• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Are words immaterial?

Wouldn't you agree that the visual of 3 is quite different from the brain function that lets us experience the vision of 3?

No.

So is the experience of seeing your favorite painting for a length of 5 minutes the same as what your brain is doing functionally for that same amount of time? Remember, you are the function. What you say happened for those 5 minutes at function A is going to be a heck of a lot different than what scientists studying your brain will say happened for those 5 minutes in function A. They are simply two incredibly different things.

The visual of 3 is inseparable from the experience of the vision of 3. The experience of the vision of 3 being an activity of the brain in the form of a mental representation of this sensory experience.

I know that the visual of 3 is identical to the experience of the vision of 3. My post was about the argument that the brain function is not the same as the experience that emerges from the brain function; therefore, the brain function isn't identical to the experience.

Not identical to the function, but nonetheless an aspect of the brain activity that forms the experience. It may be described as an emergent property of this form of brain activity.

haven't kept up in the past 24 hours... so I don't know what has been said from the various factions...but..
I was thinking about the brain in a vat scenario.. all experience that a brain in a vat would experience would be electro-chemical stimulation, meaning everything would be material.
If everything that a brain in a vat could experience is material what makes you think that if we aren't in a vat there is something immaterial when everything that could be experienced by a brain in a vat is material?
The flaw in your reasoning is that we don't seem to know what a brain in a vat would have in terms of experience. To know that, we would need to be a brain in a vat. If we are, then our experience is subjective and can hardly be called "material".

Alternatively, you may be using the term "experience" in an unusual way. What would be different from a materialist perspective? Nothing fundamental. The material world would still be there. The brain would lack a body but the idea is that all inputs to the brain would be essentially identical to the inputs a brain gets when it's properly nestled into a functional body.

However, from a subjectivist perspective, the point is that we accept that the brain in a vat couldn't tell it is a brain in a vat. Given that its inputs are deemed identical to those of a brain in a body, this requires us to accept that a brain in a body cannot tell it's not in a vat. Thus, our normal belief that we have a body could not be proved. If so, even our normal belief that there is a material world could not be proved either. However, subjective experience, if you have it, cannot be denied. So we end up with the certainty of the existence of subjective experience and the uncertainty of the existence of the material world.
EB

I know that the visual of 3 is identical to the experience of the vision of 3. My post was about the argument that the brain function is not the same as the experience that emerges from the brain function; therefore, the brain function isn't identical to the experience.

Not identical to the function, but nonetheless an aspect of the brain activity that forms the experience. It may be described as an emergent property of this form of brain activity.

The brain seems to have the ability to experience and be experienced, but most things can only be experienced. Why should a lot of things that can only be experienced add up to equal something that experiences and can be experienced? This is a non-reductive phenomenon.

I don't think anyone is arguing that concepts and ideas aren't related to brain states.
Me I'm not. But equally, I wouldn't argue that ideas are related to brain states or processes. I think science could show correlation, which is just that.

In fact it seems unanimous, at least on this thread, that brain states are necessary for ideas and concepts to exist.
I certainly disagree with the idea of necessity here. Correlation doesn't entail that brain states or processes are necessary to the existence of ideas and concepts (or subjective experience and qualia generally). In fact, I would even say that we don't even know if brain states or processes exist at all outside the idea we have of them. It doesn't mean they don't exist but that the notion of necessity is unfounded, as yet.
EB

I'm certainly not claiming I know my belief to be true!

The redness, dispair etc is somehow there in the dynamics of our neurons.
Possibly so but you just make yourself look foolish asserting something you don't know.

It's one thing to claim or accept that there is a correlation between our neural processes and whatever qualia we experience subjectively, I accept that, but there is an obvious qualitative gap between our qualia as we experience them subjectively and our neural processes as described by science, which is, broadly, an objective description.
EB
You get it wrong; the gap is not between the qualia and the brain. The "gap" is us experience the qualia.
If you say so it might be true! Yet, I have no idea how you could prove your point or even argue it properly. Can you try to explain?
EB

Yes, I admit that I had forgotten your views on this. I guess it’s been a while since last time you discussed them. And I broadly agree if by concept you meant the object of a thought rather than something existing outside spacetime.
Object of thought seems more sensible. There's no obvious reason to argue for some kind of literal mental landscape of Platonic forms.
Ok, so a concept is just the object of one of somebody’s thoughts. If so I would agree.

The question is how they would be shared between different people, or indeed between different thoughts. How something which is ontologically restricted to being objects of our presumably separate thoughts could nonetheless be effectively shared by different people? I don’t believe that other people have some sort of ontological access to the object of my thoughts, so how could these objects be properly said to be shared at all by different people? How the object of one of my thoughts also be object of one of your thoughts? In what sense are concepts shared?

Here I’m coming back on your third objection because I seem to have explained myself rather poorly.
The point I'm making is that an immaterial concept of ownership and sale is an accurate, useful and reliable way of dealing with the phenomenon, while a discourse on the neural changes made in the buyer's and seller's brain does not, in practice, accurately capture what is going on.
Now you can make a conscious choice to try and base everything in physical interaction. So to represent a concept, you imagine a theoretical set of physical interactions that would populate all the necessary mental, physical and social interactions, from words on paper, to computers to people's heads, in which that concept is instantiated, or could ever be instantiated, in all of space and time.
It's possible, but there are some objections. A few off the top of my head...
<snip>
The third is that it's not really an adequate replacement. Replacing a conceptual category with the instantiation of everything that could fall into that category is not an equivalency. A category is not equivalent to its contents, a set is not equivalent to its members. One does not accurately replace the other.
The view of concepts as material things does not have to capture accurately what is going on in terms of (I guess) our subjective experience of concepts. Instead, it has to specify what it is that will have to be explained. Broadly, it’s showing that whatever relevant material processes can be identified are properly accounted for. Hence, the concept of circle can be investigated through physical things we could agree to regard as instances of what we think of as the concept of circle. Another example would be Alan Turing’s suggestion that the test for an AI is to be able to pass off its conversation as that of a human being. So, it’s an entirely pragmatic test. And it’s entirely material except that the status of the observer is left unexamined. This is no problem since we’re not trying to prove that subjective experience doesn’t exist by reducing the mental to the physical, merely that we have a materialist explanation of concepts regarded as material things.
A materialist explanation doesn’t have to account for the subjective experience we have of concepts. Instead, it can start from a different definition of what is a concept and explain that kind of concept. The idea is that the notion of concept as object of a thought is inconsequential. Even if it captures our subjective experience of it, it is irrelevant to actual concepts regarded as material things. So in effect, a materialist explanation of concepts shouldn’t try to base our subjective experience of them on physical interactions. It doesn’t have to represent any particular concept. Instead, it has to explain things, essentially different from each other, but that we can agree to regard as instances of the concept we have in mind even though they wouldn’t be instance of anything. They are just essentially different material things which happen to have in common that we can agree to regard them as instances of what we think of as a concept.
So, this doesn’t amount to replacing a conceptual category with everything that could fall into that category, replacing the concept by instances of it. Instead, all we need is that it should look to us as if it did, not to each human being at all times and all the time but here and now, at the moment we are looking at it. All I need to trade is to believe that the things believed to be exchanged are genuine instances of my concept of whatever I think I’m trading, even if they are not. We don’t need accuracy, equivalency or instantiation. We need belief. And then science can step in and endeavour to explain what it is we are really doing beyond what we believe we are doing.

I don't need to show that it's 'real', merely that what is meant is not accurately represented by specific physical systems. It can simply be an abstraction.
Abstraction of what?
I understand the notion of abstraction as representation abstracted from facts. The basic notion of concept is straightforward as something we conceive, irrespective of whether concepts could or could not have a reference but the notion of abstraction ordinarily assumes that an abstraction is abstracted from something else which it can be taken to represent. Are you talking about something else?

Togo said:
A fourth objection is that you lose the distinction between fact and fiction. If 'the scientific method' is merely a collection of physical descriptions or conceptions of that concept, and 'Santa Claus' is similarly a collection of physical descriptions or conceptions of that concept, then on what grounds are they treated differently?
I don’t see any distinction as far as concepts are concerned, so I don’t have this problem. The distinction may be made by reality itself, i.e. some concepts may have a reference, other do not. But the belief that a certain concept has a reference is something else entirely.
How can you have a 'reference' to a physical system? By what physical mechanism does this 'reference' operate?
How can a physical state/system have a truth value?
If the concept is physical, it exists. I think you will struggle to hang 'true' or 'false' on a purely physical mechanism without making some kind of reference to an abstraction which has no physical counterparty within the system.
A materialist explanation doesn’t have to explain how concepts regarded as objects of our thoughts could have actual references in the material world. All it needs to do is show that material things that are essentially different, for example a circle drawn in chalk on a blackboard and the orbit of a planet, are perceived by each of us as similar. This quite easy, I believe, relatively speaking. Broadly, some neuron, perhaps in the retina, will fire if it’s similar to a circle, and will not otherwise.
This is also a material specification of what kind of reference concepts would have. A thing can be deemed a reference of a concept if our percept of this thing is believed by us as sufficiently similar to the concept we have in mind.
Broadly, this is also saying that there are no actual concepts at all, if they have to be properly shared. Instead, there are material things we come to regard as as many instances of a particular concept. A materialist view of concepts will try to explain how this can come about. But it’s not going to try to explain that a concept as object of a thought is nothing but a particular set of material events or process.
We don’t need accuracy, equivalency or instantiation. These are all… concepts. They don’t exist in the material world at all. Instead, science could try to explain how we come to having these concepts, which is usually nothing but us believing that these concepts have actual instances in the material world.

I'm not saying this is the actual situation. But it seems a convincing explanation (maybe even explaining a kind of sharing of concepts), just one explanation among others, making all explanations possibly sufficient but none necessary, at least as far as I know.

Sorry for skipping some items but I think this is long enough as it is.
EB

I would also disagree that it’s not ontologically economical since each concept would be explained by the same basic mechanism, ultimately for example the interplay of twelves material particles and one force.

Can't agree with this. By that arguement, 'God did it' is always the simplest explanation, as it requires only one force.
In the materialist account there is also just one being, call it "nature", or "the material world".

Complexity comes in the actual accounting of what we agree to regard as facts. The concept of Trinity is not particularly simple as an explanation, if indeed anybody can explain it properly! How the God-did-it explanation acocunts for the tremendous amount of evil in the world? Moral choices anyone? I don't see that the God-did-it is simple except as a sort of perfunctory claim that nobody is actually interested arguing about. Compare to science. It's made up of videly different disciplines many unconnected to each other yet they nearly all believe it's the material world that did it.
EB

If you say so it might be true! Yet, I have no idea how you could prove your point or even argue it properly. Can you try to explain?
EB

Occams razor and causality.

I see no reason why anything inside my experience is very much different than what we can do with computers (intuition from 30 years in software development of biotech/biomed/AI applications).

But there is one thing that has no counterpart anywhere and seems utterly noncommunicable: the subjective experience in itself.

This is a non-reductive phenomenon.

How do you know that?

I explained why in my post. The brain has the ability to experience/observe and be experienced/observed; the brain has these two "elements". The parts that make us up do not have this "element", so where does this observing "element" come from? Pansychism? Most properties, that I can think of, that emerge from the body are just magnifications of the fundamental forces and matter. This consciousness is just too different to be explained by forces and matter alone.

How do you know that?

I explained why in my post. The brain has the ability to experience/observe and be experienced/observed; the brain has these two "elements". The parts that make us up do not have this "element", so where does this observing "element" come from? Pansychism? Most properties, that I can think of, that emerge from the body are just magnifications of the fundamental forces and matter. This consciousness is just too different to be explained by forces and matter alone.
How can you say that when there is no clue whathever? You dont know that.

How can you say that when there is no clue whathever?

Can you please rephrase this question?

You dont know that.

What exactly don't I know?

A cat is a physical thing. An idea of a cat is a mental thing.

A unicorn isn't a thing at all. An idea of a unicorn is a mental thing.

Like I said, a unicorn isn't a thing at all, and that's because they don't exist, but if one did exist, it wouldn't be a mental thing; it would be a physical thing, like a cat is. Notice that both the idea of a cat and the idea of a unicorn are both mental things, and both those things exist--they exist as such things do: as mental things. Also notice that the fact that unicorns don't exist doesn't mean that ideas of unicorns are not things that don't exist.

No mental thing could be a mental thing if not for the physical thing (the brain) that allows for them, but a mental thing is not (and I repeat) IS NOT a physical thing merely because there can be no mental thing unless there is a physical thing (the brain).

The mind is a mental thing, but it's not composed of anything physical or material. There is such a thing as brain function, and a functioning brain is a physical thing that functions, so while the brain and brain function is not a mental thing, they do give rise to what we call (and is) an abstraction--which isn't material but instead immaterial.

A cat is a physical thing. An idea of a cat is a mental thing. A unicorn isn't a thing at all. An idea of a unicorn is a mental thing.
Is features like movement physical? snowfall? heavy rain? hilltop? To me behaviour of physical entities is clearly physical.

while the brain and brain function is not a mental thing, they do give rise to what we call (and is) an abstraction--which isn't material but instead immaterial.
The mind is very real. It is not an abstraction.

A cat is a physical thing. An idea of a cat is a mental thing.

A unicorn isn't a thing at all. An idea of a unicorn is a mental thing.

Like I said, a unicorn isn't a thing at all, and that's because they don't exist, but if one did exist, it wouldn't be a mental thing; it would be a physical thing, like a cat is. Notice that both the idea of a cat and the idea of a unicorn are both mental things, and both those things exist--they exist as such things do: as mental things. Also notice that the fact that unicorns don't exist doesn't mean that ideas of unicorns are not things that don't exist.

No mental thing could be a mental thing if not for the physical thing (the brain) that allows for them, but a mental thing is not (and I repeat) IS NOT a physical thing merely because there can be no mental thing unless there is a physical thing (the brain).

The mind is a mental thing, but it's not composed of anything physical or material. There is such a thing as brain function, and a functioning brain is a physical thing that functions, so while the brain and brain function is not a mental thing, they do give rise to what we call (and is) an abstraction--which isn't material but instead immaterial.

Sorry if I am missing the point of all of this, but I only see claims with no support for them. I am on your side of the argument, so I would to dig a little deeper with the following questions.

Why does the thought of a unicorn that doesn't exist mean that the thought is an abstraction?

What would you say is the difference between an abstraction and a physical object?

How would an abstract thought interact with the physical brain?

The brain seems to have the ability to experience and be experienced, but most things can only be experienced.

To experience and be experienced? The latter implies an experiencer of the brain, but there is no such thing. The brain has the ability to form experience (consciousness), and that is all that can be said.

Why should a lot of things that can only be experienced add up to equal something that experiences and can be experienced? This is a non-reductive phenomenon.

The brain forms conscious experience based on an interaction of its sensory input and memory information through the medium of neural networks and their information processing activity, and a part of the conscious experience that is generated includes self awareness and self identity. Self/self awareness is a mental construct based on the brains memory function: autobiographical Memory

Back
Top Bottom