• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Business Realities or What I Have Learned From the Internet.

My understanding is the big change was the result of computer technology and telecommunications, air transportation etc. all of which made possible the global economy. The productivity gains pretty much all went to management. Less labor was required, ending a century old trend of real rising wages for labor in the US. The civil rights and women's movements also put pressure on the labor market.

Instead of raises, workers were offered unsecured loans in the form of credit cards.

Yes, those were part of it, but only a very small part. The shift from rewarding wages to rewarding capital, profits, started long before the gains in productivity from the use of the computer, at least fifteen years. Before Reaganomics the benefits from productivity gains were split between wages and profits. One of the main ways that Reaganomics worked to build capital was by changing this is to only reward capital with the gains from productivity. Reaganomics did this by eroding labor's ability to negotiate wages collectively by suppressing the unions.

And globalization was started not by the internet, once again, you are fifteen years too early between the start of globalization and the widespread use of the internet for business globalization. The calls for free trade as it was called then came from a surprising source, businesses and the people who would later be called movement conservatism. They had previously shared the desire for high custom duties with labor. Whether they intended it or not the net result of free trade was to expose American workers to competition from much lower paid workers in other countries.

And yes, the reaction of the wage earners to their reduced circumstances was to borrow money. Combined with movement conservatism's promotion of the interests of Wall Street and the broader financial industry which resulted in the virtual abandonment of the concept of usury, the results were predictably disastrous, debt deflation.

That is not my understanding. We're talking about the impact of computers on business, not PCs. When a business no longer needed an auditing team to figure out how many of which items had been sold. When any place on the planet could be reached by jet or telephone.

Computerization began to scale in the seventies, which, not coincidentally, is when globalization started to take off. Reagan, IMO, was a response to these forces, a reaction, not an action.

While I agree that the proper response to these problems is regulation, I think it will have to be on a global scale to be effective. The only world govt we have, apart from the UN who nobody in the first world takes very seriously, is the g20 and the like. They recognize the need for unified action on a global scale. Can such a peoples move happen? I'd like to think so, but I'm pessimistic.

Yes, those were part of it, but only a very small part. The shift from rewarding wages to rewarding capital, profits, started long before the gains in productivity from the use of the computer, at least fifteen years. Before Reaganomics the benefits from productivity gains were split between wages and profits. One of the main ways that Reaganomics worked to build capital was by changing this is to only reward capital with the gains from productivity. Reaganomics did this by eroding labor's ability to negotiate wages collectively by suppressing the unions.

And globalization was started not by the internet, once again, you are fifteen years too early between the start of globalization and the widespread use of the internet for business globalization. The calls for free trade as it was called then came from a surprising source, businesses and the people who would later be called movement conservatism. They had previously shared the desire for high custom duties with labor. Whether they intended it or not the net result of free trade was to expose American workers to competition from much lower paid workers in other countries.

And yes, the reaction of the wage earners to their reduced circumstances was to borrow money. Combined with movement conservatism's promotion of the interests of Wall Street and the broader financial industry which resulted in the virtual abandonment of the concept of usury, the results were predictably disastrous, debt deflation.

That is not my understanding. We're talking about the impact of computers on business, not PCs. When a business no longer needed an auditing team to figure out how many of which items had been sold. When any place on the planet could be reached by jet or telephone.

Computerization began to scale in the seventies, which, not coincidentally, is when globalization started to take off. Reagan, IMO, was a response to these forces, a reaction, not an action.

While I agree that the proper response to these problems is regulation, I think it will have to be on a global scale to be effective. The only world govt we have, apart from the UN who nobody in the first world takes very seriously, is the g20 and the like. They recognize the need for unified action on a global scale. Can such a peoples move happen? I'd like to think so, but I'm pessimistic.

Yep..the stagnation that's talked about started in '73, before Reagan. It's been a combination of several things, China, the change in family structure and wealth from easier divorce, mechanization, computerization, and the complete abandonment of the gold standard (though most don't want to blame this). I'm not sure of Axulus is participating in this thread, but he started one on the other board about trying to find the country or countries around the world that didn't do supply side economics and compare how it's growth compared to the US.

While we are going to extremes. How about the belief that corporate bathrooms use $100 bills as toilet paper and if they have to give up profits they will just have to stop using $100 bills as TP.

Please quote anyone who has actually claimed that corporate bathrooms use $100 bills as toilet paper.

While we are going to extremes. How about the belief that corporate bathrooms use $100 bills as toilet paper and if they have to give up profits they will just have to stop using $100 bills as TP.

Please quote anyone who has actually claimed that corporate bathrooms use $100 bills as toilet paper.

You are right, but its from the belief that all businesses can afford the wage increase from forcing higher wages and the only affect it will have is lower profits.

By Loren :Look at what is happening in areas of high hurricane threat. They're being required to sell homeowners policies at far below cost if they want to do business at all.
That is certainly not the case in Florida. Considering that the variation on cost is dependent on the location of the property. Property located near by bodies of water susceptible to be affected by tropical cyclones surge and beach front properties are certainly not benefiting of any such mandate of selling "home owner policies at far below cost". Further Florida home/property owners are constantly reminded to read the "fine print" considering that the cost of a policy will vary based on the distinction between wind caused damages and water caused damages. Some insurance companies remaining reluctant to offer a comprehensive coverage for water caused damages on homes/properties located in flooding zones. Those flooding zones being clearly designated as such and mapped for each county.

The only reason why as a Florida home owner I benefit of a low cost policy is because our property is NOT located in a flooding zone thus removing the need to contract a policy which covers damages resulting from flooding. Not because there is a mandate for a "far below cost" issued to insurance providers.

The policies near the coast cost more but nowhere near the actual price difference. The companies are being made to sell the policies cheap in order to do business at all. The real premiums would be in the 5 figures in most cases.

Made to by whom? Facts with links to original sources please

You are right, but its from the belief that all businesses can afford the wage increase from forcing higher wages and the only affect it will have is lower profits.

That's your belief?

That's your belief?

Nope, I think it does cause a combination of job loss and price increase and it's a cycle that won't help the poor that it's trying to help.

By Loren :Look at what is happening in areas of high hurricane threat. They're being required to sell homeowners policies at far below cost if they want to do business at all.
That is certainly not the case in Florida. Considering that the variation on cost is dependent on the location of the property. Property located near by bodies of water susceptible to be affected by tropical cyclones surge and beach front properties are certainly not benefiting of any such mandate of selling "home owner policies at far below cost". Further Florida home/property owners are constantly reminded to read the "fine print" considering that the cost of a policy will vary based on the distinction between wind caused damages and water caused damages. Some insurance companies remaining reluctant to offer a comprehensive coverage for water caused damages on homes/properties located in flooding zones. Those flooding zones being clearly designated as such and mapped for each county.

The only reason why as a Florida home owner I benefit of a low cost policy is because our property is NOT located in a flooding zone thus removing the need to contract a policy which covers damages resulting from flooding. Not because there is a mandate for a "far below cost" issued to insurance providers.

The policies near the coast cost more but nowhere near the actual price difference. The companies are being made to sell the policies cheap in order to do business at all. The real premiums would be in the 5 figures in most cases.

The state insurance regulators.

Yep..the stagnation that's talked about started in '73, before Reagan. It's been a combination of several things, China, the change in family structure and wealth from easier divorce, mechanization, computerization, and the complete abandonment of the gold standard (though most don't want to blame this). I'm not sure of Axulus is participating in this thread, but he started one on the other board about trying to find the country or countries around the world that didn't do supply side economics and compare how it's growth compared to the US.

I would argue that the stresses on families and marriages are of economic origin. Pay people enough to have one or one and a half earners per family along with job security and you will see fewer divorces.

I'm no expert on the Far East, but it seems to me that China is behaving like the other Asian tigers with their highly planned economies.

I'm skeptical of moral explanations for economic developments.

I would argue that the stresses on families and marriages are of economic origin. Pay people enough to have one or one and a half earners per family along with job security and you will see fewer divorces.

I'm no expert on the Far East, but it seems to me that China is behaving like the other Asian tigers with their highly planned economies.

Yes economic conditions are a cause for family strife, but what I was talking about was the 60s brought about changes in the divorce laws. The law allowed it to become much easier to get divorced (no fault was expanded). So we've traded additional poverty, single family homes for the ability to break up unhappy marriages. The 60s was also the rise of feminism and women entering the workforce and the two income family. As they say to get wealthy, get married, stay married, and postpone children.

The stagflation of the 70s was from the oil shocks, not more divorces.

The state insurance regulators.

Facts with links please

Yes economic conditions are a cause for family strife, but what I was talking about was the 60s brought about changes in the divorce laws. The law allowed it to become much easier to get divorced (no fault was expanded). So we've traded additional poverty, single family homes for the ability to break up unhappy marriages. The 60s was also the rise of feminism and women entering the workforce and the two income family. As they say to get wealthy, get married, stay married, and postpone children.

So you are still with the breakdown of morals thing.

Propaganda to persuade you you're not being robbed because you don't deserve any better. No sale.

Yes. It's a huge externality that doesn't show in the usual metrics, with children the hardest hit.

Loren Pechtel's response post #51 to the second split of three that I made out of my response to his initial post. I hope!

I have identified one problem, when we click the "reply with quote" the system chops off the first second level quote and starts with the direct response to that second level quote. But only in long quotes, which is all that I see of course! When I reply with quote this post of Loren's the first thing that I see is Loren's statement that begins "In other words, you want to freeze the total standard of living and redistribute it instead." I have manually added my paragraph that appears in his response but that didn't make it into mine when I pressed "reply with quote" button.

This means that I owe Loren an apology for accusing him of editing these quotes out. I owe the same to Lumpenproletariat and Boneyard Bill too.

I want to be absolutely clear, I want to reduce profits in the long term. The seed corn as you call it has filled all of the available storage. As I said before tens of trillions of dollars in monetary capital are sitting in banks here and overseas, money earned in profits over the last thirty five years of conservative, supply side economic fiscal policies.

In other words, you want to freeze the total standard of living and redistribute it instead.

No, I want to slow down and reverse the redistribution of money from wages to profits that we started thirty five years ago with the unrealized promise that it would result in higher domestic investment in production facilities. I want to increase the wages of the lower 50% of earners to eliminate poverty. This would be a tremendous increase the standard of living for the lower earning 50%.

Down the road we won't develop solutions to our resource problems. Goodbye humanity.

Hyperbole. We are currently suffering from too little demand in the economy due to low wages. And financial instability because of too much monetary capital with no productive investments available to use it because of the low demand. This is the only reasonable solution, increase wages and decrease profits.

Note: There's no such thing as being full up with seed corn. It's just a matter of diminishing returns.

We passed the point of diminishing returns on increases in monetary capital very shortly after we started to intentionally boost profits and therefore monetary capital. We almost immediately started building various asset bubbles as this excess capital tried to find investments. We quickly reached negative returns as one after another the bubbles popped causing financial crises, recessions and lost growth. The excess monetary capital is causing crisis after crisis and recession after recession.

The reason for the large amount of monetary capital just sitting in banks is that this money can't find any real investments in production facilities that is the only investments that finally count to grow the economy. The reason is that there is insufficient demand for the production that the investments would produce. And what is the primary source of demand? Wages. What is the obvious solution for a excess of monetary capital caused by high profits and a lack of demand caused by low wages? I will leave you to work it out. If you need help contact me. Or re-read this.

A short-term problem. You're trying to fix it with a long-term solution.

If you believe that thirty five years is a short term.

But the ability of more efficient suppliers being able to add new production capacity to satisfy any unfulfilled demand from the long term loss of the inefficient supplier going bankrupt is in the same time frame, years.

You're assuming there are more efficient suppliers. You have no basis for this assumption.

I am assuming that the survivors are more efficient than the marginal companies that fail. This is wrong because you think that the more efficient companies will fail while the less efficient companies don't?

The point is that you are assuming there is always a more efficient supplier. When things get bad enough even the efficient ones fail.

I was told by you about three paragraphs up that I can't assume that there are more efficient suppliers, but you can? I don't know where that leaves us. If I can be so bold to assume like you do that there are more efficient suppliers that would let me tell you that you are absolutely right, that when things get bad like they did in 2008 even the more efficient suppliers fail. All the more reason to dry up the excess monetary capital that builds huge asset bubbles like the one in home mortgages that caused the largest recession since the Great Depression when it burst.

Loren, you live in a world of absolutes. Where everything is either black or white, either good or bad. I am sure that I can't be the first person to tell you this.

No. I recognize that there is a spectrum, you do not. Since it's a spectrum there's always somebody on the edge that won't take a lot of pushing to fall over. You're dividing the world into efficient (able to withstand any shove you might choose to administer) and inefficient (which will go under anyway.)

This discussion is about your belief that a mandated increase in wages always forces suppliers to fail and that their production and jobs aren't replaced. And you believe this because supply and demand force the prices below a floor of marginal product cost that has been increased by the mandated wage increase, causing the companies to fail completely.

And you believe that this represents a measured, nuanced theory that is based on the consideration of only the most on the edge of the spectrum supplier. That this consideration of the most inefficient suppliers should be the basis of our policies. And you don't consider this to be an absolutist position because we should always govern to protect the most inefficient companies even if by doing so we commit 4 million minimum wage workers to a wage that confines them in poverty.

But voluntary wage increases don't cause these problems. For this part of your theory we have to abandon the marginal product cost theory because it doesn't distinguish between a voluntary wage increase and an involuntary one, either would require the loss of jobs in the neoclassical version or the company completely failing in the measured, multifaceted, full spectrum Loren version.

To support this assertion all that we have to do is to assume that it is correct, and by the application of logic, there is your proof, that mandated wage increases cause companies to fail and voluntary wage increases don't. Not absolutist at all.

Coupled with a rather incomplete knowledge of the economics theories that you believe in and champion it leaves you rather poorly equipped to discuss these matters. If this is the way that all of your opinions are formed I would think that this observation would extend to almost any adult subject.

Your "economics" only make sense if there is an infinite pool of profit to take to fund your ideas.

If my wages go up by $20 a week, my employer's profits go down by what? My economics says by $20 a week, ignoring tax considerations. Where have I assumed an infinite pool of profits?

The minimum wage is raised to $10.10 an hour over three years. The CBO estimates that this will increase wages by a total of 19 billion dollars a year and decrease profits by 17 billion dollars a year, the difference is added profits from the increase in demand. Where have they assumed an infinite pool of profits?

Among the rabid opponents of any increase in wages you stand out as the most determined. There is no exception to "this will cause unemployment" that you won't dismiss out of hand without any explanation, but with a simple chant, "no exceptions, any increase is economic suicide."

I'm not saying it's economic suicide. I'm saying that you are trading wages for unemployment. Saying it's a bad thing isn't the same as saying it's suicide.

Okay, it isn't economic suicide, it is just a bad thing, but it is enough of bad thing that we shouldn't do it because any increase is enough to push some supplier somewhere over the edge which though something like the 'butterfly effect' might bring businesses down like what happened in 2008?

I don't get upset at the often offered idea of "if a ten dollar minimum wage is a good thing and won't cause unemployment why don't we raise it to one hundred dollars?" (Which I am not saying that you have ever asked.) I am an engineer and we are taught to consider the boundary conditions of any question. This is a boundary condition and obviously it tells us something, that there is a limit to how high (and how fast) we can raise wages, obviously.

But it is not the only boundary condition. So I ask you, will we cause unemployment if we raise the minimum wage by 10¢ an hour? About what inflation will reduce the purchasing power of the wage this year.

But you're still missing the point. We are proving two data points: Current unemployment vs the extreme unemployment of an extreme minimum wage. An engineer certainly can draw the line through those two points. Realistically, also, there's a third point, albeit fuzzy: Minimum wage $0 leaves almost no unemployment. Thus you have something approximating a hyperbola in the first quadrant.

If you are right that raising the minimum wage will improve the situation you have to show that it's actually at least a third order equation. No effort is being made to show how this effect works--and I'm sure you're familiar with Occam's razor.

Occam's Razor can be stated as when faced with multiple possible solutions go with the one with the fewest assumptions. This would rule out mainstream neoclassical free market economics completely. They actually have a tenet that says that the more assumptions that are made the closer the result is to an universal truth. I am not kidding. This was dreamed up by Milton Friedman. Of course, he was so wrong so often that he had to come up with all manner of excuses.

I seriously doubt that unemployment is solely dependent on just the minimum wages that are paid. There might be a few more variables that go much further to determine the unemployment rate than the level of the minimum wage. This is your contention, that there is a direct relationship between the minimum wage level and unemployment.

You have assumed that a zero wage produces no unemployment. You do realize that this slavery, right? You anchoring your unemployment to minimum wage rate killer function at slavery?

I don't believe that employers will hire more people if their wages drop. Most employers only hire the minimum number of people that they need to do a job.

Since you can so clearly visualize the relationship between unemployment and the minimum wage I am expecting that you will now be able to answer the questions that you have ignored up, if we increase the minimum wage by 10¢ an hour how many people are going to be unemployed? And if we raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour how many people are we going to throw out of work? Because businesses will fail and the jobs and the production can't be replaced because you say that it can't since it is a forced wage increase.

I don't have to show that raising the minimum wage produces a third order affect on unemployment. I am raising the minimum wage in order to improve these people's lives. It is the minimum that we have to do.

We are suffering from too little demand right now, and it is only going to get worse. Look at the huge numbers of baby boomers who are retiring. We are not going to able to replace many of them because of demographics. And those that do come in to the workforce will be earning much less money than the baby boomers who are retiring. Wages equals demand. You won't have any supply without demand for it, just more excess monetary capital to build asset bubbles with, and its resulting financial instability.

Likewise as I have explained many times here is that it makes no sense for an employer to lay off employees when wages go up. The supplier will lose more profit by laying off the workers. I assume that you now understand this and this is the reason for the strained 'any increase is going to force businesses to go under and these jobs and this production can't be replaced as they would be normally because if they could that would mean that I am wrong' theory.

Loren, an improvement over your one line responses. Good.

Its too late to break this apart.

Are you saying that the CPI is flawed? I'd agree with you there.

Yep. So I don't think we can really make a comparison with a group living X years ago compared with with today

But what are the flaws in the CPI? The Boskin Commission had these complaints about the make up of the CPI,

1. It didn't include goods that were important to large numbers of consumers.
  2. It didn't take into account that consumers could substitute one good for another that had gotten too expensive, hamburger for steak.
  3. That it didn't take into account of the changing patterns of retail sales, more Walmart, less Macy's.
  4. That everyone on the commission had a gut feeling that the CPI overstated inflation by 1%, at least.

The problem that they encountered was that when any one or all of the first three factors were put into the index and compared with historical data it didn't matter, the short term inflation rate would blip down and then return to the same inflation rate as the current much maligned CPI. Rather than trying to figure out why the commission went with number 4 and ordered the BLS to arbitrarily subtract 1.1% from whatever inflation rate that the current CPI calculated.

(This result wasn't a surprise to the cynics among us, who considered #4 to be less of a problem of the current CPI as it was a prerequisite to be on the Boskin commission. I am such a cynic. I will wait for the shock to subside. ...)

But why didn't the other factors prove that the current CPI is fatally flawed? It is simple, after the initial blip the new factors, hamburger or Walmart prices kept increasing at about the same rate as steak and Macy's prices. Inflation is a general economy wide increase in prices. And it measures the change from year to year. It is not so important what the individual components of the index are.

The next phase after finding out that the real world data doesn't support a cherished belief is to attack the data. When that fails it is to attack the credibility of the messenger.

So you are still with the breakdown of morals thing.

Propaganda to persuade you you're not being robbed because you don't deserve any better. No sale.

Not a breakdown, just a change in morals and the tradeoffs that we have gotten for them. People yearn for the time of higher unionization and the glory years of the past, but forget it was a time where a woman's place was one of the three or four jobs only.

Yep. So I don't think we can really make a comparison with a group living X years ago compared with with today

But what are the flaws in the CPI? The Boskin Commission had these complaints about the make up of the CPI,

2. It didn't take into account that consumers could substitute one good for another that had gotten too expensive, hamburger for steak.
  3. That it didn't take into account of the changing patterns of retail sales, more Walmart, less Macy's.
  4. That everyone on the commission had a gut feeling that the CPI overstated inflation by 1%, at least.

The problem that they encountered was that when any one or all of the first three factors were put into the index and compared with historical data it didn't matter, the short term inflation rate would blip down and then return to the same inflation rate as the current much maligned CPI. Rather than trying to figure out why the commission went with number 4 and ordered the BLS to arbitrarily subtract 1.1% from whatever inflation rate that the current CPI calculated.

(This result wasn't a surprise to the cynics among us, who considered #4 to be less of a problem of the current CPI as it was a prerequisite to be on the Boskin commission. I am such a cynic. I will wait for the shock to subside. ...)

But why didn't the other factors prove that the current CPI is fatally flawed? It is simple, after the initial blip the new factors, hamburger or Walmart prices kept increasing at about the same rate as steak and Macy's prices. Inflation is a general economy wide increase in prices. And it measures the change from year to year. It is not so important what the individual components of the index are.

The next phase after finding out that the real world data doesn't support a cherished belief is to attack the data. When that fails it is to attack the credibility of the messenger.

You forgot quality improvements and introduction of new items. Cell phones, PCs, and Internet along with a whole bunch of other items didn't even exist until the 80s and 90s yet we supposedly can say it's easy to compare it to the 60s?

In other words, you want to freeze the total standard of living and redistribute it instead.

No, I want to slow down and reverse the redistribution of money from wages to profits that we started thirty five years ago with the unrealized promise that it would result in higher domestic investment in production facilities. I want to increase the wages of the lower 50% of earners to eliminate poverty. This would be a tremendous increase the standard of living for the lower earning 50%.

I don't want a week, 7 days is fine!

Down the road we won't develop solutions to our resource problems. Goodbye humanity.

Hyperbole. We are currently suffering from too little demand in the economy due to low wages. And financial instability because of too much monetary capital with no productive investments available to use it because of the low demand. This is the only reasonable solution, increase wages and decrease profits.

The demand problem is because the economy got a major whack. I do not mind measures specifically targeted on correcting the current problems but "temporary" taxes never are, if we are going to create a tax it must be designed only to hit where it's needed and be inherently self-limiting. (Say, a tax whose rate is based on the profit margin of the company.)

And resource depletion is a very real problem. Many resources are being used up faster than more is being found, there are some scary numbers in years left--numbers within the lifespan of many of the posters on this board.

The more money we divert to consumer spending the less chance we have of averting catastrophe.

Note: There's no such thing as being full up with seed corn. It's just a matter of diminishing returns.

We passed the point of diminishing returns on increases in monetary capital very shortly after we started to intentionally boost profits and therefore monetary capital. We almost immediately started building various asset bubbles as this excess capital tried to find investments. We quickly reached negative returns as one after another the bubbles popped causing financial crises, recessions and lost growth. The excess monetary capital is causing crisis after crisis and recession after recession.

You are still assuming we are overfunding profit rather than simply reducing the amount we divert to consumers.

I do agree there is a problem with stupid asset classes but that's better addressed by going after the stupid asset classes rather than trying to take away the money. (For example, things that separate risk from the underlying asset are in effect insurance and should be subject to exposure limits. We supposedly learned our lesson about such things in 1929 and correctly responded by imposing margin limits--but we didn't apply the lesson to new sources of instability. Had we done so there would have been no meltdown)

The reason for the large amount of monetary capital just sitting in banks is that this money can't find any real investments in production facilities that is the only investments that finally count to grow the economy. The reason is that there is insufficient demand for the production that the investments would produce. And what is the primary source of demand? Wages. What is the obvious solution for a excess of monetary capital caused by high profits and a lack of demand caused by low wages? I will leave you to work it out. If you need help contact me. Or re-read this.

A short-term problem. You're trying to fix it with a long-term solution.

If you believe that thirty five years is a short term.

I don't believe it's 35 years. The money sitting around has been more like 5 years.

You're assuming there are more efficient suppliers. You have no basis for this assumption.

I am assuming that the survivors are more efficient than the marginal companies that fail. This is wrong because you think that the more efficient companies will fail while the less efficient companies don't?

The point is that you are assuming there is always a more efficient supplier. When things get bad enough even the efficient ones fail.

I was told by you about three paragraphs up that I can't assume that there are more efficient suppliers, but you can? I don't know where that leaves us. If I can be so bold to assume like you do that there are more efficient suppliers that would let me tell you that you are absolutely right, that when things get bad like they did in 2008 even the more efficient suppliers fail. All the more reason to dry up the excess monetary capital that builds huge asset bubbles like the one in home mortgages that caused the largest recession since the Great Depression when it burst.

You're mixing things up here.

There is a range of efficiencies in suppliers. When you clip off the less efficient you contract the range, you don't magically make even more efficient suppliers appear. Thus if you clip enough you remove even efficient suppliers. Once again you're assuming there's always the money there to take no matter how much you take.

But voluntary wage increases don't cause these problems. For this part of your theory we have to abandon the marginal product cost theory because it doesn't distinguish between a voluntary wage increase and an involuntary one, either would require the loss of jobs in the neoclassical version or the company completely failing in the measured, multifaceted, full spectrum Loren version.

To support this assertion all that we have to do is to assume that it is correct, and by the application of logic, there is your proof, that mandated wage increases cause companies to fail and voluntary wage increases don't. Not absolutist at all.

You're not getting it at all.

"Voluntary" wage increases occur because they can't find cheaper workers and it's worth it to them to hire the more expensive ones. This is distinct from the case where workers are expensive but not worth it--you simply find the jobs disappearing. (For example, our "throwaway" society--much of which is because the cost of repair simply isn't worth it.)

When you force a wage increase you have no indication that the more expensive workers are worth it, you're more likely to see the second case--the jobs vanishing--than the first.

Coupled with a rather incomplete knowledge of the economics theories that you believe in and champion it leaves you rather poorly equipped to discuss these matters. If this is the way that all of your opinions are formed I would think that this observation would extend to almost any adult subject.

Your "economics" only make sense if there is an infinite pool of profit to take to fund your ideas.

If my wages go up by $20 a week, my employer's profits go down by what? My economics says by $20 a week, ignoring tax considerations. Where have I assumed an infinite pool of profits?

Your arguments almost never address whether they can bear the costs or not. The only way this is a sane position is if you know they can without analyzing the situation. That only happens if the pool you're trying to draw from is effectively infinite.

The minimum wage is raised to $10.10 an hour over three years. The CBO estimates that this will increase wages by a total of 19 billion dollars a year and decrease profits by 17 billion dollars a year, the difference is added profits from the increase in demand. Where have they assumed an infinite pool of profits?

You're assuming the loss of $17 billion will have no effect. That's only true if the pool you are drawing it from is far greater than $17 billion. Remember that we are talking about 1% of workers, generally in low-capital businesses. The pool of profit there is way over $17 billion?? You know that how?

Okay, it isn't economic suicide, it is just a bad thing, but it is enough of bad thing that we shouldn't do it because any increase is enough to push some supplier somewhere over the edge which though something like the 'butterfly effect' might bring businesses down like what happened in 2008?

I'm simply looking at costs & benefits. If the costs exceed the benefits it's a bad thing. It doesn't matter if the result is catastrophic or not for this to be true.

I see some people being helped at the expense of throwing others off the ladder to success. I consider that a bad thing.

Forbes sums it up: http://www.forbes.com/sites/warrenm...t-rung-on-the-ladder-of-success-out-of-reach/

Occam's Razor can be stated as when faced with multiple possible solutions go with the one with the fewest assumptions. This would rule out mainstream neoclassical free market economics completely. They actually have a tenet that says that the more assumptions that are made the closer the result is to an universal truth. I am not kidding. This was dreamed up by Milton Friedman. Of course, he was so wrong so often that he had to come up with all manner of excuses.

Case 1, proven: Higher minimum wage causes unemployment.

Case 2, unsupported: Higher minimum wage helps up to some point.

You are insisting #2 is true but providing no evidence for it. It's a complexity that explains no facts. Occam's Razor says to drop it.

I seriously doubt that unemployment is solely dependent on just the minimum wages that are paid. There might be a few more variables that go much further to determine the unemployment rate than the level of the minimum wage. This is your contention, that there is a direct relationship between the minimum wage level and unemployment.

You have assumed that a zero wage produces no unemployment. You do realize that this slavery, right? You anchoring your unemployment to minimum wage rate killer function at slavery?

Zero would never happen, you would reach the market-clearing price first. It's just a convenient data point we can evaluate to get a picture of what the curve looks like.

I don't believe that employers will hire more people if their wages drop. Most employers only hire the minimum number of people that they need to do a job.

You're assuming a static world. In practice the cheaper workers are the more beneficial jobs employers will find for them.

Since you can so clearly visualize the relationship between unemployment and the minimum wage I am expecting that you will now be able to answer the questions that you have ignored up, if we increase the minimum wage by 10¢ an hour how many people are going to be unemployed? And if we raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour how many people are we going to throw out of work? Because businesses will fail and the jobs and the production can't be replaced because you say that it can't since it is a forced wage increase.

We don't have the data to figure numbers. We can clearly see it will happen, though.

I don't have to show that raising the minimum wage produces a third order affect on unemployment. I am raising the minimum wage in order to improve these people's lives. It is the minimum that we have to do.

You're appealing to emotion, not logic. Such arguments are almost inevitably wrong.

Likewise as I have explained many times here is that it makes no sense for an employer to lay off employees when wages go up. The supplier will lose more profit by laying off the workers. I assume that you now understand this and this is the reason for the strained 'any increase is going to force businesses to go under and these jobs and this production can't be replaced as they would be normally because if they could that would mean that I am wrong' theory.

Once again, you're assuming an infinite pool of profits.

The reality is that not everything an employer does is equally profitable. As costs go up the least profitable things can become unprofitable and will be dropped if the employer realizes they're costing money instead of making it.

You're assuming substitutions are a one-time thing.

I do agree that they are cutting it too far but I don't see that you are proving it.

What I think they should have done is quit looking at a basket of goods in the first place.

Instead, the basket should contain needs & desires. Look around, see what goods are needed to satisfy them. The goods can vary from year to year, the basket can remain pretty much unchanged.

Back
Top Bottom