• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

BB Theory - Popular Myth Or Scientific Fact

This is not entirely off topic I hope. It’s a Simons Foundation lecture by the physicist* Paul Steinhardt called “Time to take the ‘Big Bang’ out of the Big Bang theory.

It’s 54 minutes but well worth the time I believe. He thinks that Expansion is an ad hoc mathematical bit of trickery (my words) that can be done away with if one postulates a cyclical universe, which he lays the mathematical groundwork for. At least that’s my impression (I’m no physicist, much less mathematician). I’d like to hear opinions on this, from those who care to take the time.

*Albert Einstein Professor in Science, Professor of Physics, Princeton University
I made a serious mistake in summarizing Professor Steinhardt's views. He does NOT challenge the expansion of the universe. It's the inflation aspect that he challenges and proposes a different mechanism for.

I hope that clarification will spur some re-examination of the video. I apologize for any confusion.

This is not entirely off topic I hope. It’s a Simons Foundation lecture by the physicist* Paul Steinhardt called “Time to take the ‘Big Bang’ out of the Big Bang theory.

It’s 54 minutes but well worth the time I believe. He thinks that Expansion is an ad hoc mathematical bit of trickery (my words) that can be done away with if one postulates a cyclical universe, which he lays the mathematical groundwork for. At least that’s my impression (I’m no physicist, much less mathematician). I’d like to hear opinions on this, from those who care to take the time.

*Albert Einstein Professor in Science, Professor of Physics, Princeton University
I made a serious mistake in summarizing Professor Steinhardt's views. He does NOT challenge the expansion of the universe. It's the inflation aspect that he challenges and proposes a different mechanism for.

I hope that clarification will spur some re-examination of the video. I apologize for any confusion.
Yes. That makes a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom