• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Boston things

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker
Hello everyone! I'm going to be doing some traveling in Massachusetts and Connecticut on family business for the next week or so, and though my weekdays are tied up, the first weekend in Boston MA is mine to explore. Given two free days, what would those of you familiar with the town suggest that I do? I've never north of New York before let alone to Boston, and have plans to visit the historical walk with all the museums on at least one of those days. But I am open to interesting experiences be they usual or unusual. My partner and I like historical arguments, playing frisbee with dogs, navigating unfamiliar mass transit systems, critiquing grand engineering feats, and taking overly long walks.

For good New England seafood, I recommend the Union Oyster House, which has been serving since 1848. At any rate they were good the last time I ate there, which was 50 years ago. I also like Concord, where you can stand on the "rude bridge that arched the flood". Concord has a lot of history - Walden Pond and more, like Thoreau, Emerson, the Alcott house, etc.

I grew up in Concord (pronounced “CON-kid,” never “conCORD,” that’s an airplane) and yes it has some great sightseeing - a full day’s worth between the Old North Bridge and the Manor overlooking it, Nathaniel Hawthornes’s house, Alcott House, Author’s ridge graveyard, Walden Pond and nearby Lexington attraction Minuteman National Park.

If you like the beach then Cape Cod is a delight and there is a long bike trail, I expect you can rent bikes to enjoy it, you can ride to beaches and views. With the first gay-friendly city, Provincetown (P-Town) at the end. You can take a ferry there from Boston.

On the North Shore near Gloucester (pronounced “glaw-stuh”) there is great off-the-boat seafood and the delightfully shallow Wingaersheek Beach which is great for frisbee at low tide due to the acres of flat sand. There used to be a clothing-optional beach (Singing Beach? The sands sing while you walk) also on the North Shore. North shore is anything north of Boston, but these two are both on Cape Ann, which is the next major land-knob north of Boston

If you like Italian food and/or Paul Revere, check out Boston’s North End. I enjoy exploring the Greenway, which is the park made where I93 once ran. Lots of green space/gardens and local artists and craftspeople selling their works, food trucks, etc. It’s also easy to get from Boston to Cambridge by foot or on the T, and there’s lots of fun stuff to see and do in Cambridge.

I always enjoy the aquarium, but I always enjoy all aquariums, your mileage may vary.

My last 30 trips to Boston, though, have been to go through Boston and up to Salem where my kid was at the University. We did spend a week touring Salem, but the city can't really support that much attention.
Fun for a day or two, see the pirate museum and ONE museum/tour on the witch trials. The trial period was not that long and all the museums cover the same material. Towards the end of the week, my only interest was discovering new ways the tour guide pronounced Tituba.

Tit-yuba
Tee-shuba
Tie-Two-Bah
Tie-Chew-buh

But the bus tour DID specifically mention that Paul Revere's ride was not all that impressive. IIRC, no way he shouted 'The British are coming' at a time when everyone considered themselves British...

I'll note that while the Cemetery in Plymouth is the oldest maintained one in the US that includes Europeans, there is little else worth seeing in Plymouth, MA. Plimoth Plantation is nice and well run, but I don't think worth the effort in going to.
I grew up in Concord (pronounced “CON-kid,” never “conCORD,” that’s an airplane) and yes it has some great sightseeing - a full day’s worth between the Old North Bridge and the Manor overlooking it, Nathaniel Hawthornes’s house, Alcott House, Author’s ridge graveyard, Walden Pond and nearby Lexington attraction Minuteman National Park.

If you like the beach then Cape Cod is a delight and there is a long bike trail, I expect you can rent bikes to enjoy it, you can ride to beaches and views. With the first gay-friendly city, Provincetown (P-Town) at the end. You can take a ferry there from Boston.
Do not drive to P-Town! Regarding the bike trail... if it is windy, it is hell going one direction... much like when boating in the Canal going against the current.

I always enjoy the aquarium, but I always enjoy all aquariums, your mileage may vary.

My last 30 trips to Boston, though, have been to go through Boston and up to Salem where my kid was at the University. We did spend a week touring Salem, but the city can't really support that much attention.
Fun for a day or two, see the pirate museum and ONE museum/tour on the witch trials. The trial period was not that long and all the museums cover the same material. Towards the end of the week, my only interest was discovering new ways the tour guide pronounced Tituba.

Tit-yuba
Tee-shuba
Tie-Two-Bah
Tie-Chew-buh

But the bus tour DID specifically mention that Paul Revere's ride was not all that impressive. IIRC, no way he shouted 'The British are coming' at a time when everyone considered themselves British...

Well, I am a practicing Pagan! Salem is a bit of a weird Mecca for the American set. I considered a trip up there, but decided that common interest is a tad macabre, and there's no shortage of metaphysical supplies at home. I do like aquariums though.

On the North Shore near Gloucester (pronounced “glaw-stuh”) there is great off-the-boat seafood and the delightfully shallow Wingaersheek Beach which is great for frisbee at low tide due to the acres of flat sand. There used to be a clothing-optional beach (Singing Beach? The sands sing while you walk) also on the North Shore. North shore is anything north of Boston, but these two are both on Cape Ann, which is the next major land-knob north of Boston

Ooh, thank you for all the suggestions! Am I supposed to attempt the proper pronunciations, or will mangling them just mark me as even more of a tourist?

I'll note that while the Cemetery in Plymouth is the oldest maintained one in the US that includes Europeans, there is little else worth seeing in Plymouth, MA. Plimoth Plantation is nice and well run, but I don't think worth the effort in going to.

Do not drive to P-Town! Regarding the bike trail... if it is windy, it is hell going one direction... much like when boating in the Canal going against the current.

I kind of want to see Plymouth as I have some family history there, the cemetery included, but you are not the first person I've talked to who felt a bit underwhelmed by a visit there.

I think I can handle a bit of wind but thank you for the warning!

Well, I am a practicing Pagan! Salem is a bit of a weird Mecca for the American set. I considered a trip up there, but decided that common interest is a tad macabre, and there's no shortage of metaphysical supplies at home.
Yeah, there are a few stores for witchcraft supplies and decorations, capitalizing on the public image of the town's name.
One of their mayors announced an effort to change the city's reputation and public image. problem is their two main industries are the witch trials and Halloween.

I kind of want to see Plymouth as I have some family history there, the cemetery included, but you are not the first person I've talked to who felt a bit underwhelmed by a visit there.

I grew up there.

I grew up there.

We're probably cousins.

I would say Boston Public park is a good place to hang out with friends and secondly Freedom Trail is best way to have a good walk, where a person can see many of worthwhile historical sites along with the walk. It's a must to do thing if you are there for first time.

Faneuil Hall. Yes, it's a tourist trap. Yes, it's basically a food court. But it's one of the best damn food courts ever, full of wonderful foods from unique vendors (no "fast food" joints here). It's right in the heart of downtown so you can walk around, go grab a bite; walk around, go back and grab another bite of something totally different; etc.

Kenmore Square used to be a great place to visit/hang out (the Rat!) but now not really, so I'd avoid it. But walking along Commonwealth Ave (toward the Boston Commons) is a nice stroll with some truly amazing old brownstone homes if you're into architecture. And any of the side streets/avenues are great as well, particularly Newbury and/or Boylston (which are the streets that run parallel to Comm Ave to your right as you face the Commons).

There are too many great restaurants to really name any particular one, so I'd definitely do a bit of yelping just to plan out a couple potentials to visit.

My .02

Oh, and definitely visit the the Mapparium if no one has mentioned that.

Faneuil Hall. Yes, it's a tourist trap. Yes, it's basically a food court. But it's one of the best damn food courts ever, full of wonderful foods from unique vendors (no "fast food" joints here). It's right in the heart of downtown so you can walk around, go grab a bite; walk around, go back and grab another bite of something totally different; etc.
Can confirm....

I grew up in Concord (pronounced “CON-kid,” never “conCORD,” that’s an airplane)
On the North Shore near Gloucester (pronounced “glaw-stuh”)

Ooh, thank you for all the suggestions! Am I supposed to attempt the proper pronunciations, or will mangling them just mark me as even more of a tourist?

Good question to ask. I would say the best pronunciation to NOT be noticed would be to say the “r” but do the rest as below:
CON-kerd (emphasis on first syllable, or equally between, but never on second syllable)
GLAW-ster (emphasis on first syllable again)

Can confirm....

Third. Fabulous food.

Pronounced “fannel” or “fan-yule” depending on which side of town you’re from. Either would be fine and disguise your degree of touristness.

It's been some years but I spent a nice weekend there doing all kinds of typical touristy stuff and eating seafood. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that there are harbor tours and whale watching tours if you find you don't have time to make it to Cape Cod. We even took a water taxi to the airport, just to say that we did it. I'm hoping to be able to get that direction again before too long.

Can confirm....

Third. Fabulous food.

Pronounced “fannel” or “fan-yule” depending on which side of town you’re from. Either would be fine and disguise your degree of touristness.

We had dinner at the little annex mall. Fanueil Hall itself was being renovated and not much to look ay.

I've been pronouning it "Fanny Hall" to annoy my east coast boyfriend. But then he seems to think it rhymes with Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom