• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Book Recommendation: Proof of Evolution

Basic Beliefs
Agnostic, ex-Christian, Artist, Pseudo-Connoisseur of Obscure Music, Own Worst Enemy, Thinks Out Loud
Please recommend a book that offers the best evidence for evolution.

Thanks.

The most comprehensive text I've ever seen is Gould's "The Structure of Evolutionary Theory".

There are many books that will describe evidence for evolution, but basically any book that explains anything about life science is evidence for evolution (you'd need to understand evolution to get that). Anyway, the point is, evolution is true, just accept it, what you really want to do is find a book that helps you understand what evolution is.

Feel free to post more suggestions as I begin Coyne's book. Maybe I will start another tread to discuss what I learn about this subject.

Talk Freethought is a goldmine. Thanks.

Dawkins' "The Blind Watchmaker" is quite good.

How convincing do you think the evidence is in this book?
Its case looks pretty indisputable to me; but then I was never a creationist so what do I know? If you want a book with a proven track record of convincing real live creationists to change their minds, you're not going to do better than "The Origin of Species". But then, Darwin was up against smarter and more reasonable creationists than we are...

Bill Nye had a new book out called "Undeniable" If memory serves. I haven't read it (yet) but I've heard it's pretty good. I'm actually reading Coynes' book right now, albeit slowly due to time constraints.

How convincing do you think the evidence is in this book?
Its case looks pretty indisputable to me; but then I was never a creationist so what do I know? If you want a book with a proven track record of convincing real live creationists to change their minds, you're not going to do better than "The Origin of Species". But then, Darwin was up against smarter and more reasonable creationists than we are...

So true.

In Darwin's day, it was possible to be both knowledgeable about biology, and a creationist.

These days, we are up against:

attachment.php

The most comprehensive text I've ever seen is Gould's "The Structure of Evolutionary Theory".
You read it?
As much as Gould is/was one of my heros,i could never get past the first hundred pages.

I own the book and I've read different chapters throughout it but I haven't read the whole thing.

It's really a text and a reference, not a book many can read cover to cover.

But it elucidates the major topics of Evolutionary Theory comprehensively.

There are many books that will describe evidence for evolution, but basically any book that explains anything about life science is evidence for evolution (you'd need to understand evolution to get that). Anyway, the point is, evolution is true, just accept it, what you really want to do is find a book that helps you understand what evolution is.

There isn't a thing wrong with wanting to know why something is true.

Back
Top Bottom