• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Aphantasia

in order to actually remember your dreams you NEED to engage in mental visualization because otherwise you would not be able to remember any visual content they had and thus would not be able to determine whether or not your dreams are more vivid than regular visualization (or lack thereof).

Here is a test for you:

1) look around you
2) close your eyes
3) is the visual imagery you experience of the world around you more or less vivid after you close your eyes?
4) how do you know that the imagery of the world around you is more or less vivid when you close your eyes?
Because 1) unlike you, I understand my ability to visualize; ..... That, by the way, is basic analytical thinking; which you would have been able to do yourself if you were actually as good or better at it than myself, as you seem to believe you are.
Why don't you use your alleged analytical thinking skills to reply to the questions in context? I'll make it easier for you with another (better) example.

Look around a bright room.
Look around the same room when it is dark.

Do you notice less colors and details in the dark room?
Do you know that the details and colors are there when it is light, without visualizing the room?

I do.... I also know that plants that appear grey and washed out during the night are green during the day, without visualizing them as green. You don't need to visualize in order to know something... conceptualization works fine.

for fun...
How would you conceptualize visualization?
How would you visualize conceptualization?

I know because of my experiences of lucid dreaming- I was consciously aware I was dreaming, and interacted with an awesome world. When I come out of the dream, I am aware of the visualization of the dream world dissolving or disappearing as rapidly as the image of the room I am in disappears when I close my eyes.
Except lucid dreaming is something to take a very large chunk of salt on one's spoon; there is no way to verify it whatsoever.
Well, except for the MRI studies of lucid dreamers. http://news.discovery.com/tech/brain-scan-lucid-dream-111102.htm

We have no way of determining that you actually experienced a lucid dream at all, or whether in the moments after you woke your brain produced a feedback loop that gave you the strong *impression* that you had a lucid dream.
Just because lucid dreaming has been confirmed in others, and I've experienced interaction with dream worlds, doesn't mean that I was lucid dreaming... right. In fact, your experience of this conversation could simply be a creation of your brain.....

Dream imagery.
It is supposed to be "reduced" compared to that.
From the quote, I had the impression that it was greatly reduced in those who have aphantasia:

"Our participants mostly have some first-hand knowledge of imagery through their dreams: our study revealed an interesting dissociation between voluntary imagery, which is absent or much reduced in these individuals, and involuntary imagery, for example in dreams, which is usually preserved."

in order to actually remember your dreams you NEED to engage in mental visualization because otherwise you would not be able to remember any visual content they had and thus would not be able to determine whether or not your dreams are more vivid than regular visualization (or lack thereof).

Here is a test for you:

1) look around you
2) close your eyes
3) is the visual imagery you experience of the world around you more or less vivid after you close your eyes?
4) how do you know that the imagery of the world around you is more or less vivid when you close your eyes?
Because 1) unlike you, I understand my ability to visualize; ..... That, by the way, is basic analytical thinking; which you would have been able to do yourself if you were actually as good or better at it than myself, as you seem to believe you are.
Why don't you use your alleged analytical thinking skills to reply to the questions in context? I'll make it easier for you with another (better) example.

FEWER.
Do you know that the details and colors are there when it is light, without visualizing the room?

I do.... I also know that plants that appear grey and washed out during the night are green during the day, without visualizing them as green. You don't need to visualize in order to know something... conceptualization works fine.

for fun...

I know because of my experiences of lucid dreaming- I was consciously aware I was dreaming, and interacted with an awesome world. When I come out of the dream, I am aware of the visualization of the dream world dissolving or disappearing as rapidly as the image of the room I am in disappears when I close my eyes.
Except lucid dreaming is something to take a very large chunk of salt on one's spoon; there is no way to verify it whatsoever.
Well, except for the MRI studies of lucid dreamers. http://news.discovery.com/tech/brain-scan-lucid-dream-111102.htm

We have no way of determining that you actually experienced a lucid dream at all, or whether in the moments after you woke your brain produced a feedback loop that gave you the strong *impression* that you had a lucid dream.
Just because lucid dreaming has been confirmed in others, and I've experienced interaction with dream worlds, doesn't mean that I was lucid dreaming... right. In fact, your experience of this conversation could simply be a creation of your brain.....

It is supposed to be "reduced" compared to that.
From the quote, I had the impression that it was greatly reduced in those who have aphantasia:

"Our participants mostly have some first-hand knowledge of imagery through their dreams: our study revealed an interesting dissociation between voluntary imagery, which is absent or much reduced in these individuals, and involuntary imagery, for example in dreams, which is usually preserved."
We are going in circles here.

Dream images are not related to mental images.

People with aphantasia cannot create voluntary mental images (while awake), but see involuntary mental images when they dream. In other words, dream images are something everyone sees. According to the article (which I have doubts about), about 1 in 50 people lack the ability to visualize stuff voluntarily, although they generally still visualize (see) stuff in dreams.

So if you see involuntary mental images in dreams, but can not make the same type of images voluntarily, you have aphantasia. At least that's what I get from the articles, which may be sensationalized, taken out of context from what Adam Zeman said, or plain old fashioned fabrications to fuck with people. I actually doubt that the majority of people can visualize stuff in a similar manner to dream level visualizations.
How could you (or anyone with aphantasia) possibly know that you visualise anything in your dreams if you are unable visualise the same thing while awake?

Me, I dream a little and that's essentially "visual" dreams. I know I do because I remember the images in my dream. I can remember them because I can visualise them, or something like them, voluntarily.

Can you explain?
EB

Is this a bullshit made up disorder?

Can you visualize images at will, or picture things in your mind?

What is your level of visualization?

I can picture a boulder and rock I left on a path today, the layout and various stuff around the area. It's just not visual at all, it's not an image, it's like an afterthought or memory of the spatial layout of the boulders. I can remember the one tool, the shovel, the pick, a root, but once again, none of these things are images, they are memories of shapes, and I remember the color yellow on the one tool for whatever reason, but it isn't visual.

I can think of people that I know, and remember how they look, but it is not visual. I don't actually visualize anything (although I do have vivid dreams every once in a great while).

I'm thinking this is a bullshit story about a fake ability that people allegedly have, just to fuck with people who fall for the idea of being able to visualize stuff in their mind.

These douchebags who made up being able to "visualize" stuff (hallucinate at will) are just trying to get some attention, and they'll get money from a bunch of rubes who think they have a disorder because they can't visualize stuff (which is completely normal- people can't visualize stuff in their mind).

Anyway.. Being able to visualize would be a cool ability (maybe eventually they'll have tech for it). It would be cool to be able to picture stuff at will, and probably quite useful.
Look at this word a little while: procrastination.

Now, close your eyes as you are looking at it. You should have a more or less faint mental image of the vision you had just before closing your eyes and in particular of the word "procrastination", or part of it, including the underlining of it and the colour. Yes? No?
EB

Aphantasia could explain why Dennett denied mental images were images at all.
EB

You are unable to visualise a dream you had when you are awake?

for fun...
1. It's like a faint echo of looking at something (Hume?).

2. A mental image

I can visualise Santa Claus because I did look at actual pictures of Santa Claus. Same for the concept of triangle.

So you are unable to form a mental image of Santa Claus, right?

Some things are harder to visualise. For example, the concept of abstraction (I visualise a townscape but somehow I'm not "looking" at it!). The concept of nothingness (fog). So, maybe some (or all?) visualisations behave like symbols rather than images of anything.
EB

We are going in circles here.

I can't visualize what you mean. Could you provide a diagram?

You are unable to visualise a dream you had when you are awake?
Nah. I cannot strongly visualize. I doubt I have aphantasia (unless it's of the "reduced ability to visualize" variety), I just have a tendency to think symbolically and conceptually. I can recall specific images, most have a bit of compression loss (some a lot of compression loss!). I do visualize certain things, I just can't escape my primary focus upon external reality- my visualizations are flashes, or low detail, for the most part (unlike dreams which are sustained and high detail).

My brother says that he does visualize complex images (when designing landscapes or layouts), but in his experience his visualizations of how things will turn out have been incorrect, so he does the stuff on paper. My theory is that his mind mixed how he wanted the landscape to look with how he knew the plants look (I should tell him this, and see what he says).

for fun...
1. It's like a faint echo of looking at something (Hume?).
Hmm.

Some things are harder to visualise. For example, the concept of abstraction (I visualise a townscape but somehow I'm not "looking" at it!). The concept of nothingness (fog). So, maybe some (or all?) visualisations behave like symbols rather than images of anything.
EB
It's the wave/particle divide....

Why don't you use your alleged analytical thinking skills to reply to the questions in context?

I already *did*. Did you not understand my response?

I'll make it easier for you with another (better) example.

Which works fine with simple questions where you can apply basic general knowledge (like how colors work) to come up with an answer... but this does not allow you to determine that you experience vivid dreams, nor does it allow you to determine a great many things that require active visualization skills.

for fun...

If you'd paid attention, you'd have already seen me do so in post #4.

As an abstract shape(s) that is continuously expanding and rearranging itself into different shapes.

Except that doesn't show that they're lucid dreaming, it just shows that they're experiencing a certain kind of brain activity; you're still relying on nothing more than self-reporting to determine what they're actually experiencing. Furthermore, even IF we accepted that an MRI scan can show someone is lucid dreaming (and we don't), then that doesn't demonstrate that *you* have experienced one, unless you could show us your MRI.

Just because lucid dreaming has been confirmed in others,

Except for how, as I said above, it hasn't been.

and I've experienced interaction with dream worlds, doesn't mean that I was lucid dreaming... right.

Correct, because not only are we supposed to believe it based purely on you saying so; which is anecdotal evidence and so not very reliable; but we have plenty of reason to think that you (or anyone else making such a claim) are in no objective position to determine that's what happened. Consider, after all, that humans are normally incapable of remembering dreams in the overwhelming majority of cases, and that even in those few cases (we remember on average only 5% of our dreams), our memory of the dream is severely fragmented and vague. We may be left with nothing more than strong self-reinforcing impressions that may not be accurate in regards to what we actually dreamed. Furthermore, consider the possibility, as I already pointed out, that the whole "lucid dream" is nothing more than a feedback loop that occurs during the waking process, and was not ever in fact a dream that you were lucid in: it would be little more than a variation of deja vu.

In fact, your experience of this conversation could simply be a creation of your brain.....

Yes, that is entirely possible. However, your attempt to engage in reductio ad absurbum doesn't quite work since the two situations aren't equivalent. We already know for a fact that the human brain is perfectly capable of producing delusions (which is essentially what dreams are to begin with), false memories, and has a habit of confusing us in this context. The possibility that you just imagined having a lucid dream is a pretty *mundane* possibility that would not be odd or unusual at all. The possibility that someone is creating an imagined conversation on a forum with this level of detail is much less mundane. It is theoretically possible that I could be schizophrenic ofcourse, but schizophrenics do not usually hallucinate these sort of detailed and structured forum conversations.

I already *did*. Did you not understand my response?
I understood that you avoided (subconsciously perhaps) the context to avoid the implications of the questions, and instead responded to the question out of context.

The whole point is that you can know something is less vivid and detailed without visualizing it, which means your claims of needing to be able to visualize something in order to judge that it is less vivid/detailed are false.

Which works fine with simple questions where you can apply basic general knowledge (like how colors work) to come up with an answer... but this does not allow you to determine that you experience vivid dreams,
I remember being on a mountaintop. I know that the view from the mountaintop was more vivid than my memory of being on the mountaintop. I'm not visualizing the view in order to know this- it's not some big mystery.

Likewise with dreams. I remember interacting consciously with a dream world and being surprised at the level of details. It was a specific dream in which I was flying, and I was flying over ruins, covered in plants that were a glowing vibrant green, the sky was a pure blue, the water sparkled in the sun. I was flying, so I knew I was in a dream, and I remember thinking "this is fucking amazing that my dreamworld has this much clarity and detail".

For fun...

If you'd paid attention, you'd have already seen me do so in post #4.
Yeah. You could rehash it, so we could approach it from another angle. You might also take into account that you are not the only person reading this thread.... if that's not too much to expect from someone who also has contextualization issues at times.

Except that doesn't show that they're lucid dreaming, it just shows that they're experiencing a certain kind of brain activity;
I suppose you'd have to be able to hold more than one concept in your mind to understand the article (which has context to it). Perhaps failure at contextualization is a fundamental part of your thinking "ability", which would explain a lot.

I was under the impression you ignore context in order to create strawmen... anyways. I don't know if having the information right in front of you will help or not, but here goes nothin':
Article said:
For the study, six lucid dreamers were asked to sleep in a functional MRI machine so blood flow to regions of their brain could be monitored. Once asleep, the subjects were asked to confirm their lucid dream-state with a series of of eye movements. They were then asked to purposely "dream" that they were clenching their fists.

Researchers found that the subjects' brain activity during the lucid dreaming of this task was similar to their brain activity while performing the same task when awake. However, their brain activity during sleep was weaker.

Furthermore, consider the possibility, as I already pointed out, that the whole "lucid dream" is nothing more than a feedback loop that occurs during the waking process, and was not ever in fact a dream that you were lucid in: it would be little more than a variation of deja vu.
hahahahahahaa... article... are you joking? Do you science bro?

Nah. I cannot strongly visualize. I doubt I have aphantasia (unless it's of the "reduced ability to visualize" variety), I just have a tendency to think symbolically and conceptually. I can recall specific images, most have a bit of compression loss (some a lot of compression loss!). I do visualize certain things, I just can't escape my primary focus upon external reality- my visualizations are flashes, or low detail, for the most part (unlike dreams which are sustained and high detail).
So it seems to me if there is an actual difference it's all a matter of degree. As already said by others, visualisation is never thought of as anywhere near to actually looking at something. And I'm quite sure there are good survival reasons why this is not so. Second, as also already suggested, visualisation capabilities can be improved by training and practice. And then, sure, there must be genetic factors and people with varying capabilities by accident of birth. Still, sometimes if you're better at something you may as a direct result be rotten at something else. What you are helps you decide what to do in life, which is the advantage of social life. Some people can be happy being architects while others would be better off being, I don't know, special forces or politician. So some people would have visualisation capabilities much better than average and some rotten ones. But I don't think extra-good visualisation capabilities should be considered as an overall advantage. The brain has so many important things to do beside visualising things. Conceptualisation capabilities seem a clear advantage in our modern economies, if not necessarily in the wild confronting on your own a poss of hungry polar bears.

I guess it's conceptual skills and poor visualisation capabilities that help porn sell so well... ;)

My brother says that he does visualize complex images (when designing landscapes or layouts), but in his experience his visualizations of how things will turn out have been incorrect, so he does the stuff on paper. My theory is that his mind mixed how he wanted the landscape to look with how he knew the plants look (I should tell him this, and see what he says).
The question may be: How much did training contribute to his performance?
EB

Likewise with dreams. I remember interacting consciously with a dream world and being surprised at the level of details. It was a specific dream in which I was flying, and I was flying over ruins, covered in plants that were a glowing vibrant green, the sky was a pure blue, the water sparkled in the sun. I was flying, so I knew I was in a dream, and I remember thinking "this is fucking amazing that my dreamworld has this much clarity and detail".
I never was able to realise I was in a dream. I thought one couldn't do that.

The level of details of my dreams are not particularly impressive. It's just good enough to "make sense", if that's the word. It's invariably low budget, second rate acting and the story sucks. I don't go to bed with the idea I'm going to watch a good dream tonight.

Maybe part of the visualisation area in your brain has been somehow taken over by the "dream area" (relative to normal people like me :p).
EB

I understood that you avoided (subconsciously perhaps) the context to avoid the implications of the questions, and instead responded to the question out of context.

The whole point is that you can know something is less vivid and detailed without visualizing it, which means your claims of needing to be able to visualize something in order to judge that it is less vivid/detailed are false.

No, I did not "avoid" the context. The answer I gave was in context to the questions you posed. You are confusing the fact that I didn't answer your question the way you expected me to, in according with the way you set them up in order to lead to a specific conclusion, with "out of context".

And no, you still can't actually know that one visualization (a dream) is less or more vivid/detailed than a regular mental visualization, if you're incapable of said regular visualization. Which is what the whole disagreement was actually about.

I remember being on a mountaintop. I know that the view from the mountaintop was more vivid than my memory of being on the mountaintop. I'm not visualizing the view in order to know this- it's not some big mystery.

But there's NO objective way for us (and that includes you) to determine that you're not actually full of shit. That's the point. All you can do is claim it, and to support the claim all you can do is say something along the lines of "well I just know it."

Sorry, "I just know it was vivid" is not good enough.

Likewise with dreams. I remember interacting consciously with a dream world and being surprised at the level of details.

But again, we don't know that. Neither do you. You have no way of knowing that what you remember isn't a feedback loop created upon waking. And you have no way of determining how vivid the dream images were because not only do you claim to be incapable of visualization and thus can't produce a visual memory of the dream's contents, but even if you WERE capable of this we would still have to express skepticism because human memory is notoriously unreliable. Being surprised at the level of detail of a dream isn't actually an indication that there was a lot of detail in the dream: the human brain isn't operating normally while dreaming; logic and internal reality-sense is severely compromised.

I remember dreams in which I *knew*, with *absolute certainty*, that I had come up with earth-shattering ideas... only to wake up, scribble them down before going back to sleep again, and find a note in the morning with utterly dumb ramblings on it. What you "know/think" you experienced in a compromised mental state like a dream is not very reliable.

Yeah. You could rehash it, so we could approach it from another angle.

Or, you could just go back and read it so you could approach it from the angle you never actually approached in the first place.

I suppose you'd have to be able to hold more than one concept in your mind to understand the article (which has context to it). Perhaps failure at contextualization is a fundamental part of your thinking "ability", which would explain a lot.

I was under the impression you ignore context in order to create strawmen... anyways. I don't know if having the information right in front of you will help or not, but here goes nothin':
Article said:
For the study, six lucid dreamers were asked to sleep in a functional MRI machine so blood flow to regions of their brain could be monitored. Once asleep, the subjects were asked to confirm their lucid dream-state with a series of of eye movements. They were then asked to purposely "dream" that they were clenching their fists.

Researchers found that the subjects' brain activity during the lucid dreaming of this task was similar to their brain activity while performing the same task when awake. However, their brain activity during sleep was weaker.

Great. Once again, this does not prove that they were lucid dreaming; nor would any scientist actually claim that it does. Once again, you're still relying on self-reporting. Certainly it suggests something akin to what they're claiming (lucid dreaming) is happening... but this what we call circumstantial evidence. There are a number of other equally plausible explanations that explain such brain activity. And once again, even if we were to accept this as proof of lucid dreaming... it still wouldn't prove that *you* experienced it.

hahahahahahaa... article... are you joking? Do you science bro?

I will interpret your mad cackling and dismissiveness as a sign that you don't actually understand what I said. Certainly the possibility I suggested is well within scientific plausibility; although the whole point of it wasn't to establish a serious theory but rather to demonstrate to you that you do not actually have an objective way to determine you experienced a lucid dream; a point apparently lost on you even though it has been explained to you many times now.

The level of details of my dreams are not particularly impressive. It's just good enough to "make sense", if that's the word. It's invariably low budget, second rate acting and the story sucks. I don't go to bed with the idea I'm going to watch a good dream tonight.

I have the sense that some of my dreams have amazing detail. But I say "sense", because like most people I can't actually remember enough of them to make an accurate assessment. If my 'sense' is on the mark, then I had a particularly detailed dream last night; but I only remember fragments now (I was an entirely different person, gender and age, and had just moved to Tokyo where I didn't understand anyone except someone who I think was my cousin or brother, whom I went to a massive department store with where he disappeared leaving me to wander the night-time streets in search of someone who could help me find my way and randomly showing up at some high society party... or something along those lines) so I really can't be sure. I can still remember (almost a day later now) a good chunk of what the store I got ditched in looked like, which is quite impressive given that I've never been anywhere that looks like it, and which does suggest a high level of detail... but again, I don't know for sure.

And I'm quite sure there are good survival reasons why this is not so.
:eek:
The question may be: How much did training contribute to his performance?
EB
I asked him, although I may have primed him with the answer because he didn't understand the question. Anyways, he said that it sounds likely that his visualization of how he wanted the landscape to look interfered with his visualization of how the landscape would actually look.

Back
Top Bottom