• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

China Prepares for War - Our Response?

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker

scariest movie I’ve seen in a long time.

They are clearly preparing for a large war. The question is whether they can be deterred. Maybe if Putin loses and is killed.

Your response should be obvious - don't start it.

Wouldn't that be the logical response for every country? After all, what's the rationale in gearing up for a massive war if it would result in global annihilation? Why not just launch the missiles and expedite the inevitable? The idea is silly to me.

Wouldn't that be the logical response for every country? After all, what's the rationale in gearing up for a massive war if it would result in global annihilation? Why not just launch the missiles and expedite the inevitable? The idea is silly to me.
I'm hoping that China is more rational than Russia. However, it's a very scary situation. China's economy is going into the toilet, and they need a distraction.

I'm hoping that China is more rational than Russia. However, it's a very scary situation. China's economy is going into the toilet, and they need a distraction.
His point is that they’re not acting rational, they’re just preparing for a war. Before the end of next summer.

China has been preparing for war since Mao.

From the reports their economy is in trouble. Any conflict that disrupts global trade would be China shooting itself in the foot.

A failed Russia, NK, and China proclaimed a new military cooperation. Result, Chinese and Russian ships cruising off our coast , we sens ships. The old Cold War game.

I think it depends on how much the CCP leaders work themselves into an ideological frenzy.

This is not new. In the 80s a Chinese fighter jet clipped a wing of a Navy patrol plane.,

More recent.

The CCP is crazy, they are living in an anti west delusional revolution ideology. Fanatical.

His point is that they’re not acting rational, they’re just preparing for a war. Before the end of next summer.
Agreed, they are extremely irrational right now. They are hurt that the west is decoupling them from the supply chain (who the hell wants to trade with a country planning to attack?). And they are upset that the west is trying to ally against China. But I'm still holding out that China will wake up. But for the US, we cannot survive today without chips. Chips are in everything. My new toaster has chips in them. Everything does.

Where would that war be? We are not going to invade China and vice versa.

I do not think we shoud interfere in Riawn. Officaly Taiwn has no international status and I believe China may have a legal claim to Taiwan.

China is irrational. They made a tremendous leap out of the Maoist chaos by opening up to western investment and trade.

Now they want to risk that for what amounts to 19th 20th century imperialism and colonialism that led to WWII.

China has shot at Philippine fishing boats in international waters.

I do not think we shoud interfere in Riawn. Officaly Taiwn has no international status and I believe China may have a legal claim to Taiwan.

China is irrational. They made a tremendous leap out of the Maoist chaos by opening up to western investment and trade.

Now they want to risk that for what amounts to 19th 20th century imperialism and colonialism that led to WWII.

What legal claim does China have? If we are going back to the colonial rule, we should give Taiwan to Japan. Japan has a far greater claim.

What legal claim does China have? If we are going back to the colonial rule, we should give Taiwan to Japan. Japan has a far greater claim.
Look at the wiki Taiwan page. I looked at this in the past. At best it is murky.

The UN disenfranchised Taiwan as China and granted it to mainland China. Taiwan is a remnat of the Cold War. The dictator Chang Kai Shek was forced out of China by Naos revolution in a civil and fked to Taiwn and set up a dictatorship. In the Cold War pardaigm any dctatorr an enemy of communism is our friend.

Possession of Taiwan shifted for centuries and was under Chinese control. It looks like the post WWII agreement may have ceded Taiwan to China before Shek's nationalists were kicked out..

There is also an indigenous population in Taiwan

Was Chnag Kai Shek ever the legutmate ruler of mainland China?

Before China opened up with cheap labor Taiwan was the place to go for cheap elctronics manufacturing.

The chip supply cain is the only imortnce right now.

There is also a pro China faction in Taiwan we do' hear a lo about.

It is anoter fucking quagmire, we shoud stay out of this one. Afganstan nad Iraq shoud teach us that.

The issue is with China;s arbitrary redrawing maritime boundaries which can affect global trade if allowed to get away with it.

Biden was insane to say publicly we will defend Taiwan

China is right about one thing. We have no business interfering in China's internal affairs or trying to force China to change politically.

There is noting in COTUS about that. From a Jefferson bio Jefferson said we trybf to spread our system wolild be like the Vatican sending an army of Jesuits to the USA.

I've read a few Hudson Institute articles. They are definitely old school Republican and present information in that vein. Not that I disagree with their assessments but I've yet to get much "on the other hand" from them. I didn't listen to the Q&A on this one. Sure sounds like China is prepping for heavy sanctions though.

It's one thing to have a country on the rise economically to the point of challenging the US. It is another having it happen while we are at such political odds with ourselves. We do ourselves and the world no favors being as such.

If China takes Taiwan without a fight we should hit them hard economically, as best we can and to the extent the rest of the west will go along and I doubt they would to the extent necessary. For China to maintain it's economic might would mean the rest of us bending to their will eventually. China would build no coalitions. They will push their terms on all as they do with their belt and road initiative that many seem to now regret.

I've read China can outbuild the US in navy ships seven to one. That's not good. Our only saving grace is our personnel training and coordination between our forces to utilize all our armed forces to their maximum capabilities. I don't think China is there yet. They've got nice stuff but do enough of their personnel know how to use it?

We've done a great job recently (re)building relationships with the Pacific Island Chain and friendly nations to contain China. But this is lost on most people. Building strategic international relationships does not win elections.

I've read a few Hudson Institute articles. They are definitely old school Republican and present information in that vein. Not that I disagree with their assessments but I've yet to get much "on the other hand" from them. I didn't listen to the Q&A on this one. Sure sounds like China is prepping for heavy sanctions though.

It's one thing to have a country on the rise economically to the point of challenging the US. It is another having it happen while we are at such political odds with ourselves. We do ourselves and the world no favors being as such.

If China takes Taiwan without a fight we should hit them hard economically, as best we can and to the extent the rest of the west will go along and I doubt they would to the extent necessary. For China to maintain it's economic might would mean the rest of us bending to their will eventually. China would build no coalitions. They will push their terms on all as they do with their belt and road initiative that many seem to now regret.

I've read China can outbuild the US in navy ships seven to one. That's not good. Our only saving grace is our personnel training and coordination between our forces to utilize all our armed forces to their maximum capabilities. I don't think China is there yet. They've got nice stuff but do enough of their personnel know how to use it?

We've done a great job recently (re)building relationships with the Pacific Island Chain and friendly nations to contain China. But this is lost on most people. Building strategic international relationships does not win elections.
Our Navy is hands down 10x better than theirs. They can build all the ships they want - it takes decades to build a proper navy with the experience necessary to command at a high level. Their ASW capabilities are virtually non-existent. They have no real experience operating carriers.

I don't know how a full scale naval battle would go today. I am sure our military has gamed it our with simulations.

New agile and hypersonic anti ship weapons are harder to intercept. Close in to China mass numbers of cheap unguided missiles can be rained down on a fleet.

That is my point, it does not seem like naval battles are winnable. Especially in a conflict over Taiwan.

Go back to the Falklands War.

Biden's reckless rhetoric may have backed us into a corner. I beleve the Cold War era agreement was to supply weapons not a mutual defense treaty.

A shooting naval engagemnt between China and the USA could easily spin out of control.

Global trade could crash. That is why the Chinese beligerence is insane.

Back
Top Bottom