• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Bill Maher For President - 2028

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Everybody bitches about the fact we have less than exciting candidates for president. Win or lose, 2028 is going to be a wide open race. I suggest drafting Bill Maher. He's smart. He's thoughtful. He is exciting. Why wait for some political hacks to float to the surface while everybody moans, "Is this the best these two parties can do?".

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Bill Maher is a libertarian (or at least one breed of them). He only seems like a flaming liberal because things have changed so much in the last 30 or so years. He'll also be in his 70s in 2028.

If we're going to have a comedian for president, I'll take Stephen Colbert over narcissistic Bill Maher. I watch Bill's show, mostly because he usually has interesting guests, but from my perspective he's become very narcissistic as he's aged. Colbert is much smarter and more empathetic. Of course neither of these men would want to run, and why aren't we considering a female star to run?

If we're going to have a comedian for president, I'll take Stephen Colbert over narcissistic Bill Maher. I watch Bill's show, mostly because he usually has interesting guests, but from my perspective he's become very narcissistic as he's aged. Colbert is much smarter and more empathetic. Of course neither of these men would want to run, and why aren't we considering a female star to run?

I would happily vote for Elizabeth Warren. I already voted for Hillary Clinton.

why aren't we considering a female star to run?
Are you serious?
Of course you are! You’d have to be.
That’s why. 🙁
Yes. How about Sarah Silverman or Amy Schumer for president if we need a smart comedian for president? They would be far more entertaining and smarter than the men. We need to end the Patriarchy! Mexico just elected a Jewish female for president. Why are we so far behind Mexico?

I voted for Hillary too, but she's not a comedian. I'd vote for Warren over any male, but she didn't get that far in the primaries. I'd also vote for Stacy Abrams, and she would be our first Black female president. She's smart and experienced. Fuck. I'd take Fani Willis for that matter. She's a hard working, tough on crime liberal! ( yes, Derec, she has a reputation for being very tough on crime, despite some of the claims in your posts, just sayin' )

I’d take Katie Porter over any comedian, female or otherwise. That woman knows how to say it like it is, and make people understand it.

If we're going to have a comedian for president, I'll take Stephen Colbert over narcissistic Bill Maher. I watch Bill's show, mostly because he usually has interesting guests, but from my perspective he's become very narcissistic as he's aged.
He's been that way forever, or least since he was on Comedy Central, which seems like forever to me. He is a social libertarian who wasn't for W and definitely against Trump. I stopped watching him because his shows were too much theater with ridiculous right-wing guests doing their typical schtick. The noise to content ratio was becoming too high.
Colbert is much smarter and more empathetic. Of course neither of these men would want to run, and why aren't we considering a female star to run?
Maher is well known, but I wouldn't say he is household. Colbert is better known, but I'm uncertain how household he is either. I can't think of a female TV personality that'd be more well known than Colbert. Politicians are better suited to be President anyway. If someone like Franken wants to become a Senator, they've got that right and can build their knowledge and brand, but is Trump (and Reagan) enough celebrity for the White House?

Ditching the political hacks in favor of a hack comedian? Nah. Plus, as of late Maher has been leaning into the right wing trope of whining about "woke" culture and the "woke mob." Why? Probably because he sees that it gets traction among the folks who listen to Joe Rogan and maybe follow Charlie Kirk.

Also, I'm guessing that like a lot of other comics, he's got some skeletons in his closet that aren't gonna sell well with parts of the Republican base. I'd bet that the GOP that's been so happily looking the other way on morality for Trump will suddenly "get religion" if a candidate has a less than squeaky clean past.

I wonder what the winning percentage is when known entertainers run against non-entertainers.

I think it's very high.

(one) Problem with Bill is that he doesn't seem to change his opinion in light of better information.

Hillary isn't a comedian but she is a bad joke. 😆
Hillary might've been the most qualified person to have run for POTUS. Attorney, First Lady, Senator, ambassador, Secretary of State. The GOP went after her with a vengeance for nearly three decades and she still won the popular vote against the orange shart.

Anyway, Bill Maher... I'm a fan, but the kids these days have really taken a disliking to him. It appears that's mainly because he's a little more sophisticated than the black and white absolutism that's become so popular among the young left. Hopefully they grow out of that.

I don't take the OP's initial question seriously and it doesn't seem to have been intended seriously.

Ditching the political hacks in favor of a hack comedian? Nah. Plus, as of late Maher has been leaning into the right wing trope of whining about "woke" culture and the "woke mob." Why? Probably because he sees that it gets traction among the folks who listen to Joe Rogan and maybe follow Charlie Kirk.
Am I the only person that remembers his show was originally called "Politically Incorrect"? This isn't new, what is happening here is the right-wing is so far right, he looks more liberal than he actually is.
Also, I'm guessing that like a lot of other comics, he's got some skeletons in his closet that aren't gonna sell well with parts of the Republican base. I'd bet that the GOP that's been so happily looking the other way on morality for Trump will suddenly "get religion" if a candidate has a less than squeaky clean past.
I believe it is impossible to know where this base moves. They were desperate for anyone other than mainstream in 2012, so much so they temporarily supported anyone and everyone until they flamed out, Michelle Bachman, Herman "999" Cain, Santorum, and Gingrich (yeah, how about Gingrich as an "outsider"?). These people aren't falling in line to mainstream politics. These people are true believers and when it comes to politics, some of the dumbest idiots in the country.

Back
Top Bottom