• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Black Man in the Lab!

2) Costs. College is becoming increasingly expensive, the payoff for any PhD is becoming increasingly bad, especially in academia.

How is that a good excuse?
PhDs are free, in fact, normally you are being paid to do it.
Yes, payoff is bad, but that does not prevent whites from going for it.

It's probably harder to get into a STEM career when you're stuck in poverty with all its attendant hassles.

eta: or in jail

Which says nothing about those who change out of STEM degree programs.

2) Costs. College is becoming increasingly expensive, the payoff for any PhD is becoming increasingly bad, especially in academia.

How is than an excuse?

First, "excuse" is a bizarre word to use here. The vast majority of people are under no obligation to even attempt to get a PhD, so there's no need for an excuse when they don't bother.

Second, you can't just enter a PhD program right out of high school, you know - and even engineering undergrads have to pay for the privilege of attending school, unless they're extremely lucky (which I was). A family who can barely afford to get a kid through high school, stands nearly no chance of supporting the same kid through that program alone - especially as the parents grow older, and increasingly unhealthy.

Third, the point is, if they *do* get a BS degree, then it's often a smart idea to stop there, and get a job that will likely pay for their MS degree, as well as giving them a good salary - and they can move along from there if they so desire.

And fourth, no, PhDs are not "free". You act like it's a "free" coffee mug or shirt.

It's probably harder to get into a STEM career when you're stuck in poverty with all its attendant hassles.

eta: or in jail

Which says nothing about those who change out of STEM degree programs.

This apparently has a noticeable effect on the representation of minorities in STEM.

At the private university we analyze, the gap between white and black grade point averages
falls by half between the students’ freshmen and senior year. This outcome could suggest that
affirmative action policies are playing a key role to reduce racial differences. However, this
convergence masks two effects. First, the variance of grades given falls across time. Hence,
shrinkage in the level of the gap may not imply shrinkage in the class rank gap. Second, grading
standards differ across courses in different majors. We show that controlling for these two
features virtually eliminates any convergence of black/white grades. In fact, black/white gpa
convergence is symptomatic of dramatic shifts by blacks from initial interest in the natural
sciences, engineering, and economics to majors in the humanities and social sciences.
We show
that natural science, engineering, and economics courses are more difficult, associated with
higher study times, and have harsher grading standards; all of which translate into students
with weaker academic backgrounds being less likely to choose these majors. Indeed, we show
that accounting for academic background can fully account for average differences in switching
behavior between blacks and whites.

http://public.econ.duke.edu/~psarcidi/grades_4.0.pdf

How is that an excuse?

First, "excuse" is a bizarre word to use here. The vast majority of people are under no obligation to even attempt to get a PhD, so there's no need for an excuse when they don't bother.
How so? This thread is about absence of black men in the lab. What's their excuse?
Second, you can't just enter a PhD program right out of high school, you know - and even engineering undergrads have to pay for the privilege of attending school, unless they're extremely lucky (which I was). A family who can barely afford to get a kid through high school, stands nearly no chance of supporting the same kid through that program alone - especially as the parents grow older, and increasingly unhealthy.
Well, I have seen/met black undergrads, I have never met black PhD students in US.
I know they exist, I just never met one.
Third, the point is, if they *do* get a BS degree, then it's often a smart idea to stop there,
Are you calling white folk dumb? :)
and get a job that will likely pay for their MS degree, as well as giving them a good salary - and they can move along from there if they so desire.

And fourth, no, PhDs are not "free". You act like it's a "free" coffee mug or shirt.

Well, they are free in the sense that you don't have to pay money for it. You need to earn it though.

lol, PhDs are free.
In a manner of speaking. There is tuition, but PhD students work in research or teaching for their adviser and get that paid plus a stipend.

Those stipends are not as easy to come by as they used to be, for one thing. The other thing is that many, if not most middle class students and lower have substantial student debt. That debt does discourage students from considering grad school, if the young adults I know (mostly white, with strong academic skills)

In most fields of biology one needs a PhD plus at least one post doc., preferably more than one. That's a lot of delay/forgone income for not lots of future compensation.

How is than an excuse?

Third, the point is, if they *do* get a BS degree, then it's often a smart idea to stop there, and get a job that will likely pay for their MS degree, as well as giving them a good salary - and they can move along from there if they so desire.

I do not know if it is still the case, but in my undergrad days, my black friends complained mightily about the hard steering they received to go into non-science fields such as sociology. This included the black woman who was hands down the top student in my honors calculus class.

Those stipends are not as easy to come by as they used to be, for one thing.
Do you have any sources for availability of stipends for PhD students over time?
The other thing is that many, if not most middle class students and lower have substantial student debt. That debt does discourage students from considering grad school, if the young adults I know (mostly white, with strong academic skills)
Subsidized Stafford loans do not accrue interest while one is in school. Unsubsidized Staffords do but you still don't have to start repaying them while in school.

In most fields of biology one needs a PhD plus at least one post doc., preferably more than one. That's a lot of delay/forgone income for not lots of future compensation.
Postdocs are also paid.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not know if it is still the case, but in my undergrad days, my black friends complained mightily about the hard steering they received to go into non-science fields such as sociology. This included the black woman who was hands down the top student in my honors calculus class.
"Hard steering" by whom? And how long ago were your undergrad days?
I can't imagine anyone would steer a person with math aptitude toward non-math fields.

So much for the STEM genetics claim then.

It's not a one to one correspondence. Certain gene may be required but does not guarantee you will be a criminal or a scientist :)

Meh: our parents did not attend college but all of my siblings and I ended up in STEM fields. There was heavy recruiting of those of us who showed math/science talent and considerable parental pressure to do seething that would earn us good money. STEM wasn't called that but it was seen as the way to go and the only rational choice for 'smart' students.

- - - Updated - - -

As a STEM woman, I would venture to say because it is hard to continue to enjoy yourself in what can be a relentlessly hostile environment. You just get tired. And you start to realize life is too short for that.

That will certainly be at different levels for different people. And for different STEM disciplines. And for different ages. But it can be EXHAUSTING. You're not just doing STEM, you're doing STEM under a microscope and under fire. It is something that white men an asian men simply do not have to experience relentlessly. It is something taht creates a barrier. It's like having a McDonald's French Fry alarm constantly going in the background. It's a tougher work environment when you're black or female.

Neil deGrasse Tyson has addressed this, how many times he was asked what his back-up plan was or why he thought he could succeed in science or whether he was sure this was right for him. Watching and seeing that his white counterparts were not getting these questions.

I've watched black colleagues get questions that make no sense except to condemn and agitate; no sense. And I experienced a lot of it myself as a woman in school. It's there and it's real. We can get more STEM people by addressing it, but denial is strong despite the clear self-damaging nature of it.

That's not the ONLY thing, so a zillion anecdotes will exist. But it's a big thing. Elephant in the room. Why do the people we give the most shit to decide not to hang out with us?

Truth, every last word.

In a manner of speaking. There is tuition, but PhD students work in research or teaching for their adviser and get that paid plus a stipend.

They are automatic in PhD programs.
Nobody in his right mind would accept an offer without TA or RA and a stipend.
The other thing is that many, if not most middle class students and lower have substantial student debt. That debt does discourage students from considering grad school, if the young adults I know (mostly white, with strong academic skills)
Well,I will admit I don't know much about undergrad debt situation for white/blacks.
Again, how is that a good excuse for blacks not going to grad school?

Because modern science was developed by white people in Europe they culturally own it and thus black people doing science is racist "cultural appropriation" like blues or belly dancing.
</progressoauthoritarian if they were logically consistent with their arguments>

LMAO

I made that same point in that very thread, and it sailed over heads.

A study done by an engineering journal in the 90s pointed to the fact that blacks were generally not selecting engineering in school.

As to engineering being white, without Asian immigrant engineers technology would have not have grown. In t 90s there was a drop in American engineering enrollments.

The 60s Moynihan study on poverty was controversial It concluded that in both blacks and whites primary education performance correlated to family stability and economics, not race. It also concluded that welfare was destroying the back family.

Blacks who immigrate do not have the cultural baggage and damage of blacks coming from slavery and Jim Crow. Colin Powell is a good example. Jamaican immigrant parents.

When I started as an engineer in 1980 it was racist and misogynist. Racial and female jokes and slurs were common.

Today it is a different environment. People who play the race card today only serve to hold back blacks. The belief the deck is stacked against them.

Engineers from Russia, Eastern Europe, India, and Asia are common as are women.

You would need to look at the college choices by race ad the overall math preparstion.

I watched a show on a NYC charter school. Uniforms required, discipline and respect for teachers reinforced, and parental involvement required. Black kids perform well.

lt is like the RCC schools I went to. With my dysfunctional family situation without the RCC school discipline that kept e from gong too far astray I might not have graduated high school. Single parent father family who left me and my sisters alone for days. One sister did not graduate high school , she went to a public school.

They are automatic in PhD programs.
Nobody in his right mind would accept an offer without TA or RA and a stipend.
Well,I will admit I don't know much about undergrad debt situation for white/blacks.
Again, how is that a good excuse for blacks not going to grad school?

No, assistantships are NOT automatic in grad school. Depends on school and program, etc.

More blacks compared with whites come from lower socioeconomic status and are less likely to have any support from family and are more likely to need to start earning earlier.

So what's your excuse for using the term excuse vs reason? Your mindset may be showing..,

How so? This thread is about absence of black men in the lab. What's their excuse?

Again, you use the wrong word.

It's actually not hard to work in "the lab" with a BS degree - or even just as an undergrad working towards one. For that matter, technicians don't even have that much. The actual story is specifically about black men earning PhDs in STEM, in particular. To address that, you need to address every roadblock, from birth, through the end of their academic career. And, in my experience, when you look towards PhDs in particular, money becomes important - and the less wealth a person's family has, the more important it becomes. You can claim stipends and the like as much as you want - but unless they rival what one can make by simply leaving college and working (and STEM degrees can earn a lot of money in private industry), they're going to leave.

And in fact, I'll guarantee you that most STEM graduates went into the field not only because it's interesting, but also because it offers high salaries with just a Bachelors degree. You're looking for an "excuse" - I refuse to offer you one. I'm giving reasons.

Clearly the list of questions in the OP are all nested questions/issues. Once you account for performance in grade school (and on tests like ACT that measure what you learned in grade school), then this accounts for much of the other under-representation at the higher levels which each require strong performance at the lower levels. SES and parents educational attainment accounts for much of the remaining difference.

Affirmative Action plays a role in the differences at the lower levels of STEM education persisting upward through each level from college onward.
Without AA, blacks would be admitted by the same success predicting academic criteria that whites are. This would notably reduce the racial gaps in rates of graduation, STEM major, grad school, etc.. But having AA means that blacks are disproportionately represented among those at the low end of the variables that predict success. The whole point of AA is to admit students of color that would otherwise be rejected because their credentials predict low college grades and high drop out rates. This not only has the direct impact on the likely success of those admitted under these policies, but it has an indirect social impact on other black students who did have the credentials and did not need AA polices to be admitted. These other students see many of their fellow black students struggle and fail out and this reduces their own confidence. Any student can stumble and struggle at times, but if you have self-doubts then those temporary obstacles are more likely to be interpreted as evidence of inability and you'll quit on that goal.
AA has similar impact at the faculty level. Such policies mean that black applicants are over represented among the faculty with borderline credentials that objectively predict future success on the job. They are more likely to be hired even when their teaching, mentoring, and/or research skills are questionable. As a result, their students suffer both indirectly by having lower quality teachers and research mentors and indirectly by having negative role models who wind up not succeeding in the profession. In a former department of mine, 3 separate times a faculty member was hired despite not being close to the top 10% of the applicant pool on any criteria of teaching or research competence. Because short list applicants give presentations to the whole department, the graduate students all could see that these black applicants that were given the job were clearly not in the same league as the other presenters that were not given the job (or even in the league of many of the grad students themselves). This particularly upset the minority grad students who via their minority grad student organization voted against these black applicants and expressed concern that it was so obviously an instance of getting hired for being black that it was insulting to them. Unsurprisingly, all 3 of these faculty struggled mightily and, despite being given way more assistance and chances to succeed than typical new faculty, they all failed to get tenure, and this was at an institution with very easy standards for tenure. Was the positive impact of having these black examples of STEM faculty greater than the negative impacts of knowing they got hired for their race and then watching them fail because of their lack of qualifications?

The same thing happens with grad students. Some in our department noticed that the drop out rate among black grad students was twice as high as whites, so without thinking they declared it the fault of institutional racism that puts obstacles in their way. However, most of the dropouts had black faculty advisors, and they comprised the majority of students admitted despite having verbal and quantitative GRE scores below 500. Not a single white student was admitted with those low of scores and once you excluded the dropouts that had such low scores, there was no difference in the dropout rates among blacks and whites. IOW, the only racism the data showed evidence of was the racism inherent in the AA policies that essentially guaranteed higher failure rates among black students once admitted without minimal qualifications.

Ironically, defenders of AA policies, such as one of the people quoted in the article recognize that AA programs haven't worked much to increase STEM scientists.
from the article said:
"But we’re not making up any ground. We’ve had two decades worth of affirmative action and diversity efforts, and we’re not even holding steady. That is disturbing. It should be disturbing to us all."

Sadly, they automatically assume that this is because the policies are not extreme enough, rather than considering the obvious statistical fact that such policies only ensure that differences in success at lower levels persist as differences in rates of success at higher levels, which in turn sends negative social signals to blacks that if they try they are less likely to succeed. Actually, it is worse than not considering the relevant data and stats, many of these activists explicitly reject data and stats because they don't give the ideologically correct explanation, as seen in the OP article...

from the article said:
"I’m not saying that we abandon the data and explanatory undercurrents of these questions, but statistics help maintain notions of white supremacy in that they very powerfully reinforce that white folks are, and very much belong, on top because people of color just can’t seem to get their act together."

Ansley Abraham, director of the Southern Regional Education Board’s State Doctoral Scholars Program, echoes those sentiments. "You know what they say about data—it can be twisted and used in many ways"

So, some of the leading voices among those speaking about the problem of black representation in STEM are sending an anti-intellectual anti-science approach to explaining the problem. That is part of the problem.

The article does present some very useful and not often talked about data.

A recent report by the American Institutes for Research notes that women (1 in 5) and blacks (1 in 5) are most likely to leave science careers, academic or otherwise. The study found that 21 percent of blacks—compared with 17 percent of whites, 14 percent of Asians, and 14 percent of Hispanics, leave STEM fields, with 42 percent of black men opting to work in government.

Note bolded part. Many blacks that succeed in getting a STEM Ph.D. don't stay as a practitioner in the field because they go get a government job, which usually has far more pay and benefits. First, that is not a "problem" for those going into government. Second, its rather obvious that blacks being more likely to leave STEM for government is partly due to them having more opportunity to get a government job due to strong civil service AA policies and the creation of government outreach programs that almost exclusively hire minority professionals for obvious and legit reasons. Another factor is that black professions are more likely to be motivated to be a social activist to help their black community become more involved in the career they themselves value. White scientists are much less likely than black scientists to think "Hey, rather than this theoretical science, I should use my talents to increase the number of people in my racial group pursuing science careers."

The article also mentions that blacks are "risk averse" and don't want to risk the debt that getting a Ph.D. entails. It would nice to see if there is any evidence of this beyond the more general impact of SES and parental income and its impact upon the need to and willingness to accrue large debt for a degree.

As for the the question then my answer would be genetics. Just today I saw a study where they linked violent criminals to specific genes.
And what if tomorrow they link STEM to specific genes which are much less common among blacks?
To me it's more about familiarity with a profession. Yes, there may be an inheritable genetic component but in my experience kids tend to emulate their peers and parents more than anything else. It was inconceivable to me to become a doctor as a young person. I wanted a more normal job like working in a steel mill. Becoming an engineer or a computer scientist was also inconceivably difficult. But if my parents had been professionals I think the prospects would have been very different. Certain things would not have seemed so impossible.

I should add that I'm one of Jimmy Higgins STEM dropouts.

Yes, the same reason one 9% of nurses are male. Being a nurse is a good job, but I never even thought about it.

The 60s Moynihan study on poverty was controversial It concluded that in both blacks and whites primary education performance correlated to family stability and economics, not race.

Agreed. Once you apply the proper controls race almost always drops out of the picture.

It also concluded that welfare was destroying the back family.

This I find more questionable. Rather than destroying families I think it made the life of single parenthood easier so more people chose that route.

Blacks who immigrate do not have the cultural baggage and damage of blacks coming from slavery and Jim Crow. Colin Powell is a good example. Jamaican immigrant parents.

Yup--because it's cultural baggage, not discrimination.

I watched a show on a NYC charter school. Uniforms required, discipline and respect for teachers reinforced, and parental involvement required. Black kids perform well.

Yup--get the parents involved and kids of any color do well. If the parents don't care it doesn't matter what color their skin is.

Agreed. Once you apply the proper controls race almost always drops out of the picture.

It also concluded that welfare was destroying the back family.

This I find more questionable. Rather than destroying families I think it made the life of single parenthood easier so more people chose that route.

Yup--because it's cultural baggage, not discrimination.

Yup--get the parents involved and kids of any color do well. If the parents don't care it doesn't matter what color their skin is.

The cultural bagage comes from slavery and Jim Crow. Post Civil War blacks began educating themselves and moving into society. Jim Crow was the white reaction.

Back
Top Bottom