• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Christmas Parade Driver was Out on Bail: Bail Reform Discussion

He’s a black racist who intentionally targeted white people. How did you get “suicide by cop”?

That's the first I've heard of that theory. He was trying to escape the police and immediately after the carnage took refuge in some random stranger's house

I'm not pretending to understand what was going on in the mind of someone who could do anything as horrible as crash through a Christmas Parade. The line from an old Doors song "His brain is squirming like a toad..." is what I think of.

But yeah, it still looks like a suicide attempt. However subconscious it might have been. I'm just glad that I don't have to deal with him in a compassionate way going forward.
Tom
"Suicide by cop" usually doesn't involve killing innocent people. Nor does fleeing the scene and trying to hide.

A few years ago, there was a similar incident in a nearby town. They were having a street festival and a car sped through the crowd, killing three and injuring dozens more. The driver was the octogenarian mother of the Chief of Police. She died later that day from complications due to a stroke, which was the apparent cause of her loss of control. This type of thing is actually quite common. The Wisconsin incident is one of the worst, but not unique.

It's easy to leap to the conclusion that Darrel Wilson is a psychotic killer who should not have been on the street, but the profile of a crowd plower is somewhere between a middle aged man with a history of DUI arrests and a person with over 55 years of driving experience.

In this case, a young black man has killed and injured white people, which pushes all the right buttons for a certain group of people who are prone to assert facts not in evidence. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Bail and release before trial are not pre-punishments. The sole reason for bail requirements is to insure the defendant will appear in court on the appointed day. If the government believes the defendant poses a risk to the public if released, that's a separate argument. No amount of money put on deposit will reduce that kind of risk.

He’s a black racist who intentionally targeted white people. How did you get “suicide by cop”?

That's the first I've heard of that theory. He was trying to escape the police and immediately after the carnage took refuge in some random stranger's house

I'm not pretending to understand what was going on in the mind of someone who could do anything as horrible as crash through a Christmas Parade. The line from an old Doors song "His brain is squirming like a toad..." is what I think of.

But yeah, it still looks like a suicide attempt. However subconscious it might have been. I'm just glad that I don't have to deal with him in a compassionate way going forward.
Tom
"Suicide by cop" usually doesn't involve killing innocent people. Nor does fleeing the scene and trying to hide.
Wow...lots of white hatred in that man. He must be an avid MSNBC watcher.

Tom
Did you not read my first paragraph?

Or are you so certain that you understand mass murderers that you know what they're "usually" thinking?

You made the assertion that he's a black racist who intentionally targeted white people. Care to back that up?
Tom

I know nothing more about this than what I've read on this thread.
But it sure looks like a failed attempt at "suicide by cop".

How can you set bail for people like that? And without being a mindreader how can you tell? With the clarity of hindsight it's easy to pick up warnings, but that's almost always true.
Tom

Not sure if serious. Is that some recent development, or are you mocking the "everything is about race" crowd?

EXCLUSIVE: 'The old white ppl…knock dem TF out!' Waukesha suspect shared social media posts promoting violence towards white people and claiming black people were the 'true Hebrews'

The charging documents also state that he intentionally hit his victims. But his victims are white and he's black, so the media is gonna bury this.
White male dismayed black bigot isn't paraded in media as bigot.

You made the assertion that he's a black racist who intentionally targeted white people. Care to back that up?
Did you miss the earlier posts? His social media about "knocking out" white people? The charging affidavit that he intentionally swerved into the crowd? All his victims are white? What a coincidence.

I know nothing more about this than what I've read on this thread.
But it sure looks like a failed attempt at "suicide by cop".

How can you set bail for people like that? And without being a mindreader how can you tell? With the clarity of hindsight it's easy to pick up warnings, but that's almost always true.
Tom

Not sure if serious. Is that some recent development, or are you mocking the "everything is about race" crowd?

EXCLUSIVE: 'The old white ppl…knock dem TF out!' Waukesha suspect shared social media posts promoting violence towards white people and claiming black people were the 'true Hebrews'

The charging documents also state that he intentionally hit his victims. But his victims are white and he's black, so the media is gonna bury this.
Imagine if a white dude with racist social media posts drove into a parade of black people. Then Jimmy would care.

Imagine if a white dude with racist social media posts drove into a parade of black people. Then Jimmy would care.
There is bigotry and then there is racism. Both matter. You confuse both for being the same thing.

Whether his beliefs and bigotry were the motives for his actions instead of desperation and/or rage, we might or might not find out. Regardless, this guy committed an awful crime and is never getting out of jail. And we don't see defense of his actions, unlike the Charlottesville driver.

The problem here is the pendulum swinging too far.

I agree with the basic idea of bail reform--bail was punitive, being used to force people into plea deals because the pre-trial detention was often a higher punishment than the plea deal.

However, I would like to see a one-bite approach. On most things you are released on your agreement to show up. That does not apply if you are arrested again on unrelated matters and if you fail to show up, that's it, bail is required in the future if it is even an option.

I agree with the basic idea of bail reform--bail was punitive, being used to force people into plea deals because the pre-trial detention was often a higher punishment than the plea deal.

However, I would like to see a one-bite approach. On most things you are released on your agreement to show up. That does not apply if you are arrested again on unrelated matters and if you fail to show up, that's it, bail is required in the future if it is even an option.
The type of crime ought to matter, too. Say, running someone over a person compared to shoplifting a Snickers.

The guy in the OP has a long, long history of violence. He should have been locked up a long time ago. Frankly, to me he sounds like a socio/psychopath.

And then we have this:

The Editorial Board: Murphy insults the victims of a serial rapist by sentencing him to probation
Judge Matthew J. Murphy III says he agonized over the sentence he imposed on a rapist Tuesday. He wasn’t ashamed, he said, to admit that he “actually prayed” over what to do.
He shouldn’t be ashamed of that. What he should be ashamed of is the decision he reached: eight years of probation for Christopher J. Belter, who sexually assaulted four girls, aged 15 and 16, in his Lewiston house.
Murphy, acting more like an advocate than a judge, decided that prison would be somehow “inappropriate” for Belter who originally faced charges that included first-degree rape. The 20-year-old felon committed his crimes when he under 18 but was sentenced as an adult offender. What adult gets a few years of probation for serial sex assaults against teenage girls?

The guy, a habitual offender, got out on $1K bond after running over his girlfriend. Da fuq. The prosecutor realizes his office made a massive mistake and is in damage control. These lefty policies cost lives.
The right wing policies of incarcerating accused persons, primarily poor and persons of color for weeks to months and sometimes longer, pending trial--when in fact, they may be found innocent of charges and not uncommonly, have already spent more time in custody than their sentence would have encompassed--well those policies cost lives as well.
FFS. He ran over a person. Got only $1K bond.
For at least the third time: Yes, I believe that there was a mistake in granting him such low bail given his history of jumping bail, which alone makes him a poor risk unless there were some mitigating circumstances I can't think of at this moment, and of course, a violent crime is different than a property crime. Although to be honest, I'd like to know more about the 'running over someone' charge. Is it an exaggerated charge? Or is it honest: he deliberately aimed his vehicle at someone and put his foot on the gas? Or did someone step out in front of him to try to stop him? Or did someone step too close while the vehicle was in motion and fall down? Any of those are possible and would be vastly different than he aimed his car at someone and stepped on the gas.

The guy, a habitual offender, got out on $1K bond after running over his girlfriend. Da fuq. The prosecutor realizes his office made a massive mistake and is in damage control. These lefty policies cost lives.
The right wing policies of incarcerating accused persons, primarily poor and persons of color for weeks to months and sometimes longer, pending trial--when in fact, they may be found innocent of charges and not uncommonly, have already spent more time in custody than their sentence would have encompassed--well those policies cost lives as well.
No, he is alleged to have run over a person. Apparently the alleged victim had tire treads on her pants leg and claim to be the mother of his child.

I do think that assault of any type should have more a substantial bond that $1,000. Mr. Brooks is also a registered sex offender. So, one would think his bond would have been higher.

But unless the bail bond was sufficiently high enough to prevent his release, this tragedy would still have happened.

How does this apply here? No one is complaining about the guy jumping bail, but being out on bail and running over grandmothers for whatever reason. Of course, most people out on bail aren't running people over with their cars, so this extreme situation crime is being used to demonize a reasonable modification to how bail is done in the US.

Kyle Rittenhouse crossed a state line carrying an illegal weapon of war!

Oh wait, initial reports weren't entirely accurate.

But boy oh boy, those reports got attention.
Tom

This is the part of a trial in the court of public opinion when information on a Black suspect concentrates on past criminal history and on a White suspect concentrates on past mental health issues.

When Stephan Paddock killed 60 people who attended the Route 61 Harvest music festival, no one suggested he hated country music or country music fans. The immediate consensus was the guy was crazy.

How does this apply here? No one is complaining about the guy jumping bail, but being out on bail and running over grandmothers for whatever reason. Of course, most people out on bail aren't running people over with their cars, so this extreme situation crime is being used to demonize a reasonable modification to how bail is done in the US.
As a followup, I'm not accusing you of doing that, but the OP and one or two others. My post however, was a bit sloppy.

"Milwaukee BLM activist, 'militant' says Wisconsin Christmas parade attack may start 'revolution'"

"A well-known Milwaukee Black Lives Matter activist said on Facebook Live Monday that the attack on the Waukesha Christmas parade may be signalling that "the revolution has started in Wisconsin."

"Vaun Mayes, who describes himself as a "Battle rapper, Community activist, Songwriter, Tattoo artist, Militant," in his Twitter bio, said in the video, "I don't know. Now we'll have to wait and see because they do have somebody in custody. We may have to wait and see what they say about why this happened. But it sounds possible that the revolution has started in Wisconsin. It started with this Christmas parade.""

This is unbelievable stuff. I am sure you logical people on this forum can see just how much the media would've been hyping this up if this was a white man saying this about the revolution starting after a murder. I am dumbfounded that this violent language is being used. I used to think a civil war happening was a joke. Now, I'm not so sure anymore. This is some serious language here. Why is he not banned from twitter for saying this stuff? I never want to hear anyone say that big tech isn't biased ever again. :(

This is unbelievable stuff.
Yes it is. I'm guessing you expected nobody would read the article you posted because Justthenews is complete horseshit but here's the tweet we are all supposed to shit our pants over:

The "serious language" Generation55 is referring to is some guy saying "I don't know" at least 15 times in a one minute interval about something he heard from somebody maybe about an assumption.

Everyone lock the doors and stay the fuck inside. Shit is getting to real maybe. I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom