• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cancer hitting younger people

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
A doctor is speaking up about the surge in cancer cases among young people - revealing 'every new patient' that comes to his clinic is under 45 years old. North Carolina's Duke University oncologist Dr Nicholas DeVito says he and his colleagues have experienced a complete demographic switch in recent years. Based on what he's seeing everyday, talking to patients on the ground and analyzing the data, he blames the risk of junk food diets. Numerous studies have found an association between a high ultra-processed foods (UPFs) diet and more than 30 conditions, including multiple cancers, and an early grave. Between 1990 and 2019, cases of cancer in young people across the globe increased by 79 percent and deaths rose 28 percent. The US has the sixth highest rate of early-onset cancers - disease in people under 50 - with 87 cases per 100,000 people younger than 50 years old.

Daily Mail

This sounds about right, so much crap is put into food.

To avoid these, a rule of thumb is to stick to products with fewer than five ingredients and avoid items with ingredients that are hard to pronounce.
I get Cleveland Clinic Wellness Letters and some time back they said this very thing. This is something I've been doing for the past twenty years.
The medical community is loath to make any official public statements linking UPFs to cancer without strong evidence lest they get sued by the food industry. Well, I'll not be that evidence and I'm trying to convince my daughter not to either.

A doctor is speaking up about the surge in cancer cases among young people - revealing 'every new patient' that comes to his clinic is under 45 years old. North Carolina's Duke University oncologist Dr Nicholas DeVito says he and his colleagues have experienced a complete demographic switch in recent years. Based on what he's seeing everyday, talking to patients on the ground and analyzing the data, he blames the risk of junk food diets. Numerous studies have found an association between a high ultra-processed foods (UPFs) diet and more than 30 conditions, including multiple cancers, and an early grave. Between 1990 and 2019, cases of cancer in young people across the globe increased by 79 percent and deaths rose 28 percent. The US has the sixth highest rate of early-onset cancers - disease in people under 50 - with 87 cases per 100,000 people younger than 50 years old.
Daily Mail

Such as?

The last 25 years, cancer rates have only increased among young adults. If it was food supply, that would seem to not make any sense.
article said:
More of those new cases involve younger people. The ACS annual report showed younger adults to be the only age group with an increase in overall cancer incidence between 1995 and 2020—the rate has risen by 1% to 2% each year during that time period.

It's hard to avoid carcinogens in this country. Our farmer's market does us good for fruits and vegetables, but you can't get everything you need at a farmer's market. Even shopping at "high end" grocers, I am often shocked if I read the labels on some of the products. At my actual price point, it's even harder to find foods that aren't stuffed with non-food fillers of dubious health value. Even, maybe especially, some of those whose packaging or marketing suggests health. Trader Joes does better than Whole Foods. I really miss Fresh and Easy, a middle tier grocery chain we used to have in the West. They were an frontier experiment by the Tesco corporation, as I believe. Very good at meeting that "five ingredients or less" rule on common pantry items. But they didn't last long.

To avoid these, a rule of thumb is to stick to products with fewer than five ingredients and avoid items with ingredients that are hard to pronounce.
I get Cleveland Clinic Wellness Letters and some time back they said this very thing. This is something I've been doing for the past twenty years.
The medical community is loath to make any official public statements linking UPFs to cancer without strong evidence lest they get sued by the food industry. Well, I'll not be that evidence and I'm trying to convince my daughter not to either.
Yep. In particular, one chemical Dihydrogen Monoxide (its only 1 molecule different than Carbon Monoxide!) kills many thousands every year and yet it continues to be ignored by Big Food. :mad:

I have noticed something that just MIGHT have something to do with increased youth cancer rates.
I go to swim laps, and the adjacent kiddie pool is full of babies, toddlers and pre-teens. And they are FAT. Not just overweight - about 40% of them are fucking obese.
I don’t think it matters what they’re eating; if they eat that much of it, they’re going to suffer.

Microplastics? Who knows. Very hard to research. Supposedly they can have an impact on heart health and susceptibility to stroke. It'll be a long time before they're understood, and even longer before there could be any effective response (if there is one.)

I have noticed something that just MIGHT have something to do with increased youth cancer rates.
I go to swim laps, and the adjacent kiddie pool is full of babies, toddlers and pre-teens. And they are FAT. Not just overweight - about 40% of them are fucking obese.
I don’t think it matters what they’re eating; if they eat that much of it, they’re going to suffer.
Diabetes rates, especially in teens, are rising and expected to soar in this century. Americans right now break down as 31% healthy BMI, 33% overweight, and 36% obese. That 36% has grown in just the last decade.
I see the same thing you see, at the Y.
And...just before I left teaching, the wonderful state of Ohio rewrote the science curriculum and my grade (5th) was told to quit teaching health units and teach only the listed science units...so that chubby little fingers could clutch pencils and answer questions about the tundra and the taiga on the proficiencies.

I've noticed most children at my daughters school are of average weight to skinny. However, anecdotes aren't very meaningful. Especially in this case when we are talking about young adults, not infants.
Yep. In particular, one chemical Dihydrogen Monoxide (its only 1 molecule different than Carbon Monoxide!) kills many thousands every year and yet it continues to be ignored by Big Food. :mad:
Get Sean Hannity to blather about it and it'll be the number one problem in America in 3 weeks. TSwizzle will post UK Daily Mail articles about it.

Daily Mail

Religious like cult of nutrition. Political propaganda.

Cancer is natural, human pollutants and food aditives are not linked to cancer.

Cancer is natural,
Absolutely. Cancer WILL kill you, if something else doesn’t get you first.
human pollutants and food aditives are not linked to cancer.
Absolutely false. Many substances and conditions are well known to be carcinogenic.
In the US there are established standards for classifying substances as such, and in some cases upper limits of their presence in food “products” and in the environment are imposed.

Whether there is correlation of cancer rates with the observable increase in kids’ weight or fat ratios, or whether certain foods are positively associated with certain cancers I can’t say. But there are plenty of warnings about some common things like charred meat. (Mmmm 😋)
But that doesn’t say whether any “healthy diet” is going to forestall cancer. I suspect it’s more about how much rather than what a person eats.

Last edited:
While other reasons may add to it, I was going to say the same thing. Obesity is a big risk factor for some types of cancer. My younger sister was very obese and she, and while not young, was diagnosed with kidney cancer that had already metastasized when she was 59. Kidney cancer is one of the types of cancer that is more likely to occur in people suffering from obesity. And, sadly, we have a terrible epidemic of obesity. I'm not judging. I don't understand how it happened, but it's sad and it may be at least part of the reason why cancer is rising among young people.

Based on what I've read over the years, some people get cancer without a single risk factor. They might be very healthy, have very good habits, do not use any type of drugs, etc. and they still get cancer. Cancer is strange, in that any one of any age can contract it. I will never forget the sad experience during nursing school, doing clinical on a pediatric cancer ward. At that time, most of those children died, as we had very little treatments for them. And, a close friend of mine in high school, had a 9 year old brother who died of leukemia. He died quickly without any symptoms until he was diagnosed, so the rise in cancer rates probably have many causes, but obesity is one risk factor. It's kind of like smoking.

Some people can smoke 3 packs of cigs a day and live into their 90s, while others get lung cancer in their 40s. And some people, like my husband's late grandmother can be very obese their entire lives yet live to be 94, then die peacefully, while in the very early stages of dementia. It's complicated.

Last edited:
the rise in cancer rates probably have many causes,
Right, there may not be a “main cause”.
There’s certainly some background rate of mutation that will produce cancer at any age - gamma particles striking gametes and stuff like that.

Dr Suneel Kamath has noticed a 'heartbreaking' shift in his cancer clinic over the last decade. As a gastrointestinal oncologist at the world-famous Cleveland Clinic, he was used to seeing colon cancer patients fit a similar mold: patients who are obese and in their 50s, 60s and beyond whose routine colonoscopies had come back abnormal. But in the last 10 years, he's seen more and more patients in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. while several are part of the most vulnerable demographic - overweight and sedentary Americans - 'plenty' of patients work out most days and report eating plenty of veggies and fiber. His team's latest breakthrough, published in a medical journal last month, appears to confirm that diets are to blame, rather than environmental factors. They found that compounds linked to red and processed meats - like deli ham, hot dogs and burgers - are at much higher levels in young people with the disease, as opposed to a disrupted microbiome. 'Researchers—ourselves included—have begun to focus on the gut microbiome as a primary contributor to colon cancer risk,' the team wrote in the study, published in the journal NPJ Precision Oncology.. 'But our data clearly shows that the main driver is diet. We already know the main metabolites associated with young-onset risk, so we can now move our research forward in the correct direction.' The research looked at 64 patients who had been diagnosed with colorectal cancer. Just under a third were diagnosed before age 50, and 45 percent of young-onset cases were stage four, suggesting they had a delayed diagnosis.

Daily Mail

Plenty to think about. I rarely eat ultra processed meat but a friend of mine has warned me off eating bacon which I usually eat maybe twice a month. They told me that is too much.

An awful lot of young people are just growing up different. Diet, smartphones, lack of exercise older parents. Interesting times.

Dr Suneel Kamath has noticed a 'heartbreaking' shift in his cancer clinic over the last decade. As a gastrointestinal oncologist at the world-famous Cleveland Clinic, he was used to seeing colon cancer patients fit a similar mold: patients who are obese and in their 50s, 60s and beyond whose routine colonoscopies had come back abnormal. But in the last 10 years, he's seen more and more patients in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. while several are part of the most vulnerable demographic - overweight and sedentary Americans - 'plenty' of patients work out most days and report eating plenty of veggies and fiber. His team's latest breakthrough, published in a medical journal last month, appears to confirm that diets are to blame, rather than environmental factors. They found that compounds linked to red and processed meats - like deli ham, hot dogs and burgers - are at much higher levels in young people with the disease, as opposed to a disrupted microbiome. 'Researchers—ourselves included—have begun to focus on the gut microbiome as a primary contributor to colon cancer risk,' the team wrote in the study, published in the journal NPJ Precision Oncology.. 'But our data clearly shows that the main driver is diet. We already know the main metabolites associated with young-onset risk, so we can now move our research forward in the correct direction.' The research looked at 64 patients who had been diagnosed with colorectal cancer. Just under a third were diagnosed before age 50, and 45 percent of young-onset cases were stage four, suggesting they had a delayed diagnosis.

Daily Mail

Plenty to think about. I rarely eat ultra processed meat but a friend of mine has warned me off eating bacon which I usually eat maybe twice a month. They told me that is too much.

An awful lot of young people are just growing up different. Diet, smartphones, lack of exercise older parents. Interesting times.
Add to that global warming and all its global effects.

In the mid Puget Sound region where I live smoke from wildfires are now a constant. Periodic unhealthy air alerts.

I have a supply of N95 masks for the worse days.

In the mid Puget Sound region where I live smoke from wildfires are now a constant. Periodic unhealthy air alerts.

Wrong thread again?

Anyway, you cultists blame everything on global warming. Car won't start, fucking global warming. Can't find your house keys, fucking global warming.

Wildfires increase 40%, fucking global warming. Sea levels rise, fucking global warming. Hurricane frequency increases, fucking global warming. Insurance Companies bail on their coastal clients , fucking global warming.
These people are insane I tellya!

Wrong thread again?

Anyway, you cultists blame everything on global warming. Car won't start, fucking global warming. Can't find your house keys, fucking global warming.
There has always been cancer going back to ancient times. There is no connection between human activity and increase in cancers, it is a natural cycle.

Am I not allowed to dissent?

I guess I heard this so much I posit without thinking, a conditioned response.

Enough using your own words against you. I expect you get the point.

Particulate pollution from wildfire smoke. Not just damage and carcinogens in the lungs, small particulars can get into the blood stream.

Wild fires increasing due to higher temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom