• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

British and American Television Advertisements being broadcast in Australia

gmbteach

Mrs Frizzle
Basic Beliefs
On my journey :D
Okay, this thread probably won't appeal to other countries, but I am getting sick of British and American Ads being broadcast here in Australia. We are good enough to make our OWN ads, surely.

Two examples at the moment are:

Sensodyne - which is from England as evidenced by the power outlet and the accent of the 'Dr' talking.
Johnson and Johnson - shampoo and body lotion - which are from America and are part of the 'you're ok mom' series.

We are a clever country - so lets make our own flipping advertisements.

But why would the company pay for another commercial?

Because their target audience is actively repelled by their arrogant assumption that we will respond to a foreign commercial in a positive way.

When ads are carefully crafted to feel warm and inclusive in their home territory, they invariably come off looking creepy to foreign audiences. The execs making the decision to run the ad probably belong to the originating culture, and are blind to the fact that what sounds homely, familiar and comfortable to them sounds alien and wrong to their potential foreign customers.

There are some advertisers who believe that annoying the audience is fine - as long as they remember the ad as a result; those people deserve to be castrated with a blunt soup-spoon. But the ones who are oblivious to the fact that they are annoying need a smack.

They probably don't want to spend more to produce a commercial for 25 million person market. I suspect that its either show what they have in the can or don't advertise.

Do you know about the Foster's ad campaign in the states? They are trying to convince us that "Foster's" is Australian for beer. LOL

We sometimes get adverts which have to put at the bottom "not available in Northern Ireland" - especially in relation to insurance companies for some reason

For vacation trips to Australia, yes.

And the guy shilling for Outback Steakhouse has an Aussie accent in the commercials, but i think they're produced in Taiwan?
I guess that is my point. Why wouldn't you make your own ads and we make our own?
You miss my point, though.
it's not 'Americans' or 'Aussies' making the commercial. It's the company.
The company has spent $x on a commercial for an English speaking audience. It would take some research in lost sales to convince them that a new commercial for (nominally) English speakers would be worth another $Y.
If they spent, random number, a million dollars on an ad, and making another million dollar ad would only gain them half a million in sales, they're going to say 'good enough.'

Because their target audience is actively repelled by their arrogant assumption that we will respond to a foreign commercial in a positive way.
Good for you.
Is that affecting their sales, though?
I mean, everyone HERE is offended by WalMart's business practices and slave owner attitudes to their workers, but every time i go past the store, the parking lot is full.
When ads are carefully crafted to feel warm and inclusive in their home territory, they invariably come off looking creepy to foreign audiences. The execs making the decision to run the ad probably belong to the originating culture, and are blind to the fact that what sounds homely, familiar and comfortable to them sounds alien and wrong to their potential foreign customers.
Well, the main thing in most advertising is hoping they're going to remember your product. If the creepiness draws additional attention, and you remember the creepy commercial longer than the other commercials, it just might be considered a bonus to the execs
There are some advertisers who believe that annoying the audience is fine - as long as they remember the ad as a result; those people deserve to be castrated with a blunt soup-spoon.
An action that'll probably be worth another 5000 units sold, due to the consumers who feel sorry for the rat bastards....

But why would the company pay for another commercial?

There are some advertisers who believe that annoying the audience is fine - as long as they remember the ad as a result; those people deserve to be castrated with a blunt soup-spoon. But the ones who are oblivious to the fact that they are annoying need a smack.

Thank you Bilby, well said.

- - - Updated - - -

They probably don't want to spend more to produce a commercial for 25 million person market. I suspect that its either show what they have in the can or don't advertise.

Do you know about the Foster's ad campaign in the states? They are trying to convince us that "Foster's" is Australian for beer. LOL

Actually XXXX is Australian for Beer. It's much better than Fosters.

Thank you Bilby, well said.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually XXXX is Australian for Beer. It's much better than Fosters.

All the major Aussie beer brands are horrible flavourless adjunct beers made with cane sugar - they are deliberately designed to be bland, and while they are certainly refreshing on a hot day, they would always be my last choice of beer. Mainstream US beers suffer from much the same brewing philosophy; and similar low-quality flavourless beers can even be found in Europe.

I have to laugh at the idea that Fosters is Australian for anything - nobody here drinks it at all as far as I can tell - at least, not in the Eastern states. QLDers usually drink XXXX, Victorians generally drink VB or Carlton Draught, and New South Welshmen mostly drink Tooheys New; These beers are sufficiently similar to one another that I suspect they are all brewed to the same recipe; I know for a fact that they are all brewed in the same breweries - Castlemaine brew Tooheys and XXXX at Milton; CUB brew VB and Carlton Draught at Yatala - both breweries are in QLD.

Back
Top Bottom