• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Anti-CRT Hysteria

And that ain't even new. Down here in Texas we have to fight conservative efforts to gut American history books in Texas schools David Barton's bad history books. Slavery wasn't that bad, the Civil was was about states rights and not slavery. America was founded as a Christian nation. De-emphasize Thomas Jefferson, and teach Phyllis Schlafly. Really!

*snipped for brevity, click the arrow if you want*

So explain yourself. Why the devil should anyone take your word for it when you say claiming CRT was inspired by Marxism "of course is false"?
Wow, that's a lot of correlation, implication and inference there.
Frankly, it does not matter what "inspired" CRT. If "love of justice" inspired CRT as it stands does that make CRT more acceptable than if _____ism(you fill in the blank)?

The whole "Oh noes CRT is tantamount to Marxism" is mindless rightwing hysteria to avoid the actual content of CRT.

Do you have any actual case to present showing CRT isn't based on Marxism, or are we all just supposed to take your uncorroborated word for it that it is not? The history of the CRT movement is a matter of record. It's in Wikipedia. ...
So explain yourself. Why the devil should anyone take your word for it when you say claiming CRT was inspired by Marxism "of course is false"?

What part of CRT is objectionably based on false Marxist principles? BE SPECIFIC.
:facepalm:

Does the fact that you're shamelessly moving the goalposts mean you're withdrawing the claim you made that I challenged? Or are you just trying to distract attention from your inability to back up your claim? I didn't say CRT was objectionably based on false Marxist principles; I merely pointed out you were making an extraordinary claim without attempting to provide even ordinary evidence. If you are prepared to stipulate that CRT was based on and inspired by Marxism, and you now wish to argue that this is no reason to object because the Marxist principles it's based on are true, great -- we can move on to the next phase of the discussion. But if your position is that CRT really isn't Marxist-inspired and that anyone who disputes your version of its history is on the hook to prove Marxist principles are false before the historical facts of CRT's origins may be considered, then you are just being a cheap propagandist.

Are only right winged conservatives allowed to comment on Americcan systematic racism?
Why did you write that? As you are perfectly aware, I didn't indicate that there was anything wrong with Marxists being allowed to comment; and as you are perfectly aware, there is a huge range of opinion that is neither Marxist nor "right winged conservative". You are blatantly strawmanning. Don't do that.

See the Lee Atwater quote above. Basically the conservative right has never been part of the solution, but is the problem.

Back in the past, some of the few whites that stood up against American racism was the Communist Party USA. Did that fact make anti-racism bad? J. Edgar Hoover thought so and accused civil rights protests on the Communists stirring up the negros. And harassed civil rights leaders unmercifully. Meanwhile utterly ignoring Costra Nostra organized crime.

Yeah baby! Tell us how bad them Marxists are standing up to racism when many American Dixiecrats (soon to become Republicans) were stout racists.

This guilt by association can be heard on Fox News, but we find little right wing concern about America's deteriorating racism opposition.
That's some chutzpah -- you complain of guilt-by-association five seconds after you blatantly used it on your opponents. Are you next going to deny the Katyn Forest Massacre ever happened, and then call everybody who challenges your denialism a fascist, on account of fascists having been the first to publicize the massacre?

Tell us why being a Marxist means that person has no right to study America's race problems. Or accurately point out America's systemic racism!
:facepalm:

Tell us why you haven't stopped beating your wife. Tell us why challenging your unevidenced historical claim is the same thing as asserting "being a Marxist means that person has no right to study America's race problems."

Fratelli Tutti
Encyclical of Pope Francis ...
And this is what Anti-CRT is about. Using Rufo's dirty trick campaign to get laws passed to prevent discussion of American history in American Schools. To disappear all that into the Orwellian memory hole. ...
So sayeth the guy who tried to disappear the Marxist pedigree of CRT into the Orwellian memory hole, right in his OP.

I am not saying CRT was inspired by Marxism.
Thank you Captain Obvious. Nobody said you were saying it was inspired by Marxism. You quite clearly said it was not inspired by Marxism. And you quite clearly offered no evidence for your claim. And you quite clearly treated skepticism as making a person fair game for strawmanning and guilt-by-association. Why do you behave this way?

The point is, even if we find Marxists studying these issues, it does not mean CRT is wrong.
I didn't say it does. But the fact that it does not mean CRT is wrong does not justify revisionist history. So why are you trying to sweep its Marxist origins under the rug if you think they're nothing to be embarrassed about?

Get your story straight. Do you want to claim that CRT didn't arise from Marxism, or do you want to claim that it's okay for it to have arisen from Marxism?

Frankly, it does not matter what "inspired" CRT. If "love of justice" inspired CRT as it stands does that make CRT more acceptable than if _____ism(you fill in the blank)?

The whole "Oh noes CRT is tantamount to Marxism" is mindless rightwing hysteria to avoid the actual content of CRT.
<deleted>

How did Anti-CRT hysteria so rapidly infect Republican politics? ALEC. From people like Rufo and the Manhatten Institute to ALEC to model laws instituted nation wide by ignorant politicians.

You mistake the symptom for the disease - racism is the reason, ALEC is the vector.​

Frankly, it does not matter what inspired anti-CRT. If "love of evidence" inspired anti-CRT as it stands does that make anti-CRT more acceptable than if _____ism(you fill in the blank)? The whole "Oh noes anti-CRT is tantamount to racism" is mindless leftwing hysteria to avoid the actual content of CRT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting for evidence of CRT being a part of the public school curriculum from Kindergarten to 12th grade before I start ... whether its Marxist or not. That's just me.
Then why do you care about CRT at all? Why aren't you equally waiting for evidence of CRT being a part of the public school curriculum before you start posting in a CRT thread? What makes its potential Marxistness different from anything else about it?

Then why do you care about CRT at all?
I think Gospel cares more about the shitty bad faith arguments and distortions conservatives have been making using the magic words "critical race theory" since June of last year.

And it's not an American issue. Reich wingers across the globe have been reading from the same hymn sheet;

I assumed as much - it was more directed at Bomb#20's convoluted...argument? Explanation? Rant?
You appear to have some problem with my post. What's the problem? CC made a claim without offering evidence for it. The claim appeared to be highly dubious for reasons I pointed out. So what's your issue? Do you feel CC's claim should have gone unchallenged and simply been accepted as a shared premise by everyone reading the thread? Do you feel my reasons for doubting it were insufficient to justify skepticism? How much justification do you feel skepticism requires? If you consider burden-of-proof to be on the doubter of a claim rather than on the maker of a claim, why is that?

How did Anti-CRT hysteria so rapidly infect Republican politics? ALEC. From people like Rufo and the Manhatten Institute to ALEC to model laws instituted nation wide by ignorant politicians.
It's a year later, and the same left-wingers are still ticked off that right-wing propagandists are still better propagandists than their own propagandists.

PTQjCN7.gif

I'm waiting for evidence of CRT being a part of the public school curriculum from Kindergarten to 12th grade before I start ... whether its Marxist or not. That's just me.
Then why do you care about CRT at all? Why aren't you equally waiting for evidence of CRT being a part of the public school curriculum before you start posting in a CRT thread? What makes its potential Marxistness different from anything else about it?
Because parents are yelling at school board meetings, AM alt-right radio is warning of the dangers... of something that isn't being taught in the schools at all! I find that very disturbing.

<Consistency Edit>
Why do you feel my observation makes me a hypocrite?

You mistake the symptom for the disease - racism is the reason, ALEC is the vector.​

Frankly, it does not matter what inspired anti-CRT. If "love of evidence" inspired anti-CRT as it stands does that make anti-CRT more acceptable than if _____ism(you fill in the blank)? The whole "Oh noes anti-CRT is tantamount to racism" is mindless leftwing hysteria to avoid the actual content of CRT.
Tell you what - provide some evidence that the anti-CRT has some and you have a point. Their "guilt by association with Marxists" is not evidence.

<Consistency Edit>
<deleted>

Tell you what - provide some evidence that the anti-CRT has some and you have a point.
Been there, done that -- we all beat this topic to death a year ago in the "What, exactly, is CRT?" thread. (Besides which, you haven't provided evidence that the CRT crowd has some "love of justice".)

Their "guilt by association with Marxists" is not evidence.
Your "guilt by association with racists" is not evidence. See how it works?

The difference is, we know how to actually denounce the Marxists.

CPAC made it clear that the racists aren't just in the big tent of the right, they're the guests of honor.

<Consistency Edit>
It's not your observation that makes you a hypocrite; it's you objecting to your opponents doing it but not objecting to yourself doing it that makes you a hypocrite.
But that is not the case.
Tell you what - provide some evidence that the anti-CRT has some and you have a point.
Been there, done that -- we all beat this topic to death a year ago in the "What, exactly, is CRT?" thread. (Besides which, you haven't provided evidence that the CRT crowd has some "love of justice".)
First. I made no claim about what inspired CRT. None.
Second, you missed my point that it doesn't matter what inspired CRT - it is the content of CRT that is important, not the inspiration. And, while I understand you feel that you have "been there, done that", understand that I think you have not.
Their "guilt by association with Marxists" is not evidence.
I didn't make such a claim. But I am glad that you now understand that "guilt by association with Marxists" is not evidence because in post #13 it appears you did not.

I care because Republican law makers are making laws that are effecting everyone to prevent something that didn't happen to anyone.

This thread recalls a discussion I heard yesterday on NPR. It could have been entitled “Why Are Republicans So Stupid?”
It involved lots of surmising about chickens and eggs, as well as conjecture about the shapes, sizes and colors of things that infatuate stupid people. Add the willingness of Republican leaders to manufacture such objects, Democrats’ lack of practice at it and the enduring allegiance of stupid people to those who coddle Teh Stoopid, and the picture is not hard to understand.

The stupidest 10-15% segment of the electorate is perhaps the single most reliable group of voters, and can be relied on to vote for whoever is most willing to tell them they’re smart, and that all those intellectuals who can read and write are stupid criminals out to steal their riches. That segment accounts for the victory of virtually every Republican elected.

I care because Republican law makers are making laws that are effecting everyone to prevent something that didn't happen to anyone.
How are their laws affecting everyone? Are they prohibiting CRT, and if so are the courts mistaking something else for CRT? Or are they prohibiting something other than CRT?

How are their laws affecting everyone? Are they prohibiting CRT, and if so are the courts mistaking something else for CRT? Or are they prohibiting something other than CRT?
I mean, what is wrong with politicians passing legislation to protect us from something that doesn't exist, that they say exists. That isn't remotely Orwellian.

This thread recalls a discussion I heard yesterday on NPR. It could have been entitled “Why Are Republicans So Stupid?”
It involved lots of surmising about chickens and eggs, as well as conjecture about the shapes, sizes and colors of things that infatuate stupid people. Add the willingness of Republican leaders to manufacture such objects, Democrats’ lack of practice at it and the enduring allegiance of stupid people to those who coddle Teh Stoopid, and the picture is not hard to understand.

The stupidest 10-15% segment of the electorate is perhaps the single most reliable group of voters, and can be relied on to vote for whoever is most willing to tell them they’re smart, and that all those intellectuals who can read and write are stupid criminals out to steal their riches. That segment accounts for the victory of virtually every Republican elected.
I don't think they're stupid. I just think they're dishonest and their religions give them every excuse to pretend that they are not, with lots of little rhetorical voids and nonsensical cul-de-sacs for them to hide in when confronted with that.

It's like a shell produced by a spineless slug.

How are their laws affecting everyone? Really? Murder is real right? It's why there is a law against it. Rape is real right? Thus the laws against it. CRT is/was being taught in Florida public schools (or any school in the country)? No? Doesn't matter, there is a law against it so it must have been real.

I'm not even going to get into the dangers of creating laws for imagined crimes because we'd end up talking about whitey's history. The same whitey this anti-CRT law is meant to appease.

Back
Top Bottom