• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

As Search For Sub Gone Missing, Writers At The Onion Struggle For Decency

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
CHICAGO, IL -- Many in America and Europe are desperately hoping that the small tourism submarine that went missing is found before it is estimated the people on board will run out of air. However, in offices in Illinois, writers for The Onion are desperately trying to maintain the grasp on decency and good taste.

While the families of those on the sub are struggling with the disspair of not knowing what the fate of their loved ones are, many writers are struggling with not putting to paper the funny, but terribly inappropriate thoughts they have had come to mind during this tragic incident.

"People never think about us," noted Tom Abrams, a lead editor with The Onion. "People are always thinking about the victims or their families, but they never think of us."

The untold story in some disasters is that of the comic writer. People who are paid to find humor where it isn't as obvious. While certain circumstances like the mass murder at Sandy Hook make coming up with humor impossible, the recent tourism sub incident doesn't make things as easy.

"The first thing that comes to mind is Subway," stated Calum Inderi, a writer at The Onion for the last three years. "It is a reflex, but you think, can I link in a $5 foot long joke in here. The info coming out regarding how cheap the sub was, just makes the Subway store related humor all the more plausible. But you try to stop, but then you can't. It becomes very emotional and difficult when you are staring at a computer monitor, laughing about the plight of people lost at sea."

The possible avenues for jokes can be endless, especially when an incident occurs that is adjacent to comedy. Seamen, Subway, the cheapness of the tourist sub, the nearly predicted outcome for the ship, the $250,000 cost to ride, prime numbers verses Fibonacci seriesbeing better for periodic hammering of the hull, all provide avenues of uproarious laughter in a time of solace.

"I'm usually at the therapists around times like these," said Abrams. "The therapist laughing at the jokes makes me feel better that I'm not a bad human being, but that only goes so far. I'm usually crying in tears of laughter and pain when reviewing the photoshops."

Last edited:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/expedition-unknown-host-canceled-oceangate-215056058.html

“Expedition Unknown” host Josh Gates considered dedicating an episode of his Discovery Plus docuseries to the mysteries of the sunken Titanic but after trying out the OceanGate’s Titan sub decided to pass..."

Good for him!
96e340bded8f339915959d3b7548fc9f

This is what I'm saying. Sandy Hook, not funny! Five people dead in a small cheap sub they paid $250k to die on? People can't help themselves. I'm certainly hoping they had a quick or unnoticeable passing and aren't trying to make peace with dying at the moment because even if they are found now, it is too late. People should go to prison over this!

But I have to click *like* on the Air Supply joke.

We’re not going to risk more lives trying to save them. Robotics maybe, but it’s too late. It was too late two days ago. I fear that their deaths were not instantaneously, but were slow and they knew it was coming. I read something that the noises they heard clearly came from the sub. I can’t imagine the horror of what they experienced.

Submarining is safe as long as you remember one thing: it’s fucking dangerous. - Chester Nimitz.

The issue on the sub would be the people and their natural ability to manage stress (not good). The regret and acceptance would be one thing, but the anger and denial, panic, and all the people going through it in different ways, creating an absolute mess, in quarters that are too damn small to die in a group. Hungry, cold, depressed, angry, probably in the dark.

And here I am, wishing it was the Trump family, everyone but Barron. I mean how suitable would that have been!

Reactions: SLD
Either it was instantaneous and painless, or slow, horrible and very bad smelling. Hard to say which is more appropriate for billionaires.

Isn't that the old joke?

What do you call five billionaires at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.

My favorite joke about submarines: what does a submarine look like to a sardine?

A can of people.

One thing about the slow end. Since the CEO and guy who decided they didn't need to worry about safety was on board, that means the people his incompetency killed had at least a day to make their displeasure known to him.

As they are descending and the hull sounds very stressed, he calms them down while piloting with the video game controller, by saying "don't worry, I've got plenty of power-ups". "Now where is that mushroom... does anyone see a mushroom?!"

Back
Top Bottom