• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Arkansas makes nearly all abortions felonies, even in cases of rape & incest

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist
Arkansas governor just signed a bill into law that ban all abortions, except when neccessary to save the mother's life.
There is no except for cases of rape and incest.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/10/975546070/arkansas-passes-near-total-abortion-ban-as-lawmakers-push-for-supreme-court-case

Take every single right-wing claim made in the past 5 years about threats posed to "rights" by the "woke", and combined they don't even register on the same scale of violation of human and civil rights by this one law in one state. And many other GOP controlled states are aggressively trying to pass similar laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve seen analysis in the news that this is formulated explicitly to be challenged so they can put Roe. V Wade in front of the current Supreme Court.

So, would a woman asking about obtaining an abortion be considered conspiracy to commit a felony?

All miscarriages to be considered potential crime scenes?

Lots of consequences here.

I’ve seen analysis in the news that this is formulated explicitly to be challenged so they can put Roe. V Wade in front of the current Supreme Court.

I’ve also read that some right-wing groups think this bill is el loco and a bridge too far even for this SCOTUS.

Granted nothing is certain and Thomas and Alito could get crushed by a large piano or bank safe is an awful accident. So maybe SCOTUS says screw it and goes 5-4 for making states Pro-Choice on whether to ban abortion.

Why not try to tie up courts with this nonsense to distract from the absolute fact that the GOP has no platform? The fact that their lack of intelligence weighs most heavily on the backs of poor women is just expected collateral damage and of no consequence to the GOP.

Last edited:
Why not try to tie up courts with this nonsense to distract from the absolute fact that the GOP has no platform? The fact that their lack of intelligence weighs most heavily on the backs of poor women is just expected collateral damage and of no consequence to the GOP.

Toni, Toni! You need to wake up! Republicans have many great issues to run and to add to their platform:
1. 2020 election was fraudulent and stolen by the democrats; the evidence is abundant
2. COVID is a made up crisis
3. Global climate change is a myth
4. COVID vaccines will alter our DNA making us sterile
5. Wind mills will destroy our power grids

Uh, I mean, being against abortion is a pretty big part of the GOP platform, in case people haven't noticed...

I read a long time ago and cant remember my source but since Roe was passed the Republicans and enough pro-life Democrats controlled enough state legislatures they could have overrode the supreme court with a constitutional amendment several times.

If it is true it is all theatre. The Republicand say they are against abortion but really arent. They just found a way to get people to vote for them by mimicking their moral values.

I read a long time ago and cant remember my source but since Roe was passed the Republicans and enough pro-life Democrats controlled enough state legislatures they could have overrode the supreme court with a constitutional amendment several times.

If it is true it is all theatre. The Republicand say they are against abortion but really arent. They just found a way to get people to vote for them by mimicking their moral values.
if you know your political history, the answer here is a resounding yes - it is theater.

the entire "pro-life" issue was literally invented out of whole cloth after roe v. wade, and evolved to the main conservative single issue because anti-gay bigotry was their real agenda but was becoming culturally disadvantageous to pursue.
(of historical note, the term "pro-life" was pretty much invented in the years after 1973 when roe v. wade was passed, it didn't exist in the common lexicon prior to that in any meaningful way)
at some point they figured out that legally oppressing gays was a dead end legislatively, so they invented the abortion issue to rile up their base.
prior to the concerted effort to create the abortion issue nobody really cared about roe v. wade, it was not a widely controversial ruling at the time it happened.

in terms of the republican party itself, it has two distinct halves: the side that is purely political business, and the voters who give it political power.
(this is true of the democrats as well, i'm not singling out the GOP on this)
so yes, the GOP as a political body most certainly has an interest in maintaining the abortion issue in the public sphere, but in also never settling it - republicans would never want to make a constitutional amendment to outlaw abortion. they've had the political clout and the vote percentages to be able to do that many times in the past 40 years and never have, because it's WAY more lucrative for them to have a wedge issue to drive religious voters to get out on election day.

this doesn't even touch on the long history of hand-holding between the anti-abortion movement and white supremacists, but that's kind a whole other tangent by itself.

Agreed, part of me (the bad, evil, not-so-inner part these days) wishes the qop gets their wish and manages to outlaw abortion in the US. The problem is that would inflict much harm on the people who don't deserve it.

Agreed, part of me (the bad, evil, not-so-inner part these days) wishes the qop gets their wish and manages to outlaw abortion in the US. The problem is that would inflict much harm on the people who don't deserve it.
There wish is to get rid of birth control. Justice Barrett wouldn't even speak to Griswold in her Warp Speed hearing.

Back
Top Bottom