• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another study about kids and sugar.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Sugar highs and elevated insulin response, which itself is not a good thing, is something to avoid as much as possible, which means avoiding soft drinks, cakes, lollies, white bread, white rice, etc....

Interesting but I suspect that they looked at the extreme case of a bunch of fat kids who were eating tons of sugar.

Interesting but I suspect that they looked at the extreme case of a bunch of fat kids who were eating tons of sugar.

Type 2 diabetes is becoming an epidemic in developed countries, which indicates that a lot of people are consuming excess sugar. It need not be ''tons''

Type 2 diabetes is becoming an epidemic in developed countries, which indicates that a lot of people are consuming excess sugar. It need not be ''tons''
But people in developed countries do eat tons of sugar. And if you eat tons of sugar you will see it in blood tests.

But people in developed countries do eat tons of sugar. And if you eat tons of sugar you will see it in blood tests.

You're right.

[P]43 obese Latino and black children aged 9 to 18 who also had high blood pressure, unhealthy cholesterol levels or signs of too much fat in their livers.[/P]

IOW, they looked only at kids who ate tons of sugar and already showed negative health effects. That is relevant because it is possible that people metabolize sugar differently and they looked at only the kids for whom sugar is a major problem and who consume a ton of it, and who probably have poor diets generally and don't exercise. It determines who the results generalize to and how much intake can be assumed harmful. Many kids may not be harmed much by the sugar in their diet, either because they only consume modest amounts and only extreme amount show negative effects (don't presume linear relationships), or because they do consume lots but other aspects of the diet or biology mean they don't have the same harmful reactions.

Last edited:

Do you know this to be the case, or are you offering a  just-so story in order to "prove" something?

- - - Updated - - -

You're right.

[P]43 obese Latino and black children aged 9 to 18 who also had high blood pressure, unhealthy cholesterol levels or signs of too much fat in their livers.[/P]

IOW, they looked only at kids who ate tons of sugar and already showed negative health effects. That is relevant because it is possible that people metabolize sugar differently and they looked at only the kids for whom sugar is a major problem and who consume a ton of it, and who probably have poor diets generally and don't exercise. It determines who the results generalize to and how much intake can be assumed harmful. Many kids may not be harmed much by the sugar in their diet, either because they only consume modest amounts and only extreme amount show negative effects (don't presume linear relationships), or because they do consume lots but other aspects of the diet or biology mean they don't have the same harmful reactions.

Then doesn't this demonstrate that allowing children to eat large amounts of sugar is a bad thing?

Of course it's not just table sugar or the added sugar in soft drinks, etc, that's a problem, consuming white flour products, bread, biscuits, cakes, white rice, and a host of other high GI or GL foods is for all practical purposes a high sugar intake without the obvious white powder that people normally think of as sugar.

Most people would feel better if they reduced their sugar intake. Most people consume too much. And people are ballooning out because of it. That and a sedentary life.

All of the elements--high cholesterol, high blood pressure, eating a lot of sugar, and a sedentary lifestyle are becoming too common. 60% of Americans take at least one prescription drug.

Researchers noted that eight of the 10 most commonly used drugs in the United States are for hypertension, heart failure, diabetes and other elements of the “cardiometabolic syndrome.” In addition, another frequently prescribed drug treats gastroesophageal reflux, a widespread condition among the overweight or obese.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...cans-than-ever-are-taking-prescription-drugs/

So again...elements that play a role in this, including sugar intake, are commonplace.

As with drugs and alcoholic drinks, the problem with sugar is that there's this come-again factor that leads many people and particularly children to excessive intake at the same time that the conditioning makes excessive intake very easy and therefore likely. It's more difficult for most people to eat too much. Too many products from food companies also contain too much sugar in this respect: fruit juice packs, jams, cakes, cookies and biscuits, etc. In many countries, for a very big chunk of the population the level of sugar consumed now is way too high. Current sugar consumption is directly responsible for the huge and continuous increases in the national health budget of most developed countries. Regulation is the only solution. Failure to implement appropriate regulations is tantamount to accepting the yearly manslaughter of thousands.
EB

As with drugs and alcoholic drinks, the problem with sugar is that there's this come-again factor that leads many people and particularly children to excessive intake at the same time that the conditioning makes excessive intake very easy and therefore likely. It's more difficult for most people to eat too much. Too many products from food companies also contain too much sugar in this respect: fruit juice packs, jams, cakes, cookies and biscuits, etc. In many countries, for a very big chunk of the population the level of sugar consumed now is way too high. Current sugar consumption is directly responsible for the huge and continuous increases in the national health budget of most developed countries. Regulation is the only solution. Failure to implement appropriate regulations is tantamount to accepting the yearly manslaughter of thousands.
EB

Unfortunately, at least in the US, getting this regulated is an epic struggle against stupidity and selfishness. And it does not help that the appropriate regulatory agencies are staffed by utter morons and / or are largely powerless.

I once worked on a project with the FDA. I left feeling unclean and ashamed.

A few things I have picked up from this thread so far that I would like to comment on:

1. Excess sugar intake leads to 'fat' kids/people. How do you explain me then? When I mention that I want to lose weight, everyone tells me to 'drop the sugar'. I don't know if I can possibly drop it any further. The only sugars I get are in fruit and veg, flat unleven bread, the alcohol I drink and the odd sweet biscuit. I don't have sugar in my coffee or tea.

2. As a teacher, I see kids of all sizes, weights and health types. I also see the effects that excessive sugar can have on a child's brain, behaviour, mood etc. I also see the effects that having a piece of fruit, or some vegetables, or half a sandwich, can have on a child's concentration.

Is there too much sugar in our society? In processed foods of convenience, yes! In foods prepared at home, simple meals of meat and veg? No!

But I am one person. All I can do is encourage children that fruit, veg, or half a sandwich are better for you than lollies, soft drink, chips etc.

P.S. The kids know I am on a diet and so generally do not give me chocolates as a present. :D So they must be learning something.. :p

I feel really privileged to have the wisdom to know that you shouldn't buy literal cases of carbonated sugar water.

The problem, I think, is that sugar is a normalized addiction. Nobody sees a reason to avoid it unless they're serious about their health, which few people are.

A few things I have picked up from this thread so far that I would like to comment on:

1. Excess sugar intake leads to 'fat' kids/people. How do you explain me then? When I mention that I want to lose weight, everyone tells me to 'drop the sugar'. I don't know if I can possibly drop it any further. The only sugars I get are in fruit and veg, flat unleven bread, the alcohol I drink and the odd sweet biscuit. I don't have sugar in my coffee or tea.

2. As a teacher, I see kids of all sizes, weights and health types. I also see the effects that excessive sugar can have on a child's brain, behaviour, mood etc. I also see the effects that having a piece of fruit, or some vegetables, or half a sandwich, can have on a child's concentration.

Is there too much sugar in our society? In processed foods of convenience, yes! In foods prepared at home, simple meals of meat and veg? No!

But I am one person. All I can do is encourage children that fruit, veg, or half a sandwich are better for you than lollies, soft drink, chips etc.

P.S. The kids know I am on a diet and so generally do not give me chocolates as a present. :D So they must be learning something.. :p

There is a difference between losing weight and not gaining weight.

Consuming too much sugar will surely cause weight gain, but not eating sugar will at best cause weight stabilization unless you get a lot of exercise or starve yourself.

The body isn't designed to lose weight, the body is designed to put weight on, so if you're eating a proper diet without excess calories your weight should stay pretty much constant. If you want to actually lose weight eating well isn't enough, you need to burn more than you consume.

There is a difference between losing weight and not gaining weight.

Consuming too much sugar will surely cause weight gain, but not eating sugar will at best cause weight stabilization unless you get a lot of exercise or starve yourself.

The body isn't designed to lose weight, the body is designed to put weight on, so if you're eating a proper diet without excess calories your weight should stay pretty much constant. If you want to actually lose weight eating well isn't enough, you need to burn more than you consume.

Nick,

I am actually, on average, consuming less kilojoules per day than I need to maintain weight. Therefore I should be losing it. I am also walking 3 - 4 days a week and burning up at least 10% of those said kilojoules...

I have plateaued and will begin losing again soon - according to my doctor. :D

EB

Unfortunately, at least in the US, getting this regulated is an epic struggle against stupidity and selfishness. And it does not help that the appropriate regulatory agencies are staffed by utter morons and / or are largely powerless.

I once worked on a project with the FDA. I left feeling unclean and ashamed.
It's not just in the U.S. of course. The UK just had a few skirmishes between government and I think a lonely member of parliament. Result so far: Sugar industry 1 - Kids 0. Now it’s true they have been trying to reduce the health care budget there for at least the last one hundred years...

In France we have some cafés acting as tobacco selling points. They have actually demonstrated in the streets against the uniform packaging of cigarettes, using all the bad arguments one can imagine, some of them the same as for sugar.
EB

- - - Updated - - -

Half a sandwich? Really? Who the hell eats half a sandwich?
Twins.
EB

Back
Top Bottom