• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

boneyard bill predicts 2014 elections.

boneyard bill

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Idealist
I know you've all been waiting anxiously for my elections predictions. It's October now and very few races change much in the last month. Unfortunately, this is kind of a tough year because quite a few races are too close to call. And I know that such predictions are just a parlor game, but we all like to do it anyway. I won't bother listing the safe seats.

Open Democrat seats:

Just about everyone agrees that three Democrat open seats in red states will flip to Republican. Those are South Dakota, Montana, and West Virginia.

Iowa: Democrats expected to hold this seat with Rep. Bruce Braley while obscure Republicans battled it out for the nomination. But State Senator Jodi Ernst came on strong to capture the nomination in the primary and avoid a state convention battle. She's the kind of independent woman Republicans really like, an Iraq War veteran who grew up on a farm castrating hogs. She's also happens to be a really good campaigner who has stolen the limelight from the dry-as-dust Braley. Republicans will win this seat.

Michigan:

Former Secretary of State Terry Lynn Land looked pretty good early in this race which is one of the few where neither candidate has primary opposition. As a former state-wide office holder, Land may have benefitted early from her state-wide name recognition, but Representative Gary Peters has maintained a credible lead for some time now. Democrats will hold this seat.

So in 5 open seats, it looks like the Dems will win only one and the Republicans will pick up four.

Vulnerable Democrat incumbents:

Alaska:

Mark Begich has the advantage of incumbency and comes from a well-known Alaska political family. He's attacking Attorney-General Sullivan as a carpet-bagger. Unfortunately, lots of Alaskans are carpet baggers and Begich won his last race by a whopping 1% against an opponent who was under indictment. Alaska is a Republican state and the voters won't let Democrats forget that. Sullivan should pull this out.

Colorado:

Incumbent Senator Mark Udall has spent a ton of money on advertising and it has merely served to keep him in a dead heat with his Republican challenger, Congressman Cory Gardner. The less lavishly funded Gardner has been husbanding his money for the final stretch. With a more competitive advertising presence Gardner should win.

Arkansas:

Representative Tom Cotton is the neocons favorite neophyte. Young, handsome, with a military background in increasing Republican Arkansas, he's the neocon of the future, they hope. But Cotton has proven to more of a neophyte than they were expecting. His campaign skills haven't proven to be the best and Democrat Senator David Pryor has been working hard to keep this race close. Unfortunately for Pryor, this is going to be a Republican year, and he will fall just a little short of the mark. Cotton wins by a nose.

Louisiana:

Mary Landrieu never should have been a senator from Louisiana in the first place, but she has managed to survive two squeaker elections. Louisiana has a non-partisan primary with a run-off between the top two if no one gets 50%. Lackluster Bill Cassidy has emerged from a gaggle of candidates to take the lead while Landrieu has been pretty much running in place. Cassidy wins this without a runoff.

North Carolina:

Republican House Speaker Thom Tillis was the establishment favorite here despite being very controversial and having no money. He's still controversial, and he still has no money. Kay Hagan will buy her way back to Senate as Republicans fail to capitalize on her weaknesses.

Republican open seats:

Georgia:

Only one Republican open seat is really worth discussing. Democrat Michelle Nunn, daughter of popular former Senator Sam Nunn, an arch-conservative Democrat is hoping to capitalize on her father's name and reputation to boost her to a Senate victory here. Businessman David Perdue lacks the experience of a seasoned politician, but he has managed to avoid making any big mistakes which is what Nunn needs. Republicans will keep this seat.

Vulnerable Republican incumbents:

Kentucky:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was thought to be vulnerable, as he has been in virtually all of his elections. He's been challenged by Allison Lundergan Grimes, daughter of a former governor. At 34, Grimes has shown herself not to be ready for prime time. McConnell will soon become the Majority Leader.

Kansas:

What the hell is Kansas doing on this list? The last time they elected a Democrat to the Senate, FDR was president. Not that they'll elect one this time either. Independent Greg Orman has surged since the Democrat dropped out and is causing a real headache for Senator Pat Roberts who apparently also hasn't lived in Kansas since FDR, an issue first raised by his primary opponent.

With Congress' approval rating at 5%, it's not surprising that an incumbent might be in trouble and since Kansans can't vote for "none of the above," the rather unknown Orman seems like the next best bet. Roberts should win this seat, but if he doesn't, there's no guarantee that Orman will caucus with the Democrats anyway. He's said he will caucus with the winner, but that he won't caucus with Harry Reid.

So the GOP wins four open seats and unseats four Democrat incumbents while keeping all of their own seats for a net gain of eight seats.

Now it's your turn.

I predict that it won't matter worth a damn who wins and the US government will remain the same intractable mess that it is right now.

I predict that it won't matter worth a damn who wins and the US government will remain the same intractable mess that it is right now.

Indeed. Reminds me of this scene:

Blackadder Goes Forth said:
General Melchett: Now, Field Marshal Haig has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field.

Captain Blackadder: Would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Captain Darling: How can you possibly know that Blackadder? It's classified information!

Captain Blackadder: It's the same plan that we used last time, and the seventeen times before that.

You coward. You're only willing to offer the most obvious and certain of predictions. All I can say is that I hope you are right. If the US government is going to be a mess (and that is a given), it is altogether good that it should be an intractable one.

You coward. You're only willing to offer the most obvious and certain of predictions. All I can say is that I hope you are right. If the US government is going to be a mess (and that is a given), it is altogether good that it should be an intractable one.

It's the only prediction that matters. The rest is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Who cares where you put the yellow one?

It's the only prediction that matters. The rest is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Who cares where you put the yellow one?
Yes. This gridlock will eventually ruin the country.

Prophets of doom the lot of you! US of A is still numero uno in the world, and it will remain so for the next 2 decades at least until China overtakes it.

My vote is for power of incumbency and demographics. Fox News released a bunch of polls recently and they all seemed to be skewed to the right, showing inconsistent results with the most recent poll. Later polls have now come out confirming that Fox's polls are likely well off.

Arkansas, Iowa, Colorado, NC should head to or back-to the Democrats. South Dakota is in a three-way and is impossible to judge. Kansas is questionable to where Orman would caucus with. I can't see Colorado legalizing marijuana and then kicking out Udall.

Louisiana is a coin toss. Georgia should go to the Republicans. Kentucky seems like an impossible long-shot.

So true! The unfortunate fact is that between the Republicans and neo-liberal Democrats, our government is being disassembled in every quarter...congress, the judiciary, and the executive. The voices that will be in power and are in power now are so predictably disgusting, our country is in crisis and the election just sails along toward the cliff anyway. We have caved to this electoral system that does not deal with actual needs of our people. It is clearly broken.

I just got my sample ballot yesterday. The Republicans and the Democrats finally have their way and they are the only parties who have candidates on the ballot. As they get their funding from the same corporate pool, you can bet this election will be good for the stock market, the big banks, and the filthy rich just like it has been in the past. Meanwhile our environmental and social problems continue to compound without even any serious legislative analysis or examination of any kind. We now have robotic wars overseas, a decreased educational effort and profile, and more and more people with nothing and little chance of getting anything. It is a formula for widespread and chaotic civil unrest that is capable of fulminating into atrocity in the years that follow this election cycle.

We appear to be incapable of governing ourselves. We have leaders who laugh at concepts like fairness and humane treatment of our population and democracy itself. Most importantly, they laugh at the idea of any reform actually coming from the people. I am concerned that the current flock in Washington have not dealt with the social disparity in our society and the new flock will feel free to be even more uncaring.

So true! The unfortunate fact is that between the Republicans and neo-liberal Democrats, our government is being disassembled in every quarter...congress, the judiciary, and the executive. The voices that will be in power and are in power now are so predictably disgusting, our country is in crisis and the election just sails along toward the cliff anyway. We have caved to this electoral system that does not deal with actual needs of our people. It is clearly broken.

I just got my sample ballot yesterday. The Republicans and the Democrats finally have their way and they are the only parties who have candidates on the ballot. As they get their funding from the same corporate pool, you can bet this election will be good for the stock market, the big banks, and the filthy rich just like it has been in the past. Meanwhile our environmental and social problems continue to compound without even any serious legislative analysis or examination of any kind. We now have robotic wars overseas, a decreased educational effort and profile, and more and more people with nothing and little chance of getting anything. It is a formula for widespread and chaotic civil unrest that is capable of fulminating into atrocity in the years that follow this election cycle.

We appear to be incapable of governing ourselves. We have leaders who laugh at concepts like fairness and humane treatment of our population and democracy itself. Most importantly, they laugh at the idea of any reform actually coming from the people. I am concerned that the current flock in Washington have not dealt with the social disparity in our society and the new flock will feel free to be even more uncaring.

We won't get any significant change until after the catastrophe happens. Even then, however, there's no guarantee that the changes we get will be for the better.

My vote is for power of incumbency and demographics. Fox News released a bunch of polls recently and they all seemed to be skewed to the right, showing inconsistent results with the most recent poll. Later polls have now come out confirming that Fox's polls are likely well off.

Arkansas, Iowa, Colorado, NC should head to or back-to the Democrats. South Dakota is in a three-way and is impossible to judge. Kansas is questionable to where Orman would caucus with. I can't see Colorado legalizing marijuana and then kicking out Udall.

Louisiana is a coin toss. Georgia should go to the Republicans. Kentucky seems like an impossible long-shot.

I'm not seeing that. What I'm seeing is that the momentum is trending toward the Republicans. Incumbents have the edge. The closer you get to the election, the bigger the problem for the incumbents. If they haven't convinced the voters early on, what are they going to say when they get to the end? Late voters tend to vote against the incumbents. Gardner has the momentum in Colorado and so does Cassidy in Louisiana. Pryor might hold on. I hope so since I hate Tom Cotton. Iowa will be close and anything can happen in Alaska. It is notoriously unpredictable.

When isn't government in an intractable mess? It was kind of designed that way, don't you think? A benevolent dictator would be much better (if they would just stay benevolent).

Democracy at work for the better or worst. There's no other choice really with humans just being human.

Polls continue to slip towards the Republicans. Sen. Landrieu of Louisiana is trying to distance herself from Obama who's cornerstone ACA is enjoying majority support and oversaw a drop in the unemployment rate from 8 to 9% to just under 6% now.

Republicans are polling well with regards to the economy and jobs for some reason. And this latest ebola scare probably isn't helping because Obama has done nothing to secure the Mexican border which, presumably 63% of conservatives think borders with Liberia.

Polls continue to slip towards the Republicans. Sen. Landrieu of Louisiana is trying to distance herself from Obama who's cornerstone ACA is enjoying majority support and oversaw a drop in the unemployment rate from 8 to 9% to just under 6% now.

Republicans are polling well with regards to the economy and jobs for some reason. And this latest ebola scare probably isn't helping because Obama has done nothing to secure the Mexican border which, presumably 63% of conservatives think borders with Liberia.

Cassidy has made slow, but steady support all along. He was at about 20% last spring and that was still good for second place. Meanwhile, Landrieu has been at a little above 40% and pretty much hasn't budged from that number.

The economy sucks and the jobs figures are very misleading. We've gained part-time jobs but lost full-time jobs. If you get laid off and take two part-time jobs, that counts as a gain of one job even though the actual number of people employed - one - has not changed.

Recent polls suggest that Tillis, despite his lack of funds, is gaining on Hagan in North Carolina and Brown is gaining on Shaheen in New Hampshire. Third party Libertarian candidates are also a factor in some states including North Carolina and Alaska. A drop-off in the Libertarian numbers on election day should be expected and those voters would more likely vote GOP than Dem. We could be heading for an even bigger Republican victory than I had predicted.

Here in Florida the Libertarian candidate for Governor has broken double-digits in a couple of polls. I don't expect that to hold up, but even 5% would be a big surprise. He's raised $100,000 which is chump-change for a major party candidate, but for a Libertarian it's Nirvana.

"Cornerstone support?" or ardent wishful thinking?

original.jpg

The rising opposition to the Affordable Care Act and the corresponding sinking approval come despite Obamacare's rebound from the disastrous, chaotic launch of HealthCare.gov and the first enrollment period that began last fall....

But Obamacare has always had weak support among the American public. Previous Kaiser Family Foundation surveys show only three months since Congress passed the law in March 2010 when more people approved than disapproved.

The list of reasons is lengthy. Republicans have been unrelenting in their attacks, such as the lawsuit planned by House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) against Obama for delaying the law's employer mandate. The public has remained strongly opposed to key features of the law, especially its individual mandate that nearly everyone obtain health coverage, and memories linger of Obama's broken promise that people would be able to keep their current insurance policies. ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/01/obamacare-poll_n_5639192.html

Unless things have changed since August, or Louisiana is an exception to the national perception, voters perceptions seem clearly against Obamacare (one reason Obama avoided more of the wrath of voters by refusing to implement major portions till after the elections).

PS: When the State's largest insurer increases rates (approved in early October) by close to 20 percent it is not going to make ACA more popular:

WASHINGTON -- Some Louisiana health insurers are imposing double-digit increases in 2015 for polices sold under the Affordable Care Act's health exchange, according to filings this week with the Louisiana Department of Insurance.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana, the state's largest provider, filed papers that it is moving forward with its original plan to increases rates between 18.3 percent and 19.7 percent for policyholders in its Blue Saver, Blue Max and its Multi-State individual health plans.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/10/some_louisiana_insurers_procee.html

No matter who is popular and who isn't. In the end people will end up voting for a politician, and politicians like babies nappies should be changed often and for the same reason.

Back
Top Bottom