• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

California May Have a Random Celebrity Republican as Governor Soon

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker
I don't know how many of our posters here will be interested in such a local political question, but California's governor is facing a recall election next month. My ballot just arrived in the mail. The whole affair is giving me very bad vibes; the conditions are similar to when Grey Davis was recalled in 2003, one of the first elections I had ever voted in, and one which resulted in Arnold Schwarzenegger leading the state into fiscal and humanitarian disaster for six years. I'm still traumatized, obviously. Why do the Republicans always nominate random clowns for very important offices? This time, it's Caitlyn Jenner taking Schwarzenegger's place as the "inconsistent moderate who is not particularly liked by any faction but whose name/brand is recognizable due to being a celebrity" slot. The only person the RNC has as back up if not Jenner is shock jock radio host Larry Elder, likewise a local celebrity with no actual credentials or experience for the role, who thinks slavery should be "ideally" re-legalized in the state. And the Democratic Party is making many of the same mistakes now that they did then: allowing the election board to phrase the recall question on the ballot confusingly ("yes" means boot him, "no" means keep him) and encouraging voters to leave the second side of the ballot, which names Newsom's possible successor, blank rather than clearly endorsing a backup candidate. The stage is set for successful political takeover in which the majority are actually against the recall, but may lose the vote anyway, and we end up with yet another f*cking reality show star in a powerful and influential position. We're fighting a serious outbreak of the Delta variant right now, and you know the first or second thing any Republican is going to do is outlaw PPE and force all public and commercial institutions to open.

This will end in disaster. I don't like Newsom as a person any more than the next guy, and his inept handling of this recall is an excellent example of the customary political empty-headedness that has characterized his entire career, but recalling him and replacing him with some damn Hollywood buffoon is not going to help anything at all.

download.jpg

^ Some typical supporters. Note that they aren't backing any specific replacement governor, because the person they really want to be in charge of the state is the guy whose flag they're waving. One Flag, one Party, one Leader. And they accuse Newsom of totalitarianism. At least he's never promised to answer directly to the White House/Mar-A-Lago.

I'll be glad when that insufferable prick Newsom is gone.

Jenner has no chance of winning and you know it.

Larry Elder is a celebrity ? Not hardly. I did read somewhere Elder was doing pretty well in the polls and I see his campaign ads here and there.

I got the ballot the other day and there are three pages of candidates and with it being California, plenty of kooks ! I have not made up my mind on who to vote for to replace that insufferable prick Newsom. But I will be voting "yes" to recall Newsom for sure.

Sounds like CA's recall is gaining momentum just because it exists.

Sounds like CA's recall is gaining momentum just because it exists.

Recall elections have that way about them. California Republicans are are always furious with whomever is the current Democratic governor, they need no specific reason.They literally copy-paste the same arguments they made about the last one onto the new one, decade after decade.

Larry Elder is a celebrity ? Not hardly. I did read somewhere Elder was doing pretty well in the polls and I see his campaign ads here and there.

I got the ballot the other day and there are three pages of candidates and with it being California, plenty of kooks ! I have not made up my mind on who to vote for to replace that insufferable prick Newsom. But I will be voting "yes" to recall Newsom for sure.

He's no Brad Pitt, but my point is that his recognizability as an entertainer is his only qualification for office; he has no actual political experience.

He's no Brad Pitt, but my point is that his recognizability as an entertainer is his only qualification for office; he has no actual political experience.

Looking through the three pages of candidates, most of them have no actual experience. That's the beauty of the system.

Newsom has political experience and he's an incompetent, arrogant fool. He's shitting in his pants.

Kevin Faulconer has been the mayor of San Diego for 6 years. (I'm voting no on the recall btw).

aa

I'm not from California and I'm not sure what reason [I]s[/I]he has for expectes.
he's the trans version of Trump. No credentials other than name recognition. But that works in the modern American political system. Complete idiot, from the political point of view, but that doesn't matter if enough people vote from you. It's like voting people on or off The Island.
Tom

ETA ~added the bold for TFT rules purposes~

ETA~I've been trying to fix the pronouns by adding s's but it's not working~

Looking through the three pages of candidates, most of them have no actual experience. That's the beauty of the system.
What is remotely beautiful about that? I will never understand why Republicans think plucky cluelessness will somehow save us all from tyranny. Historically, dictators have often, even predictably come from "outside the system", not from rising slowly up the ranks.

But I guess if you all read your history books, you wouldn't be Republicans to begin with.

I'm not from California and I'm not sure what reason [I]s[/I]he has for expecting votes.

From what I can see Thread: Afghan "train, advise and assist" 1984 style
Agreed, with a tiny discrepency, everyone upon becoming the president of the USA is responsible for everything the US has done from its founding until today. My opinion is it is a great responsibility that can't be blamed on the previous or next dudehe's the trans version of Trump. No credentials other than name recognition. But that works in the modern American political system. Complete idiot, from the political point of view, but that doesn't matter if enough people vote from you. It's like voting people on or off The Island.
Tom

"He" was in reference to Larry Elder, who as far as I know self-identifies as male. So you are, in fact, violating TFTs rules with your bolded term.

"Angelyne" is on the ballot for christ's sake !! I thought she died years ago. Maybe she is always on the ballot.

I'm not from California and I'm not sure what reason [I]s[/I]he has for expecting votes.

Agreed, with a tiny discrepency, everyone upon becoming the president of the USA is responsible for everything the US has done from its founding until today. My opinion is it is a great responsibility that can't be blamed on the previous or next dudehe's the trans version of Trump. No credentials other than name recognition. But that works in the modern American political system. Complete idiot, from the political point of view, but that doesn't matter if enough people vote from you. It's like voting people on or off The Island.
Tom

"He" was in reference to Larry Elder, who as far as I know self-identifies as male. So you are, in fact, violating TFTs rules with your bolded term.

No, actually it wasn't.
Tom

Tom

No, actually it wasn't.
Tom

Please read the post I was quoting. TSwizzle questioned whether radio shock jock and current front-runner Larry Elder was a "celebrity", and I responded that celebrity or no, he is an entertainer by profession and solely known for that career as opposed to any sort of political experience. The question wasn't whether Caitlyn Jenner is a celebrity, everyone agrees that she is a celebrity.

No, actually it wasn't.
Tom

Please read the post I was quoting. TSwizzle questioned whether Larry Elder was a "celebrity", and I responded. The question wasn't whether Caitlyn Jenner is a celebrity, everyone agrees that she is a celebrity.

I mostly quoted [MENTION=346]Gospel[/MENTION];.
The TFT machine is difficult to make work on my phone. I tried to edit, several times. Then I tried to delete, but it wouldn't do that either.
Tom

No, actually it wasn't.
Tom

Please read the post I was quoting. TSwizzle questioned whether Larry Elder was a "celebrity", and I responded. The question wasn't whether Caitlyn Jenner is a celebrity, everyone agrees that she is a celebrity.

I mostly quoted [MENTION=346]Gospel[/MENTION];.
The TFT machine is difficult to make work on my phone. I tried to edit, several times. Then I tried to delete, but it wouldn't do that either.
Tom

Well, who you actually quoted and accused of misconduct was me, and Gospel hasn't posted in this thread, so I wanted to clarify, in case my post was somehow unclear.

That is another Typo. TomC was talking with me in PM and must have copypasted my name here instead. :p

That is another Typo. TomC was talking with me in PM and must have copypasted my name here instead. :p

This.

TFT is difficult to manage on my phone.
Tom
Throwing your smartphone into the river should solve the problem :D

FWIW, I didn't think Pete Wilson was that bad of a governor...but then again I think that could have been in another geologic period. Fortunately, I left before the Sperminator took office.

That he makes the lefties this hysterical means we should support him; at least for the entertainment value.

E9QbhxNXoAAiLp7

Back
Top Bottom