• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Capital punishment, Thoughts?

...A convict in custody is no longer a threat to society....
... Hey, I voted to abolish capital punishment too; but can everyone please stop repeating the ridiculous canard that a murderer is no longer a threat to society when he's in prison? Or does a guy sentenced to 90 days in jail for shoplifting six pounds worth of merchandise no longer count as "society"?

Simply claiming that it is a canard doesn't make it a canard.

If someone poses a threat while in custody, that is a problem for prison security to deal with.
It isn't the claim that makes it a canard; what makes it a canard is the fact that people repeat it all the time plus the fact that it isn't true.

The fact is, it is true. It is true because the judicial system does not allow us to kill for any reason other than self defense...and that must be only if your (or companion/s) life is under immediate threat. And the circumstances, your act of killing in self defense may be judged to be excessive. If so, it is you who faces the legal consequences of your actions.

That is the fact of it.

It is also true that the legalities of killing in self defense are related to ethical considerations. So if it is wrong to kill someone for inadequate reasons legally, ie, your life is not under threat, it is also wrong ethically.

Given the reasons outlined above, to kill for any reason other than self defense when your life is under immediate threat is both illegal and unethical.

If someone poses a threat while in custody, that is a problem for prison security to deal with, yes; and if that is a problem for prison security to deal with, whose problem it is does not imply that the person does not pose a threat.

So what?

Who said they do? Did you miss the "Hey, I voted to abolish capital punishment too"? So what? The fact that they don't need to be killed as a solution to a perceived threat is not a reason to make believe that the perceived threat isn't real. Claiming imprisoned murderers are not a threat to society dehumanizes the very real victims of our decisions not to execute them, and cruelly insults the family of the 19-year-old shoplifter beaten to death with a table leg by Robert Stewart five hours before he was to be released.

So what if they pose a threat within the prison system? I'm not saying they cannot. Some most probably do. The point is, they are no longer a threat to society at large. Prison systems have procedures for dealing with violent inmates. They are quite able to deal with violent offenders without having to execute them because they pose a threat in prison.

Did you miss the "Hey, I voted to abolish capital punishment too"?

It's what you have been subsequently saying and implying that I'm responding to.

Where did I say it did?

Most murders are impulsive. The murderers don't stop to consider the cost-benefit potential before pulling the trigger.
Moreover, unlike robbers or shoplifters, murder has a low recidivism rate. It tends to be an impulsive outburst, not a habitual behavior.

Your loved one was raped, tortured and then killed brutally and slowly and oh, we're going to treat that crime no differently that if he stole your wallet at gunpoint.
I get the impression you're motivated more by retribution than by any larger social good. What are you trying to accomplish by executing these offenders -- besides assuaging your own ire?

Nope.

I'm not talking about some drunken brawl where someone pulls a gun and kills someone.

I'm talking truly heinous crimes.

You didn't answer the question: what would that accomplish despite assuaging (shortly) your own ire? (which is NOT the role of justice)

In matters as grave as these, we must always, always resist the temptation to treat the issue as a "why not" question instead of a "why" question. To intentionally kill a human being, when that person poses no immediate threat to your person, is murder. I use that word to describe capital punishment because it fits the definition perfectly: performed by any member of society other than a special representative of the state, it would be considered a perfect example of the "truly heinous crimes" some would say justify capital punishment in the first place.

Now, obviously, justice has to be meted out by somebody. I'm well aware that if an ordinary citizen were to imprison somebody for life, that too would be treated as a breach of the law. But some breaches can be at least partially remedied. Murder cannot. In light of the unavoidable risk of murdering an innocent person, the high cost involved in ensuring that doesn't happen, and the fact that revenge seems to be the primary answer to the "why" question, we need to look at the rest of the world and decide what kind of society we want to be associated with. We need to look at the rates of recidivism and the actual data on deterrence, which point to state-sanctioned murder as nothing less than overkill.

There is no way to make sure convictions are 100% accurate. There will always be guilty people who are found not guilty and innocent people who are found guilty. Thus, allowing capital punishment means accepting that a certain percentage of those executed will be completely innocent, and I'm not willing to murder even one innocent person just to satisfy society's bloodlust.

Where did I say it did?

Most murders are impulsive. The murderers don't stop to consider the cost-benefit potential before pulling the trigger.
Moreover, unlike robbers or shoplifters, murder has a low recidivism rate. It tends to be an impulsive outburst, not a habitual behavior.

Your loved one was raped, tortured and then killed brutally and slowly and oh, we're going to treat that crime no differently that if he stole your wallet at gunpoint.
I get the impression you're motivated more by retribution than by any larger social good. What are you trying to accomplish by executing these offenders -- besides assuaging your own ire?

Nope.

I'm not talking about some drunken brawl where someone pulls a gun and kills someone.

You didn't answer the question: what would that accomplish despite assuaging (shortly) your own ire? (which is NOT the role of justice)

I did, in my original post. It removes them from society so they can never hurt or be a threat to anyone ever again (and that include prison guards).

- - - Updated - - -

There is no way to make sure convictions are 100% accurate. There will always be guilty people who are found not guilty and innocent people who are found guilty. Thus, allowing capital punishment means accepting that a certain percentage of those executed will be completely innocent, and I'm not willing to murder even one innocent person just to satisfy society's bloodlust.

But you are willing to let innocent people die because of an 'oops'.

Where did I say it did?

Nope.

I did, in my original post. It removes them from society so they can never hurt or be a threat to anyone ever again (and that include prison guards).

- - - Updated - - -

But you are willing to let innocent people die because of an 'oops'.

So you think letting people live where there are earthquakes prohibited because there may be one that kills them?

So you think letting people live where there are earthquakes prohibited because there may be one that kills them?

Earthquakes are a natural phenomenon and never kill anyone. It's usually buildings collapsing and debris falling and fires that kill people. Ride out an earthquake in the country in the open in a tent? Nothing happens to you. Let's stick with willful heinous crime.

Earthquakes are a natural phenomenon and never kill anyone. It's usually buildings collapsing and debris falling and fires that kill people. Ride out an earthquake in the country in the open in a tent? Nothing happens to you. Let's stick with willful heinous crime.

Never??

I will agree it's rare but it can happen. Earthquakes do things to the ground. It can be quite deadly if it liquifies the soil.

To some degree it does seem to be bloodlust. Retribution based on a perception that certain problems can be solved by violence and the act of killing. Probably much the same perception that motivated killer, albeit in far worse form.

The fact is, it is true. It is true because the judicial system does not allow us to kill for any reason other than self defense...
Are you under the impression that "It's illegal to kill him; therefore he isn't a threat." is a valid argument?!?

and that must be only if your (or companion/s) life is under immediate threat.
[digression]Is that really the law in Australia? In the U.S. it's legal to kill in self-defense when your attacker is "only" trying to commit rape or serious bodily harm.[/digression]

And the circumstances, your act of killing in self defense may be judged to be excessive. If so, it is you who faces the legal consequences of your actions.

That is the fact of it.
But the fact of what the legal system will judge has no implications as to the fact of whether a particular murderer is a threat to soceity. Societies can construct legal systems any way they please.

It is also true that the legalities of killing in self defense are related to ethical considerations. So if it is wrong to kill someone for inadequate reasons legally, ie, your life is not under threat, it is also wrong ethically.
Are you suggesting that something being illegal implies it's unethical? You know the Underground Railroad was illegal, right?

And are you suggesting, even more absurdly, that something being illegal in Australia implies it's unethical in other jurisdictions?!? Your claim that not being under threat means you have legally inadequate reason to kill someone may well be Australian law; it's simply incorrect in California. Here it's perfectly legal for an unthreatened prison warden to kill a condemned prisoner once there's a death warrant for him in effect.

Given the reasons outlined above, to kill for any reason other than self defense when your life is under immediate threat is both illegal and unethical.
Let's suppose for the sake of discussion that your inference isn't fallacious, as far as it goes. Well, now you have a lemma. Where does it take you? We weren't arguing about whether it's unethical. We were arguing about whether a murderer in custody is a threat to society. How do you get from "Killing him is unethical." to "He is not a threat."? You're familiar with Hume having pointed out the difficulty of getting from "is" to "ought", I presume? You seem to be leaping the chasm in the opposite direction. How are you getting from an "ought" to an "is"?

If someone poses a threat while in custody, that is a problem for prison security to deal with, yes; and if that is a problem for prison security to deal with, whose problem it is does not imply that the person does not pose a threat.

So what?
So your claim that a convict in custody is no longer a threat to society isn't true.

So what if they pose a threat within the prison system? I'm not saying they cannot. Some most probably do. The point is, they are no longer a threat to society at large. Prison systems have procedures for dealing with violent inmates.
I.e., you're trying to hairsplit between "threat" and "threat to society". Since when are people no longer part of society once they're in the prison system? Are you taking for granted that nobody you personally care about will ever shoplift and get arrested and go to jail and be assigned a psychopath for a cellmate?

They are quite able to deal with violent offenders without having to execute them because they pose a threat in prison.

Did you miss the "Hey, I voted to abolish capital punishment too"?

It's what you have been subsequently saying and implying that I'm responding to.
What is it you think I'm implying, apart from implying you should quit telling people jailed murderers aren't a threat to society?

We mostly don't kill murderers any more. The chief reason we don't is that we're more afraid of killing an innocent man by mistake than we are of killing a different man by proxy. (Of course some of us don't care about innocence and are equally afraid of killing a guilty man on purpose.) There are two reasons for people being less afraid of killing by proxy -- for our being less afraid that the murderer we spare today will graduate to serial killer tomorrow.

(1) We've calculated that the expected number of executed innocents if we impose the death penalty is greater than the expected number of extra murder victims if we don't (perhaps with some weighting factor applied.)

(2) If we execute an innocent man we'll have blood on our hands, but if we spare his life and he kills again then we won't have blood on our hands.

The point is, reason (2) is crap. Yes, we'll still have blood on our hands. The fact that we killed by proxy doesn't mean we didn't kill. The society that could have executed the psychopath and had psychopath blood on its hands instead now has shoplifter blood on its hands.

Anybody who says a murderer in custody is no longer a threat to society is evidently not applying reason (1) since he's refusing to admit the victims of his policy even exist. So he's presumably applying reason (2). That means he's choosing the policy that makes him feel better about himself, and deceiving himself in order to get that better feeling. That's pathetic. We're killing people by proxy; the least we can do is tell the truth to ourselves about it.

Never??

I will agree it's rare but it can happen. Earthquakes do things to the ground. It can be quite deadly if it liquifies the soil.

I imagine it would be...if anyone was dumb enough to stand there while water was shooting up all around them in geysers saying, "Look at the pretty water..."

Never??

I imagine it would be...if anyone was dumb enough to stand there while water was shooting up all around them in geysers saying, "Look at the pretty water..."

It's not a local phenomenon. Being aware of it doesn't mean you can successfully run away.

It's not a local phenomenon. Being aware of it doesn't mean you can successfully run away.

If you're pinned by debris, sure. But that's not the earthquake's fault that you couldn't run away.

Only if you were pinned by debris before the earthquake. If the earthquake caused the debris that pinned you, it's definitely the earthquake's fault.

Are you under the impression that "It's illegal to kill him; therefore he isn't a threat." is a valid argument?!?

Where did you get that from? Not from what I said.

[digression]Is that really the law in Australia? In the U.S. it's legal to kill in self-defense when your attacker is "only" trying to commit rape or serious bodily harm.[/digression]

So in America you would be legally justified in shooting and killing someone trying to commit rape? Really?

But the fact of what the legal system will judge has no implications as to the fact of whether a particular murderer is a threat to soceity. Societies can construct legal systems any way they please.

I was commenting on the issue of ethical laws, excessive force, taking justice into your own hands, delivering punishment that exceeds the crime, ie, killing someone for stealing your car when you already have the thief under control.

Are you suggesting that something being illegal implies it's unethical? You know the Underground Railroad was illegal, right?

Irrelevant, a particular law may be or it may not be. Whether a law is fair and just, therefore ethical, is a matter of examining the law in question. I was referring to the legality and ethics of execution, either by the individual or by the state.

And are you suggesting, even more absurdly, that something being illegal in Australia implies it's unethical in other jurisdictions?!? Your claim that not being under threat means you have legally inadequate reason to kill someone may well be Australian law; it's simply incorrect in California. Here it's perfectly legal for an unthreatened prison warden to kill a condemned prisoner once there's a death warrant for him in effect.

What's absurd is that you make your own interpretation of my comments, and run with the flaws as if there is no chance you are mistaken. I'd suggest that you read more carefully and ask questions before arguing against strawman of your own making.

Let's suppose for the sake of discussion that your inference isn't fallacious, as far as it goes. Well, now you have a lemma. Where does it take you? We weren't arguing about whether it's unethical. We were arguing about whether a murderer in custody is a threat to society. How do you get from "Killing him is unethical." to "He is not a threat."? You're familiar with Hume having pointed out the difficulty of getting from "is" to "ought", I presume? You seem to be leaping the chasm in the opposite direction. How are you getting from an "ought" to an "is"?

It's not fallacious, it's the law: the use of excessive force. And the argument was broader than ''whether a murderer in custody is a threat to society'' because of the issue of justification for killing. Whether it is justified to kill someone who is in custody and has been removed from society. I think it suits you to go off into another direction altogether.

So your claim that a convict in custody is no longer a threat to society isn't true.

You make these proclamations as if they are Gospel. How is a killer incarcerated within a high security prison a threat to people on the outside....do you think he spits over the exercise yard walls, or something? What is the threat?

I.e., you're trying to hairsplit between "threat" and "threat to society". Since when are people no longer part of society once they're in the prison system? Are you taking for granted that nobody you personally care about will ever shoplift and get arrested and go to jail and be assigned a psychopath for a cellmate?

For heavens sake...any reasonable person would not need the condition of incarceration, individuals that are separated from the rest of the population living their normal lives on the outside, explained. Do you really need me to explain that someone locked in a high security cell cannot stroll down Main street, stop for a coffee, or carry out a murder? You are the one splitting hairs.

What is it you think I'm implying, apart from implying you should quit telling people jailed murderers aren't a threat to society?

You tell tell me. You made the remark - ''Prison guards do not have superhuman abilities either. Guards get careless. A lot of guards really don't give a damn if prisoners attack one another -- sometimes they'll even set up the situations themselves, to make up for no longer being personally allowed to beat up prisoners. And most of the inmates killed by the murderers on my list would be perceived by a fair fraction of the population as having it coming, so good riddance; this limits the effort that will be put into protecting them.''

So what does ''good riddance'' (even if that is not your personal view) imply?

And this still misses the point that prison guards are trained for the job of handling risky prisoners, they made their choice of career in full knowledge of the problems of their work place.

Of course prisons are a part of society, but the prison environment is separated from external society. A point that should not need explaining because that is the purpose of constructing prisons.

Anybody who says a murderer in custody is no longer a threat to society is evidently not applying reason (1) since he's refusing to admit the victims of his policy even exist. So he's presumably applying reason (2). That means he's choosing the policy that makes him feel better about himself, and deceiving himself in order to get that better feeling. That's pathetic. We're killing people by proxy; the least we can do is tell the truth to ourselves about it.

Only if you want to play a pedantic game of splitting hairs. Prisons are institutions of society and their purpose is to isolate or remove individuals that pose a public risk from the public - 'public' meaning society at large...if that needs spelling out. How many violent inmates escape high security prisons?

If the convict is willing to be executed (e.g. he says he would rather have the death penalty than spend the rest of his life in prison) should we oppose his right to die?

Back
Top Bottom