• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

AOC and Rashida Tlaib propose creating public banks

Like your man says, more akin to printing money than borrowing. But printing money is borrowing -- currency is a debt instrument. The bailout money from the Fed is a loan to the bank. If it's repaid -- which they mostly were -- no big deal. But if it isn't repaid, the akin-to-printed money will be a permanent addition to the money supply, bumping inflation up unless the Fed compensates elsewhere -- which it probably will: some other government operation will be financed by the taxpayers instead of by more akin-to-printing money. Or else they'll allow inflation to rise, which amounts to a tax on the currency held by the public.
Pretty much, yeah. And that's always the case with conventional monetary policy; QE just being conventional expansionary monetary policy on far larger scale (see here). What I said.

Money is fungible so it's easy to metaphysically relabel, but one way or another an unrepaid bailout is coming out of the taxpayers' hides.
But not via taxation. Inflation is a tax on currency holders with winners and losers. And that's assuming bailouts due to irresponsible lending due to lack of profit motive. Profit motive patently does not deter irresponsible lending.

I don't see any incompatibility, but I think you're quoting a forum participant, not H.R.8721, which has yet to be submitted.
Sure; I quoted him because he has a gift for phrasing and appears to have perfectly captured the overall sentiment behind AOC et al.'s rhetoric on the subject.
Whereas the precise mechanism remains subject to submission and review. Unless Federal charter means something unique and unprecendented, "tax funded" in the event of insolvency or illiquidity is either a misnomer or something which already applies to commercial banks.

then they will be "tax-funded".
They might or might not be. That'd be a policy decision in the event of insolvency or illiquidity; not a corollary of publicness.
True, the government might create a public bank and then let it go bankrupt and stiff all the depositors. But that seems an unlikely scenario.
Exactly.

It certainly does not say that if you read the rest.

Just because it's your religion doesn't make it so.

What you are missing is the vast majority of dollars loaned out get deposited back in some bank--probably not the same one but it will average out. Picture a simple world with only one bank and obviously those deposits come right back into the bank. The bank now has more money on deposit with which to make more loans, minus the reserve percentage.
Obviously not. If Customer A makes a $100 payment to Customer B, Customer A's account is debited by $100 and Customer B's account is credited by $100. The total quantity of money on deposit is unchanged no matter how many transactions occur.

Not completely--some money ends up as cash. But it's a reasonable approximation which makes for the situation I am describing.

Lets take a simple society with one bank, a million dollars (in the bank) and a 10% reserve requirement. If the bank loans as much as it possibly can you will have ten million in loans. What you're missing is the bank's books show 11 million in deposits and 10 million in loans, they have not loaned more than they had! They loaned more than they started with, but that's because the loans were deposited back in the bank. (Money can't be any place other than in the bank or as currency--and the currency supply is a small fraction of the total money supply.)

i) Yes they would have "loaned more than they had" since how much they "had" and how much they "started with" mean the the same thing. The bank would obviously have loaned more more than it "had" or "started with" since 11,000,000 is more than 1,000,000.

ii) That isn't, in any case, how it actually works. That's the "money multiplier" model of money creation, which most central banks, the BIS and IMF aver is not how it works. It's readily falsified by the observation that the broad money supply in countries with minimum reserve ratio requirements is often a far larger multiple of the monetary base than would be possible if it were. It's also been empirically falsified by monitoring internal accounting at individual banks, e.g. by Prof. Richard Werner: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1057521914001070

If banks create money out of nothing, explain why that doesn't show up in their balance sheet.

Just because it's your religion doesn't make it so.
Absolutely correct, which is why I refer to something other than my own opinion. Religious conviction would be endlessly repeating your opinion despite all evidence to the contrary.

Obviously not. If Customer A makes a $100 payment to Customer B, Customer A's account is debited by $100 and Customer B's account is credited by $100. The total quantity of money on deposit is unchanged no matter how many transactions occur.

Not completely--some money ends up as cash. But it's a reasonable approximation which makes for the situation I am describing.
No, the money multiplier model - itself falsified - wouldn't even work in that scenario.

Lets take a simple society with one bank, a million dollars (in the bank) and a 10% reserve requirement. If the bank loans as much as it possibly can you will have ten million in loans. What you're missing is the bank's books show 11 million in deposits and 10 million in loans, they have not loaned more than they had! They loaned more than they started with, but that's because the loans were deposited back in the bank. (Money can't be any place other than in the bank or as currency--and the currency supply is a small fraction of the total money supply.)

i) Yes they would have "loaned more than they had" since how much they "had" and how much they "started with" mean the the same thing. The bank would obviously have loaned more more than it "had" or "started with" since 11,000,000 is more than 1,000,000.

ii) That isn't, in any case, how it actually works. That's the "money multiplier" model of money creation, which most central banks, the BIS and IMF aver is not how it works. It's readily falsified by the observation that the broad money supply in countries with minimum reserve ratio requirements is often a far larger multiple of the monetary base than would be possible if it were. It's also been empirically falsified by monitoring internal accounting at individual banks, e.g. by Prof. Richard Werner: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1057521914001070

If banks create money out of nothing, explain why that doesn't show up in their balance sheet.
It is precisely through forensic examination of bank balance sheets that Werner and others showed that they do, and with no transfer or debit from other accounts or banks (I'd just linked to Werner's study FFS). Most central banks, the BIS and IMF have since published literature illustrating the "double entry" balance sheet procedure by which they do so.

For those with terminally short attention spans, IMF economists and former banker Michael Kumhof and Prof. Dirk Bezemer confirm this in under 2 minutes:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6_SLwReMqo[/YOUTUBE]

Read an explanation of Fractional Reserve Banking, what you have as support to claim that the banks loan out deposits. Search for yourself and find a source that you trust. (Wikipedia has in the past had a good one, but I am reluctant to suggest one any more because other people, not you, just use it as an excuse to ignore what the reference says and to attack the creditability of the source.)

<<snip>>​

So with no laws, it made it hard to prove criminality.

Once again, the answer is simple. We had to bail them out because what they do is vital for the economy. In our real economy, the government is responsible for the governance of the banks. The banks don't self-regulate, obviously.

The problem is the banking system lacks the ability for a company to go bankrupt and have its shares turned over to creditors but continue to operate. Bail them out, take the shares and trickle them back onto the market at a set rate.

<<snip>>​

My statement about the laws not existing making it hard to prove (any) criminality was meant to inject some humor by belaboring the obvious. Sorry if I missed or offended you in the process.

Of course banks lend out their deposits. Put it this way, if a bank closes a loan, it either uses it's existing reserves (which includes deposits) or it must borrower. Of course lending out from a bank's deposits is a lower cost of funds for banks. If they have to borrower, it's more expensive. Banks today are very flush with deposits (ie: deposits are greater than loans) and so their cost of funds is lower.
I provided a fairly detailed explanation of the process by which banks create money by making loans. If you believe that the banks just loan out the deposits that they have in the bank, how do you think that money is created?

Yes, banks loan out the money in their reserve account and when the borrowers pay the loans back the bank puts that money minus the interest payments which is the bank's money to cover their expenses and profits. But this reserve account doesn't include the deposits in the bank nor is it the bank's capitalization, the bank's money.

The reserve account is money that has been created by the Fed for the purpose of making bank loans. In a very large member bank, the reserve account is in the Fed, in a smaller bank the account is in a larger member bank who fund it from their reserve account in the Fed.

I don't know who you consider being an authority on the economy but fewer economists have a broader following among all of the modern schools of economics, from Austrian/Libertarian economics to post-Keynesians than Joseph Schumpeter who wrote,

It is much more realistic to say that the banks 'create credit,' that is, that they create deposits in their act of lending than to say that they lend the deposits that have been entrusted to them.
I besides this quote from authority I could only think of three or four more reasons that banks don't loan out deposits.

The deposits remain in the bank. Have you ever had a check bounce or not have been able to withdraw money from your savings account because your money is out on loan? Of course, you haven't. [/slightly facetious]

Many court decisions have established that when you give your money to a bank you are loaning that money to the bank. That there is no such thing as a deposit, legally.

In macroeconomic sense money only impacts the economy when it is circulating through the economy, even if it does so in a computer network. That is money deposited in a bank account isn't money to the economy.

When a loan is made the bank does it by either depositing the money in the borrower's account or by handing the borrower a check drawn against an account of the bank's. In either case, if the bank was loaning out deposits they would have the same money in two different accounts, the loan amount would be entered twice in the books of the bank.

In the books of the bank, the loan amount is an asset of the bank while the deposits are liabilities for the bank. This balances the books and denies, once again, that the bank loans out deposits, they can't loan out a liability and convert it into an asset, it doesn't make any sense.

Banks aren't limited by the dollar amount of deposits they have for how much they can loan out. They can borrow money from the Fed's discount window to lend. The Fed "prints" this money by typing numbers into the bank's reserve account. This is the money creation that some say, unfairly, is out of thin air. But all of the money in the reserve account is money that was created that way at some time in the past.

Fractional reserve banking, FRB, required a small percentage of the loan to be covered by deposits, but this didn't mean that this percentage was loaned out. The full amount of the loan was paid out of the bank's reserve account. FRB stopped being a practical limitation on the dollar amount of loans that a bank can make when Congress decided that the reserve requirement was best lowered to zero for commercial demand accounts.

Currently, they can only have a total amount of loans outstanding not to exceed 8 times their capitalization, with nothing said about how much in deposits they have. As pointed out before, deposits are liabilities for the bank and certainly not part of the bank's capitalization, if that is what you think.

The problem is the banking system lacks the ability for a company to go bankrupt and have it's shares turned over to creditors but continue to operate.
Why do you say that? Bankruptcy courts do that sort of thing every day.

Most businesses, yes, but not banks.

Privately held banks act as unelected gatekeepers on the totality of activities within a society. The exact huge fees for services that are for the most part unwanted by the majority of people. They are simply a wealth extraction machine for their owners and they impoverish society as a whole.

The problem is the banking system lacks the ability for a company to go bankrupt and have it's shares turned over to creditors but continue to operate.
Why do you say that? Bankruptcy courts do that sort of thing every day.

But why? What's stopping a bankruptcy court that turned a failed pin factory over to its creditors yesterday from turning a failed bank over to its creditors today? Is there a clause in U.S. bankruptcy law excluding banks? Is there something specific about what bankers do for a living that makes the whole concept of bankruptcy impossible to apply?

But why? What's stopping a bankruptcy court that turned a failed pin factory over to its creditors yesterday from turning a failed bank over to its creditors today? Is there a clause in U.S. bankruptcy law excluding banks? Is there something specific about what bankers do for a living that makes the whole concept of bankruptcy impossible to apply?

There are special rules, I don't recall the details.

Privately held banks act as unelected gatekeepers on the totality of activities within a society. The exact huge fees for services that are for the most part unwanted by the majority of people. They are simply a wealth extraction machine for their owners and they impoverish society as a whole.

My good buddy Arkirk is back! You're saying that most people don't want a deposit account? This entire thread is about how to help people get accounts in areas where the banks aren't in. You should start at the beginning of the thread.

Banks do go bankrupt. But that is very rare. The FDIC tightly regulates banking and will step in before bankruptcy can occur most of the time.

Banks do go bankrupt. But that is very rare. The FDIC tightly regulates banking and will step in before bankruptcy can occur most of the time.

The issue was going bankrupt and continuing to operate as many businesses can do. The creditors get the company intact rather than it being liquidated.

Here's what happens when your bank fails

FDIC insurance applies only if your bank fails. And after a few volatile years, bank failures have again become rare. Just a handful of banks have been shuttered in 2015.

That's a huge improvement. From 2008 to 2012, the FDIC reported 465 bank failures. The largest was Washington Mutual, which had $307 billion in assets when it failed in 2008. The government blamed the failure on WaMu's high-risk lending strategy.

When a bank fails, the FDIC must collect and sell the assets of the failed bank and settle its debts. If your bank goes bust, the FDIC will typically reimburse your insured deposits the next business day, says Williams-Young.

I am sorry that it has taken me so long to answer you. Life has intruded, and I wanted to try out on your different ways to explain these things.

Read an explanation of Fractional Reserve Banking, what you have as support to claim that the banks loan out deposits. Search for yourself and find a source that you trust. (Wikipedia has had a good one in the past, but I am reluctant to suggest one any more because other people, not you, just use it as an excuse to ignore what the reference says and to attack the creditability of the source.)

Wikipedia can be counted on to take the leftist position right or wrong but is otherwise generally quite good. In this case, I have no problem with it.

Yes, Wikipedia makes an effort to report facts, which have been established repeatedly on these pages that facts have a liberal bent, unlike conservatives who need lies and conspiracy theories to justify their ideology.

Glad to see you understand this basic fact.

Then I suggest looking at your own source:

Fractional Reserve Banking

Wikipedia said:
involves banks accepting deposits from customers and making loans to borrowers while holding in reserve an amount equal to only a fraction of the bank's deposit liabilities.

I agree with this.

Which doesn't say what you think it says. This does not say that they can loan more than they have, but rather that they are limited to loaning less than they have.

No, it says that the bank has to restrict its total amount of loans to some small percentage of their deposits. If the percentage is, say, 5%, the bank is limited to total loans of twenty times the amount of deposits in hand. However, I believe another reserve has to be kept to cover day to day demand accounts, which are the majority of the bank's money.

100% reserve banking would mean that the banks are restricted to the total amount of loans they have in deposits. But reserve banking doesn't mean that they loan out the deposits, no matter the reserve percentage.

What you are missing is the vast majority of dollars loaned out get deposited back in some bank--probably not the same one, but it will average out. Picture a simple world with only one bank, and obviously, those deposits come right back into the bank. The bank now has more money on deposit with which to make more loans, minus the reserve percentage. The money is loaned out, comes back, repeat.

I certainly didn't miss this. In fact, I listed in post #106 to Harry as a reason that we know that banks don't loan out deposits; if they deposited the loan amount into the borrowers account in the same bank, it means that the amount of the loan is in the bank's books twice as a deposit.

Besides, deposits are liabilities to the bank. Loans are assets of the bank. Somewhere in your explanation of deposits becoming loans becoming deposits to allow more loans, you will cross the line of turning liabilities into assets repeatedly. I am not sure, but I suspect that this might run foul of the accounting rules.

Let's take a simple society with one bank, a million dollars (in the bank), and a 10% reserve requirement. If the bank loans as much as it possibly can, you will have ten million in loans. What you're missing is the bank's books show 11 million in deposits and 10 million in loans; they have not loaned more than they had! They loaned more than they started with, but that's because the loans were deposited back in the bank. (Money can't be any place other than in the bank or as currency--and the currency supply is a small fraction of the total money supply.)

You are the one saying that the bank loans out its deposits. You shouldn't be arguing with yourself. The bank only had a million dollars in deposits to loan out. After that, they were loaning money created somehow and not by double accounting deposits. I sent you to Wikipedia to see if they told you where the 9 million dollars came from to total the 10 million in loans. Did they?

A bank makes profits by making loans. Without any regulations, a could make as many loans as it wants to, and the Fed would be obligated to make as much money as the bank needs to make the loans. Therefore the Fed is faced with a constant battle to find some way to limit the loans that a bank can make. The battle is with the Congress in our system of you can only have as much representative democracy as you can pay for, and the banks can pay a lot.

FRB was in force for many years requiring banks to limit their loans to some percentage of the deposits they have in the bank. This didn't mean that the bank loaned out even the deposits' reserve amount, 10% in your simple and therefore irrelevant example. In fact, it means the opposite, that they have to hold this amount of deposits in reserve, hence the name.

The current limitation is that a bank can only loan out a total of 8 times its capitalization. This doesn't mean that the bank loans out its capitalization. That would be as nuts as repeatedly insisting that the bank loans out its deposits, which are the bank's liabilities.

What you are describing is well known; economists call it the velocity of money. As you say, a single dollar changes hands multiple times in a year growing the GDP by a dollar every time it is exchanged. It doesn't count as an additional dollar in the money supply every time it is exchanged.

Once again, I urge you to search for "what is the velocity of money," pick a source you trust, and see if it is what you describe above.

What you are missing is that for its effect on the economy, the dollar is counted each time it changes hands. Basically, economic activity = money supply * velocity.

I did point this out. See where I put my statement in bold above. I said that the velocity of money added to GDP but not to the money supply, as you said.

Only "Currency in Circulation" (CURRCIR in FRED if you want to see a chart of it) is impacting the economy. Money in a bank account has no impact on the economy. Like everything in mainstream economics, there is a lot of voodoo about which measure of the money supply reflects the impact of money on the economy.

Interest rates control the velocity of money because they cause a change in the number and amounts of loans that directly create money, putting money that was doing nothing for the economy sitting in a reserve account and putting it back into the economy. Unfortunately, as interest rates are effectively below zero with the rise in the cost of living and the indexes of business costs, the Fed's control by adjusting the interest rates is nearly zero.

Correct.

A much better way is to directly control the amount of money in the economy by using a variable tax rate controlled by the Fed. If we have inflation, increase the taxes withheld by the payroll tax, such as putting the money from it into the document shredder. If you have deflation in a recession, lower the payroll tax and the withholding for it and have the Fed create money to replace the lost taxes in the Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid trust fund.

But here you go wrong. The multiplication effect exists no matter what--you must create/destroy vast sums to produce the same effect as you get with a small change in interest rates. You can also change things faster with interest rates than you can with the printer and the shredder--and much of the problem the Fed has holding things on an even keel is the lag of even the interest rate approach. Your approach would lag even more than this cause the economy to wiggle around even more.
I don't know what you mean by the economy having to "wiggle around."

It is pretty easy. Inflation is too much money in the economy. Money is in the hands of people who want to spend it. So prices go up. Increasing the payroll tax and the amount of money withheld to pay those taxes will have nearly an immediate impact, a maximum lag of month, on the economy's amount of money if the government shreds the money if they don't spend it into the economy. Basically, ding everyone a little bit to control inflation rather than crippling the part of the economy that sells big-ticket items.

Raising interest rates doesn't trigger a multiplication factor. In theory, it cuts down the demand for high-cost items like homes, cars, white goods, commercial and industrial construction, etc., things that require a loan to buy. But when it is below zero, taking into account the inflation, changes in the interest rates don't impact the economy.

It should be determined by the demand. So far, in the US, it has been. In places like the Weimar Republic and Zimbabwe, it was used to fund government spending, with catastrophic results.

The other way that money is created is by the federal government putting its budget into deficit. It has been used recently primarily to give tax relief to rich people. When the budget deficit is given to the bottom 90% of earners, they tend to spend the economy. The economy's reaction is positive growth that reduces the impact of the deficit. When the money created by the budget deficit is given to the very rich, they tend to save the newly created money in stocks and bonds where there is no impact on the overall economy. No impact, no growth.

While the tax cuts have run up the deficit, they don't create money; they just move money from elsewhere into government bonds.

Yes, we sell T-Bills to raise the money to give to the rich in tax cuts.

I bet that the T-Bill owner believes that he still has the $10,000 just in the form of a bond. Do you want to tell him that his money has been destroyed when he bought the bond, or should I? You believe it, so you should be the one to tell him. If only I could find another way to convince you, you might not have to do it.

Let's see; you like identities,

Your identity above is,

Y = M * v

Where Y is GDP, M one of the money stocks and v is the velocity of money. GDP is a flow of money through the economy in a year, and the money stock is a fixed amount, a stock. The velocity of money turns the money stock into a flow.

As I said before, there are many different money stocks measures, so there are just as many different velocities of money. This is not very useful for determining if the budget deficit creates money, is it?

Try this,

Y = C + I + G + (X - W)

Where Y is GDP, C is consumer spending, I is business investment, G is government spending, X is the exports plus the spending for non-residents for US stocks and bonds, insurance and real estate, and W is imports plus the same things that US residents buy ex-US - because I & M were already taken. This is the national identity, the cash flow for the US economy. But it still doesn't get us closer to answering our question. But there is one more identity that might help, the household identity.

Y = C + S + T

Where S is private savings and T is taxation adjusted for transfer payments to the household. The Y here is national income for households which is only about 60% of GDP. Still, for our purposes it is close enough because they move together, i.e. what we are interested in, the dY/dt, of each are proportional.

This means that we can combine the two identities like this,

C + S + T = C + I + G + (X - W)

which reduces to, S + T = I + G + (X - W) or by subtracting T and I from both sides we get,

(S - I) = (G - T) + (X - W)

this is where we want to be, (G - T) is the budget surplus or deficit, right?

So what does this tell us? It tells that the private savings minus the business investment equals the government budget deficit plus the net exports, that trade deficits reduce private savings and that trade surpluses add to private savings, and likewise, that budget deficits add to private savings and budget surpluses reduce private savings.

These are flows of money to the different sectors of the economy. This is apparently radical economics, not accepted by mainstream economics who prefer their seemingly never-ending quest for a valid mathematical model of the economy. Which has always been hamstrung by the incorrect assumptions of mainstream economics.

Their computer model of the economy couldn't have been used for this discussion because until recently banking and money weren't included in their models. After all, they assumed that these things were transparent to the economy and didn't matter. It makes it obvious why they couldn't predict the Great Financial Crisis and Recession.

In industrial processes, we take a different approach; we base our models on the flows of materials, heat, and gases through the system to produce a gas and material balance. We know that the flows of materials, heat, and gas all have to sum to zero throughout the process. We then model how each machine affects the flows; for example, a fan takes electrical power and moves gas by compressing it. A belt conveyor and an elevator move material from one place to another, mixers combine flows of solids, liquids, gases, etc.

The logical way to model the economy is to balance the flows of money through the economy. Like my industrial processes the money flows through the economy have to sum to zero, they have to balance out across the economy in any time period.

Wynne Godley and Marc Lavoie's work that they called the "Stock-Flow Consistent" model of an economy and allowed them to be two of only seven economists in the world to predict the Great Financial Crisis of 2008 and the causes of it using the model.

They also predicted that the trade deficit would be more dangerous to the economy than the national deficit, likewise for private debt to be more dangerous to the economy than public debt.

And when they put it in stocks they give it to somebody--and somebody does something with it.

You spare the details. I really wonder what the purpose was when you wrote this sentence. It is pretty obvious that it wasn't "I am going to wow everyone with this insightful logic." It is almost as if you were trying to convince yourself that it was correct, but that you couldn't remember why.

It is not correct. When you buy a stock, none of the money goes to the corporation to build new plants, innovate new products, or improve productivity. It goes to the guy who sold the stock. If he made money off the sale, he made money off you, not the corporation.

The stock market has little to no impact on the economy and this minuscule impact is largely negative. I suspect that your belief in the positive impact of the stock market is largely due to your faith in your brand of the conservative/libertarian ideology and not based on any understanding of the matter's reality. This is why you can't provide any explanation of how the stock market impacts the economy.

Likewise with commercial bonds. Government bonds are another matter--that does take it out of the cycle. Note that you have it exactly backward--increasing the deficit removes money from the economy, it doesn't add money to the economy.

Once again, the already rich get their money from the tax cut, which increases the budget deficit. The Treasury is obligated to finance by selling bonds, which increases the national savings, which is paradoxically also called the national debt.

In numbers, ± from the publics and the economy's view,

1)

someone gets a tax cut

+ $10,000

2)

the budget deficit increases and the Treasury sells a bond to the public

- $10,000

3)

the bond is worth, depending on when it is redeemed, plus the interest if held to maturity, minus some small amount if sold early

+ $10,000
For a gain of $10,000 ± the interest in the money supply.

I am arguing that the T-Bill is a form of US money. I have paid for goods and services manufactured for my company with T-Bills in the early days in the PRC, ~1988. The companies that accepted the T-Bills in payment certainly didn't believe in your assertion that the T-Bills destroyed the 10,000 dollars in money and are worthless.

The refusal of mainstream economics to see the effects of income distribution is intentional. The rationale for using neoliberalism rather than more realistic-based economics as our political economics is to reinstate the importance of the already rich to the economy whether it actually exists or not.

You are refusing to see that an invested dollar goes somewhere, it doesn't just get parked.

But you can't say where it goes? Beyond it "goes somewhere?"

Your "somebody somehow does something" argument is less compelling than you obviously believe.

I can help. If the "investment" is in stocks the money goes to the previous owner of the stock. None of it goes to the corporation. The most likely place for the "invested dollar" to go is back into the stock market.

The use of the word "stock" tells us all that we need to know, it is also the opposite of a flow. Look at the sector identities above. GDP, consumer spending, taxes, investment, etc. are all flows, money moving through the economy.

Money in the stock market is parked. It doesn't leak out into the economy "somehow, somewhere."

People are proud of themselves that they remember to point out that the stock market provides a large degree of liquidity than other forms of ownership. Liquidity is the conversion of a stock into a flow, to a more liquid asset, cash.

If it is in corporate bonds it's a loan to the corporation. The amount of the bond is usually spent into the economy, changing hands and generating growth, the same as if it had been spent into the economy for consumption without a bank loan money. But it is only an slightly lower interest plus saving the originating fees of a bank loan.

In both the case of Weimar Germany and Zimbabwe the budget deficit wasn't used to finance government expenditures inside the respective countries, the money created went out of the country, to pay reparations for WWI in the case of Germany and to import food in the case of Zimbabwe to make up for a disastrous farmland redistribution policy. Money that leaves the country creates deflation.

You say that Zimbabwe went to import food, removing it from the economy and causing deflation. Zimbabwe didn't have deflation, they had insane inflation.

I misspoke.

Money leaving an economy increases private debt. Private debt is -S in the sector identities above.

250px-Zimbabwe_%24100_trillion_2009_Obverse.jpg

Once again, the answer is simple. We had to bail them out because what they do is vital for the economy. In our real economy, the government is responsible for the governance of the banks. The banks don't self-regulate, obviously.

The problem is the banking system lacks the ability for a company to go bankrupt and have its shares turned over to creditors but continue to operate. Bail them out, take the shares and trickle them back onto the market at a set rate.

Half credit for this answer. The only creditor for a failed bank is the Fed and the FDIC, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.

There is a procedure for a failed bank. The bank is liquidated and the assets are used to pay the depositors and probably the deposit insurance company for returning their money. The bank's assets, the checking and savings accounts are sold to a larger bank that opens the bank for business the next day.

Which assumes there's a buyer. That wasn't a viable approach in 2008, we bailed them out with basically zero consequences.

I agree.

That taste in your mouth that is turning fatally soar is Kool-aid if you think that the interest rates on debt are set by market forces today. If any bank realizes they are charging a lower rate than other banks the most probable outcome is a rate increase by the bank charging the lower rate, not a decrease by the banks charging higher interest rates.

Just because the market doesn't say what you want it to say doesn't mean it's not at work.

How many times have you shopped for a large commercial loan? We always found a certain sameness to the banks' offerings for loans in the 3 to 50 million dollar range, for both our shorter cash flow for the construction period and for our customers' longer-term financing.

Simple test: Credit cards with high underwriting standards generally have lower interest rates than those with lesser underwriting standards.

Not a surprise. What would be more pertinent would be a comparison between different banks for the same client. I have no idea what that would be.

The government shouldn't be cowed into not running consumer and commercial banks in cases where the private banking system is not providing the needed services to a geographic area or a segment of the population. AOC is correct that the banking industry does not well serve the poor. It is just that there is more profit in writing one $500,000 mortgage in the suburbs than there is in writing ten $50,000 mortgages in the city. And there is no reason to believe that the banks serving the poor would lose money, especially a low overhead operation like a postal or internet bank.

Of course the $500k mortgage makes more profit--1/10th the work. Realistically, it doesn't matter which makes more profit anyway--they'll write any loan that looks good enough.

You understood part of my point. The law was written because the banks were using the deposits in the intercity banks to make loans in the suburbs. It was when FRB was in force when the amount of deposits was used to limit the loans a bank could make. Currently, it is moot, a bank's capitalization is used for this purpose. The Community Reinvestment Act is only in force in right-wing conspiracy theories and banking industry apologetics for destroying the world's economy in 2008.

I am sorry that it has taken me so long to answer you. Life has intruded, and I wanted to try out on your different ways to explain these things.

I know you have medical issues, there's no need to apologize for a slow answer!

Yes, Wikipedia makes an effort to report facts, which have been established repeatedly on these pages that facts have a liberal bent, unlike conservatives who need lies and conspiracy theories to justify their ideology.

But you can still lie by presenting only one side of the facts, omitting context.

Which doesn't say what you think it says. This does not say that they can loan more than they have, but rather that they are limited to loaning less than they have.

No, it says that the bank has to restrict its total amount of loans to some small percentage of their deposits. If the percentage is, say, 5%, the bank is limited to total loans of twenty times the amount of deposits in hand. However, I believe another reserve has to be kept to cover day to day demand accounts, which are the majority of the bank's money.

You have this utterly, totally backwards. If the percentage is 5% the bank is allowed to loan out 95% of the money it has on deposit + it's capital.

100% reserve banking would mean that the banks are restricted to the total amount of loans they have in deposits. But reserve banking doesn't mean that they loan out the deposits, no matter the reserve percentage.

100% reserve would mean they couldn't loan out deposits--but that never happens in the real world. There wouldn't be banks under such a system.

What you are missing is the vast majority of dollars loaned out get deposited back in some bank--probably not the same one, but it will average out. Picture a simple world with only one bank, and obviously, those deposits come right back into the bank. The bank now has more money on deposit with which to make more loans, minus the reserve percentage. The money is loaned out, comes back, repeat.

I certainly didn't miss this. In fact, I listed in post #106 to Harry as a reason that we know that banks don't loan out deposits; if they deposited the loan amount into the borrowers account in the same bank, it means that the amount of the loan is in the bank's books twice as a deposit.

If banks didn't loan out deposits they wouldn't be able to pay interest. And you're wrong--in this scenario the money would be in the banks' books three times--the initial deposit, the loan and the second deposit.

Besides, deposits are liabilities to the bank. Loans are assets of the bank. Somewhere in your explanation of deposits becoming loans becoming deposits to allow more loans, you will cross the line of turning liabilities into assets repeatedly. I am not sure, but I suspect that this might run foul of the accounting rules.

The problem here is you are only looking at half the picture. Double entry bookkeeping 101: Everything is both a plus and a minus, just in different places.

A bank starts out, they are capitalized to $10,000. Assets: $10k, debts: $0. Net worth: $10k.

Arthur comes along and deposits $1k. This $1k is $1k of cash, an asset, and $1k owed, a debt. Assets: $11k, debts: $1k, Net Worth: $10k.

Bob comes along and borrows $2k. The bank now has $2k less cash, but a loan worth $2k. Assets: $11k ($9k cash + $2k loan), debts, $1k. Net worth $10k.

Bob pays the $2k to Charlie, who then deposits it in his account: Assets $13k, debts $3k, net worth $10k.

Nothing dirty here. (Note that double entry bookkeeping is a very different issue that keeping two sets of books! The latter is very dirty.)

Let's take a simple society with one bank, a million dollars (in the bank), and a 10% reserve requirement. If the bank loans as much as it possibly can, you will have ten million in loans. What you're missing is the bank's books show 11 million in deposits and 10 million in loans; they have not loaned more than they had! They loaned more than they started with, but that's because the loans were deposited back in the bank. (Money can't be any place other than in the bank or as currency--and the currency supply is a small fraction of the total money supply.)

You are the one saying that the bank loans out its deposits. You shouldn't be arguing with yourself. The bank only had a million dollars in deposits to loan out. After that, they were loaning money created somehow and not by double accounting deposits. I sent you to Wikipedia to see if they told you where the 9 million dollars came from to total the 10 million in loans. Did they?

They were loaning money "created" by money moving around. It's really seeing the same dollar pass through the bank more than once.

The current limitation is that a bank can only loan out a total of 8 times its capitalization. This doesn't mean that the bank loans out its capitalization. That would be as nuts as repeatedly insisting that the bank loans out its deposits, which are the bank's liabilities.

Changing the way the safety limit is measured doesn't change the basic nature of banks. Those deposits are both assets and liabilties.

A much better way is to directly control the amount of money in the economy by using a variable tax rate controlled by the Fed. If we have inflation, increase the taxes withheld by the payroll tax, such as putting the money from it into the document shredder. If you have deflation in a recession, lower the payroll tax and the withholding for it and have the Fed create money to replace the lost taxes in the Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid trust fund.

But here you go wrong. The multiplication effect exists no matter what--you must create/destroy vast sums to produce the same effect as you get with a small change in interest rates. You can also change things faster with interest rates than you can with the printer and the shredder--and much of the problem the Fed has holding things on an even keel is the lag of even the interest rate approach. Your approach would lag even more than this cause the economy to wiggle around even more.
I don't know what you mean by the economy having to "wiggle around."

Go above and below the desired economic level. The problem is it takes time for the economy to react to changes--it's sort of like the drunk driving simulator cars that have a response lag built in, causing the driver to oversteer.

Yes, we sell T-Bills to raise the money to give to the rich in tax cuts.

I bet that the T-Bill owner believes that he still has the $10,000 just in the form of a bond. Do you want to tell him that his money has been destroyed when he bought the bond, or should I? You believe it, so you should be the one to tell him. If only I could find another way to convince you, you might not have to do it.

He will still get his $10k back. While it's a shell game internally that doesn't matter to the buyer.

So what does this tell us? It tells that the private savings minus the business investment equals the government budget deficit plus the net exports, that trade deficits reduce private savings and that trade surpluses add to private savings, and likewise, that budget deficits add to private savings and budget surpluses reduce private savings.

These are flows of money to the different sectors of the economy. This is apparently radical economics, not accepted by mainstream economics who prefer their seemingly never-ending quest for a valid mathematical model of the economy. Which has always been hamstrung by the incorrect assumptions of mainstream economics.

You're sounding like a conspiracy theorist here, but you're not presenting anything new.

And when they put it in stocks they give it to somebody--and somebody does something with it.

You spare the details. I really wonder what the purpose was when you wrote this sentence. It is pretty obvious that it wasn't "I am going to wow everyone with this insightful logic." It is almost as if you were trying to convince yourself that it was correct, but that you couldn't remember why.

It is not correct. When you buy a stock, none of the money goes to the corporation to build new plants, innovate new products, or improve productivity. It goes to the guy who sold the stock. If he made money off the sale, he made money off you, not the corporation.

The stock market has little to no impact on the economy and this minuscule impact is largely negative. I suspect that your belief in the positive impact of the stock market is largely due to your faith in your brand of the conservative/libertarian ideology and not based on any understanding of the matter's reality. This is why you can't provide any explanation of how the stock market impacts the economy.

There are two aspects to the stock market:

The primary market for new shares--this is very important for the economic health of society.

Your objections apply only to the secondary market, trading existing shares. The company sees none of that, but without it there would be no primary market.

Likewise with commercial bonds. Government bonds are another matter--that does take it out of the cycle. Note that you have it exactly backward--increasing the deficit removes money from the economy, it doesn't add money to the economy.

Once again, the already rich get their money from the tax cut, which increases the budget deficit. The Treasury is obligated to finance by selling bonds, which increases the national savings, which is paradoxically also called the national debt.

We're back to double entry bookkeeping--it's both an asset and a liability. You keep focusing on only half the picture!

And you keep bringing up His Flatulence's tax cuts. Yes, they were bad for the country but they're irrelevant to what we are talking about.

I am arguing that the T-Bill is a form of US money. I have paid for goods and services manufactured for my company with T-Bills in the early days in the PRC, ~1988. The companies that accepted the T-Bills in payment certainly didn't believe in your assertion that the T-Bills destroyed the 10,000 dollars in money and are worthless.

They were redeemed for a new $10k.

The refusal of mainstream economics to see the effects of income distribution is intentional. The rationale for using neoliberalism rather than more realistic-based economics as our political economics is to reinstate the importance of the already rich to the economy whether it actually exists or not.

You are refusing to see that an invested dollar goes somewhere, it doesn't just get parked.

But you can't say where it goes? Beyond it "goes somewhere?"

Because there are so many places it could have gone, try to enumerate them would be an exercise in futility.

Half credit for this answer. The only creditor for a failed bank is the Fed and the FDIC, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.

There is a procedure for a failed bank. The bank is liquidated and the assets are used to pay the depositors and probably the deposit insurance company for returning their money. The bank's assets, the checking and savings accounts are sold to a larger bank that opens the bank for business the next day.

Which assumes there's a buyer. That wasn't a viable approach in 2008, we bailed them out with basically zero consequences.

I agree.

Which is why there were no consequences from the bailouts. I'm saying the ownership should have been seized and the stock slowly put back on the market so there would be consequences and shareholders would want to ensure it didn't happen next time.

That taste in your mouth that is turning fatally soar is Kool-aid if you think that the interest rates on debt are set by market forces today. If any bank realizes they are charging a lower rate than other banks the most probable outcome is a rate increase by the bank charging the lower rate, not a decrease by the banks charging higher interest rates.

Just because the market doesn't say what you want it to say doesn't mean it's not at work.

How many times have you shopped for a large commercial loan? We always found a certain sameness to the banks' offerings for loans in the 3 to 50 million dollar range, for both our shorter cash flow for the construction period and for our customers' longer-term financing.

Of course there is a substantial sameness. At that level things are carefully examined, professionals are going to come to basically the same answer. It's like presenting the blueprints for a bridge to ten engineers and asking "what concrete do I need here?" and getting basically the same answer.

The government shouldn't be cowed into not running consumer and commercial banks in cases where the private banking system is not providing the needed services to a geographic area or a segment of the population. AOC is correct that the banking industry does not well serve the poor. It is just that there is more profit in writing one $500,000 mortgage in the suburbs than there is in writing ten $50,000 mortgages in the city. And there is no reason to believe that the banks serving the poor would lose money, especially a low overhead operation like a postal or internet bank.

Of course the $500k mortgage makes more profit--1/10th the work. Realistically, it doesn't matter which makes more profit anyway--they'll write any loan that looks good enough.

You understood part of my point. The law was written because the banks were using the deposits in the intercity banks to make loans in the suburbs. It was when FRB was in force when the amount of deposits was used to limit the loans a bank could make. Currently, it is moot, a bank's capitalization is used for this purpose. The Community Reinvestment Act is only in force in right-wing conspiracy theories and banking industry apologetics for destroying the world's economy in 2008.

No, the left doesn't want to understand that anti-discrimination efforts are prone to negative outcomes.

You're assuming they have suitable applicants in the city to loan to. Once again I will point out what I saw with the "redlining" here: The only "discrimination" they could find was banks were reluctant to write low-down loans in certain zip codes. Exactly the same zip codes that had basically zero appreciation. (They're not good neighborhoods.)

Option A: Discrimination. But why are the banks only discriminating against low-down mortgages? And only in certain zip codes at that? This "explanation" introduces two unanswered questions.

Option B: The bankers are looking at what would happen a few years down the road if they have to foreclose. The loans they don't want to write are exactly the ones that are most likely to be underwater.

Occam certainly would choose B.

It's what I said above--the selective use of facts can be a lie. By simply omitting the appreciation data you make this look evil when it's really just being prudent.

I know you have medical issues, there's no need to apologize for a slow answer!

But you can still lie by presenting only one side of the facts, omitting context.

This is just one of the ways that conservatives lie to themselves. There are many others. Why do you think that highlighting just one of the ways they lie is a response to this statement of fact?

Why do you think that there are sides to facts? Do you mean that there are facts and Trumpism's alternative facts, that are lies?

Or do you mean that there are many different ways of interpreting mutually accepted facts?

For example, the widely accepted fact that banks loaning out money under FRB reserve requirements has a multiplying effect on the amount of deposits a bank has, which I say implies that the bank can create more money than the amount of deposits it has and you say that is only an illusion, that it is actually destroying the money?

You have this utterly, totally backwards. If the percentage is 5% the bank is allowed to loan out 95% of the money it has on deposit + it's capital.

This seems to be the main point of disagreement that you have with me ... and pretty much the rest of the world for that matter. The question of whether the banks create money (or credit) when they loan out money or do they just loan the deposits they have in hand and this has the illusion of creating money out of "thin air" because the loans are deposited in the bank making the loan, allowing the bank to make further loans, in a one bank society, or in the real world, the loan is deposited in another bank allowing that bank to make more loans, that it is this movement of money that gives the illusion of the banks as a whole creating more money than they have on deposit, because in fact they are actually loaning out less than they have in deposits? Or as you said one time, FRB destroys money!

Is this is this a fair statement of the way that you see this?

Do you agree that the banking system no longer uses this system of FRB reserve requirements to limit the amount of loans that a bank can make? That the US now uses a system of the ratio of the banks capitalization, the Capital Adequacy Ratios (CARs), to limit the amount of loans a bank can make?

Does this mean that the banks loan out their own money now?

Perhaps your confusion in this matter results from the fact that fractional reserve banking exists and has always existed, that fractional reserve banking, lower case letters, is the nature of banking and is what the central banks are trying to limit.

Perhaps you didn't read the Wikipedia goldsmith's explanation of the historical origins of fractional reserve banking,

Wikipedia Fractional Reserve Banking said:
In the past, savers looking to keep their coins and valuables in safekeeping depositories deposited gold and silver at goldsmiths, receiving in exchange a note for their deposit (see Bank of Amsterdam). These notes gained acceptance as a medium of exchange for commercial transactions and thus became an early form of circulating paper money.[8] As the notes were used directly in trade, the goldsmiths observed that people would not usually redeem all their notes at the same time, and they saw the opportunity to invest their coin reserves in interest-bearing loans and bills. This generated income for the goldsmiths but left them with more notes on issue than reserves with which to pay them. A process was started that altered the role of the goldsmiths from passive guardians of bullion, charging fees for safe storage, to interest-paying and interest-earning banks. Thus fractional-reserve banking was born.

Would it be belaboring the point to say that the goldsmiths created money in excess of their deposits, out of thin air, without your bookkeeping scheme of counting their liabilities as assets by repeatedly depositing them in their proto-bank? And how do we know this for certain? Because the goldsmith only accepted gold and coins as deposits. They didn't accept their own receipts of gold in already in their own vault as being the same as a deposit of gold, that would be crazy, right?

Many of your fellow libertarians advocate completely free unregulated banking, free banking. Under free banking the banks actually print money.

Wikipedia Free Banking said:
Free banking is a monetary arrangement where banks are free to issue their own paper currency (banknotes) while also subject to no special regulations beyond those applicable to most enterprises.

In a free banking system, market forces control the supply of total quantity of banknotes and deposits that can be supported by any given stock of cash reserves, where such reserves consist either of a scarce commodity (such as gold) or of an artificially limited stock of fiat money issued by a central bank.

In the strictest versions of free banking, however, there either is no role at all for a central bank, or the supply of central bank money is supposed to be permanently "frozen." There is, therefore, no agency capable of serving as a "lender of last resort" in the usually understood sense of the term. Nor is there any government insurance of banknotes or bank deposit accounts.[1]

Supporters include Fred Foldvary,[2] David D. Friedman,[3] Friedrich Hayek,[4] George Selgin,[5] Lawrence H. White,[6] Steven Horwitz,[7] and Richard Timberlake.[8]

Foldvary is a geolibertarian, Friedman is the son of Milton Friedman, who along with Hayek was a founder of your neoliberalism, Selgin is with the libertarian Cato Institute, etc. You can look up the rest of them.

Beyond proving once again that Libertarianism is a never exhausted source of really bad economic ideas, they believe the obvious that you are denying, that fractional banking creates more money than they have deposits, by printing currency. All without your deposits are both a liability and an asset at the same time bookkeeping. Free banking in the judgment of these libertarians creates money by printing currency just as the goldsmith's receipts of deposits became currency.

Bankers make profits by making loans. It is natural for them to want to make as many loans as possible, especially in your "greed is good," the only obligation a corporate executive has is to make profits for the shareholders' era. But the more loans that they make the harder it is for them to make sure that they can cover the depositors' withdrawals. Their liquidity is important because most of the deposits in the bank are demand deposits, that is, checking accounts.

And the reserve requirements of the central banks are an attempt to do that, and when I say that FRB is no longer used to limit the amount of loans that a single bank can make I am not denying the nature of banking I am saying that the reserve requirement is no longer used to try to limit the amount of loans a bank can make.

The word "reserve" is overused in any discussion about modern banking. There is the reserve requirement of the system, there is the actual money created by the Fed called the reserve, and there is the bank's reserve account in the central bank, the Fed, the account they use to loan and where the money is put that is paid back by the borrowers.

In your explanation where does the bank put the money that the borrowers payback? Does it go into an account where it is also considered to be a liability and an asset of the bank that can be loaned out?

In the real world, loans go out and repayments go back into the bank's reserve account in the Federal Reserve Bank for larger banks (or in a larger member bank for smaller banks.) It is the Fed's money.

As I said, this seems to be the core of our disagreement. I will work on the rest of your response to me while you look at these points.

============== § ==============

Continued below​

This is just one of the ways that conservatives lie to themselves. There are many others. Why do you think that highlighting just one of the ways they lie is a response to this statement of fact?

Both sides are quite guilty of this one.

For example, the widely accepted fact that banks loaning out money under FRB reserve requirements has a multiplying effect on the amount of deposits a bank has, which I say implies that the bank can create more money than the amount of deposits it has and you say that is only an illusion, that it is actually destroying the money?

I don't even see how you can think they can loan more than they have.

This seems to be the main point of disagreement that you have with me ... and pretty much the rest of the world for that matter. The question of whether the banks create money (or credit) when they loan out money or do they just loan the deposits they have in hand and this has the illusion of creating money out of "thin air" because the loans are deposited in the bank making the loan, allowing the bank to make further loans, in a one bank society, or in the real world, the loan is deposited in another bank allowing that bank to make more loans, that it is this movement of money that gives the illusion of the banks as a whole creating more money than they have on deposit, because in fact they are actually loaning out less than they have in deposits? Or as you said one time, FRB destroys money!

Yes, it is the main point of disagreement.

Do you agree that the banking system no longer uses this system of FRB reserve requirements to limit the amount of loans that a bank can make? That the US now uses a system of the ratio of the banks capitalization, the Capital Adequacy Ratios (CARs), to limit the amount of loans a bank can make?

The change in how reserves are calculated is completely irrelevant to the basic concept.

Perhaps your confusion in this matter results from the fact that fractional reserve banking exists and has always existed, that fractional reserve banking, lower case letters, is the nature of banking and is what the central banks are trying to limit.

The higher the ratio of total loans to capital the more unstable the system is. We had a good illustration of this in 1929. Then we had a partial repeat in 2008--the derivatives market caused the same sort of instability. It is proper for the central banks to limit this instability as it is prone to blowing up the economy when subjected to a sufficient shock.

Would it be belaboring the point to say that the goldsmiths created money in excess of their deposits, out of thin air, without your bookkeeping scheme of counting their liabilities as assets by repeatedly depositing them in their proto-bank? And how do we know this for certain? Because the goldsmith only accepted gold and coins as deposits. They didn't accept their own receipts of gold in already in their own vault as being the same as a deposit of gold, that would be crazy, right?

Which would be a 50% reserve requirement.

Many of your fellow libertarians advocate completely free unregulated banking, free banking. Under free banking the banks actually print money.

1) I don't advocate unregulated banking. Libertarian economics do not work when there are players with an appreciable share of the market.

2) You still persist in thinking banks can loan money they don't have, but have yet to provide any evidence of this.

I am cleaning out my cache of posts which for one reason or another I didn't post.

I would have sworn on a stack of Darwin's
Origins of the Species that I had posted this tome. But when I checked, I hadn't.

Both sides are quite guilty of this one.

I don't know why you are so touchy about this. The conservatives like the religious by and large don't have any facts to back up their beliefs. They live in the most dynamic and constantly changing society that has ever existed and yet their entire political belief system is based on not only stopping change to our social structure but increasingly on rolling the changes already made back. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is not you.

Conservatives' politics is based on this fundamental lie that we can stop or rollback these changes without negatively impacting the society and economy that has given us so much. The belief system based on this fundamental lie and the lies and conspiracy theories developed to support it are why for so much of the 20th-century conservatives were justifiably ignored and why they were picked to provide the votes required to support the lies of trickle-down economics. That we all benefit when we give more of the rewards from the economy to the already rich.

But while you seem to be in denial about trickle-down economics you aren't a conservative about changes to the social structure of the country. If I am not mistaken you are moderate about most things, if not a radical moderate like me in the sense of willing to try very different solutions to our problems if we adopt them slowly to allow time for more of us and our institutions to adapt to the changes.

As for the question of economics, fifteen years ago I shared them with you, I know from personal experience how hard it is to hear these things that I came to realize are true.

I don't even see how you can think they can loan more than they have.

This seems to be the main point of disagreement that you have with me ... and pretty much the rest of the world for that matter. The question of whether the banks create money (or credit) when they loan out money or do they just loan the deposits they have in hand and this has the illusion of creating money out of "thin air" because the loans are deposited in the bank making the loan, allowing the bank to make further loans, in a one bank society, or in the real world, the loan is deposited in another bank allowing that bank to make more loans, that it is this movement of money that gives the illusion of the banks as a whole creating more money than they have on deposit because, in fact, they are actually loaning out less than they have in deposits? Or as you said one time, FRB destroys money!

Yes, it is the main point of disagreement.

Do you agree that the banking system no longer uses this system of FRB reserve requirements to limit the amount of loans that a bank can make? That the US now uses a system of the ratio of the banks' capitalization, the Capital Adequacy Ratios (CARs), to limit the amount of loans a bank can make?

The change in how reserves are calculated is completely irrelevant to the basic concept.

It is not a question of reserves anymore, limiting the total amount of loans that any one bank can have on its book as assets.

The Fed has gone to a different method of limiting the loans. Where before they limited the amount by requiring that a percentage of each loan kept as an asset was put in a reserve account,

Two things destroyed this as the method of limiting the loans. Congress in a fit of deregulation delusion lifted the reserve requirement for commercial demand accounts, the majority of the money in most banks subject to the reserve requirement, and your neoliberalism was so successful in its primary goal of suppressing wages to increase profits that commercial deposits became so large that the reserve requirement wasn't a factor anyway. The reserve requirement was abandoned because it no longer was a limit to the bank.

I was being a bit cheeky there. As you believe the reserve requirement proves to you that banks loan out their deposits I wondered if since the reserve requirement has now disappeared replaced by the CAR capitalization limits whether it now proves to you that banks now loan out their capitalization.

Banks loan money created for the purpose by the Fed. They don't loan out their deposits or their capitalization. This is what makes a bank a bank and why being a bank making loans is different than your neighborhood loan-shark making loans. Only a chartered bank can go to the Fed's "window" to get money made out of thin air to loan.

Before your neoliberalism became our political economics, there was a solid line separating investment banking and commercial banking. Both could make loans but an investment bank was restricted to loaning out their deposits, 100% reserve banking. IBs had no right to call on the Fed to provide money to loan.

In a fit, once again, of deregulation delusion by the neoliberals including all of the Republicans and a substantial number of Democrats, erased the line between investment banking and commercial banking. It took less than a decade for the banks to crash the economy by manufacturing ill-advised financial instruments based on trances of home mortgages derivatives.

These derivatives were dependent on the optimistic ideas that the valuation of homes never go down and that combining high-risk mortgages with low-risk ones would result in a lower overall risk. What happened in both cases was exactly the opposite. The money injected into the housing market by the unregulated and ill-advised derivatives created a housing bubble that had to burst. When it did the result was housing valuations going down tearing down low-risk mortgages as well as the higher-risk ones. It turned out that combining high-risk mortgages with low-risk mortgages resulted in a much higher overall risk derivative.

The higher the ratio of total loans to capital the more unstable the system is. We had a good illustration of this in 1929. Then we had a partial repeat in 2008--the derivatives market caused the same sort of instability. It is proper for the central banks to limit this instability as it is prone to blowing up the economy when subjected to a sufficient shock.

This is all true but it says nothing about whether banks loan out their deposits. If banks loaned out their deposits there would be a limit to the loans without a limit like CAR.

The financial sector is inherently unstable and it must be regulated by the federal government. That was proven in 1929. And it was corrected in various New Deal legislation.

Loren Pechtel;8569that they could write said:

Which would be a 50% reserve requirement.

Please, explain this. I don't see how this limited the loans that the goldsmiths could make. Once their receipts were accepted as money they could write as many as they wanted to loan to people.

1) I don't advocate unregulated banking. Libertarian economics do not work when there are players with an appreciable share of the market.

The problem with unregulated banking is that there is nothing to prevent banks from printing as much money as want to because of fractional reserve banking. Including money that they loan to themselves or to customers to play the stock market or to boost the pay off for the derivatives that they sell to the already rich seeking better returns.

2) You still persist in thinking banks can loan money they don't have, but have yet to provide any evidence of this.

I have explained how banks can and do loan money that they don't have in deposits or in capitalization. The bank loans money created for the purpose by the Fed. All of the money they loan is either created for that loan or was created for previous loans that were paid back. Which reminds me, in your liabilities turned into assets, deposits turned into loans that destroys money, where does the bank put the payments they receive from the borrowers?

I can tell you where banks put the repayments in the real world, into their reserve accounts, which is the same account that they get the money to loan, which is all the Fed's money.

But you believe that they only loan deposits. What do they do with the repayments? Is this where they destroy the money? Do they run the money from the repayments through the paper shredder?

I offered an example from your source of the nature of banking to loan more money than they have through fractional reserve banking. You responded that the example of the goldsmith's proto-banks is 50% reserve banking without any further explanation of why this is so or how exactly if it was so how it would limit the amount the goldsmiths could loan. Who do you believe restricts the goldsmiths to only loaning out 50% of the value of gold in their storehouse?

I am cleaning out my cache of posts which for one reason or another I didn't post.

I would have sworn on a stack of Darwin's
Origins of the Species that I had posted this tome. But when I checked, I hadn't.

I don't know why you are so touchy about this. The conservatives like the religious by and large don't have any facts to back up their beliefs.

I'm saying both sides are very guilty of this, it's unreasonable to single out the conservatives about it.

They live in the most dynamic and constantly changing society that has ever existed and yet their entire political belief system is based on not only stopping change to our social structure but increasingly on rolling the changes already made back. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is not you.

You're right--most of the changes are good.

But while you seem to be in denial about trickle-down economics you aren't a conservative about changes to the social structure of the country. If I am not mistaken you are moderate about most things, if not a radical moderate like me in the sense of willing to try very different solutions to our problems if we adopt them slowly to allow time for more of us and our institutions to adapt to the changes.

You're mixing things up here. Republican trickle-down economics do not work--lowering the tax rate does not boost the economy anywhere near enough to bring the tax take up to where it was.

However, there is another factor at work: how much money goes to capital spending vs consumer spending. In the short run the worker benefits from policies that shift money to the consumer. However, in the long run it's the other way around--the economy grows due to money going to capital.

It is not a question of reserves anymore, limiting the total amount of loans that any one bank can have on its book as assets.

The Fed has gone to a different method of limiting the loans. Where before they limited the amount by requiring that a percentage of each loan kept as an asset was put in a reserve account,

Two things destroyed this as the method of limiting the loans. Congress in a fit of deregulation delusion lifted the reserve requirement for commercial demand accounts, the majority of the money in most banks subject to the reserve requirement, and your neoliberalism was so successful in its primary goal of suppressing wages to increase profits that commercial deposits became so large that the reserve requirement wasn't a factor anyway. The reserve requirement was abandoned because it no longer was a limit to the bank.

I was being a bit cheeky there. As you believe the reserve requirement proves to you that banks loan out their deposits I wondered if since the reserve requirement has now disappeared replaced by the CAR capitalization limits whether it now proves to you that banks now loan out their capitalization.

Banks loan money created for the purpose by the Fed. They don't loan out their deposits or their capitalization. This is what makes a bank a bank and why being a bank making loans is different than your neighborhood loan-shark making loans. Only a chartered bank can go to the Fed's "window" to get money made out of thin air to loan.

You still haven't provided any support for your assertion they can loan without regard for what they actually have.

Before your neoliberalism became our political economics, there was a solid line separating investment banking and commercial banking. Both could make loans but an investment bank was restricted to loaning out their deposits, 100% reserve banking. IBs had no right to call on the Fed to provide money to loan.

Under 100% reserve you couldn't loan out deposits, only your capital.

In a fit, once again, of deregulation delusion by the neoliberals including all of the Republicans and a substantial number of Democrats, erased the line between investment banking and commercial banking. It took less than a decade for the banks to crash the economy by manufacturing ill-advised financial instruments based on trances of home mortgages derivatives.

Disagree--those financial instruments amplified the problem, they didn't cause it.

Please, explain this. I don't see how this limited the loans that the goldsmiths could make. Once their receipts were accepted as money they could write as many as they wanted to loan to people.

You said they couldn't loan on receipts.

The problem with unregulated banking is that there is nothing to prevent banks from printing as much money as want to because of fractional reserve banking. Including money that they loan to themselves or to customers to play the stock market or to boost the pay off for the derivatives that they sell to the already rich seeking better returns.

I just said I don't support unregulated banking, why are you arguing against it?

I have explained how banks can and do loan money that they don't have in deposits or in capitalization. The bank loans money created for the purpose by the Fed. All of the money they loan is either created for that loan or was created for previous loans that were paid back. Which reminds me, in your liabilities turned into assets, deposits turned into loans that destroys money, where does the bank put the payments they receive from the borrowers?

I can tell you where banks put the repayments in the real world, into their reserve accounts, which is the same account that they get the money to loan, which is all the Fed's money.

The Fed money is in effect a deposit.

But you believe that they only loan deposits. What do they do with the repayments? Is this where they destroy the money? Do they run the money from the repayments through the paper shredder?

They use it against bad loans, to run the bank and then profit.

Back
Top Bottom