• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

California May Have a Random Celebrity Republican as Governor Soon

Elder's Entourage assaulted in Homeless Camp.

article said:
Larry Elder’s scheduled tour of homeless encampments in Venice ended shortly after it began Wednesday morning, with the leading Republican in the gubernatorial recall race hastily exiting in an SUV after being angrily confronted by a group of homeless people and advocates.

What is thought to be an egg was thrown by what appeared to be a white woman wearing a gorilla mask. The implications here are not so subtle. His security detail was also harassed and sounds like fists were swung towards them.

This recall is an absolute sham. What happened to Larry Elder is incomprehensibly wrong... in fact... why?! You can jeer a person perfectly without assaulting them or reflecting 19th century bigotry.

I certainly agree that gubernatorial candidates should not be assaulted in the street, or subjected to racial harassment. I hope that my utter dislike of this person has not been construed as support for all possible means of opposing them. Just because I do not want someone to govern my state, does not mean I want to see them get hurt.

Someone recently asked AOC about what to do about California. The state's governor tweeted what she said in an Instagram story:

Gavin Newsom on Twitter: "Listen to @AOC -- grab your ballot. Vote NO. And mail it by September 14th. There’s too much on the line. Make sure your voice is heard!! (link)" / Twitter

She responded:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "California: do not mess with this recall.

We need folks to TURN IN THEIR BALLOTS. Vote NO and drop it in the mail tomorrow.

Don’t sleep on this. It takes 5 mins but it’s urgent. We have so much work to do already and a nightmare fuel recall election is the last thing we need." / Twitter

The latest poll: Keep 54.3% Remove 42.0% - Latest Polls Of The California Recall Election | FiveThirtyEight

It's become a race between Gavin Newsom and Larry Elder, no matter how much GN-haters may dislike it. They had plenty of chance to support some Republican that is much like George Bush I, but they failed.

Trump, without evidence, already claiming Gavin Newsom recall election is 'rigged'
"It's probably rigged," Trump said. "They're sending out all ballots, the ballots are mail-in ballots; in fact, I guess you even have a case where you can make your own ballot. When that happens no one is going to win except these Democrats."

With recent polling showing that Newsom has seemingly closed the partisan enthusiasm gap and seems likely to survive the recall (Democrats make up 47% of registered voters in California while Republicans make up only 24%), conservatives have increasingly turned to blaming fictitious voter fraud to preempt a potential loss.

On Tuesday, Fox News personality Tomi Lahren proclaimed on air "the only thing that will save Gavin Newsom is voter fraud," dismissing another panelist's explanation that Newsom's massive fundraising advantage has allowed him to build an army of staffers to connect with previously apathetic Democratic voters and convince them to cast ballots.
Will that have the effect that it did in Georgia late last year? Enough Republicans were discouraged from voting to let two Democrats win runoff elections for the Senate.

If the Republicans want to use their feet as target practice, let them.

I certainly agree that gubernatorial candidates should not be assaulted in the street, or subjected to racial harassment. I hope that my utter dislike of this person has not been construed as support for all possible means of opposing them. Just because I do not want someone to govern my state, does not mean I want to see them get hurt.
Please don't mistake my post in suggesting in any way that there aren't political enemies that I wish to suffer from deep hurting. It just has to be natural and in no way imparted on them by a third party. ;)

Can't t assume Newsom has won. It would be a easy victory for him in a regular election simply because of a big partisan advantage, but in this special election the Republicans are much more energized to vote, so it's going to depend on turnout.

There have been good numbers for Newsom so far in the ballots that have been turned in, but of course Republicans vote more on election day, nowadays.

Newsom has a 58% favorabilty rating in California, Elder is at 26%. This is so stupid.

Can't t assume Newsom has won. It would be a easy victory for him in a regular election simply because of a big partisan advantage, but in this special election the Republicans are much more energized to vote, so it's going to depend on turnout.

There are plenty democrats (and independents) dissatisfied with Newsom's incompetence. Whether they are unhappy enough to remove him remains to be seen.

Newsom has a 58% favorabilty rating in California, Elder is at 26%. This is so stupid.

California is stupid.

If I understand correctly, the duly elected governor needs to get 50.1% of the vote, but a noob like Elder can win with 10% of the vote.

Is that right?
Tom

There are plenty democrats (and independents) dissatisfied with Newsom's incompetence. Whether they are unhappy enough to remove him remains to be seen.

And replace him with what? A radio host who gets a tenth of Newsom's votes?

Seriously, why do you hate democracy?
Tom

California is stupid.

If I understand correctly, the duly elected governor needs to get 50.1% of the vote, but a noob like Elder can win with 10% of the vote.

Is that right?
Tom
Democracy inaction!!

California is stupid.

Is that right?
Tom
Democracy inaction!!

And it cost $276,000,000 to do it!
Tom

California is stupid.

Is that right?
Tom

More or less, yeah. Technically, we are voting separately on two different things: on the one hand, on the recall, and elsewise, on the replacement. But because it is our stupid, stupid tradition to put both questions on one ballot, all the replacement needs to do is have more votes than all the other would-be replacements (always a crowded ballot full of loons), even if far more people would prefer to just keep the person who is there. No one denies the fact that no Republican could win California during a normal election at this point in history, the point of this recall election is to try and exploit the system to get someone in office who could not otherwise win a free and fair election.

This is down to state laws written at a time (the early Progressive Era) when the whole notion of state governance was viewed with great suspicion and (entirely legitimate) fear of corruption. We will certainly see some proposals for amending these rules in the wake of this recall. Whether any of them will succeed is much less obvious; the "status quo" is a very powerful force in Sacramento politics.

California is stupid.

Is that right?
Tom

More or less, yeah. Technically, we are voting separately on two different things: on the one hand, on the recall, and elsewise, on the replacement. But because it is our stupid, stupid tradition to put both questions on one ballot, all the replacement needs to do is have more votes than all the other would-be replacements (always a crowded ballot full of loons), even if far more people would prefer to just keep the person who is there. No one denies the fact that no Republican could win California during a normal election at this point in history, the point of this recall election is to try and exploit the system to get someone in office who could not otherwise win a free and fair election.

This is down to state laws written at a time (the early Progressive Era) when the whole notion of state governance was viewed with great suspicion and (entirely legitimate) fear of corruption. We will certainly see some proposals for amending these rules in the wake of this recall. Whether any of them will succeed is much less obvious; the "status quo" is a very powerful force in Sacramento politics.

Lawdamercy!

I remember when the Republican party was all about democracy and fiscal sanity and The Statue of Liberty and such old fashioned claptrap.

Well, that was then and this is now, obviously.
Tom

Lawdamercy!

I remember when the Republican party was all about democracy and fiscal sanity and The Statue of Liberty and such old fashioned claptrap.

Tom

So do I! I've even voted for Republicans before; there was a time when there were some decent politicians on both sides of the aisle, at least here in the Golden State where our local concerns often outweighed national political arguments anyway. But the Trumpers have been very efficient about purging the ranks of anyone not in their dumb little cabal, and it has had a withering effect on the quality and maturity of political dialogue of any kind. Those times of decency and conversation are gone. I hope, not irrevocably. But Jesus, things do look bad as they now stand.

Lawdamercy!

Tom

So do I! I've even voted for Republicans before; there was a time when there were some decent politicians on both sides of the aisle, at least here in the Golden State where our local concerns often outweighed national political arguments anyway. But the Trumpers have been very efficient about purging the ranks of anyone not in their dumb little cabal, and it has had a withering effect on the quality and maturity of political dialogue of any kind. Those times of decency and conversation are gone. I hope, not irrevocably. But Jesus, things do look bad as they now stand.

Poor Larry...

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Uhm....Larry Elder clearly underestimated the political engagement of the house Insecure community in LA <a href="https://t.co/wLxzKR9gLN">https://t.co/wLxzKR9gLN</a></p>— Dr. Jason Johnson (@DrJasonJohnson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DrJasonJohnson/status/1435738038953394178?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 8, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]

E-72uQeVcAMFnyJ

So a white person in a gorilla mask throws eggs at a black person, and you aren't outraged or offended? Isn't this a textbook classic example of racism?

Probably not. Do you think the egg throwing was racism? The gorilla mask ? Elder does say there were some n-bombs thrown his way.

Tuesday, California goes to the voting booths.

Keep - 56.2%
Remove - 41.6%
Keep - +14.1%

Real Clear Politics
Remove - 41.4%
Do Not Remove - 56.4%
Do Not Remove - +15%

Wednesday morning at Faux Noise is going to see some long faces and sullen, snarling silliness.

Tuesday, California goes to the voting booths.

Keep - 56.2%
Remove - 41.6%
Keep - +14.1%

Real Clear Politics
Remove - 41.4%
Do Not Remove - 56.4%
Do Not Remove - +15%

Wednesday morning at Faux Noise is going to see some long faces and sullen, snarling silliness.

Voter fraud! Dominion! Italian satellites!

Back
Top Bottom