• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Animals roaming free

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few goings on.

First the cotton tail bunnies have started to show themselves finally. I typically see then as soon as spring hits but now they are coming out.

Yesterday two adults in my yard. Here is a good photo of one of them.

Down the street, clearly a different family, there are 4 baby cottontails that come out to eat on the grass. Can't tell from the photos but they are ony about 1/3 the size of an adult.

While we were away on vacation something has made a mess of the stone wall by the driveway and the house. What a pain. It dug in and caused an avalanche. Since our return I've been seeing a small ground hog/woodchuck/whistle pig in the yard. He is my prime suspect though I see no foot prints in the dirt. I suspect that after the avalanche he gave up on that spot.

And finally the caterpillars and my trees! Before we left for vacation the invasive European gypsy moth caterpillars had been decimating my oak trees.

Below one tree that overhangs the top of my driveway the caterpillar poop is just sick.

Fortunately the oak trees appear to be sprouting new leaves where they had been totally denuded of leaves.

Now we have the moths all over. I can't whack a bush without 2 dozen flying out. Here is one of the monsters.

And there are more to come. They are quickly coming out of their metamorphose. I see these under every large branch of any of the chewed up trees. Not a good sign for next year.

In previous years we had been hit by the invasive green winter moths that have killed many of my smaller ash trees. We didn't have a problem with them this year. But now these.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/hungry-caterpillars-destroy-trees-new-england

baboon versus flamingo

L9O8Rp.gif

Down at the beach yesterday I saw a bird that I had never seen before. Tried to get a shot but couldn't get near it. Got into conversation with a bloke who had a brilliant camera and was following it.

Turns out it is a Beach Stone Curlew, which meant nothing to me, but it isn't supposed to be south of Newcastle. It has been appearing here for the last 3 years and he had driven some distance in the hope of seeing it.

I feel lucky.

I'm finally getting to posting some photos from the summer and fall.

In Maine in the early August, a herring gull with a star fish for lunch.

A bald Eagle by the house

A great blue heron just swallowing food

This is a first for me. Two dolphins off Fraiser Point at Acadia National park. Probably common dolphins.

Two crows making a yak.

Look to me like greater yellow legs due to the very long bills.

Double Crested Cormorant drying off.

Bald eagle in a tree by the shore of the house.

It's in the tree in the center of the photo.

Late August back to Mane for a weekend

A flock of cormorants

A common loon in non-breeding colors

A red-necked Grebe off shore from the house

One more weekend in Maine. Got back today.

These look like Common Eider younguns

A harbor seal just off shore.

Looking around

Goes under

Common Eiders in formation

Perhaps another greater yellow legs.

Sea Urchin and Starfish at very low tide

Wood Ducks

On the Carriage Roads at Eagle Lage in Acadia a great blue is very close to the road.

Closeup of the head

I tried to take this photo so that the bird appeared as it appeared when I was lot using the camera. I was able to get very close. Other people stopped. I guess it's used to being watched.

Today I saw this hawk fly off with a rock pigeon. I expect a cooper's hawk and I don't know if a sharpie could actually carry off a pigeon. It dropped the pigeon to the ground and sat nicely posed in the fall colors I expect until I gave up and left.

No photo, I went out to check that a dog we are looking after was OK, at 3am. (Turns out he HAD come in, I hadn't heard him.)

Found a small bird sound asleep in a gap of the fence.

A couple weeks ago in the yard I managed a few shots on, for me, a very rare sighing of a pileated woodpecker. I have only really seen one perhaps 4 times and these are only my second reasonably good shots of one.

What was at least as interesting is that soon after I took these shots a hawk came by and was out to get this bird. This bird took off like mad while also making it's alarm squawk. I think that it got away mainly based on hearing the squawk for quite a while as it grew more distant.

I was a bit surprised a hawk going for something so large and with such a large weapon to use in defense but being attacked by the rear I guess it's vulnerable.

It's been a long time since I had been out to the state park. Today I got the best photos of a northern river otter I've ever had. About 100 good ones. This otter was coming up through this hole in the ice every few minutes and then would go down again in search of food.

I live just inside the pine barrens in my states so we get deer, wild Netherlands Dwarf rabbits which are implants form centuries ago, mice, several types of snake including eastern rattle snake, an some kind of large black snake, feral cats, and some of my neighbors free range their chickens and guinea hens and turkeys. There are also wild turtles, beaver, and groundhogs all over. Once I caught sight of a vole-like creature, maybe a mink. Of course there are also chipmunks in my yard every year. They like to make nests in my carport. Then we have blue-jays which are dangerous to other birds cuz they'll rob the nests of babies, eastern goldfinches, which are the state bird, robins and there small songbirds, red tailed hawk, and a couple other raptor types, crows and vultures.

Nobody here has any stalls or does anything to save the wildlife, cuz most of the people hate them. Then there are hunters an the base has military that regularly clear their training fields an the back-wood trails of mice and other critters as large as deer as a nuisance. I like watching them though, an unless they are used for food I'm not about killing them off.

A member of the board has told me that all of my posted photos are not showing up. I can see them all on multiple devices but I want to ask if others are not seeing my photos. They are all linking to photobucket

A member of the board has told me that all of my posted photos are not showing up. I can see them all on multiple devices but I want to ask if others are not seeing my photos. They are all linking to photobucket

I can see them.

Most likely if only a small number of people are affected, it is caused by photobucket images being blocked at their end; It doesn't appear to be a forum problem. Perhaps the affected person is using a corporate network that has Photobucket blacklisted?

Last edited:
So a ring-tailed possum has taken up residence in our backyard.

Here he is yesterday, sleeping in the tree by the back deck:
Possum_1.jpg

And today he has decided he prefers the roof over the spa (which makes him much easier to photograph):
Possum_2.jpg

Last week I found a Wilson's snipe in the road, apparently killed by a passing car.

Poor little guy.

Thanks for bumping the topic. I've been stuck, refusing to use Photobucket because of their plan changes, so have not posted any photos. Photobucket now claims joint copyright of photos and expect people to pay $399.00 per year to continue to be able to post photos uploaded there, on places like here.

The Jesus spam they sent me last December didn't help. Nor their refusal to honor my multiple unsubscribe request regarding their spam.

I have some nice photos of a porcupine from this summer. Hopefully I'll have the time and energy to to find a different way to post photos.

Thanks for bumping the topic. I've been stuck, refusing to use Photobucket because of their plan changes, so have not posted any photos. Photobucket now claims joint copyright of photos and expect people to pay $399.00 per year to continue to be able to post photos uploaded there, on places like here.

The Jesus spam they sent me last December didn't help. Nor their refusal to honor my multiple unsubscribe request regarding their spam.

I have some nice photos of a porcupine from this summer. Hopefully I'll have the time and energy to to find a different way to post photos.

I also use Photobucket but I never signed up for their ad free services. It's a pain in the ass to upload something there - it takes a long time and the ads keep getting in the way - but usually I'm in no hurry and I only ever have one or two pictures anyway. With the high volume of pictures you take, it wouldn't work out at all.

I hope you find a better solution. I really enjoy all the great pictures you post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom