• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Beat Unknown Soldier at his own game of math.

Unknown Soldier

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Truth Seeker
Here's a somewhat challenging math quiz. If any of you self-proclaimed math experts can get the right answers, then you will have proved your previous boasts that you are at least as good as I am at mathematics. Feel free to us computers, calculators, and online resources to get your answers--just don't use another person.

I. Lets set A = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} and set B = {4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10}. Find the symmetric difference A ∆ B.

II. You poll ten people who drink cola asking each if they like Pepsi and dislike Coke, like Coke and dislike Pepsi, and possibly like both Pepsi and Coke. If 3 people like Pepsi and dislike Coke, and 4 people like Coke and dislike Pepsi, then how many of the ten people like Coke and Pepsi?

III. If x is any real number and a, b, and c are real numbers where f(x) = ax2+ bx + c and f(1) = 1, f(2) = 1, and f(4) = 3, then find the values of a, b, and c.

IV. If x is any real number, and g(x) = 2sin(3x), then find the area under the curve of g(x) and above the x-axis over the interval 0 ≤ x ≤ π. Also, find the equation of the tangent line to the curve of g(x) when x = π/6.

V. Let A be the square matrix
y 2
3 x
What real values of x and y will result in matrix A having a determinant equal to 4?

VI. If a and b are both positive real numbers, then prove that a/b + b/a ≥ 2.

VII. Prove if arbitrary n ∈ N = {0, 1, 2, ... }, then 2 | n2+ n.

Another desecrate cry for attention and self affirmation.

US seeks recognition he is a mathematician.

My kind of logic puzzle is my last post in the programming thread.

Perhaps you could chnge it from 2d to 3d for me. Beat me at my own game......

Why do we feel the need for a pissing competition at IIDB?
You are alwys free to put me on ignore if you do not like what I say. Said without prejudice or malice.

Here's a somewhat challenging math quiz. If any of you self-proclaimed math experts can get the right answers, then you will have proved your previous boasts that you are at least as good as I am at mathematics. Feel free to us computers, calculators, and online resources to get your answers--just don't use another person.

I. Lets set A = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} and set B = {4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10}. Find the symmetric difference A ∆ B.

II. You poll ten people who drink cola asking each if they like Pepsi and dislike Coke, like Coke and dislike Pepsi, and possibly like both Pepsi and Coke. If 3 people like Pepsi and dislike Coke, and 4 people like Coke and dislike Pepsi, then how many of the ten people like Coke and Pepsi?

III. If x is any real number and a, b, and c are real numbers where f(x) = ax2+ bx + c and f(1) = 1, f(2) = 1, and f(4) = 3, then find the values of a, b, and c.

IV. If x is any real number, and g(x) = 2sin(3x), then find the area under the curve of g(x) and above the x-axis over the interval 0 ≤ x ≤ π. Also, find the equation of the tangent line to the curve of g(x) when x = π/6.

y 2
3 x
What real values of x and y will result in matrix A having a determinant equal to 4?

Seriously your mathematical problem statement is incomprehensible.

Here is one,

You have $10.00 total.
You have 3 $1 bills.
You have 5 quarters.
You have 8 nickles,
You have 2 dimes.

How would you algebraically find how many pennies and additional nickels would you need you have to equal $$10.00? In equation form.

Here's a somewhat challenging math quiz.

None of these problems are of interest or challenge to any "math expert," self-proclaimed or otherwise, but VI is somewhat nifty: This fact follows directly from the fact that the square of a real number is never negative.

(a - b)2 ≥ 0
a2 + b2 - 2ab ≥ 0
a2 + b2 ≥ 2ab
(a2 + b2) / ab ≥ 2 . . . . . . . # Note that ab > 0
a2/ab + b2/ab ≥ 2
a/b + b/a ≥ 2
QED.

None of these problems are of interest or challenge to any "math expert," self-proclaimed or otherwise, but VI is somewhat nifty: This fact follows directly from the fact that the square of a real number is never negative.

(a - b)2 ≥ 0
a2 + b2 - 2ab ≥ 0
a2 + b2 ≥ 2ab
a2/ab + b2/ab ≥ 2
a/b + b/a ≥ 2
QED.
Excellent! That's exactly right. How about the other problems?

(a - b)2 ≥ 0
a2 + b2 - 2ab ≥ 0
a2 + b2 ≥ 2ab
a2/ab + b2/ab ≥ 2
a/b + b/a ≥ 2
QED.
Excellent! That's exactly right. How about the other problems?
But what does that prove to you? Did Swammerdami just figure that out on their own? Did they know of the proof already? Why is this proof even of interest?

As a physicist, I consider math a tool. I am interested in some of the pure math niftyness but I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. If I need it for my work I will depend on mathematicians to have figured it out already.

I can offer hints if you think they would help. If you're lost, then please admit it.

And in any case, if you're rude to me, then I will ignore your posts.
Here is one,

You have $10.00 total.
You have 3 $1 bills.
You have 5 quarters.
You have 8 nickles,
You have 2 dimes.

How would you algebraically find how many pennies and additional nickels would you need you have to equal $$10.00? In equation form.
I will post my answer to this problem if you explain that you cannot complete the problems in the OP.

As a physicist, I consider math a tool. I am interested in some of the pure math niftyness but I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. If I need it for my work I will depend on mathematicians to have figured it out already.
If that's true, then you should have no difficulty figuring out IV and V. All you need is knowledge of basic calculus and linear algebra, respectively.

If US is an expert in linear algebra show how to solve this simple problem using matrices.

x + 2y = 10
2x + 3y = 18

The solution is obvious from simple inspection. How using matrices and linear algebra wold yiu solve it? ... without looking it up on the net. Trivial stuff in engineering and science. More like high school algebra.

Show your work, partial credit will be given.

Then solve

(3xy) + (2xy) = 20
x^2 + y^2 = 16

Show the process of a solution. A tpyical kind of an engineering problem. This one should be easy for a mathematician.

There is a common way to solve it.

If you can not then I'll say you are beaten at your own game.

Please no hints from the peanut gallery,

Oops

Should be

(3xy) + (2xy) = 20
x^2 + y^2 = 8

If that's true, then you should have no difficulty figuring out IV and V. All you need is knowledge of basic calculus and linear algebra, respectively.
Maybe I could. I just don’t care to.

One form of the definition is (A-B) U (B-A).
Assumes incorrectly those are the only colas.
a+b+c=1
4a+2b+c=1
9a+3b+c=3
Area = G(pi)-G(0) with G(x)=-2 cos 3x / 3
(y-2 sin 3pi/6)/(x-pi/6) = 6cos 3x
y 2
3 x
xy-6=4 iff xy=10
a, b both positive or both negative -> x=a/b >0 and x+1/x ≥ 2 -> x^2-2x+1 ≥ 0 -> (x-1)^2≥0, corollary ab<0 then a/b+b/a ≤2
if n≠0 mod 2, then n+1=0 mod 2 for all n in Z.

These are beyond trivial.

Try some real math. Prove any group of prime order is cyclic.

If US is an expert in linear algebra show how to solve this simple problem using matrices.

x + 2y = 10
2x + 3y = 18
(x | y) = (1 2 | 2 3 )^-1 (10 | 18)
The solution is obvious from simple inspection. How using matrices and linear algebra wold yiu solve it? ... without looking it up on the net. Trivial stuff in engineering and science. More like high school algebra.

Show your work, partial credit will be given.

Then solve

(3xy) + (2xy) = 20
x^2 + y^2 = 16
xy=4 -> 2xy=8 -> (x+y)^2=8 -> x+y = ±2√2
Show the process of a solution. A tpyical kind of an engineering problem. This one should be easy for a mathematician.

There is a common way to solve it.

If you can not then I'll say you are beaten at your own game.

Please no hints from the peanut gallery,
I was bored.

y 2
3 x

Here is one,

You have $10.00 total.
You have 3 $1 bills.
You have 5 quarters.
You have 8 nickles,
You have 2 dimes.

Ill-formed. 3+1.25+.40+.20 ≠ 10

Here's one for you.

Find the generating function that counts how many ways $10 can be made up from dollar bills, quarters, nickels, and dimes.

x + 2y = 10
2x + 3y = 18
Using the Desmos online graphing calculator, I get x = 6, y = 2.
(3xy) + (2xy) = 20
x^2 + y^2 = 8
Using the Desmos online graphing calculator, I get x = y = 2, and x = y = -2.

Would you prefer if I work these out manually?
That was the idea. You loose......as I asked, work the first problem using matrices. Linear Algebra 101. You obviously don't even understand the question.

And then the second problem.

I used math tools extensively. My 'calculators' were Matlab, Scilab, and Mathcad. To use them intelligently I had yo know how the math worked, not be an expert.

I like the Penne and Teller TV show Fool Us. Magcians try to fool Penne and Teller with magic tricks. Hard to do with ther combined experince md knowledge of magic.

You are not fooling anyone here.

Back
Top Bottom