• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Are there any "true" atheists?

It's off-topic though from your op that you already conceded.
I've yet to see any good evidence that atheists can have no theism in them.
Other than atheists exist and insist they don't.
If I exist and say atheists do have some belief in God, then is that good evidence that I'm right?
It isn't particularly useful because you are imposing what you think other people are thinking, which isn't particularly reliable.
And you are making the claim and are the one that needs to defend your assertion that we are lying.
Uh boy--I never said that anybody is lying, but that persistent assertion that I am may be an admission of guilt.
Yes, you have accused others of lying. Just because you didn't say "Rhea, you are lying" doesn't insulate you from the up front context of your statements.

To put it diplomatically at some point when you are talking with someone you may conclude he or she 'has issues' as the modern saying goes.

Or not so diplomatically 'not playing with a full deck of cards' as an older saying goes.

Is it correct that you accept as true all answers to your questions?
All answers? Of course not.

People describing themselves on the internet concerning theological beliefs? Yeah pretty much. Why not?

When the answers are extremely mundane, on a subject I know a good bit about, why would I not accept the answers given?
Tom

First Statement: I'm willing to concede that there are at least some true atheists who completely lack theistic beliefs, ...

Then later,
Second Statement: I've yet to see any good evidence that atheists can have no theism in them.

Speaking of cognitive dissonance, Unknown Soldier has contradictory beliefs.
Good try, but those two statements of mine aren't contradictory. A statement that contradicts the first statement would be the following:

C. I'm not willing to concede that there are at least some true atheists who completely lack theistic beliefs.

I would need to make the first statement and statement C at the same time, of course, for them to be contradictory. Anyway, the second statement does not take on the form of statement C and is therefore not contradicting the first statement. I can concede the possibility that there are true atheists without having good evidence for them while being perfectly consistent.

Blah blah blah, except in that post you DID give evidence for them. And besides, it's still inconsistent because you believe based on evidence it's possible but then say you haven't seen the evidence you said you saw.

If I exist and say atheists do have some belief in God, then is that good evidence that I'm right?
It isn't particularly useful because you are imposing what you think other people are thinking, which isn't particularly reliable.
You didn't answer my question. As we all know it's idiotic to just believe anything anybody says. If mere assertions are all you have to offer, then obviously it has not been established that atheists cannot believe in God.
And you are making the claim and are the one that needs to defend your assertion that we are lying.
Uh boy--I never said that anybody is lying, but that persistent assertion that I am may be an admission of guilt.
Yes, you have accused others of lying. Just because you didn't say "Rhea, you are lying" doesn't insulate you from the up front context of your statements.
Well, if I am skeptical of what I've been told, then you're ignoring the gorilla in the room: So many people here have conducted themselves in a manner that is unlikely to earn them a reputation for fairness, integrity, and honesty. The human tendency to omit important information like that is why courts of law require those who take the stand to swear to tell the whole truth.

You didn't answer my question. As we all know it's idiotic to just believe anything anybody says.
Got it.

Is it correct that you accept as true all answers to your questions?
All answers? Of course not.
There you go! Now I've got you thinking.
People describing themselves on the internet concerning theological beliefs? Yeah pretty much. Why not?
So you think that what people say on the internet about religion is all true.
When the answers are extremely mundane, on a subject I know a good bit about, why would I not accept the answers given?
Tom
You consider the exclusivity of atheism to be mundane?

Getting back to the OP, one way to interpret this strange talk of "thou shalt believe everything I prophesy" is that we have here a fanatical group of atheists running away from a truth they fear greatly. They may well fear "Him who can destroy both body and soul in hell." They might repress belief in that God because if He exists, then they are tragically wrong.

As we all know it's idiotic to just believe anything anybody says. If mere assertions are all you have to offer, then obviously it has not been established that atheists cannot believe in God.
If you weren't prepared to listen to what people say, and believe they were being honest when they were self-reporting on their life experiences and the convictions generated by their brains as a result of said experiences, why did you ask the question?

So are there any people who are "true" atheists?
That's you asking the question in the first post. What were you trying to achieve, other than some pleasure in having wasted other people's time? Because you clearly weren't ready to listen to anything they said regarding their own experiences and convictions.

Why do you want to spend any time talking to people that you don't trust to speak the truth? Or even provisionally assume are speaking the truth?

In other words, those who identify as atheists may have a wee bit of belief in God(s) and are possibly unaware of it.
If they were "unaware" of it, what makes you believe they would have any meaningful insight into these beliefs that they were not aware of to begin with? Do you routinely have insight into things that you are not aware of?

This thread has been an exercise in immature behavior masquerading as sincere inquiry. And very poorly disguised at that. The original poster constantly berates the atheists who have made the time and the effort to engage in sincere dialog with this fool, while making it clear that he has no intention of actually engaging in sincere dialog. I think the original poster is actually a Christian who is here to denigrate unbelievers, and may be "possibly unaware of it".

Last edited:
This thread has been an exercise in immature behavior masquerading as sincere inquiry. And very poorly disguised at that. The original poster constantly berates the atheists who have made the time and the effort to engage in sincere dialog with this fool, while making it clear that he has no intention of actually engaging in sincere dialog. I think the original poster is actually a Christian who is here to denigrate unbelievers, and may be "possibly unaware of it".
Hmmm. The activity in this forum appears more cult-like with every post I read. Cults demand belief from all who hop on the bandwagon while those who resist the words of the prophetess are to be tossed under the wheels of that bandwagon. All reason and evidence brought up against the cult's doctrine are to be denounced, ignored, denied, or forcibly silenced if possible.

And that's why it appears to me that atheists may believe in a God of sorts. They seem blissfully unaware of their behavior that so closely resembles that of theists who band together to fight off anybody who would be the perceived enemy of their God. In the inerrant words of the atheists' prophetess we read: "The fool in his posts says there is a God that atheists believe in."

Nobody is demanding any belief from you.

But I roll my eyes at how you are demanding it from others.

People were just answering your question which we at first assumed you were asking in good faith.
We answered,
you demand that we cleave to your belief instead,
we said, yah, no thanks,
and now you’re complaining that this is a cult.

This has been fascinating.
You believe what you want.
The caravan keeps rolling on.

Hmmm. The activity in this forum appears more cult-like with every post I read. Cults demand belief from all who hop on the bandwagon while those who resist the words of the prophetess are to be tossed under the wheels of that bandwagon. All reason and evidence brought up against the cult's doctrine are to be denounced, ignored, denied, or forcibly silenced if possible.
Mere assertion, saying you have doubt, denial as per the Monty Python argument sketch, and certainly accusation don't actually equate to reason or evidence.

And that's why it appears to me that atheists may believe in a God of sorts. They seem blissfully unaware of their behavior that so closely resembles that of theists who band together to fight off anybody who would be the perceived enemy of their God. In the inerrant words of the atheists' prophetess we read: "The fool in his posts says there is a God that atheists believe in."
Didn't respond to any of the points I had raised exposing the fraud in your posts, did you? Like why you would ask people if they were "true atheists" when you had no intention of accepting what they reported. Like asking people who had "belief in gods that they were unaware of" to confess these beliefs that they weren't even aware of. But atheists are cultists, right? ;)

I actually read a few pages of another thread started by this poster. That thread follows a very similar arc, and the accusations leveled against the people who disagree with this poster's ridiculous opinions are even more vitriolic and inflammatory. I think this guy is a professional.

Last edited:
Getting back to the OP, ...

===FULL STOP BEGIN===

While we get back to the op, let's review some things Unknown Soldier has written since then on the question.

The op started with the question:

Mathematically, that means is there at least 1 person out there in the Universe.

Later on, Unknown Soldier admitted a minimum of the following:
Some people may not be able to believe in God due to cognitive limitations like brain damage. (And I am tempted to offer some real-life examples!) Others may simply have never been exposed to the idea of a deity and therefore never seriously entertained the idea.

There are definitely people who exist who have brain damage. Sure, those people can believe many different kinds of things, including atheism, Christianity, Buddhism, Taosim, Magic Pink Ponyism. The ideas are not that related, but it's US's admission so I am going with it. Secondly, US said there are people who have never been exposed to the idea of a deity. This is certainly true. Indeed, early on, I gave US the example of babies. Babies are atheists. Babies exist. Q.E.D.

Now, of course, those things are trivial and not too much worth a discussion except for the fact that US had put forth such an absolutist kind of op post saying he wondered if any atheists at all (N>0) existed under the presumption that atheists may have a "wee" bit of theism inferred incorrectly from an assumption of exposure to the idea of theism. So, the trivial cases US was wrong were worth mentioning just to expose the assumptions and incorrect definitions.

Let's call the entire set of atheists A.
Let's call the set of atheists who lack cognitive functioning to consider abstract notions such as a deity B.
Let's call the set of atheists who were never exposed to the idea of a deity C.

We call the remaining subset of atheists D = A - B - C.

US's new postings in context even if he does hyperbolically go back to talking about the entire set A are about whether D is a non-empty set.

BUT there is another nuance in what he had previously written....this section:
"...may simply have never been exposed to the idea of a deity and therefore never seriously entertained the idea"

to be discussed below...

to continue...

===FULL STOP END===

... one way to interpret this strange talk of "thou shalt believe everything I prophesy" is that we have here a fanatical group of atheists running away from a truth they fear greatly. They may well fear "Him who can destroy both body and soul in hell." They might repress belief in that God because if He exists, then they are tragically wrong.

There are several atheists in the thread who have claimed membership in the set D. Two off the top of my head are bilby and Rhea.

The claims and so-called evidence of a deity have been examined and concluded it is not to be taken seriously because it is laughable. They have both stated so. Contrast that to the later concession post: "Others may simply have never been exposed to the idea of a deity and therefore never seriously entertained the idea." The idea was never taken or believed because it was always contradictory, illogical, and counter-factual.

There is no alleged cognitive dissonance because there was never a belief. Consider that among the subset D, there are such people who have never taken on the idea because it is illogical. They have said so. We can say the subset D is non-empty and now we are done yet again with the question.

Unless...there is some reason to doubt Rhea, bilby, and others that somehow Christianity is so logical, non-contradictory, and factual that once one is exposed to it, some belief HAS to take hold.

The burden is on Unknown Soldier to prove this. It is an enormous burden because it's been discussed for decades and these things are proved. So he will have to show this in great detail over all the arguments.

What's left?

So if E = the set of atheists such as bilby and Rhea who never believed in theism because they could not get past the illogical nature of it
then F = D - E, is the remaining set of atheists exposed to theism and believing it at some time in their lives

What remains in question for Unknown Soldier, but not for his question, is people such as Unknown Soldier who allegedly have cognitive dissonance and cannot therefore consider themselves "true" atheists. Are there some subset within F who were once exposed to Christianity so strongly that they have fears of Hell and cannot let go of an idea they may be wrong? Unknown says he is such a person. Let's take him at his word. He might or might not be a set of 1. No need to put this weirdness on anyone else.

So in the remaining putative set of F, there is a subset of people who once had some belief in Christianity (or maybe some other Abrahamic religion). I should mention here that not every denomination of every variant of Abrahamic religion believes in a Hell. Some merely believe in a non-existence after death. So it appears this subset is even smaller than Unknown Soldier realizes.

That said, US hypothesizes this remaining subset of F has a wee bit of belief due to fear of being wrong about an afterlife.

The problem with this claim is pretty much the same as the logical problem of Pascal's Wager. There are an infinite number of possible religions and when you consider how illogical they all are, there is no reason to pick one over the other and if you choose the wrong one, you either burn in Hell or you don't, depending on what other religions say. It's very silly.

Still, supposing that a person once took in a particular belief system such as a Christian denomination that believes in Hell. Supposing also that they find atheism to be far more logical but still harbor fears about the afterlife, they might as an alternative in their brain focus purely on what they learned from that denomination because they did not educate themselves on the myriad other wrong religions or the strength of the wrongness of that one. More likely than not, they'd not be claiming to be an atheist, but rather put themselves in a "Not Sure" category. BUT if for some weird reason they labeled themselves as an atheist, then they might also be in the same very small subset of people that Unknown Soldier is in.

Such very few people are a very different set of people than how Unknown Soldier made it out to be in his op...and there certainly are true atheists, quite a few different types.

Last edited:
That's actually a rhetorical question. I see it as the basis for an investigation.

Mathematically, that means is there at least 1 person out there in the Universe.

Later on, Unknown Soldier admitted a minimum of the following:
Some people may not be able to believe in God due to cognitive limitations like brain damage. (And I am tempted to offer some real-life examples!) Others may simply have never been exposed to the idea of a deity and therefore never seriously entertained the idea.

There are definitely people who exist who have brain damage. Sure, those people can believe many different kinds of things, including atheism, Christianity, Buddhism, Taosim, Magic Pink Ponyism. The ideas are not that related, but it's US's admission so I am going with it.
Why do you call it an "admission"? You make it sound like I am divulging guilt. I'm just facing the fact that there are some possible reasons for total lack of theism in a person.
Secondly, US said there are people who have never been exposed to the idea of a deity. This is certainly true. Indeed, early on, I gave US the example of babies. Babies are atheists. Babies exist. Q.E.D.
We don't know if babies are atheists. Please cite some scientific evidence for this claim if you have any evidence.
Now, of course, those things are trivial and not too much worth a discussion except for the fact that US had put forth such an absolutist kind of op post saying he wondered if any atheists at all (N>0) existed under the presumption that atheists may have a "wee" bit of theism inferred incorrectly from an assumption of exposure to the idea of theism.
But what I said is the very opposite of absolutism. I'm very open to all possibilities.
So, the trivial cases US was wrong were worth mentioning just to expose the assumptions and incorrect definitions.
Those "incorrect definitions" would be your definitions, of course.
... one way to interpret this strange talk of "thou shalt believe everything I prophesy" is that we have here a fanatical group of atheists running away from a truth they fear greatly. They may well fear "Him who can destroy both body and soul in hell." They might repress belief in that God because if He exists, then they are tragically wrong.

There are several atheists in the thread who have claimed membership in the set D. Two off the top of my head are bilby and Rhea.
I'm just glad they're on your side.
There is no alleged cognitive dissonance because there was never a belief.
There's no way you can know that. Theists in a similar way make claims about God they cannot possibly know to be true.
Unless...there is some reason to doubt Rhea, bilby, and others that somehow Christianity is so logical, non-contradictory, and factual that once one is exposed to it, some belief HAS to take hold.

The burden is on Unknown Soldier to prove this. It is an enormous burden because it's been discussed for decades and these things are proved. So he will have to show this in great detail over all the arguments.
I have no such burden. You're misrepresenting my position because I never asserted that "Christianity is so logical, non-contradictory, and factual that once one is exposed to it, some belief HAS to take hold." Obviously, influencing people's thinking need not involve logic and facts.
That said, US hypothesizes this remaining subset of F has a wee bit of belief due to fear of being wrong about an afterlife.

The problem with this claim is pretty much the same as the logical problem of Pascal's Wager. There are an infinite number of possible religions...
No there aren't!
...and when you consider how illogical they all are, there is no reason to pick one over the other and if you choose the wrong one, you either burn in Hell or you don't, depending on what other religions say. It's very silly.
Your first fallacy here is your presumption that if you think something is silly, then it cannot be true. Truth need not make sense to us. Yes, there is a plethora of competing religions, but it doesn't need to be the case that all of them are false. If we arbitrarily expanded the category of religion to include religious viewpoints like atheism, then using your logic atheism would need to be false too! So your second fallacy is a non sequitur: It doesn't follow that if there are a lot of religions, then they're all false.

So do you have any scientific evidence for pure atheism? If you claim that some atheists have no theism at all in them, then mere assertions prove little. I should point out that I've cited scientific evidence three times to cast doubt on the claim of pure atheism: The Coke/Pepsi taste tests demonstrating people are wrong when they insist they can tell the difference, the racism tests demonstrating racism in people who deny it, and the well-known phenomena of cognitive dissonance which proves people can and do harbor contradictory thoughts. So far this scientific evidence has been ignored or even mocked.

So here's the science score so far:
Unknown Soldier--3.
Those who claim pure atheism--0.

That's actually a rhetorical question. I see it as the basis for an investigation.

It was a RHETORICAL question? You mean you did not come here to find out if there were any true atheists but merely to preach to us that none of us are true atheists?

That is a violation of the TOU of the site.

If you come and ask us about our beliefs, and then proceed to refuse to believe our beliefs and spend your time just declaring us wrong based on your beliefs, that is preaching

Why do you call it an "admission"? You make it sound like I am divulging guilt. I'm just facing the fact that there are some possible reasons for total lack of theism in a person.

And you see them before you.
People right here with reasons for a total lack of theism.

Secondly, US said there are people who have never been exposed to the idea of a deity. This is certainly true. Indeed, early on, I gave US the example of babies. Babies are atheists. Babies exist. Q.E.D.
We don't know if babies are atheists. Please cite some scientific evidence for this claim if you have any evidence.

I think the science is clear, if someone who has never been exposed to theism can be an atheist (you cite this as true), then it’s absolutely true that a newborn baby has not been exposed to theism.

There is no alleged cognitive dissonance because there was never a belief.
There's no way you can know that.
I know it.
There has never been a dissonance. What makes sense, makes perfect sense to me. And God(dess)(es) do not make sense, and I don’t miss them a bit. I have no struggle with the lack of belief in a god in me. I’ve had decades to consider it. I have no dissonance.

YOU have a deep-seated belief. That’s you. It’s not me. I have never had a belief.

Theists in a similar way make claims about God they cannot possibly know to be true.

But here’s an interesting thing that US does. He inserts this non-sequitur about whether theists know their god to be true. This has NOTHING whatsoever to do with their belief in it. In fact, they revel in the state of believing without ceretain proof or knowledge. That’s their WHOLE SCAM. But the belief, it is as strong and as true as the day is long. They TRULY believe. They truly belive in a fairy tale, but it’s a true belief.

So this tactic of trying to conflate the truth of belief with the truth of what they believe in is utterly irrelevant, and has nothing whatsoever to do with whether someone is a True Atheist.

A person could be a True Atheist even if a god actually existed. As long as they did not believe in it at all (See “MAGA Big Lie, and its followers”)

I have no such burden. You're misrepresenting my position because I never asserted that "Christianity is so logical, non-contradictory, and factual that once one is exposed to it, some belief HAS to take hold." Obviously, influencing people's thinking need not involve logic and facts.

Here, US realizes his mistake in the above about how a Theist can’t be a True Theist if they have no way of verifying the actual existence of a god, and he know reverses and says “obviously influencing people’s thinking doesn’t require logic and facts.”

Ooops, he just showed how his statement above that “there’s no way [an atheist] could know they are an atheist” is no longer his position.

Your first fallacy here is your presumption that if you think something is silly, then it cannot be true.

And your first fallacy here is your presumption that if someone thinks something is vacuously silly, they still believe in it.

Truth need not make sense to us.

Conversely though, US does not understand that for some of us, we are unable to muster even a grain of belief if it makes no sense.

I’m not the type to wait around trusting it to make sense. If it doesn’t make sense, then it’s out the window. If new information comes along, I’ll look at that, but the old non-sensical information doesn’t age into sense like some cosmic wine.

Yes, there is a plethora of competing religions, but it doesn't need to be the case that all of them are false.

It doesn’t need to. But so far it looks like it is.
Until one of them makes sense, I have no belief.
There is not a god(dess)(es) shaped hole in my psyche searching for a filling.
I am absolutely balanced, content and peaceful with no belief of any kind in a god(dess)(es).

If we arbitrarily expanded the category of religion to include religious viewpoints like atheism,

Why would anyone do that? That doesn’t make sense.

Unless one is a preacher trying to hold dearly onto their belief by denying anyone else lacks it.
A scared theist trying to convince themselves that the universe must hold a diety and that everyone believes it, because finding out there is a happy and content and non-terrified atheist will implode your brain in fear of the vastness of a non-deified space.

So do you have any scientific evidence for pure atheism?

Yes. The existence of it in study subjects.
Boom. Done.

If you claim that some atheists have no theism at all in them, then mere assertions prove little.

Are you saying you need a mechanistic hypothesis? Beyond clear and obvious examples?

I should point out that I've cited scientific evidence
Scientific evidence does not require the hypothesis, you know. Just the existence of an example.
You’ve recieved your evidence. Actual examples.

three times to cast doubt on the claim of pure atheism: The Coke/Pepsi taste tests demonstrating people are wrong when they insist they can tell the difference,
The ability of the taste buds to discern taste is not the same as holding a belief or not. This example is false.

the racism tests demonstrating racism in people who deny it,
False example.
We’ve already shown that tests for theism in us have never demonstrated theistic results.

and the well-known phenomena of cognitive dissonance which proves people can and do harbor contradictory thoughts.
False example
Some people having contradictory thoughts does not prove that a thought exists in someone else in the first place.
I have contradictory thoughts in many things. The existence of god(dess)(es) is not one of them.

So far this scientific evidence has been ignored or even mocked.
It is not scientific evidence.
You are projecting.

I hypothesize that you have a very deep fear that the universe does not include an entity that looks after you. And the existence of people who do not have your fear, feeds your panic. So you have an impulsive need to prove to yourself that we don’t exist, so that you can relax and feel there is no threat to your belief in the existence of a god(dess)(es).

From what I see in this thread, it terrifies you that atheists exist, because it suggests that maybe your god does not.

But to the OP: Do True Atheists exist?
Yes. Yes, they do.

It was a RHETORICAL question? You mean you did not come here to find out if there were any true atheists but merely to preach to us that none of us are true atheists?

If you come and ask us about our beliefs, and then proceed to refuse to believe our beliefs and spend your time just declaring us wrong based on your beliefs, that is preaching
Are people required to believe everything I say?

It would be foolish for you to take a comment about people self-declaring their beliefs about god(dess)(es) and conflate that with “everything they say.”

If you say you believe in god(dess)(es), then you believe in god(dess)(es).

Are there any True Atheists? Yes.

You didn't answer my question. Are people required to believe everything I say? Yes or no? Why or why not?
It would be foolish for you to take a comment about people self-declaring their beliefs about god(dess)(es) and conflate that with “everything they say.”
OK. Then I'm left wondering why self-declarations about beliefs in Gods and Goddesses are so surely true while other things people say are not so credible. I do see how your making that distinction helps your argument seeing that your word on your not believing in a God is all the evidence you have. It's common in rhetoric to make assertions if confirming evidence is lacking. I've seen Christian apologists make such assertions when they lack evidence for their claims.
If you say you believe in god(dess)(es), then you believe in god(dess)(es).
I believe in Gods and Goddesses! Guess what? I really don't. So I just disproved what you say here.
Are there any True Atheists? Yes.
  • Are there ETs abducting people? Yes.
  • Are there bipedal apes walking about the Pacific Northwest and the Himalayas? Yes.
  • Is cold fusion real? Yes.
  • Does the position of the planets on our birthdays determine what we will turn out to be? Yes.
  • Is there critical thinking at IIDB? Yes.
That last one at least can be demonstrated to be partly true.

Back
Top Bottom