• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Burger King Workers Need to Get a Real Job

and I can remember when Republicans actually had something worthwhile to say.

You mean like "hey we just won the Senate"?
Yeah, but what are they going to do with it? continue to destroy the nation? They still need the presidency and 2016 will probably see a Senate swing back to Democrat control.

Now back to the bashing of low-wage workers.

Idiot, look at our economy. Where are the real jobs you want them to get?

His advice would be reasonable in good times, not in current times. The Republicans live in a fantasyland where the great recession never happened.

His advice would be reasonable in good times, not in current times. The Republicans live in a fantasyland where the great recession never happened.

Notice he didn't say "let them get a real job" he said "let's get them a real job". And clearly in the context of adopting policies that would create more opportunities in the future.

Since I would imagine everyone wants to see policies that result in better jobs in the future and no one wants to see policies that trap people in McJobs forever, what ksen's panties are bunched up about is mostly him referring to McJobs as "not *real* jobs".

Which is not all that unlike what we are doing when we scoff at McJobs.

and I can remember when Republicans actually had something worthwhile to say.

You mean like "hey we just won the Senate"?

That might come to be a factual statement but not really "worthwhile". Also, the more complete version of that would be "Hey, we just gained more power to use to enrich ourselves and our corporate masters by lying to the voters and deliberately trying to harm the nation so we could blame the harm of the Dems, because "independent" voters are just dumb enough to fall for that."

Notice he didn't say "let them get a real job" he said "let's get them a real job". And clearly in the context of adopting policies that would create more opportunities in the future.

Since I would imagine everyone wants to see policies that result in better jobs in the future and no one wants to see policies that trap people in McJobs forever, what ksen's panties are bunched up about is mostly him referring to McJobs as "not *real* jobs".

Actually my panties are in a bunch because this doofus has the temerity to say "let's get them a real job" when his party has been working nonstop since the 80s to get them in the position they're in right now.

Will he be working against his party leadership?

Actually my panties are in a bunch because this doofus has the temerity to say "let's get them a real job" when his party has been working nonstop since the 80s to get them in the position they're in right now.

Then it seems rather odd that you titled it "Burger King workers need to get a real job".

Then it seems rather odd that you titled it "Burger King workers need to get a real job".

edit: I see that wasn't you, but Athena - never mind.

Actually the first comment shouldn't have been addressed at you either. I don't know how I could have gotten so confused. It's not like you post an unrelenting stream of thinkprogress links here or anything.

I hardly ever post ThinkProgress links anymore.

But you're embarassed and just lashing out right now. It's ok buddy, we're still friends. Let it go.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU[/youtube]

I hardly ever post ThinkProgress links anymore.

But you're embarassed and just lashing out right now. It's ok buddy, we're still friends. Let it go.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU[/youtube]

Not too embarrassed because the point really had nothing to do with you and your panties. That was just in there for color.

The Republicans are doing nothing to create real jobs.

At franchises of McDonald's and Burger King and other fast food restaurants famous for minimum wage jobs, are you as a franchise owner allowed to pay employees more, or are wages fixed centrally, and forced on you through the franchise agreement? Who is the bad guy here? The Franchise owner or the corporate CEO?
Wages are not fixed centrally. Local establishments can offer more if they need to attract workers.

They will only offer higher wages if they have to to attract workers. This will only happen if there is a shortage of workers. As long as we tolerate a high level of unemployment and under employment, workers having to take parttime work or a job that they are over qualified for, then the supply of workers will exceed the demand and wages will stay low.

Maintaining a high level of unemployment and unemployment is done intentionally in the US to keep wages low and to increase profits and the incomes of the already wealthy. We also maintain a high level of immigration both legal and illegal, maintain a a high level of free trade, intentionally obstruct unions, reduce taxes on the wealthy, increase the taxes on everyone else and keep the minimum wage low to accomplish the same result.

All that it requires is that we have to lie to ourselves about why we do these things so that the sheep who vote for the people who advocate these policies don't realize the reason behind all of these policies, to keep wages low and profits high.

This combination of policies intended to keep wages low and profits high by intentionally increasing income inequity is bad for the economy because it reduces effective demand. The main component of demand is wages. Keeping wages and in turn demand low reduces the growth in the economy as well as how much economic activity there is, the amount of money that is created and the so-called velocity of the money that it creates. In simple terms the already wealthy who control the Republican party who advocate these policies, are saying that they are willing to settle for a bigger piece of a smaller pie.

This all comes down to what you believe that the economy is suppose to do and to a very large degree how our society is suppose to operate. The Republicans want you to believe, they need you to believe, that the current set of economic policies that direct ever increasing amounts of the nation's income to the already wealthy aren't responsible for directing ever increasing amounts of the nation's income to the already wealthy. This is in spite of the fact that thirty five years ago when they championed and instituted these policies they were sold to the American people as doing the very same thing that the the Republicans now deny that the policies do, direct ever increasing amounts of income to the already wealthy in order to provide more money available for investment to increase growth. Investment that has dropped over the last thirty five years, not increased. As has growth slowed. The rich have gotten much richer. The poor and middle class are much worse off. You'd be forgiven if you believed that this, and not increased investment was the reason for these policies.

How about the teens who are in need of the jobs and have the highest unemployment and can still live with their parents until graduation?

- - - Updated - - -

I thought McDonalds was the fast food demon of the world. So now they're picking on Burger King?

Please don't tell me they're going to go after someone other than Walmart!

The enemy of people of the right and the left is the corporate system.

It is destroying the planet and keeping the pay of workers as low as possible.

But it is the corporate system not a demon. It does these things with a smiling face.

And yet the environment in the US is probably the cleanest it has been in 200 years, certainly far cleaner than it was 100 years ago. Also, US worker pay from 100 years ago is up almost 10-fold, during which time the corporate system has been firmly in place. Something about your world view doesn't match up with the facts of reality.

Often these low pay service jobs are the only jobs left in a region. You now have middle age and older workers with college and post graduate degrees working there; workers who used to have solid, middle-class jobs -- sent overseas by Republican backed policies or wiped out by corporate consolidation.
Now these Republicans blame the victims of their own policies.

You'd almost think corporate America didn't want a 'troublesome' middle class; that it preferred a large pool of needy, compliant, apolitical workers.

What we are seeing is a widening gap between the cognitive educated class and the rest. Republican policies have almost nothing to do with the cause of this.

Back
Top Bottom