• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another study about kids and sugar.

I am actually, on average, consuming less kilojoules per day than I need to maintain weight. Therefore I should be losing it. I am also walking 3 - 4 days a week and burning up at least 10% of those said kilojoules...

I have plateaued and will begin losing again soon - according to my doctor. :D
Fat is used by your body as last resort. Your body tries to keep it just in case you hit a bad spot where you'd be starving. It will preferentially use sugars, fast and slow, and to some extent proteins, to support your daily activities. But no one wants to starve all day long to be short on sugars all the time to force fat use so I can see only sufficiently strenuous physical activity to do the trick. A two-hour jogging once a week could do the job (but not two one-hour joggings). Your body has no choice but use fat when glycogen gets too low. It works. I lost ten kilos in ten years just by jogging once a week, initially one hour moving on to three and more. I think I started losing at two-and-a-half hour despite eating like two. Keep in mind that you need to go on until you are actually feeling the stiffness in your legs and keep going some more. Keep it safe by asking your doctor (think of your heart, knees and vertebra). It’s important to be very progressive (start with a half-hour jog for two months and if you feel comfortable increase five minutes a week at most throughout the first year) and regular (it should become a routine). You can aim at two hours after one or two years, or even more. It took me seven years. If jogging is not possible, brisk walking is good too. Half an hour a day every day to keep healthy but more if you need to lose weight. How much more I don’t know but whatever you do should do you some good.
Try no alcohol 48 hours before exercising, or better still, no alcohol at all. :)
EB

I am actually, on average, consuming less kilojoules per day than I need to maintain weight. Therefore I should be losing it. I am also walking 3 - 4 days a week and burning up at least 10% of those said kilojoules...

I have plateaued and will begin losing again soon - according to my doctor. :D
Fat is used by your body as last resort. Your body tries to keep it just in case you hit a bad spot where you'd be starving. It will preferentially use sugars, fast and slow, and to some extent proteins, to support your daily activities. But no one wants to starve all day long to be short on sugars all the time to force fat use so I can see only sufficiently strenuous physical activity to do the trick. A two-hour jogging once a week could do the job (but not two one-hour joggings). Your body has no choice but use fat when glycogen gets too low. It works. I lost ten kilos in ten years just by jogging once a week, initially one hour moving on to three and more. I think I started losing at two-and-a-half hour despite eating like two. Keep in mind that you need to go on until you are actually feeling the stiffness in your legs and keep going some more. Keep it safe by asking your doctor (think of your heart, knees and vertebra). It’s important to be very progressive (start with a half-hour jog for two months and if you feel comfortable increase five minutes a week at most throughout the first year) and regular (it should become a routine). You can aim at two hours after one or two years, or even more. It took me seven years. If jogging is not possible, brisk walking is good too. Half an hour a day every day to keep healthy but more if you need to lose weight. How much more I don’t know but whatever you do should do you some good.
Try no alcohol 48 hours before exercising, or better still, no alcohol at all. :)
EB

We are walking our dogs more often than not. At first we have done 20 min walks around our block(s) which result in me spending between 80 and 100 calories. Our goal is to once a week (or more) double that to a 50 minute walk (to the shops and back) which uses up to 200 calories.

We are looking at reducing our daily intake and increasing our daily output in the hope of keeping weight off, and losing it at the same time.

I am under dietitian and medical advice as I am rapidly approaching 50, on HRT, previous sufferer of hypertension and cholesterol issues, as well as being obese.

I am under dietitian and medical advice as I am rapidly approaching 50, on HRT, previous sufferer of hypertension and cholesterol issues, as well as being obese.
So definitely no jogging yet.

Our goal is to once a week (or more) double that to a 50 minute walk (to the shops and back) which uses up to 200 calories.
A 50min-walk once a week won't be quite enough so think of it as a start. Once you get comfortable at 50min then try to move up gradually, with no more than 10min increases one week to the next. Keep it progressive and try to make it a long-term routine. A twice-a-week routine should be the target within a few months. Then, starts with a short walk for a few weeks for the second walk of the week.

At 45 I was still doing one-hour jogs and I did that for years. Now I am doing three-hour jogs once a week routinely. Just keep it progressive and routine. Think also about checking how you feel before you go and calibrate accordingly.
EB

Our goal is to once a week (or more) double that to a 50 minute walk (to the shops and back) which uses up to 200 calories.
A 50min-walk once a week won't be quite enough so think of it as a start. Once you get comfortable at 50min then try to move up gradually, with no more than 10min increases one week to the next. Keep it progressive and try to make it a long-term routine. A twice-a-week routine should be the target within a few months. Then, starts with a short walk for a few weeks for the second walk of the week.

At 45 I was still doing one-hour jogs and I did that for years. Now I am doing three-hour jogs once a week routinely. Just keep it progressive and routine. Think also about checking how you feel before you go and calibrate accordingly.
EB

We are doing okay I think. The other issue I have is arthritic feet which flare up if I have been on them a lot, which can happen as a teacher. It's a hindrance for sure.

Mental Note: Get the bike out....

EB

We are doing okay I think. The other issue I have is arthritic feet which flare up if I have been on them a lot, which can happen as a teacher. It's a hindrance for sure.

Is swimming an option?

Is swimming an option?

Not anymore.. I don't have a pool and the nearest one costs to enter..

Not anymore.. I don't have a pool and the nearest one costs to enter..

Gym close by? Rec or community center? I can also send you a link to how to construct equipment to exercise with at home. Does not cost that much and the benefits are huge.

Thanks. Not really a gym person. Have dogs though.

Back
Top Bottom