• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

1) For the most part it's the change that's the real problem--they cause ecological disruption. It looks like the warming very well might take out many of the forests in the west--the winters aren't being quite cold enough to kill off a pest that's now running rampant.

2) The extremes in both directions have left much of the Earth pretty much lifeless. Natural doesn't mean it's not apocalyptic.

This is the key point that often gets overlooked. As climate cycled over the past 2 or 3 million years, mammals migrated toward or away from the tropics in response. Untold millions of mammals suffered and died during these migrations, but who cares? That's life.

However mankind's civilization is much more precarious. Rising sea levels and droughts will affect hundreds of millions of people that our leaders are sworn to protect. The rapidity of change will be something society cannot deal with economically or politically.

At my age, 50 years from now and 5000 years from now are of about equal concern! Are any scientists predicting the very long-term effects of anthropogenic climate change? I understand that average temperatures are projected to soon exceed the highest temperatures since the Pliocene Epoch. How does ice cover compare with previous Pleistocene minima? Despite frequent mentions of "snowball Earth", periods of major glaciation are relatively rare in the Earth's long history (all occurring with less insolation than today), and are provoked and terminated by strong feedback loops. Is it possible that our declining ice cover will bring about the end of the Plio-Pleistocene Glaciation itself?

England officially over 40 degrees C for the first time, has broke all-time record by a 1.5 degrees so far. As a note, this is roughly 40 degrees above average.

The good news is that this isn't going to endure for very long. While another peak in temps is coming, normal temps are to return, reducing the likelihood of deaths due to the heat... mainly with the lack of decent overnight lows.

We lack the political unity to make a comprehensive national energy system. Texas is a glaring example of how not to make an energy system. Part of it is they decided politically to disconnect form the national system.

No new science or technology is needed. It is just a matter of planning, designing, and building.Climate change and energy should be all hands on deck.

I think things will slowly deteriorate. At some point food production will drop.

The blind adhernce to a communist ideology did the Soveits in. Our blind obsession with all things determined by the markets is going to do us in.

Some data on the US and heat waves and their increasing propensity regarding quantity, intensity, and duration over the past 50 years.

In the late 19th century as industrialization and pollution grew there were some who predicted long term consequences.

Us humans are runnng our evolutionary course. Were expanding beyond the capcoty of the environment.

I think things will slowly deteriorate. At some point food production will drop.
The reason food production will drop will be down to the insane, net zero goals set by the rapture like cultists and nothing to do with the weather. Farmers in Europe (and further afield in Sri Lanka) are protesting at the insane net zero policies being implemented.

The reason food production will drop will be down to the insane, net zero goals set by the rapture like cultists and nothing to do with the weather. Farmers in Europe (and further afield in Sri Lanka) are protesting at the insane net zero policies being implemented.
What... no Daily Mail cite?

The reason food production will drop will be down to the insane, net zero goals set by the rapture like cultists and nothing to do with the weather
Ya sure ya betcha. You must be a really great farmer

we constructed linear regression relationships using weather and reported crop data to assess the potential impact of observed climate change on the yields of the top ten global crops–barley, cassava, maize, oil palm, rapeseed, rice, sorghum, soybean, sugarcane and wheat … results suggest that climate change has already affected global food production.

But that must be wrong because a RW fanatic climate change denier on a backwater internet forum sez climate change has nothing to do with it.

🙄🙄🙄

I'm really feeling the rapture today, anybdy else?

OMG!!!!!!111!!!1!!! It's a catastrophic 73 degrees in Santa Monica!!!!11!!111

Sometime back you claimed that all climate prediction models over the decades had proved to be wrong. I showed you factual information that they were all accurate, although some underestimated climate change. Would you care to deal with your false claim, or will you continue to ignore it while writing stupid, childish posts like the bit quoted above?

1) For the most part it's the change that's the real problem--they cause ecological disruption. It looks like the warming very well might take out many of the forests in the west--the winters aren't being quite cold enough to kill off a pest that's now running rampant.

2) The extremes in both directions have left much of the Earth pretty much lifeless. Natural doesn't mean it's not apocalyptic.

This is the key point that often gets overlooked. As climate cycled over the past 2 or 3 million years, mammals migrated toward or away from the tropics in response. Untold millions of mammals suffered and died during these migrations, but who cares? That's life.

I doubt there was appreciable migration. Rather, in the areas becoming less desirable fewer animals were born/made it to maturity and the population dwindled away, in the more desirable areas it thrived.

However mankind's civilization is much more precarious. Rising sea levels and droughts will affect hundreds of millions of people that our leaders are sworn to protect. The rapidity of change will be something society cannot deal with economically or politically.

Humans caught in the bad areas will know where good areas are and will want to go there, by force if need be.

At my age, 50 years from now and 5000 years from now are of about equal concern! Are any scientists predicting the very long-term effects of anthropogenic climate change? I understand that average temperatures are projected to soon exceed the highest temperatures since the Pliocene Epoch. How does ice cover compare with previous Pleistocene minima? Despite frequent mentions of "snowball Earth", periods of major glaciation are relatively rare in the Earth's long history (all occurring with less insolation than today), and are provoked and terminated by strong feedback loops. Is it possible that our declining ice cover will bring about the end of the Plio-Pleistocene Glaciation itself?
Ice ages are to snowball as Mt. Whitney is to Everest.

Sri Lanka's problem isn't with net zero, but with the leaders absconding with the money. They don't have the foreign exchange to buy fertilizer, it's not that anybody is restricting it. Republican politics, not Democrat!

Sri Lanka's agricultural catastrophe is largely based on economic mismanagement.
According to one estimate, the president’s agrochemical ban was poised to save Sri Lanka the $400 million it was spending yearly on synthetic fertilizer, money it could use toward increasing imports of other goods.
The agrochemical ban caused rice production to drop 20 percent in the six months after it was implemented, causing a country that had been self-sufficient in rice production to spend $450 million on rice imports — much more than the $400 million that would’ve been saved by banning fertilizer imports.
The production of tea, Sri Lanka’s literal cash crop — it’s the country’s biggest export — fell by 18 percent. The government has had to spend hundreds of millions on subsidies and compensation to farmers in an effort to make up for the loss of productivity.
(Link)

Cattle aka beef production in Texas us threatened by the rising heat. Big ag companies are looking for new heat resistant strains.

California agriculture has baen on the dge from regular droughts and waer shortages for long time. A major source of pur produce.

It is a long list. A govt report on line years back had already predicted we will cease to be a net food exporter.

What Shri Lanka and other places affected by Ukraine wheat shortages shows us that we are going beyond human sustainability even without climate change

Ranchers in top cattle state Texas can’t sell their herds fast enough with 100-degree Fahrenheit temperatures making it too expensive to sustain animals.

Costs for feed, fertilizer and fuel have been soaring. There’s also a lack of water in the state, and little hay. That’s resulting in a firehouse of cattle getting auctioned at Texas sale barns. Emory Livestock Auction Inc., just over an hour’s drive east from Dallas, is seeing nearly quadruple normal rates with ranchers in “panic mode,” said Jack Robinson, an 83-year-old auctioneer.

If you are young today what I would be worrying about in the future is the basics, food and water.

China is agressiey trying to claim fishing grounds s territorial waters and there has been shots exchanged between China and the PI.

President Joe Biden on Wednesday will warn members of Congress that if they don't take action to combat climate change then he will. The ultimatum will come during the president's trip to Massachusetts, where he will visit Brayton Point Power Station - New England's largest coal plant, which is being transformed into a factory producing cables for offshore wind farms. 'The president will make clear tomorrow that climate change is an existential threat to our nation and to the world. And he will also make clear that since Congress is not going to act on this emergency, then he will,' a White House official said. 'In the coming days, he will continue to announce executive actions that we have developed to combat this emergency,' the official noted. 'I´m going to use every power I have as president to continue to fulfill my pledge to move toward dealing with global warming,' Biden told reporters over the weekend in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, after Manchin scuttled negotiations in the Senate.

Daily Mail

Let's Go Brandon!!

"dealing with global warming"??! WTF Brandon, it's CLIMATE CHANGE you senile old duffer!!

President Joe Biden on Wednesday will warn members of Congress that if they don't take action to combat climate change then he will. The ultimatum will come during the president's trip to Massachusetts, where he will visit Brayton Point Power Station - New England's largest coal plant, which is being transformed into a factory producing cables for offshore wind farms. 'The president will make clear tomorrow that climate change is an existential threat to our nation and to the world. And he will also make clear that since Congress is not going to act on this emergency, then he will,' a White House official said. 'In the coming days, he will continue to announce executive actions that we have developed to combat this emergency,' the official noted. 'I´m going to use every power I have as president to continue to fulfill my pledge to move toward dealing with global warming,' Biden told reporters over the weekend in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, after Manchin scuttled negotiations in the Senate.

Daily Mail

Let's Go Brandon!!

"dealing with global warming"??! WTF Brandon, it's CLIMATE CHANGE you senile old duffer!!

Were you planning to address the fact that you falsely claimed that all past climate-change models have made false predictions?

Back
Top Bottom