• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Civilians in Abandoned McDonald’s Seize Control of Wandering Space Satellite

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I thought they had found the engines don't work so they can't capture it, it's just going to head back into the black.

It's in Lagrange point, does not need propulsion.
NASA simply cut the budget for receiver for this satellite in order to pursue reaction-less drive technology

NASA simply cut the budget for receiver for this satellite in order to pursue reaction-less drive technology

It's in a solar orbit. If the engines don't fire it's not going to stop. It will go out of range and be lost again.

And they quit monitoring it long, long ago--it's radios were only intended for use in the vicinity of Earth. It doesn't have the big dishes needed by deep space craft. Something of sufficient interest came along (I forget what) and the decision was made to sacrifice the probe for a look at it. It got it's look but was left heading away from Earth as a result. When it got too far away they figured that was it.

It's in a solar orbit. If the engines don't fire it's not going to stop. It will go out of range and be lost again.

And they quit monitoring it long, long ago--it's radios were only intended for use in the vicinity of Earth. It doesn't have the big dishes needed by deep space craft. Something of sufficient interest came along (I forget what) and the decision was made to sacrifice the probe for a look at it. It got it's look but was left heading away from Earth as a result. When it got too far away they figured that was it.
Yes lagrange orbits are solar orbits, and no, it will never get out of range, well, in million years maybe.

Yes lagrange orbits are solar orbits, and no, it will never get out of range, well, in million years maybe.
It hasn't been orbiting a Lagrange point since it was sent off to chase comets. So it's going to be lost again, but its orbit brings it back near Earth every fifteen years or so. As long as its electronics keeps working and people keep being able to raise the money, we can pick it up again on each pass, which means actually you're both right.

It's already spent IIRC 33 years going around the sun in a slightly different orbit than the Earth and thus out of range. Nothing has changed this.

- - - Updated - - -

It hasn't been orbiting a Lagrange point since it was sent off to chase comets. So it's going to be lost again, but its orbit brings it back near Earth every fifteen years or so. As long as its electronics keeps working and people keep being able to raise the money, we can pick it up again on each pass, which means actually you're both right.

Assuming it's pass by Earth doesn't mess up it's orbit.

In that case as I suggested before they should hack some reaction-less drive on it and get it back to L1.

Back
Top Bottom