• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Bernie Sanders' Revolution a drifting derelict afloat in a crooked Democratic Party

arkirk

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
atheist/agnostic
This morning I heard on Pacifica an interview between Sanders and a guy from the Nation. He has been lying low and writing a book..."Our Revolution." This book will be out very soon and pretends it will be possible for Democrats to work with Hillary Clinton after she gets elected. I say pretends because if Hillary had wanted to work a Progressive agenda she would not have Kane on board or Wasserman Shultz. I think he is not seeing clearly. They have just cheated him out of a nomination, and he thinks they will work with him and his compromised followers when they have no reason to. On the other hand, Sanders has nothing in terms of respect and solidarity with Jill Stein who has the most PROGRESSIVE policy and platform in this election. Sanders still doesn't get it. He should not be throwing his and his follower's lot in with Clinton and Shultz...and Kissinger and papa Bush, etc. He will be just a low power player in a high power game and will double your disappointment...and I can only surmise his own. I know his intent may be good, but what he is doing is a gross mistake. He is just alienating good people who know better than to trust Clinton and Kane.:thinking:

This morning I heard on Pacifica an interview between Sanders and a guy from the Nation. He has been lying low and writing a book..."Our Revolution." This book will be out very soon and pretends it will be possible for Democrats to work with Hillary Clinton after she gets elected. I say pretends because if Hillary had wanted to work a Progressive agenda she would not have Kane on board or Wasserman Shultz. I think he is not seeing clearly. They have just cheated him out of a nomination, and he thinks they will work with him and his compromised followers when they have no reason to. On the other hand, Sanders has nothing in terms of respect and solidarity with Jill Stein who has the most PROGRESSIVE policy and platform in this election. Sanders still doesn't get it. He should not be throwing his and his follower's lot in with Clinton and Shultz...and Kissinger and papa Bush, etc. He will be just a low power player in a high power game and will double your disappointment...and I can only surmise his own. I know his intent may be good, but what he is doing is a gross mistake. He is just alienating good people who know better than to trust Clinton and Kane.:thinking:

Sanders doesn't believe in the powers of crystals.

In all seriousness, I think that Sanders has really improved his standings since the primaries. He has shown himself to be one who cares more about his country than his narrow base.

The Greens and Jill Stein are irrelevant. The Greens can't do more than elect the occasional local level position, and have no chance of electing a Senator or Representative. Much less a president. Ralph Nader ran twice too establish the Greens as a viable national party and failed. Even if one has sympathy with the Greens and their political positions, they simply don't really matter where it counts.

So it is obvious why Sanders aims to work to get his supporters to work with the Democrats.

What is going on with Sanders isn't about third parties or Henry Kissinger. I think to get as much of the party platform as he did to go progressive, he made a deal with the Clintons. They will most likely break that deal as soon as they can. But Bernie won't. He will do everything he said he would because he knows the rules of the playground and no good kid wants to a outed as a fink.

Bitter...table for one. Bitter?

I think it says all you need to know about Bernie that he's decided to lay low and write a book. When he exited the race, he forcefully stated how important it was to keep Donald Trump from being elected. How does Bernie help? Does he campaign for the Democratic nominee? Does he rally his supporters? Does he use his massive grass roots support to help the cause?

Nope. He lays low and starts writing a book. Something he could very easily have put off until November 9th.

Is it possible for Democrats to work with Hillary Clinton after she gets elected? Of course. Unlike Bernie, she actually IS a Democrat. As for this notion that Sanders was cheated out of the nomination, I'd say you are the one who is not thinking clearly. In a way, Sanders tried to steal the nomination of the Democratic Party. He only became a Democrat when it was convenient, ran against the establishment of the party, and when he lost (due to a deficit of over 3 million votes, not cheating) he took his ball and went home. As for Stein, no amount of respect and solidarity will change the fact that she has a snowball's chance in Hell of winning anything other than the nomination of the Green Party and maybe a few bucks on a scratch off lottery ticket.

Sanders absolutely should throw his and his followers lot in with Clinton, because aside from the obviously important goal of keeping Trump out of the White House, the fact of the matter is that Clinton is - while herself a centrist - sympathetic to progressive causes in a way that no Republican will ever be.

The system is thoroughly corrupted.

But the only real power is within the system. Unless one is planning revolution.

So Bernie had a choice.

Lead a bloody revolution that would be put down in three minutes or try to work within the system.

The ideas expressed by Sanders were the best ideas in the whole campaign on either side.

Yet some think because the Clinton machine won in a corrupted system that means her ideas were better.

Bitter...table for one. Bitter?

I think it says all you need to know about Bernie that he's decided to lay low and write a book. When he exited the race, he forcefully stated how important it was to keep Donald Trump from being elected. How does Bernie help? Does he campaign for the Democratic nominee? Does he rally his supporters? Does he use his massive grass roots support to help the cause?

Nope. He lays low and starts writing a book. Something he could very easily have put off until November 9th.

Is it possible for Democrats to work with Hillary Clinton after she gets elected? Of course. Unlike Bernie, she actually IS a Democrat. As for this notion that Sanders was cheated out of the nomination, I'd say you are the one who is not thinking clearly. In a way, Sanders tried to steal the nomination of the Democratic Party. He only became a Democrat when it was convenient, ran against the establishment of the party, and when he lost (due to a deficit of over 3 million votes, not cheating) he took his ball and went home. As for Stein, no amount of respect and solidarity will change the fact that she has a snowball's chance in Hell of winning anything other than the nomination of the Green Party and maybe a few bucks on a scratch off lottery ticket.

Sanders absolutely should throw his and his followers lot in with Clinton, because aside from the obviously important goal of keeping Trump out of the White House, the fact of the matter is that Clinton is - while herself a centrist - sympathetic to progressive causes in a way that no Republican will ever be.

Man you anti-Sanders folks have a seriously strong case of derangement.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/1...aign-for-hillary-clinton-in-denver-on-sunday/
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...-sanders-stumps-hillary-clinton-msu/91691616/
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/29/us/politics/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton.html

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/XueAle2ILTk?t=39m[/YOUTUBE]

What a morally depraved geezer, lock him up and throw away the key :rolleyes:

Nope. He lays low and starts writing a book. Something he could very easily have put off until November 9th...

...Sanders absolutely should throw his and his followers lot in with Clinton, because aside from the obviously important goal of keeping Trump out of the White House, the fact of the matter is that Clinton is - while herself a centrist - sympathetic to progressive causes in a way that no Republican will ever be.

Sen. Bernie Sanders will appear in Seattle Saturday to headline a campaign for 7th Congressional District candidate Pramila Jayapal.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders will host a get-out-the-vote rally Monday afternoon at Colorado State University.

Former presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders returned to the Bay Area Saturday with his intentions set on spurring California voters to support a hotly-debated and spending-soaked proposition on the November ballot.

Despite how Arkirk characterizes what he says he heard on the radio, Bernie Sanders does not appear to be "laying low". The first three google hits show that Bernie Sanders has three rallies just this weekend in the NW US. The fact that Arkirk says he heard him "this morning... on Pacifica" means that Bernie Sanders was out doing interviews "this morning".

I don't doubt that Bernie Sanders is writing a book, and I don't doubt he is going to promote it any chance he gets. That doesn't mean he is sitting out this election. Very much to the contrary.

Nope. He lays low and starts writing a book. Something he could very easily have put off until November 9th...

...Sanders absolutely should throw his and his followers lot in with Clinton, because aside from the obviously important goal of keeping Trump out of the White House, the fact of the matter is that Clinton is - while herself a centrist - sympathetic to progressive causes in a way that no Republican will ever be.

Sen. Bernie Sanders will appear in Seattle Saturday to headline a campaign for 7th Congressional District candidate Pramila Jayapal.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders will host a get-out-the-vote rally Monday afternoon at Colorado State University.

Former presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders returned to the Bay Area Saturday with his intentions set on spurring California voters to support a hotly-debated and spending-soaked proposition on the November ballot.

Despite how Arkirk characterizes what he says he heard on the radio, Bernie Sanders does not appear to be "laying low". The first three google hits show that Bernie Sanders has three rallies just this weekend in the NW US. The fact that Arkirk says he heard him "this morning... on Pacifica" means that Bernie Sanders was out doing interviews "this morning".

I don't doubt that Bernie Sanders is writing a book, and I don't doubt he is going to promote it any chance he gets. That doesn't mean he is sitting out this election. Very much to the contrary.

Bernie is back to doing the things Bernie always did

Bernie Sanders pledges ‘end of the exploitation of Native American people’ in fight against Dakota pipeline

Oh for crying out loud! Indians are not being "exploited" because a pipeline is supposed to run close to their reservations, even if they invent bogus claims of the ground being "sacred" (which is a common tactic for Indians whenever there is proposed development they don't like - it's NIMBYism with faux-spiritual veneer). Really disappointed in Sanders on that one. What about the little guy who works construction or maintenance on pipelines? What about the little guy who can ill afford gas prices at pre-shale-revolution levels? What about the little guy who is relying on public services that may be cut if tax revenues from domestic oil production are reduced because of concerted anti-shale effort of the radical left?
It seems Bernie has succumbed to leftist fad du jour (supported by limousine liberals like Tim Steyer or the Hollywood glitterati like Shailene Woodley and Susan Serandon) instead of standing up for the little guy.

I think that what Sanders is doing is perfectly logical. Whatever influence that he will have with a Clinton administration will be much greater than he would have with a Trump administration. And he will have more influence with a Clinton administration if he supports her now against Trump than if he supported Trump by default by continuing to oppose Clinton.

You have to accept that the country is overwhelmingly conservative, extending even to the Democratic Party. In no small part this is because of the failure of liberals and progressives to ofter anything other than racism and culturalism as reasons to change.

The nation needs a Democratic Party and a Republican Party that moves to the left toward meeting the needs of the vast majority of Americans and away from the single minded attention to serve the desires of only the rich. Bernie Sanders provides a part of the answer, at least for the Democrats. But only if he and his followers provide some value to the Democrats, which they wouldn't do if they abandon the party.

Oh for crying out loud! Indians are not being "exploited" because a pipeline is supposed to run close to their reservations, even if they invent bogus claims of the ground being "sacred" (which is a common tactic for Indians whenever there is proposed development they don't like - it's NIMBYism with faux-spiritual veneer).

Guess you forgot who was here first. Typical.

Democrat or Republican, which is closer to your political views? Pick one.

Republicans don't have political views.

They have money making schemes.

Their money and keeping it is their only concern.

And the rest of humanity can be damned.

Pick neither. Break the 2 party system.

You don't want a Trump presidency, I get that. But do you really want a Hillary presidency with a giant mandate having won in a landslide? No. She needs to know she's on thin ice as liberals rally around the Green party or some other 3rd party. Only then will Bernie be listened to. It is a delicate balance (you don't want Trump to win) but it is an important one. Hillary winning in a landslide and having a huge mandate to do whatever she wants will only further corruption and oligarchy in your country.

Pick neither. Break the 2 party system.

You don't want a Trump presidency, I get that. But do you really want a Hillary presidency with a giant mandate having won in a landslide? No. She needs to know she's on thin ice as liberals rally around the Green party or some other 3rd party. Only then will Bernie be listened to. It is a delicate balance (you don't want Trump to win) but it is an important one. Hillary winning in a landslide and having a huge mandate to do whatever she wants will only further corruption and oligarchy in your country.

You can't break the 2 party system in the United States without restructuring how the election system works in the US. If you want more Bernie type Democrats you have to put candidates to you liking in Democratic primaries and support them, from the bottom up. This is not something you're going to get overnight but something you'll have to work for over a generation, maybe longer.

How exactly is handing over the reins of the government to Republicans going to get you liberal policies? I have yet to see a step by step explanation on how this is supposed to work.

Edit: If you want a system in the U.S. with more than 2 parties, you're going to need some form of proportional representation. I doubt there's sufficient political support in the U.S. to change our government in that fashion.

Edit: If you want a system in the U.S. with more than 2 parties, you're going to need some form of proportional representation. I doubt there's sufficient political support in the U.S. to change our government in that fashion.

I think you are dead wrong about that. Just look at the polls and it is clear to see. Democrats are not too fond of Clinton and Republicans are not too fond of Trump. They will vote for them and not go third party because they are afraid of or hate the other side. And so long as these two parties are the only two that get any votes, they will never want to change the system no matter what the public actually wants. Same with how they lock anybody else out of the debates. And same with how they control the media through access.

Back
Top Bottom