• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Author Salmon Rushdie Attacked In New York

Quick somebody, blame white racism and colonialism.

Eldarion Lathria
Why? I don't get it.
Because the the guilt wallowers always blame white racism and colonialism for everything.

Eldarion Lathria
Then why does "somebody" need you to speak for them? Anyone who knows anything about Salman Rushdie has a pretty strong hypothesis as to why this stabbing happened, and it has little to do with what you've written here. Unless you want to start a conversation about the circumstances that created present Iranian state.

Because the the guilt wallowers always blame white racism and colonialism for everything.

Eldarion Lathria
The problem I'm having interpreting your post is that it's vague.

It might have been a throw away bit of sarcasm.

It also might be a reference to the last ~70 years of Iranian history.

I dunno.
Tom

In that case some guilt wallower will presently blame the stabbing on white racism and colonialism.
It's a stretch, long and indirect, but it can be done.

In the early 50s, western powers toppled the elected government of Iran. They replaced it with a weak puppet king, Shah Pahlavi. He wound up so hated, due to his connections to the USA(aka Great Satan) that a religious extremist took power. Our ongoing efforts to defeat the Iranian government resulted in some hardcore policies.
Such as that fatwa.
Tom

"Salman Rushdie was taken off a ventilator and is now able to talk after the acclaimed writer was stabbed as he prepared to give a lecture in New York state. Rushdie, 75, remained hospitalized with serious injuries on Sunday but fellow author Aatish Taseer tweeted he was “off the ventilator and talking [and joking]”.

In that case some guilt wallower will presently blame the stabbing on white racism and colonialism.

In the early 50s, western powers toppled the elected government of Iran. They replaced it with a weak puppet king, Shah Pahlavi. He wound up so hated, due to his connections to the USA(aka Great Satan) that a religious extremist took power. Our ongoing efforts to defeat the Iranian government resulted in some hardcore policies.
Such as that fatwa.
Tom

That's absolutely true. You may even be underplaying somewhat the skeeviness of our involvement in Iran, and the violent history we have willingly participated in since - several attempts at coup, assassinating their leaders, bombing passenger airlines without cause - but that hardly excuses all the actions of the Khomeinist regime, and I don't know any leftists who take an unqualified pro-Iran stance. Acknowledging our role in helping to create a human rights disaster does not mean absolving the other parties involved for their own guilt. While conservative thinking requires a "good guy" and "bad guy" in every situation of disagreement, liberal thinking is more expansive in nature, and allows for the possibility that two groups can both be wrong at the same time, without contradiction. In short, the idea that liberals in general favor violent religious theocracy as long as its Muslim* is a fantasy of the conservative media, and has never existed as a real political position.

*Literally heard a radio commentator make this very claim on KSFO 560, just this morning, also in relation to this attack... I'm still :rolleyes:ing.

Such as that fatwa.
Tom

That's absolutely true. You may even be underplaying somewhat the skeeviness of our involvement in Iran, and the violent history we have willingly participated in since - several attempts at coup, assassinating their leaders, bombing passenger airlines without cause - but that hardly excuses all the actions of the Khomeinist regime, and I don't know any leftists who take an unqualified pro-Iran stance. Acknowledging our role in helping to create a human rights disaster does not mean absolving the other parties involved for their own guilt. While conservative thinking requires a "good guy" and "bad guy" in every situation of disagreement, liberal thinking is more expansive in nature, and allows for the possibility that two groups can both be wrong at the same time, without contradiction. In short, the idea that liberals in general favor violent religious theocracy as long as its Muslim* is a fantasy of the conservative media, and has never existed as a real political position.

*Literally heard a radio commentator make this very claim on KSFO 560, just this morning, also in relation to this attack... I'm still :rolleyes:ing.
You and Tom are both mean Guilt Wallowers!

... a weak puppet king, Shah Pahlavi. He wound up so hated, due to his connections to the USA(aka Great Satan) ...
I got the impression it was more the other way around -- the USA wound up the hated Great Satan due to our connections to the Shah. The Shah was quite able to wind up hated all by himself.

The Simpsons nailed it:

Ruhollah_Khomeini.png

Surprised though that "assaholla" got through censors in 1996.

يوزن يوم القيامة مداد العلماء ودم الشهداء فيرجح مداد العلماء على دم الشهداء

"The ink of the scholar is more precious than the blood of the martyr", as goes an apocryphal saying of the Prophet himself.

Consider: in a centuries' time, both the author Salman Rushdie and the coward Hadi Matar will surely be dead, but one will live on in his written works - The Satanic Verses will no doubt still be in reprint at that time - and the other's name will be forgotten to all but a few historians, literary nerds, and jihaadis.

Back
Top Bottom