• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

B Theory of time

Nah, you're just a self-deluded Dunning-Kruger case. ;)

Still, it's certainly very convenient. Whenever you don't know how to argue your case, you call the other guy a bad case of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Works for some. :(

grease monkeys who get paid to fix things.

Oops, you've just taken the slippery end of things there.

Oh boy, some people are extremely sensitive.

I would have told you. We seem to have the same brother. :D
EB

I retract the grease monkeys comment! That was not nice.

I may well be a wee tad deluded, but I do know my sh.t. That being said, even from the age of fifteen I was enamoured of the beautiful poets who died so young, there are so many: Chatterton at 17, suicide; Keats at 25, TB, Shelley, 29, drowned (he had obviously pissed off Jehovah!), Wilfred Owen, Keats' avatar in WWI, shot dead at 25, Sidney, dead of a wound received in battle at 31; Rupert Brooke, dead from disease incurred while in service, at 27; Alan Seeger, killed in battle, Keith Douglas, killed in battle, etc...and that's just English language poets.

I have lived far too long. In the words of the great Celt, Robert Plant, "It's time for me to go...the autumn moon lights my way..."

I may well be a wee tad deluded, but I do know my sh.t. That being said, even from the age of fifteen I was enamoured of the beautiful poets who died so young, there are so many: Chatterton at 17, suicide; Keats at 25, TB, Shelley, 29, drowned (he had obviously pissed off Jehovah!), Wilfred Owen, Keats' avatar in WWI, shot dead at 25, Sidney, dead of a wound received in battle at 31; Rupert Brooke, dead from disease incurred while in service, at 27; Alan Seeger, killed in battle, Keith Douglas, killed in battle, etc...and that's just English language poets.

I have lived far too long. In the words of the great Celt, Robert Plant, "It's time for me to go...the autumn moon lights my way..."

Just think of all those French poets you haven't read!!! :p
EB

Just think of all those French poets you haven't read!!! :p
EB

Hey now wait a minute, hold on right there.

I admit, I've only read them through translations, but I've read the amazing Baudelaire, the incredibly "fuc.k-you" polite society Rimbaud, who stopped writing poetry as a young man and wandered around as a vagabond, Verlaine, who I think took a shot at his beloved Rimbaud, albeit he denied that the two were getting busy, the amazing Villon, who I believe did his best schtick right before he was to be executed, and let us not forget the completely whackadoodle Antonin Artaud, who inspired James Morrison, a sadly neglected American shaman/poet.

I've also read Proust, Balzac, Flaubert, Hugo, and a bunch of other Frenchies. I've also mastered the villanelle, an extremely difficult form, which you may prove to yourself by visiting my bloggie (accessible via the drop down menu), originally an Italian form taken over by those hi-falutin' Frenchies.

So, as the great John Cleese would say, "I fffffffffffharrrrt in your genilil direction!"

To use your favorite emoticon:

:tongue:

ETA: this calls for the whole French taunting scene:

You're not even making sense.
EB

I think I'm in sympathy, EB. This Dunning-Kruger effect is just another means for closet classists and intellectual elitists to pat themselves on the back.

Pray ye, pay it no attention. Not that there is no truth in it. My brother is a retired high-tech machinist who thinks everyone should be able to work on complex machines. He hates it that I can't even change a tire, and he gets even more steamed when I tell him I don't even fucking care to learn. I tell him: That's why there are places called auto repair shops, and grease monkeys who get paid to fix things.

I think it is quite possible that you misunderstood. The problem is not in that someone does not understand relativity. Few do and even fewer have a deep appreciation for all its ramifications. I certainly don't have that deep appreciation though I am capable of working through the theory.

The problem is more one of philosophical methodology. It is much worse than poor philosophy to use, as a basic assumption on which to base a philosophical conclusion, a complete misunderstanding of reality - especially since that reality is readily available to anyone who would seek it.

You're not even making sense.
EB

I think I'm in sympathy, EB. This Dunning-Kruger effect is just another means for closet classists and intellectual elitists to pat themselves on the back.

Pray ye, pay it no attention. Not that there is no truth in it. My brother is a retired high-tech machinist who thinks everyone should be able to work on complex machines. He hates it that I can't even change a tire, and he gets even more steamed when I tell him I don't even fucking care to learn. I tell him: That's why there are places called auto repair shops, and grease monkeys who get paid to fix things.

I think it is quite possible that you misunderstood. The problem is not in that someone does not understand relativity. Few do and even fewer have a deep appreciation for all its ramifications. I certainly don't have that deep appreciation though I am capable of working through the theory.

The problem is more one of philosophical methodology. It is much worse than poor philosophy to use, as a basic assumption on which to base a philosophical conclusion, a complete misunderstanding of reality - especially since that reality is readily available to anyone who would seek it.

Of course it's possible I misunderstood.

Back
Top Bottom