social critters. Despite totally different species these two were foraging and flying together when they moved about.

Down at the frog pond a few days ago. I think it's a northern Pickerel Frog.

Also a few days ago a juvenile Brown Headed Cowbird.

My wife gave me a weekend alone in Maine. Had some cleaning to do but also got a lot. I arrived around midnight Friday.

Saturday morning at the shore, a flock of Surf Scoters out in the bay.

I went out to the Schoodic area of Acadia National Park (ANC) and the whole peninsula was immersed in fog from the ocean. I didn't stay very long but got a photo of a great Blue Heron in the fog.

A red squirrel with a pine cone.

Ocean fog was so bad that I went inland instead. I took a drive to the place where I so frequently see things: Mud Creek.

I think that this is lesser yellowlegs. There were several again.

As usual, an Osprey was also there.

And like old friends, the belted kingfisher was on his dead stump.

Here is a series of 5 photos I was lucky to catch. As he got his catch.

First just sitting on the stump.

As I snapped the next photo it saw something and flew down to the water.

It came back with a fish and whacked it all around until the fish stopped flopping around.

After much whipping the fish around the fish finally was limp in it's bill.

Nice and dead, time to swallow.

After Mud Creek I want back to the town harbor.

Two herring gulls eating crab apples. They kept dunking them in the salt water while eating them.

The Lion's Mane Jellyfish are still washing up. This is about 16 inches diameter.

I went for a walk down to road from the house and saw this chipmunk.

At the shore down the street a spotted sandpiper.

Red Squirrel

The shore by the house had very small snails. These were all over and I don't recall ever seeing them before. They are much smaller than regular size periwinkles.

These little bugs were all over a dead Lion's Mane jellyfish.

Next morning started out cloudy. But I took a walk down to the shore and this bald eagle, probably the same one that lives nearby, swooped out and landed in the trees a good distance away.

The forecast was for the clouds to move out so I decided to head over to Mud Creek.

There were 5 or 6 young Common Mergansers in Mud Creek.

Some Yellowlegs again.

I went to a place called Wonderland.

In the ocean, I believe these are American Black Ducks.

This is a cormorant coming in for a landing

Not sure. Looks like a Junko but it seems a bit early for the junkos to return.

Driving home I passed a tidal bay and three Great Egrets were sitting on a rock. This is a long distance shot at 2278mm zoom.

They are on the rock in the center of the photo.

Back at the house on the rock that we climb down to get to shore a lobster had gotten itself caught and was dead.

So I left Maine this morning and got home this morning.

This afternoon, odd to see a nuthatch on the driveway.

And finally, my first cottontail in the yard so far this year.

Finished

Having done some more research I've determined that in the Egret photo the two on the ends are Great Egrets but the middle is a snowy egret.

Guess what I have?

More green heron photos!!!

I planted myself next to a stream where I know green herons like to hang out. Just as I was ready to give up, this guy flew in.

He spent a lot of time staring at the water without moving a muscle (1st photo), then he dove in, splashed around, and crawled back out (2nd and 3rd photos).

l7229.jpg

l7257.jpg

l7260.jpg

I had the kids going for a moment on this one. Told them it was a mutant two-headed cormorant.

Cartoons are becoming real
quackbusters8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom