• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Christianity and Hitler

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
Atheists do Nazi the truth. It's not like it's a secret it's.

Well, no one wants to be associated with Hitler, so you can't really blame them. If we stop calling them on it, can we pass Stalin off to the Muslims? We don't want that guy.

What about Mousy Tongue? Isn't that Loki passing himself off as a communist dictator?

Well, no one wants to be associated with Hitler, so you can't really blame them. If we stop calling them on it, can we pass Stalin off to the Muslims? We don't want that guy.
I dunno. A guy can do horrible things and kill millions in the name of God and God does nothing to stop him. That's a difficult rationalization to deal with.

A guy kills millions in the name of nothing and nothing does nothing to stop him? Seems to validate non-belief, doesn't it?

What about Mousy Tongue? Isn't that Loki passing himself off as a communist dictator?

Is Mao ruling the world? No, he's not. Therefore he's not Loki because Loki fucking rocks, no matter what that bullshit Avengers movie had to say about it. :mad:

From the Nazi SS oath:
“What is your oath ?” – “I vow to you, Adolf Hitler, as Führer and chancellor of the German Reich loyalty and bravery. I vow to you and to the leaders that you set for me, absolute allegiance until death. So help me God !”

“So you believe in a God ?” – “Yes, I believe in a Lord God.”

“What do you think about a man who does not believe in a God ?” – “I think he is overbearing, megalomaniac and foolish; he is not one of us.”

Is Mao ruling the world? No, he's not. Therefore he's not Loki because Loki fucking rocks, no matter what that bullshit Avengers movie had to say about it. :mad:
Obviously Loki is awesome. Equally as obvious, Mao is gone, because Loki got what Loki was searching for in China. The whole revolution was simply to have an excuse to scour the countryside for an ancient relic of unimaginable power, left over from the last iteration of the universe, before the old one fell.

Before you protest, we both know the eye is upon this world as well. One can't simply scour for artifacts in the open. At this point in time, the plans are already in motion, and the artifact is.. "safely" hahaha hidden away.

I particularly like this quote from the link, as I could imagine any number of right wing Presidential candidates saying the bolded part today:

Today Christians… stand at the head of this country… I pledge that I never will tie myself to parties who want to destroy Christianity.. We want to fill our culture again with the Christian spirit.. we want to burn out all the immoral developments in literature, in the theatre, and in the press – in short, we want to burn out the ‘poison of immorality’ which has entered into our whole life and culture as a result of ‘liberal excess’ during the past few years “ - from the speeches of Adolf Hitler 1922-1939, Oxford University Press

I've read Mein Kampf, and yes, der Fuehrer does claim that he's doing God's will... and he did achieve a form of rapprochement with at least a portion of the Reich's clergy...but Hitler's religion was boiler plate piety. He could easily have been an atheist. And so what.

Nazis banned the teaching of evolution and burned Darwin's books, therefore modern creationists argue that learning about evolution causes you to be a Nazi.

Nazis banned the teaching of evolution and burned Darwin's books, therefore modern creationists argue that learning about evolution causes you to be a Nazi.

Or Communist! Because Stalin banned his books and preferred Lysenkoism instead! Creationsts are consistent like that! :p

https://secularscarlet.wordpress.com/2015/05/14/mein-kampf-the-christian-handbook-2/

Christians keep saying that Hitler was an atheist. They say it so often that many people don't bother correcting them anymore. If you're sick and tired of this nonsense, then keep this link handy and show it to the next person who tries to pull that "atheism will cause you to become a Nazi" argument.

Truth is much more complex as usual. In reality Hitler was rather trying to create his own branch of Christianity to further his goals (see also positive Christianity), having as many in common with traditional Christianity as classical islam has with the sanitized versions of this religion defended now in the West :)

What Speer recounts about his discussions with the fuhrer leaves very little doubt about the alleged Christianity of Hitler, indeed the fuhrer complained once in a private discussion that it's a pity that Christianity is not like islam* which could produce the fanatic soldiers he needed!.

So no, I'm afraid the thesis of the guy in the link is unsound. as unsound as blaming Christianity for the Holocaust (note that I do not say that Jew hatred in Christianity did not exist, the problem is that without the so called secular Jew hatred coupled with Htielr's own fanatic ideas it is very doubtful that a holocaust would have taken place). Htiler was influenced by some, rather few, Christian ideas and that's all.

“The Mohammedan religion…would have been much more compatible to us than Christianity. Why did it have to be Christianity with its meekness and flabbiness?"
Speer - Inside the Third Reich

Last edited:
How is that different than any other version of Christianity?

They all cherrypick whatever little nuggets support their position and ignore or "reinterpret" the rest. You can use that exact same argument to say that Christianity wasn't to blame for the Crusades, charity drives, witch trials, homeless outreach programs, burning of heretics and every other action which was justified by aspects of Christian philosophy.

I don't think this works here. What Hitler did, to use a terminology from the philosophy of science, was to reject much of the core of this religion whilst keeping some, few, of the auxiliary assumptions. Very little to nothing in common with traditional Christianity*.

*as a side note, somehow related with the subject but definitely related with the strange belief of some that I may be a Catholic, the fact that I argue pro Christianity sometimes (vilified too much in my view, to the extent that its good influence is almost completely denied) do not imply that I defend its shaky core or its abuses (there are different levels of Rationality, Christianity may fare better than islam regarding the value it assign to Reason but this does not mean that it reaches the most rational stances often); so no I'm at most an atheist Christian if you wish so :)

Last edited:
I don't think this works here. What Hitler did, to use a terminology from the philosophy of science, was to reject much of the core of this religion whilst keeping some, few, of the auxiliary assumptions. Very little to nothing in common with traditional Christianity.

What parts of the core of traditional Christianity were absent from his philosophies and were present during the Crusades, witch trials, the Inquisition and all the other atrocities committed in the name of Christianity?

Back
Top Bottom