• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Black Jogger Gunned Down In The Street

Do you mean to tell me there are no black people in that state with social and financial status on par with the defendant?
No.
I didn't mean that, which is why I said nothing of the kind.
If you believe that then you're being the idiot here.

I don't think so, I didn't say so,
So...

What's your point?

And to get a little more pointed, the defendant is white(I think, mostly, I avoid learning too much about tragedies like this). If race makes you a "peer", doesn't the defendant have a right to a white jury of his peers?

Maybe it's just faith. But I like to believe that both black and white people are capable of returning a fair verdict. Look at the evidence provided by the prosecution, look at the arguments from the defense, make a decision.

This is why there's more than 1 person on the jury. If 12 people all agree on something, well, 12 people all agreed. Imperfect, but better than the other options I can think of.
Way better than the court of public opinion, currently known as Facebook. Those people will believe anything, if it suits their self image.
Tom

It is a bit of a connundrum, isn't it? The white defendants are to be judged by a "jury of their peers", so wouldn't that mean the jury should be weighted towards white people?
Oh, so black people aren't white people's peers? Hmm, where did I hear that before? :unsure:

(((Gospel)))!

Good to hear from you.

I think you're being an idiot here, but I'm glad you're back.

Why idiot? You think peer means someone of same race?

And to get a little more pointed, the defendant is white(I think, mostly, I avoid learning too much about tragedies like this). If race makes you a "peer", doesn't the defendant have a right to a white jury of his peers?

Ah, I guess you do.

A jury of peers doesn't mean same race, or even same social status, it just means people from your community. Their community is about a 1/4 black. It's improper bias to remove blacks simply because they are black. It doesn't make the jury more peer-like to do so. But I don't know why anyone was removed.

You didn't say you didn't think so. You said, "If race makes you a "peer", doesn't the defendant have a right to a white jury of his peers?" Which sounds like you are agreeing it is.

If you don't think so, then why the "idiot" insult?

Do you mean to tell me there are no black people in that state with social and financial status on par with the defendant?
No.

So...

What's your point?

Maybe it's just faith. But I like to believe that both black and white people are capable of returning a fair verdict. Look at the evidence provided by the prosecution, look at the arguments from the defense, make a decision.

This is why there's more than 1 person on the jury. If 12 people all agree on something, well, 12 people all agreed. Imperfect, but better than the other options I can think of.
Way better than the court of public opinion, currently known as Facebook. Those people will believe anything, if it suits their self image.
Tom

Sounds like you disagree with the following statement.

It is a bit of a connundrum, isn't it? The white defendants are to be judged by a "jury of their peers", so wouldn't that mean the jury should be weighted towards white people?

Which implies race is a part of the criteria for being a peer. I disagreed with that as well so does that mean we're both (Edit) wrong? :sneaky:

No.

So...

What's your point?

Tom

Sounds like you disagree with the following statement.

Which implies race is a part of the criteria for being a peer. I disagreed with that as well so does that mean we're both idiots? :sneaky:

First give me a big manly hug(no inappropriate touching).
Then I'll explain why we are both idiots.
Tom

Defense tries to have Jesse Jackson removed from court in trial for Ahmaud Arbery death

"(Reuters) -A lawyer for one of the three white men charged with murdering Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man, in their southern Georgia neighborhood failed in an attempt to have the judge remove civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson from the courtroom on Monday.

The same lawyer, Kevin Gough, made a similarly unsuccessful attempt last week to get the court to prevent any more 'Black pastors' attending the trial after the Rev. Al Sharpton, another civil rights leader, was seen sitting with Arbery's parents in the public gallery.

After the jury was sent out, Gough stood in the Glynn County Superior Court and said he objected to what he called "an icon in the civil rights movement" sitting between Arbery's parents.

'How many pastors does the Arbery family have?' he said, referring to a similar objection he had made on Thursday to Sharpton's visit. 'The seats in the public gallery of a courtroom are not like courtside seats at a Lakers game.'
"

It's a good thing we live in post-racial society.

If you're black in America you're in grave danger from pervasive racism. Not sure what else can be said about it?

Vast majority of black people get killed by other black people, which means that if blacks in America are in "grave danger", it's mostly from their own.
Also, blacks killing whites twice as often as whites killing blacks. Another thing that doesn't fit media's narratives of "pervasive white racism", so it doesn't get mentioned.

Ok, I'm going to give you a short history lesson. I don't have confidence that you'll read it in good faith, but here we go.

One thousand years ago black people predominated on the continent of Africa, and were minding their own business for the most part. They had problems, they were just as violent as anybody else, because like Europeans and Asians, they were human beings.

Fast forward to European colonialism and the slave trade, and black people are transported all over the world where they were given the lowest status in the societies in which they lived. Post Darwin most of the academic community was trying to prove that black people were sub-human, and that white people were a different species. Get the picture?

Now we have a base of black people in the continental U.S. who are trying to build their lives in an atmosphere of pervasive racism. White people dominate the U.S., they dominate every aspect of the economy and culture. They are the owners of businesses, they are the people who run schools, they are the people who make laws. And even those who aren't killing black people in the streets likely still don't want to hire them or promote their livelihood in any capacity. Ok, now are you getting the picture?

What do you expect black people to do? How do you expect them to survive in this environment? Have you ever put even a single thought to that? Even those who end up finding some semblance of success are those who've adapted to a white dominated culture, not vice versa. And even those people still face enormous barriers.

I'm done apologizing or beating around the bush, it's people like you who make this situation a reality. You're an unapologetic, uninformed racist.
The Dindu Religion

As Jussie Smollett might have said, "Why am I being singled out when my whole race has been faking victimization for the past 60 years?"

Typical European, twisting words and events to appear more civilized.

Defense tries to have Jesse Jackson removed from court in trial for Ahmaud Arbery death

"(Reuters) -A lawyer for one of the three white men charged with murdering Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man, in their southern Georgia neighborhood failed in an attempt to have the judge remove civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson from the courtroom on Monday.

The same lawyer, Kevin Gough, made a similarly unsuccessful attempt last week to get the court to prevent any more 'Black pastors' attending the trial after the Rev. Al Sharpton, another civil rights leader, was seen sitting with Arbery's parents in the public gallery.

After the jury was sent out, Gough stood in the Glynn County Superior Court and said he objected to what he called "an icon in the civil rights movement" sitting between Arbery's parents.

'How many pastors does the Arbery family have?' he said, referring to a similar objection he had made on Thursday to Sharpton's visit. 'The seats in the public gallery of a courtroom are not like courtside seats at a Lakers game.'
"

I suppose it isn't against the law for Jesse Jackson to be there, but I do understand where the defense is coming from being that in certain echo chambers he's very polarized.

"

I suppose it isn't against the law for Jesse Jackson to be there, but I do understand where the defense is coming from being that in certain echo chambers he's very polarized.
Of notable black pastors, Jesse Jackson has got to be one of the least polarizing of them. I remember reading way back a list of computer viruses, and the Jesse Jackson made the screen look like a beautiful rainbow, but it didn't do anything. ;)

"

Sounds like a lesson in CRT, right there.

"

Sounds like a lesson in CRT, right there.
Okay, but still he's comparing Black people coming to the court to a Laker's game, BUT....don't you think he also complains about how many Black people are at a Laker's game, too?

Of notable black pastors, Jesse Jackson has got to be one of the least polarizing of them.
That's because in the race hustler profession filled with the likes of Al Sharpton they are being graded on a curve.
In reality, Jesse Jackson is an antisemitic ("Hymietown") and racist pos.

So the defendant who shot the victim is going to testify today according to news reports I am watching this morning.

This is another case of "he was rushing my gun so I had to shoot him or he'd get the gun and shoot me," but the last part of that is an unreasonable assumption and he never apparently yelled, "stop or I'll shoot" showing he wasn't interested in killing him to the victim.

But in any case, my question to the forum is Will the defendant cry? Is this a new trend?

Travis McMichael started testifying yesterday, and is continuing today.

I just watched it for a couple of minutes and he already had two "I do not recall Senators"--one where he said he didn't remember if he got out of the truck and the other where he said he didn't remember his father screaming "Stop or I'll blow your fucking head off" even though the father admitted it in police reports. What is the point of giving testimony if you don't "remember" the events?

I just watched it for a couple of minutes and he already had two "I do not recall Senators"--one where he said he didn't remember if he got out of the truck and the other where he said he didn't remember his father screaming "Stop or I'll blow your fucking head off" even though the father admitted it in police reports. What is the point of giving testimony if you don't "remember" the events?

Because "why would a guilty man testify?" If these two get away with what they did... it could get ugly as it sends a message to what white racists can get away with. Attempt to detain a person they have no right to detain, and then kill him after you introduce a gun into the situation and the guy starts panicking... and turning the tables.

Back
Top Bottom