• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Arrogant Christians In The White House

RavenSky

The Doctor's Wife
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Probably not news to anyone here, but well-argued:

Mike Pence, the fundamentalist Christian whose views are so extreme that he cannot be alone with a woman other than his wife, and Donald Trump, who brags about sexually assaulting women and famously stumbled over an attempt to quote a biblical passage while on the campaign trail, seem to hold wildly divergent religious views. Yet both adhere to variations of Christianity inflected with arrogance. Together they represent two troubling trends in American Christianity, trend which appear to prove all the complaints secular liberals ever leveled against Christians.

One of the many dangers emanating out of the Trump White House is the power of Pence to impose not his religion but the behaviors his religion dictates onto the rest of us. Women’s rights and gender equality are on Pence’s hit list.

Trump’s religion, although very different, is similarly alarming. Unsurprisingly Trump accepts a religious viewpoint that tells him he is uniquely awesome. Whatever he has—however he acquired it—God wants him to enjoy to the fullest... This religious position, known as Prosperity Theology...

The arrogance of Trump’s faith can be found in its elevation of the financially successful individual above all others. The rich are rich because God wants them to be so, and he furthermore wants them to enjoy that wealth without qualms or any sense of obligation to others.

Pence’s arrogance leads him to believe that he knows exactly what God wants us all to do and that he ought to force that on us if he has the power to do so. Trump’s faith simply endorses his own self-regard, elevating his personal whims to God’s desires. The political marriage of the two men in obviously one of expedience, given the great disparities in their beliefs and goals. Yet between them, they can do a great deal of damage. Arrogant self-righteousness and egotistical self-regard together wield power over the rest of us.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...-the-white-house_us_58e94a6fe4b06f8c18beec89?

I don't know about Trump's inner thoughts, but there's nothing I have ever heard Trump say to suggest he attributes his 'success' to god.

"Trump's Faith" is a textbook oxymoron.

Trump represents the mental disease of being born extremely rich and never tasting hardship.

It really is a form of insanity. A separation from reality.

As far as his religion?

That is something to make the suckers like him.

Nothing more.

Deep thoughts are inappropriate to this subject.
Trump is a scumbag, plain and simple.
How and why he became such a scumbag is idle speculation; the only fact that matters is that Trump is a scumbag.

I hope to have lunch with Pence one day so that I can claim afterward that I'm a transgendered man and watch his head explode as he tries to process it.

I don't know about Trump's inner thoughts, but there's nothing I have ever heard Trump say to suggest he attributes his 'success' to god.

Not once you realize that Trump has complete faith in himself and believes he can accomplish anything.

Not once you realize that Trump has complete faith in himself and believes he can accomplish anything.

Sure, but in the context of religion...

One of the many dangers emanating out of the Trump White House is the power of Pence to impose not his religion but the behaviors his religion dictates onto the rest of us. Women’s rights and gender equality are on Pence’s hit list.

Trump’s religion, although very different, is similarly alarming. Unsurprisingly Trump accepts a religious viewpoint that tells him he is uniquely awesome. Whatever he has—however he acquired it—God wants him to enjoy to the fullest... This religious position, known as Prosperity Theology...

The arrogance of Trump’s faith can be found in its elevation of the financially successful individual above all others. The rich are rich because God wants them to be so, and he furthermore wants them to enjoy that wealth without qualms or any sense of obligation to others.

Pence’s arrogance leads him to believe that he knows exactly what God wants us all to do and that he ought to force that on us if he has the power to do so. Trump’s faith simply endorses his own self-regard, elevating his personal whims to God’s desires. The political marriage of the two men in obviously one of expedience, given the great disparities in their beliefs and goals. Yet between them, they can do a great deal of damage. Arrogant self-righteousness and egotistical self-regard together wield power over the rest of us.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...-the-white-house_us_58e94a6fe4b06f8c18beec89?

Some men seem to interpret "he cannot be alone with a woman other than his wife" to mean in public; but have no problem being alone in private with a woman other than his wife.

I think most politicians in the USA do their fair share of bible banging. Christianity is the thing here. In Turkey it's the local madman's (Erdogan )interpretation of Islam.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, but in the context of religion...
You don't think "Trumpism" is not a religion? His acolytes behave as if they believe he is some sort of god who can recreate the USA of the 1950s.

I think he's now gaining ground with the centre and left of his party since he bombed Syria. That's how US leaders get popular.

Wow. A thread attributing to fundamental Christianism the rational for a flat lined president. He says he's christian, but, has anyone seen his membership certificatation? As I remember it, having done it five times in different faiths, I attained membership by passing through something resembling catechism. Does he have pictures taken in a Catholic church when he was about 12 showing him holding a candle and a ribbon?

Its like his foreign policy and tax returns MIA.

Wow. A thread attributing to fundamental Christianism the rational for a flat lined president. He says he's christian, but, has anyone seen his membership certificatation? As I remember it, having done it five times in different faiths, I attained membership by passing through something resembling catechism. Does he have pictures taken in a Catholic church when he was about 12 showing him holding a candle and a ribbon?

Damn, Catholics have to go through that shit, just to become a member of the Church? No wonder they are losing adherents. As a Baptist, I just had to hold my breath and let the pastor dunk me in tiny swimming pool (apparently a river will do as well), then I could finally eat the stale little cracker and drink the thimble of grape juice with everyone else.

Damn, Catholics have to go through that shit, just to become a member of the Church? No wonder they are losing adherents. As a Baptist, I just had to hold my breath and let the pastor dunk me in tiny swimming pool (apparently a river will do as well), then I could finally eat the stale little cracker and drink the thimble of grape juice with everyone else.

One of the silver linings to the Catholic churches' strict hierarchical structure. Being a member who has to be deemed 'worthy' of a church organization might raise eyebrows, but it ensures that the people who do join meet a certain level of dedication and adherence to the scripture. This mindset permeates the priesthood as well. Unlike the unruly mob that is American Evangelicalism, the Catholic priesthood doesn't just take in any joe schmoe. To be ordained as a priest requires a professional degree in Theology/Divinity.

Not that any of these things are good or bad, but it's a quality to Catholocism I appreciate. That they take their faith seriously enough to require priests to be formally trained on the subject.

The Huffington Post article seems to focus on a problem of arrogance rather than religiosity.
And someone else being arrogant always bothers self-opinionated, in-your-face, sjw types.

One of the silver linings to the Catholic churches' strict hierarchical structure. Being a member who has to be deemed 'worthy' of a church organization might raise eyebrows, but it ensures that the people who do join meet a certain level of dedication and adherence to the scripture. This mindset permeates the priesthood as well. Unlike the unruly mob that is American Evangelicalism, the Catholic priesthood doesn't just take in any joe schmoe. To be ordained as a priest requires a professional degree in Theology/Divinity.

Not that any of these things are good or bad, but it's a quality to Catholocism I appreciate. That they take their faith seriously enough to require priests to be formally trained on the subject.

Baptists also require that their pastors have a degree from a Seminary, so not much difference there, they just don't care if the rubes can even read, much less pass a test on Baptist theology. So long as they are sitting in the pews, dropping money in the offering plate, and have been dunked by a pastor, they are members.

Baptists also require that their pastors have a degree from a Seminary, so not much difference there, they just don't care if the rubes can even read, much less pass a test on Baptist theology. So long as they are sitting in the pews, dropping money in the offering plate, and have been dunked by a pastor, they are members.

Apologies. Mayhaps I was a bit unfair in calling Evangelicalism an unruly mob, but I really don't have a lot of respect for American Evangelical Christianity as a general subset of Christendom.

Not tribulation, distress, persecution, famine, or nakedness, peril, sword…neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature…

I guess that sounds pretty arrogant.
*shrug*

Apologies. Mayhaps I was a bit unfair in calling Evangelicalism an unruly mob, but I really don't have a lot of respect for American Evangelical Christianity as a general subset of Christendom.

Heh, not a problem. I don't have any respect for any religion, nor any subset of any religion, not even the one that tried to indoctrinate me from birth. I just have more experience with that one, so I know alot about that particular unruly mob.

Heh, not a problem. I don't have any respect for any religion, nor any subset of any religion, not even the one that tried to indoctrinate me from birth. I just have more experience with that one, so I know alot about that particular unruly mob.

'Murrican Evangelicalism panders to the lowest common denominators in terms of education and intelligence. At least that's been my experience...

Back
Top Bottom