• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Animals roaming free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tharmas, I can't tell from the photo exactly what that bird is, but my husband and I think it's probably a mockingbird, the state bird of Georgia. They are all over the place here, and they sometimes do eat smaller prey. They are very aggressive and will fearlessly chase large hawks away if they get near a nesting site. Mostly we love them for their huge variety of songs, which of course is why they are called, "mockingbirds."

http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/northern-mockingbird

Tharmas, I can't tell from the photo exactly what that bird is, but my husband and I think it's probably a mockingbird, the state bird of Georgia. They are all over the place here, and they sometimes do eat smaller prey. They are very aggressive and will fearlessly chase large hawks away if they get near a nesting site. Mostly we love them for their huge variety of songs, which of course is why they are called, "mockingbirds."

http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/northern-mockingbird

I can see why you might think it was a mockingbird, judging from the picture, but the picture is really crappy.

We’re very familiar with mockingbirds here also (it’s the Texas state bird as well as Georgia’s), and this bird we saw was considerably larger than a mockingbird. The feathers that you can see on the legs positively identify it as a raptor I’m told. The call clinched it.

This article leads me to believe that urban sightings are not really that unusual these days.

Speaking of mockingbirds, I once heard a mockingbird singing the raucous calls of the boat tailed grackle, only it somehow made them sound sweet.

[youtube]t4ZMcFxoa8g[/youtube]

woodducks.jpg

Taken by a local photographer. Looks almost like a painting.

003-1.jpg

I found a Hummingbird moth on the sidewalk shortly after a thunderstorm. It fanned its wings for a couple of minutes, presumably to dry them, before taking off.

I'm pretty sure this is an Eye-Spotted Lady Beetle larva (Anatis mali) on my mailbox.

008a.jpg

We are in Maine this week. Will get the photos posted later but so far nice photos of a loon. Also at low tide this evening we went down and found, got photos of, star fish, sea urchins, big hemit crags, eels and others strange critters and a hard shell clam, chohog, that was so huge it could be a whole meal.. we put them all back.

It's been suggested we close this thread due to the large number of busted Photobucket links. There's a new, equivalent thread in Hobbies, Wildlife Photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom