• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

Yet another school closure around here over a bomb threat. Yesterday a kid in a school parking lot started shooting at cars. Anybody really think it is just about availability of guns?
Anyone can call in a threat. That requires a phone. Actual bombs in schools, extraordinarily rare.
The proposed legislation is not worth the paper it is written on.

Shootings have been way up in Seattle so far this year.
But still historically low. You keep screaming the sky is falling. Meanwhile a bunch of children died in a classroom, and the GOP doesn't want to address it for fear of angering the NRA.

Can we at least stop mass slaughters? Is this really that much to ask?
My point is culture. Our new mayor appears capable. For once a politician who says he is not going to fix violence overnight that has grown over decades. He talks about the root source, socical and economic conditions.

It is not 'historically low'. Certainly not in King county, Seattle, and Washington. Similar reports from elsewhere.

It is not whether a bomb threat to a scj=hol is real or not, it is about the rise in thrats and actual school violence.

If I use your reasoning you are more likely to be killed or injured by a drunk driver than by a mas shooting, therefore mass shootings are not really a problem.

Culture has gotten crude and coarse. It is on TV, in movies, and in music.

I hear it around Seattle on the streets. A tone of violence has crept into speech. Not just the crazies, regular people.

I agree culture is one of the problems. The second amendment is viewed as a right to arm the people against themselves rather than protection from a government that turned towards tyranny. That is definitely a cultural problem.

In the hood it sure does. There is a culture amongst street thugs that when left unaddressed leads directly to crimes. Some people when spoken to at the right time in their lives are capable of escaping that culture and not contributing to the crime rates. Maybe I shouldn't call it culture but it fits the definition. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: An example of thug culture getting out of hand can be seen in cities with gang crime problems. These gangs have cultures and folks susceptible to joining these gangs are influenced by something I call "street culture" for lack of better terms.

In the hood it sure does. There is a culture amongst street thugs that when left unaddressed leads directly to crimes. Some people when spoken to at the right time in their lives are capable of escaping that culture and not contributing to the crime rates. Maybe I shouldn't call it culture but it fits the definition. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That is, in fact culture. It is not the culture that Steve is discussing. The culture Steve is discussing is the "global culture" or "media culture", which amounts to violence in video games and sex on TV.

Edit: An example of thug culture getting out of hand can be seen in cities with gang crime problems. These gangs have cultures and folks susceptible to joining these gangs are influenced by something I call "street culture" for lack of better terms.
So, how does this impact one city, but not another?

I once thought that the United States just had some problems that needed to be fixed. I now see it as a pariah state suffering deep psychosis.

I once thought that the United States just had some problems that needed to be fixed. I now see it as a pariah state suffering deep psychosis.
You think it’s bad now, just wait until Cheato gets re-installed and decides to invade Canada and force everyone to speak English.

I don't understand the question. When a gang starts a shootout with another gang in West Palm Beach Florida I haven't heard of one of their stray bullets hitting a little girl in Chicago. I recognize that gangs are in operation in multiple cities. I also recognize that gang violence directly impacts the community in which the violence occurs.

That is, in fact culture. It is not the culture that Steve is discussing. The culture Steve is discussing is the "global culture" or "media culture", which amounts to violence in video games and sex on TV.

That's not what Steve said.
He was talking specifically about the culture in his home town.

Culture is a complicated word. Two families living next door to each other could have very different cultures.

Steve was talking about the culture, in his experience, of his hometown. While big media tends to level local culture, there's still a big difference between Seattle and Sacramento, much less Mobile and Toledo and Bangor.
Tom

I don't understand the question. When a gang starts a shootout with another gang in West Palm Beach Florida I haven't heard of one of their stray bullets hitting a little girl in Chicago. I recognize that gangs are in operation in multiple cities. I also recognize that gang violence directly impacts the community in which the violence occurs.
The point is, this isn't because GTA5 hit the shelves, and it's not because people are being too liberal, it's because there's a drug war on rather than a culture that treats substance use like a mental health issue and treats mental health issues like public drug use with care and institutional support.

If one city has crime dropping, how can another city see crime rising... and the reason is "culture". We look at Seattle, crime was dropping... then it was rising. Culture take on a major change in 2012?

If one city has crime dropping, how can another city see crime rising... and the reason is "culture". We look at Seattle, crime was dropping... then it was rising. Culture take on a major change in 2012?

I dunno, maybe OG Paul in State A is on vacation in Tahiti while OG Clarence in State B is engaged in a war in his city? I have no idea.

I dunno, maybe OG Paul in State A is on vacation in Tahiti while OG Clarence in State B is engaged in a war in his city? I have no idea.
Let's look at NYC. Homicides are up 33% since it's low in 2017. But even with that up, it is around 33% lower than in 2000. And the uptick in homicides is very recent. Not quite 33% but felony assaults are likewise up since the low, but down compared to 2000. Rape and robberies are near the bottom going back to 2000... and crime wasn't lower before 2000.

Most of the other major crimes, even if a bit up, still down compared to 2000.

It's not too complicated for Florida Man to understand.

Suppose City A has a culture that results in city officials that promise to "rein in cops and provide more taxpayer money to homeless people."
City B has a culture that results in city officials that promise to "empower the cops and restrict taxpayer money to homeless people."

Five years later, which city do you think will have increased crime and homelessness? Which will have less?
Seattle, Washington or Mobile, Alabama?

Oh wait, I meant City A or City B. I shouldn't have mentioned reality.
Tom

One of my largest concerns with the problems of rising crime, is the actual lack of rising crime in many cases. It is just assumed to be the case. Then we get a bunch of people tossing out reason(s) for this non-existent increase in crime.

Seattle very well is seeing an across the board increase. Other places, not so much, or not all types of violent crime or property crime.

It's not too complicated for Florida Man to understand.

Suppose City A has a culture that results in city officials that promise to "rein in cops and provide more taxpayer money to homeless people."
City B has a culture that results in city officials that promise to "empower the cops and restrict taxpayer money to homeless people."

Five years later, which city do you think will have increased crime and homelessness? Which will have less?
Seattle, Washington or Mobile, Alabama?

Oh wait, I meant City A or City B. I shouldn't have mentioned reality.
Tom
This is not well written or cited. Could you toss out a couple links?

Let's look at NYC. Homicides are up 33% since it's low in 2017. But even with that up, it is around 33% lower than in 2000. And the uptick in homicides is very recent. Not quite 33% but felony assaults are likewise up since the low, but down compared to 2000. Rape and robberies are near the bottom going back to 2000... and crime wasn't lower before 2000.

So now we're talking about all crimes? I was talking about Gang violence and the culture they have in the black community. I have no interest in rummaging through crime statistics just to prove said culture exists and has an impact on my community. It's pretty obvious that it does from where I'm standing.

So now we're talking about all crimes? I was talking about Gang violence and the culture they have in the black community. I have no interest in rummaging through crime statistics just to prove said culture exists and has an impact on my community. It's pretty obvious that it does from where I'm standing.
This is not well written or cited. Could you toss out a couple links?

Tom

So now we're talking about all crimes?
Generally violent crimes... in a city.
I was talking about Gang violence and the culture they have in the black community.
I'm not certain how gang violence isn't reflected in City crime numbers. Yes, there is gang violence. Right now the question is about increases or decreases in violent crimes.
I have no interest in rummaging through crime statistics just to prove said culture exists and has an impact on my community. It's pretty obvious that it does from where I'm standing.
Yes, statistics can be a bother if someone wants to have a feel for how policies can improve, destabilize conditions on the ground.

Awesome, so how does my lack of grasp on the statistics make what I've said about culture (specifically gang culture) having an impact on crime rates in the hood not true?

Awesome, so how does my lack of grasp on the statistics make what I've said about culture (specifically gang culture) having an impact on crime rates in the hood not true?
Well, directly to "gang culture" that isn't culture, that is a symptom of poverty.

Back
Top Bottom