• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

Anyone paying attention to the Tour de France will know that it has been hot in France. In fact, it seems to strip Pogacar of the yellow jersey on one particularly hot day. It is something, as ascents into the mountains used to require jackets, and this year, it has been a lot about water water water. I remember cycling 25 miles in upper 80/90 degree heat, and taking one bottle of water, one bottle of ice and by the time I'm on the second bottle, it is slightly chilled. I can't imagine doing that for 6 times the distance. Yes, they have more ice and support cars, but still riding on baking pavement isn't fun. Luckily there haven't been any melting tar incidents.

England is bracing to set all-time records with high temps today. All-time, as in recorded history... not on July x-teenth. And it might do so by a couple degrees, which is technically a lot. Not quite the blast of a record for the Pacific Northwest last summer, but a couple degrees is smashing an all-time temp record. Other nations set all-time records last year in North American and Europe.

Its about time England set a record for something.

Anyone paying attention to the Tour de France will know that it has been hot in France. In fact, it seems to strip Pogacar of the yellow jersey on one particularly hot day. It is something, as ascents into the mountains used to require jackets, and this year, it has been a lot about water water water. I remember cycling 25 miles in upper 80/90 degree heat, and taking one bottle of water, one bottle of ice and by the time I'm on the second bottle, it is slightly chilled. I can't imagine doing that for 6 times the distance. Yes, they have more ice and support cars, but still riding on baking pavement isn't fun. Luckily there haven't been any melting tar incidents.

England is bracing to set all-time records with high temps today. All-time, as in recorded history... not on July x-teenth. And it might do so by a couple degrees, which is technically a lot. Not quite the blast of a record for the Pacific Northwest last summer, but a couple degrees is smashing an all-time temp record. Other nations set all-time records last year in North American and Europe.
So, if over the same period of time, I find a place on earth were the weather has been consistently average and moderate can one conclude that climate change is not happening?

So, if over the same period of time, I find a place on earth were the weather has been consistently average and moderate can one conclude that climate change is not happening?
No, but please, don't let me stop you from using more fallacies.

What fallacy?

What fallacy?
Mistaking weather with climate. Having a cluster of all-time national highs is a "climate" thing, not a "weather" thing.

It is incredible that this is happening in front of you, and your politics and "logic" make it so you refuse to recognize it.

Deniers will want to counter you with Thailand, where for six years there has been a "cooling trend."

Well, cooling trend in the sense that no hot season has been as hot as March 4, 2016 to May 18, 2016, during which there were 21 consecutive days above 42.0°C (107.6°F), with some days getting up to 111°F.

I hear you laughing and saying 108°F or even 111°F is nothing; USA gets hotter than that all the time. But 21 consecutive days of that heat? (My reports are for Weather Station 484000; the majorest station near my home. Another nearby station had even higher highs.)

During the 76-day hot spell, there were only eight days less than 100.6°F:
8 days with temperature 31.0 - 37.9 90.2°F
8 days with temperature 38.1 - 38.8 101.2°F
8 days with temperature 39.0 - 39.8 103°F
9 days with temperature 40.0 - 40.9 104.8°F
11 days with temperature 41.0 - 41.9 106.6°F
17 days with temperature 42.0 - 42.7 108.3°F
15 days with temperature 43.0 - 43.7 109.4°F - 110.7°F
A large majority of years don't have a single day of 41°C, let alone 42°C

This 2016 hot season completely demolished all records for highest temperatures ever recorded at Weather Station 484000. Several neighboring countries also reported all-time country-wide records.

It is amusing to see Ilkists continue to pretend that dramatic man-caused climate change remains unproven.

What fallacy?
Mistaking weather with climate. Having a cluster of all-time national highs is a "climate" thing, not a "weather" thing.

It is incredible that this is happening in front of you, and your politics and "logic" make it so you refuse to recognize it.
I am not a climate change denier, BTW. It is real. You are correct about not mistaking weather with climate. And isn't that what you just did with your heat wave example? Would real climate scientists agree with you about this particular heat wave cluster as evidence? You used a one day severe tornado event earlier in this thread as climate change evidence and got a bit of pushback from others (including a climate scientist), and now here you are doing it again.

What fallacy?

I am not a climate change denier, BTW. It is real.
Great.

Climate is always changing.

I am pro global warming. As I age, I like the cold less. It hurts.

Given the choice of global warming or global cooling, I would go for warming too. And since we are currently in an interglacial period of the current ice age, it is going to either get a lot colder if we drop back into massive glaciation or it is going to get a lot warmer if we finally emerge from our current ice age. Interglacial periods are very short lived historically compared to the time Earth has experienced either with massive glaciation or being essentially ice free.

In western Washington we are back to our normal temperate and weather. Mid 70s sometimes hotter sometimes cooler.

If it wasn't for those lurking earthquakes it would be paradise.

Germany shows how we have the tiger by the tail. They have to increase coal power or go cold.

In western Washington we are back to our normal temperate and weather. Mid 70s sometimes hotter sometimes cooler.

Germany shows how we have the tiger by the tail. They have to increase coal power or go cold.

Rainer is not really a problem except for those in the pyroclastic flow. There is a warning system for those in the path. Glacier Peak is considered the major volcanic threat north of Seattle.

In the 90s the UW set off seismic charges on the Puget Sound floor measuring responses. Given the right quake the floor will rrsonante like a drum head creating a tidal wave sloshing back and forth across the sound. There is evidence of past events.

The recent estimates for a Pacific coast quake tsunami is 20-40 feet in Seattle.

I doubt there are any safe places at least in the USA. If it is not one thing it is another.

In the end climate change may forces us humans to live withing sustainable means.

Given the choice of global warming or global cooling, I would go for warming too. And since we are currently in an interglacial period of the current ice age, it is going to either get a lot colder if we drop back into massive glaciation or it is going to get a lot warmer if we finally emerge from our current ice age. Interglacial periods are very short lived historically compared to the time Earth has experienced either with massive glaciation or being essentially ice free.

1) For the most part it's the change that's the real problem--they cause ecological disruption. It looks like the warming very well might take out many of the forests in the west--the winters aren't being quite cold enough to kill off a pest that's now running rampant.

2) The extremes in both directions have left much of the Earth pretty much lifeless. Natural doesn't mean it's not apocalyptic.

Too wet to be paradise for me.

Too wet to be paradise for me.
Having grown up in Ct and having lived in North Idaho I'll take rain over shoveling snow any day.

Back
Top Bottom