• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Animals roaming free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home from the weekend in Maine. Actually going back up tomorrow evening though the 7th.

Only one nice weather day. These from Saturday.

At the Schoodic section of Acadia National Park, a pair of bald eagles flying away from me.

They kept flying and I kept zooming. I estimate this is a half-mile if it's close to the water tower. Air turbulence are getting in the way.

A song Sparrow

At Mud Creek the Osprey is back.

There is at least one chick

Bringing a fish

As I was taking pictures a local came by and said she's been here for at least 5 seasons. Last summer she lost all her chicks. Home this summer goes better.

A phoebe by the house.

Using the same nest under the porch roof as last summer

We were up in Maine Wednesday to Today (Monday) at my wife's mother's place on the coast across from Acadia National Park.

The first day up way very gray.

I was watching the view.

Then a black dot a appeared.

It's very uncommon for me to see harbor seals especially right in front of the house.

It saw me too.

Then it want off

Looks like a young tree swallow

Back at the house the phoebe's are constantly about.

Here's why. The kids are in the nest and they look almost ready to leave.

At the Schoodic section of Acadia, a non-breeding loon.

A different loon in breeding colors

The seal was back. It's a bit amazing, going here every summer since 1991 and I've only seen harbor seals at the shore from the house 4 times and 2 of them in the same week.

We went to Petit Manan National Wildlife Refuge.

Common Yellowthroats were all over.

Two cormorants on a large rock

I'm thinking these may be racoon tracks? Or maybe Porcupine?

Finally, I just love these wildflowers that like to be between the rocks right by the ocean.

Black capped night heron. This was unusual. Every other time this species won't let me within 50 yards.

l_nh_4844.jpg
l_nh_4857.jpg
l_nh_4867.jpg

And milkweed bugs doin' it.

l_mwb_4797.jpg

I made it out today. First at the Swan Pond they still have their 5 chicks which appear to be growing fast now.

At the state park I was pretty surprised to see a cormorant out on the pond. I have never seen a cormorant here before and it doesn't really look like the kind of place for a cormorant's style of hunting.

My first photo of a male Scarlet Tanager. I have photos of females. Females are mainly yellow.

Great Blue Heron with sun on the wrong side.

At the soccer field, a juvenile cowbird.

A juvenile Eastern Bluebird

Eastern Phoebe

Juvenile Chipping Sparrow.

I have never seen a night heron of either white or black. Great Blues are all over the place. I've seen a greenie a few times. That's it for herons.

I have been checking the re-bellied woopecker's hole most days but saw little activity. Yesterday I spotted a juvenile on a tree in my yard. I guess they are out and about.

Also yesterday the hawk was back in the same tree in my yard.

And the swans at the Swan Pond still have 5 kids
I wish my kids were this obedient.

I went out to the state park today.

About 2/3 mile away by Google Earth, a great egret and a great blue heron. Lots of air turbulence in the way of a clear view.

They are on the far side of the pond in the center of the photo.

There is a lodge at the pond where I took the photo. It's a popular place for barn swallows to build nests. These chicks are very used to people coming in and out.

Looks like an immature tree swallow with an adult.

The cormorant is still out in the pond. It still strikes me as not quite the kind of pond a cormorant would like. It's clearly very shallow.

Cicada killers are out.

And a cicada.

On my way home and out the car window, another cormorant on a pond I have never seen one on before.

Been slow.

A catbird gives me a nice pose.

What has become our neighborhood hawk came by today. I had just stepped out of my basement onto the driveway and I saw it fly into a tree in back of my garage.

This is where I'm standing. It's in the tree back of the garage in the center of the photo. Can't see it but it's there.

Saturday we go to the place in Maine for a week vacation.

Couldn't get close to any birds today. So I got this shot of a white capped night heron surveying the pond.

lbcnh4882.jpg

And a couple insects. Not sure of species.

lbf4900.jpg

lbug4911.jpg

Back from Maine. Have 706 wildlife photos to sift though. Many a lot of the same thing like plovers and sandpipers, lots of Osprey,... Hope to sift it down to a few posts in a few days.

On chronological order, things actually started slow. We got up there Saturday August 1.

August 2 at the shore in front of the house, a lone spotted sandpiper on the rocks.

Also on the shore a rock crab, or possibly a Jonah crab. We call them Jonah/Rocks because the only way to tell them apart is to count their teeth.

August 3 while picking blueberries on the Acadia carriage roads, a cedar waxwing made a momentary appearance. Only one shot and it left.

On the way home we stopped at Mud Creek. Three Osprey youngsters.

Photo taken from roughly here.

Back at the shore in front of the house, a song sparrow in a bush.

A tiny white crab.

A different spotted sandpiper at the shore.

Also right off the shore from the house a juvenile Bald Eagle

An adult also came by.

August 5th, two non-breeding loons off the shore from the house.

At low tide star fish can be found among the rocks.

There were tons of these. I don't know if it's a moth or a butterfly. Bugs are not my area.

August 7th at the Schoodic section of Acadia National park another juvenile bald eagle

Common Eiders are showing up in groups.

A Black Guillemot

Two herring gulls

I believe that this is Greater Yellowlegs

Cormorants on a line. They are constantly flying over.

Back at the house, high tide and a flock of semipalmated sandpipers and semipalmated plovers were flocking together. I startled them and some of the flock landed on a rock off shore.

It's interesting that the two species so often flock together and even when they fly off they fly off in unison.

I managed to get on the sunny side to get better photos.

They ended up on our rock that we use to climb up to the field on the shore.

August 8, my last full day I went to Petit Manan Federal Wildlife Refuge.

An oven bird

Cedar Waxwing

This would be a lifer. I believe that it's a common turn.

At extreme range these would appear to be an adult and a juvenile.

I haven't figured out what this is yet. Could be another lifer.

Nor do I know what these are. Young birds so often don't look like the adults. These were flitting about in a tree never stopping long enough for a shot until suddenly, as if the parents ordered them to, they all lined up on a branch and I took some photos at around 30 feet away.

With about an hour of freedom left before I was expected back at the house I went back to Mud Creek.

My only OK shot of a Great Blue Heron of the week. I have several other lousy shots. This bird left after I got this one shot.

This young Osprey was practicing. It was flapping it's wings into a headwind but hung onto that stick and did this for about 10 minutes. It never actually lifted off.

The nest from the other angle where I took the photo above.

Looking at me taking it's photo.

Down on the mud of Mud Creek, I think that this is another greater Yellowlegs.

Back at the house, this adult Osprey briefly landed in the top of a tree and then left. This is one of only two shots I got.

The Semipalmated sandpipers and plovers were back at high tide.

That's it for Maine.

Today back home I took a visit to the frog pond and a little green heron was there. At first I thought it was a crow until I got it zoomed in with the camera.

It spotted me and flew into the tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom