• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

As a reminder about the actual anti-Semitism in America

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I tire of loose accusations of anti-Semitism. I understand the left-wing does have some with very loose to reckless concepts on the nation of Israel, but big S anti-Semitism finds it home in the intolerant wing of the conservatives.
link

article said:
Top officials in North Carolina and at the Federal Emergency Management Agency responding to Helene are being subjected to a flurry of antisemitic attacks, causing some of them to fear for their safety as they prepare for another hurricane to strike Florida.

The attacks, which include wild claims that Jewish officials are conspiring to orchestrate the disasters, sabotage the recovery or even seize victims’ property, are being fomented largely on Elon Musk’s X. Antisemitic tropes have commingled on the site with false rumors and conspiracy theories amid the chaos of the recovery effort, according to a report released Tuesday by the nonprofit Institute for Strategic Dialogue (ISD).

article said:
The report noted that antisemitic sentiments were largely directed at three individual officials: FEMA director of public affairs Jaclyn Rothenberg, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas and Asheville, N.C., Mayor Esther Manheimer. Many came from accounts that have also trafficked in other forms of misinformation on X, including false claims about Haitians eating pets in Springfield, Ohio, the war in Ukraine, and the 2020 presidential election.
Of course, the source of this stuff can be from abroad as much as it can be from the US. Certainly, one party is using intolerance and hatred to push an electoral platform. And the owner of Twitter is doing all he can to stoke the fires as well.

I tire of loose accusations of anti-Semitism. I understand the left-wing does have some with very loose to reckless concepts on the nation of Israel, but big S anti-Semitism finds it home in the intolerant wing of the conservatives.
link

article said:
Top officials in North Carolina and at the Federal Emergency Management Agency responding to Helene are being subjected to a flurry of antisemitic attacks, causing some of them to fear for their safety as they prepare for another hurricane to strike Florida.

The attacks, which include wild claims that Jewish officials are conspiring to orchestrate the disasters, sabotage the recovery or even seize victims’ property, are being fomented largely on Elon Musk’s X. Antisemitic tropes have commingled on the site with false rumors and conspiracy theories amid the chaos of the recovery effort, according to a report released Tuesday by the nonprofit Institute for Strategic Dialogue (ISD).

article said:
The report noted that antisemitic sentiments were largely directed at three individual officials: FEMA director of public affairs Jaclyn Rothenberg, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas and Asheville, N.C., Mayor Esther Manheimer. Many came from accounts that have also trafficked in other forms of misinformation on X, including false claims about Haitians eating pets in Springfield, Ohio, the war in Ukraine, and the 2020 presidential election.
Of course, the source of this stuff can be from abroad as much as it can be from the US. Certainly, one party is using intolerance and hatred to push an electoral platform. And the owner of Twitter is doing all he can to stoke the fires as well.
Or in this case, MGT is posting that of course ‘they’ can control the weather.
Yes they can control the weather," the Georgia lawmaker and staunch Donald Trump ally wrote on X, formerly Twitter, on Saturday night. "Anyone who says they don't, or makes fun of this, is lying to you. By the way, the people know it and hate all of you who try to cover it up."

Now if you want to argue that she’s a Russian asset, you’ll get zero argument from me…

IMG_3876.jpeg

I saw a report this morning ( Antisemitic incidents in US surge to record high - report ) that

Reports of antisemitic incidents in the US have reached a record high since last year's Hamas attack in Israel, according to a preliminary report from the Anti-Defamation League Center for Extremism (ADL)....

The group found more than 10,000 incidents from 7 October 2023 to 24 September of this year, more than a 200% increase compared to the same period a year earlier....

The more than 10,000 episodes of antisemitism reported by the ADL included roughly 8,015 incidents of verbal or written harassment, 1,840 incidents of vandalism and 150 incidents of physical assault.....
Part of the overall increase comes from a change in methodology to include "expressions of opposition to Zionism, as well as support for resistance against Israel or Zionists that could be perceived as supporting terrorism", the ADL said.

The ADL's preliminary report tallied more than 3,000 of incidents that took place during anti-Israel rallies "which featured regular explicit expressions of support for terrorist groups", including Hamas and Hezbollah.

Excluding these incidents, the ADL counted 7,523 episodes of antisemitism, a 103% increase from 2022.
I don't think the MTG bs is driven by the conflict in the Middle East. I think it is the more of the "traditional" antisemitism mixed with just plain stupidity. But. it is part of worrying trend.

Last edited:
It comes from both sides these days. Hate of all kinds is becoming very common around the world, including antisemitism. I'm sick and tired of the hatred, regardless of who is hating who. As Rodney King once said, "Why can't we all just get along?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2023/10/31/antisemitism-college-campuses-jewish-hamas-gaza/

Recent days have witnessed what Jewish students and watchdog groups describe as a raft of antisemitic incidents on college campuses. Jewish students at Cooper Union in New York City sheltered in a library as pro-Palestinian demonstrators banged on the glass walls of the building. At a pro-Palestinian protest near Tulane University, at least two students were assaulted in a melee that began when someone tried to burn an Israeli flag. And anonymous posters flooded a Cornell message board with threats, prompting the school’s president to alert the FBI. “If you see a Jewish ‘person’ on campus follow them home and slit their throats,” one message said. Another threatened to “bring an assault rifle to campus and shoot all you pig jews.”

Middle East conflict​

imrs.php

Israeli forces hit an apartment building in Beirut early Monday, the first airstrike within the capital’s city limits since hostilities with Hezbollahescalated this month.

Yes, what Israel is doing is horrific, but does that justify the antisemitism on college campuses these days?
College administrators braced at the start of the Israel-Gaza conflict for an outbreak of antisemitism, Islamophobia, harassment and even violence. Free speech advocates predicted infringements on constitutional rights. Now, as the raid by Hamas against Israeli civilians gives way to wider combat in the region, those fears appear to be coming to fruition. The solemn and peaceable candlelight vigils from earlier this month preceded uglier confrontations, leaving Jewish college students feeling anxious, afraid and unsafe.

Amid what the Biden administration on Monday described as an “alarming rise” of antisemitism on college campuses, some Jewish students say they feel more vulnerable than ever before.Recent days have witnessed what Jewish students and watchdog groups describe as a raft of antisemitic incidents on college campuses. Jewish students at Cooper Union in New York City sheltered in a library as pro-Palestinian demonstrators banged on the glass walls of the building. At a pro-Palestinian protest near Tulane University, at least two students were assaulted in a melee that began when someone tried to burn an Israeli flag. And anonymous posters flooded a Cornell message board with threats, prompting the school’s president to alert the FBI. “If you see a Jewish ‘person’ on campus follow them home and slit their throats,” one message said. Another threatened to “bring an assault rifle to campus and shoot all you pig jews.”

Skip to end of carousel

Middl​

End of carousel​
College administrators braced at the start of the Israel-Gaza conflict for an outbreak of antisemitism, Islamophobia, harassment and even violence. Free speech advocates predicted infringements on constitutional rights. Now, as the raid by Hamas against Israeli civilians gives way to wider combat in the region, those fears appear to be coming to fruition. The solemn and peaceable candlelight vigils from earlier this month preceded uglier confrontations, leaving Jewish college students feeling anxious, afraid and unsafe.

Amid what the Biden administration on Monday described as an “alarming rise” of antisemitism on college campuses, some Jewish students say they feel more vulnerable than ever before.

I am not intending to justify hate crimes, but I have to say Jews have their own set of prejudices and bias.

Certainly not all Jews, a cultural bias resistng marriage outside of the race.

The extreme orthodox Jews in the USA pretty much keep to themselves and do not mix o9utside the group as much as possible.

From some Jews I knew a sense of superiority and arrogance.

Add to it Zionism.

I am not intending to justify hate crimes, but I have to say Jews have their own set of prejudices and bias.

The extreme orthodox Jews in the USA pretty much keep to themselves and do not mix o9utside the group as much as possible.

Add to it Zionism.
And the relevant point of this "whataboutism" is.....?

Add to it Zionism.
You know who else pretty much keeps to themselves? Rich people and no I’m not talking about rich Jewish people. The Amish famously kep to themselves. We have entire parts of cities designated as China Town, Little Italy, Little Korea. Dearborn, MI is predominately Arab. Of course there is or was Spanish Harlem. My town was pretty much divided into the Polish side and the German/Norwegian side until fairly recently. There are neighborhoods that are predominately Catholic or Baptist or black. Nobody opens their mouth about predominately white neighborhoods.

Humans tend to be clannish.

Add to it Zionism.
And the relevant point of this "whataboutism" is.....?
Obviously it’s the ‘Zionism’ part. Because clearly Jews bring anti-semitism on themselves for not wanting to be obliterated.

I'm talking BIG S Anti-Semitism. The Anti-Semitism that involves an obsession with the Jewish in situations where the Jewish aren't even involved! Some people are angry at Israel over the Palestine and Lebanon situations, but at least Israel is involved in those problems. And criticism of Israel's actions isn't proportional to anti-Semitism. That would be direct or implied threats against the Jewish.

But anti-Semitic attacks over the FEMA response to Helene? How does it even get inserted there?

I'm talking BIG S Anti-Semitism. The Anti-Semitism that involves an obsession with the Jewish in situations where the Jewish aren't even involved! Some people are angry at Israel over the Palestine and Lebanon situations, but at least Israel is involved in those problems. And criticism of Israel's actions isn't proportional to anti-Semitism. That would be direct or implied threats against the Jewish.

But anti-Semitic attacks over the FEMA response to Helene? How does it even get inserted there?
Jesus Christ Jimmy, pay attention - Jews control the weather!!!!!!! :eek: So it is their fault Helene hit at all. And adding to insult to injury, people with "Jewish sounding" surnames work for FEMA. :rolleyes:

Teaparty desperation.
Trump and his supporters grasping at straws, trying to stay in power and out of prison.

Had those people had Japanese or African or Hispanic sounding names it wouldn't have been much different. Hispanic names would probably have been worse. But the real issue is that the Biden administration is helping Americans cope with disaster and the Teaparty must lie about that as much as possible.
Tom

Add to it Zionism.
You know who else pretty much keeps to themselves? Rich people and no I’m not talking about rich Jewish people. The Amish famously kep to themselves. We have entire parts of cities designated as China Town, Little Italy, Little Korea. Dearborn, MI is predominately Arab. Of course there is or was Spanish Harlem. My town was pretty much divided into the Polish side and the German/Norwegian side until fairly recently. There are neighborhoods that are predominately Catholic or Baptist or black. Nobody opens their mouth about predominately white neighborhoods.

As an introvert I also tend to keep to myself because there are so many ridiculously stupid people.

It’s all big S anti-Semitic. There is no other kind. Just as there is no little bit Nazi or little bit homophobic or little fascist.

There are people who need to assign all manner of evil to some other group in order to feel ok about themselves.

Abd there are those who exploit these people for profit and for power.

As a person whose step siblings and a large fraction of my extended family are Jewish, I have to say that this is not my experience at all.

Jews (like any sane person) have a cultural bias against marrying people who hate them. So to the extent that Christians and Muslims are taught to hate Jews, Jews will be disinclined to seek marriage partners from those religions.

One thing I remember from the Muslims I knew at the Bloomington mosque.

I often heard some variation on "I like being a Muslim here in America. We have freedom of religion. I can practice Islam the way I think it should be practiced. There aren't any religious police or imams telling me how I must do it."
Tom

Add to it Zionism.

At least with things like Chinatowns it's a big help for immigrants who don't speak much English.

Support for anti-Israel terrorists among the left are also actual antisemitism.
Flagscopy_278270.jpg

As are threats of violence. This guy from the land of the Knucklehead does not look very MAGA to me.
jaden-leblanc-mug-cropped.jpg

Charges filed against man accused of threatening Minneapolis synagogue
At least the sections you quoted do not support the contention that these people are conservatives. And in any case, I think waving Hamas and Hezbollah flags etc. and making threats against synagogues is far more serious than running your keyboard on X.

As a person whose step siblings and a large fraction of my extended family are Jewish, I have to say that this is not my experience at all.

Jews (like any sane person) have a cultural bias against marrying people who hate them. So to the extent that Christians and Muslims are taught to hate Jews, Jews will be disinclined to seek marriage partners from those religions.
More generally--major religious differences are pretty much a dealbreaker in romantic situations. Even without hate it's going to cause problems.

Add to it Zionism.

At least with things like Chinatowns it's a big help for immigrants who don't speak much English.
It’s a big help for many communities that form around a shared language, culture, religion, etc. at a certain point, these communities can also hinder assimilation into the US. Prime example: language acquisition. It’s much easier to avoid learning English if you spend most of your time living with and around people who speak your first language. Which in turn also limits ability to progress in education and careers.

I see these communities as mostly good but also as having some potential detrimental effects.

Back
Top Bottom