• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

The world may be ending if by world we mean civilization and economics as we have had post WWII.

Ever notice how Trump and his supporters are all fat slobs? Trump, Pompeiio, Hannity, Guilliani, Bannon. The late Limbaugh.

I expect the conservative climate deniers are similar. Yu kmow the type. Beer in one hand keyboard in the other and they are in pig heaven. Rarely showesr because they never go outside around people. They get used to their own stink and even grow to ike it.

No. They are saying the climate is changing(be it man made or not)and we must change the way we live to adapt to that change.
They (MSM, celebrities, folks on here) are hysterically screaming that the world is ending, the planet is unsustainable blah blah blah “we” only have six months to avoid the end of times rapture if we don’t mend our ways.
Pure bovine scat!
The “six months” remark was hyperbole but the rest was spot on.

An end of times, rapture like-cult.

No. They are saying the climate is changing(be it man made or not)and we must change the way we live to adapt to that change.
They (MSM, celebrities, folks on here) are hysterically screaming that the world is ending, the planet is unsustainable blah blah blah “we” only have six months to avoid the end of times rapture if we don’t mend our ways.
Pure bovine scat!
The “six months” remark was hyperbole but the rest was spot on.

An end of times, rapture like-cult.
The Looney Tunes theme song comes to mind. Ya ta ta ya ta ta ya ta ta ta ta

California water restrictor
This particular restrictor will give you around one gallon a minute. Normally, a three-quarter-inch meter is 25 to 30 gallons a minute.
After a customer uses more than 150% of their water allocation four times, they will be in line to get the flow restrictor installed.

Piggy people who don’t have to care about cost get what amounts to a large fender washer inserted into their water supply line at the meter.

Well what’s the point of having six bathrooms, a pool, and sprinkler system for my lush lawn if I can’t have water gushing out of all of them all at once? How will I ever be able to entertain? They’re driving down my property values. They’ve turned my pointless house into a useless house. The American Dream has evaporated.
California water districts should hire retired navy as their water nazis ensuring compliance during these dry times. We know water conservation. We could swap out all the shower heads with push to spray handheld units, remove excessive bathrooms turning them into bedrooms for homeless people, and where needed, put homes on water hours, making water available for one hour three times a day. We’d have them squared away in no time.

*sigh* Dude, I was never claiming to be mathematically accurate regarding Calfornia's population decline to S. Dakota level! It was intended to be an exaggeration all along (see bolded above)! When you were a kid and your mom said, "Politesse, I must have told you a thousand times to clean your room" did you give her a mathematical analysis of why she was wrong? And I don't know why you are going on about Texas and Florida. We were tallking about California.

Its not just cars that are experiencing electric mandates. The process of making housing all electric is on a roll, at least in the South Bay:

Los Altos council votes to mandate all-electric ordinance for new buildings

Mountain View City Council backs natural gas ban for all new homes

San Jose adopts historic natural gas ban — but with a controversial exemption San Jose joins San Francisco, Berkeley and now Oakland with similar bans

I'm sure more city bans are coming...
And this isn't bad. The problem is that we are lagging in the alternate to fossil fuel for the electricity. Granted, it makes sense to go electric pump for heating and cooling in California in lieu of natural gas.
What's going to happen in the winter? Only electric available for heating, but solar kind of sucks in the winter.
Sucks more at night regardless the time of year.
WTF? This is going to be an epic fail of biblical proportions.
Yes and no? Propping up nuclear plants isn't exactly cheap and there needs to be a demand for them before they'll get built. Reducing natural gas usage (and piping that to Europe for sale) would help increase the demand for large scale alternatives for electricity, which at the moment is limited to exclusively nuclear.

In theory, all of this would be better via a comprehensive national energy plan, where our demand for electricity needs to be dealt with via efficiency and green energy sources, primarily water and nuclear. And we aren't building out dams these days. Of course, people would just shit on that too and say it should all be local decisions.

And then of course, America will choke on the price of going nuclear... and some will campaign on global warming being less expensive way to go.
Yeah, I got no particular love for natural gas. Its not like I have stock options in gas companies. My main beef with eliminating it cold turkey is that it seems they are ignoring the need to beef up the electric grid to compensate for the lack of gas.
Cold turkey? Changing building codes for new buildings to not having gas isn't going "cold turkey", that is taking the long road to removing it as a heating and cooking energy source.
One other thing to note is that many people in California are installing natural gas powered electric generators to keep the power going during summer blackouts. With natural gas getting phased out, this is not an option for a mandated all electric home. I guess you have to buy a little smoky gasoline powered portable generator, if you want to keep your food cold, water heated, the lights on and your EV charged. And when you run out of gasoline, I guess you strap a few gas cans on your bicycle and head to the gas station. And what do you do if you live in an all electric multistory apartment or condo? Put the generator out on the balcony, I guess. Pathetic. Or move in with friends or relatives who live in older "less green" houses with NG. Or move out of the state like lots are doing.
People would be moving out of California because it costs too much money to live there, not because of natural gas policies in building codes.

America is suffering from an infrastructure issue, because of 40 years of the GOP saying "we don't need to pay for any of that stuff, free market, etc..." The bill came due two decades ago, and the denialism is still helping people look the other way.

Living in the first world costs first world money. And until the GOP just finally stops with this bullshit and says "Yes, we need to develop an updated 21st century energy plan which will cost a lot of money", instead of railing on about "tax and spend Democrats", it will be all the harder to move forward in the US.

I am an American, and by god nobody tells me how much water I can use. You'll have to pry my garden hose from my cold dead hands.

There are now ultra slippery toilets to reduce the amount of flush water.

This particular restrictor will give you around one gallon a minute. Normally, a three-quarter-inch meter is 25 to 30 gallons a minute.
After a customer uses more than 150% of their water allocation four times, they will be in line to get the flow restrictor installed.

Piggy people who don’t have to care about cost get what amounts to a large fender washer inserted into their water supply line at the meter.

Well what’s the point of having six bathrooms, a pool, and sprinkler system for my lush lawn if I can’t have water gushing out of all of them all at once? How will I ever be able to entertain? They’re driving down my property values. They’ve turned my pointless house into a useless house. The American Dream has evaporated.
California water districts should hire retired navy as their water nazis ensuring compliance during these dry times. We know water conservation. We could swap out all the shower heads with push to spray handheld units, remove excessive bathrooms turning them into bedrooms for homeless people, and where needed, put homes on water hours, making water available for one hour three times a day. We’d have them squared away in no time.

No surprise the authoritarians get all excited and giddy at the thought of more restrictions rather than actual solutions. That's because none of this is about the climate change/apocalypse/crisis/emergency. It's all about fucking people over. Modern day puritans that hate it when people have nice things.

No, California doesn't need "water nazis". California needs to build infrastructure to address its water needs. But hey, we got high speed rail instead.

It's all about fucking people over.
No, it's all about demanding that people not have the power to fuck everyone over in shortsighted and selfish ways.

The fact that you find this to be "fucking you over" in fact reveals what is highly likely a motivation to do things which fuck everyone over in shortsighted ways.

No surprise the authoritarians get all excited and giddy at the thought of more restrictions rather than actual solutions.
The actual solution is a massive and expensive national infrastructure program. The free market can not afford it, and you sure the fuck will bitch about the cost. California needs water, which will require a hefty price tag. California and America need carbon free power, which will require a hefty price tag.
That's because none of this is about the climate change/apocalypse/crisis/emergency. It's all about fucking people over. Modern day puritans that hate it when people have nice things.
Fuck that judgmental bullshit. I want nice things! Most of us do. That doesn't mean we have to be burning coal to have these things.
No, California doesn't need "water nazis". California needs to build infrastructure to address its water needs. But hey, we got high speed rail instead.
You'll claw the ground when California tells you how much it'll cost to treat wastewater and desalinate the ocean for water, and come looking for money. You'll just shit your pants about a high speed rail line and Democrats and how all of this could have been done for a $1.50 if you were in charge.

No surprise the authoritarians get all excited and giddy at the thought of more restrictions rather than actual solutions. That's because none of this is about the climate change/apocalypse/crisis/emergency. It's all about fucking people over. Modern day puritans that hate it when people have nice things.

Both are necessary; conservation and infrastructure. You've been enjoying a life your environment should not have ever had to support. Lawn irrigation should be banned, totally. Growing almonds should be banned too. Do you leave the water run while you brush your teeth? Why? Do you have to have water cascading down upon you the entire time you shower? Of course not. Wet yourself. Wash your ass. Rinse off. I spent three and a half years in the Philippines showering with a five gallon bucket of cold water and a quart size dipping cup. And I liked it. It takes about three gallons to get clean if I recollect versus 17 gallons for the average first world shower. I still don't leave the water run when I brush my teeth. It's just a carryover from the navy. Seems foolish not to shut it off. These two little steps are nothing painful. You'll not suffer one iota. I promise.

Both are necessary; conservation and infrastructure.
Agreed. What I disagree with is authoritarians and "water nazis" like yourself dictating how long my shower should be, what my thermostat should be set at and any other piece of nonsense that displeases your puritan instincts. .

The government should do its fucking job and not neglect the infrastructure and allow the Nazi environmentalists to have so much power that we cannot address these problems.

You've been enjoying a life your environment should not have ever had to support. Lawn irrigation should be banned, totally.
Agreed, I've ripped my lawn. But the swimming pool stays. I keep a cover on it so I don't have to top up too frequently.

Growing almonds should be banned too.
In California? Maybe, but I don't know enough about it.

Do you leave the water run while you brush your teeth? Why?
Generally no I do not. I actually conserve water as much as I can. We don't flush the toilet every time we pee for example. Only run the dishwasher when it's a full load etc.

Is there going to be a "water nazi" standing behind my back while I brush my teeth?!! Are we only allowed to brush our teeth once a day?

Do you have to have water cascading down upon you the entire time you shower? Of course not.
Of course I do! I'm in the shower for about four/five minutes. I do laundry and use the dishwasher.
Wet yourself. Wash your ass. Rinse off. I spent three and a half years in the Philippines showering with a five gallon bucket of cold water and a quart size dipping cup. And I liked it. It takes about three gallons to get clean if I recollect versus 17 gallons for the average first world shower. I still don't leave the water run when I brush my teeth. It's just a carryover from the navy. Seems foolish not to shut it off. These two little steps are nothing painful. You'll not suffer one iota. I promise.
Oh yes, here's the problem right here, the puritan in you detests it when other people enjoy luxuries.

the puritan human being that likes having fresh water to drink in you detests it when other people enjoy luxuries shit which uses up the fresh water such that I have none to drink.
In other words, quit painting others who refuse to tolerate selfish assholish "luxuries" at the expense of everyone as if they are the assholes.

Agreed. What I disagree with is authoritarians and "water nazis" like yourself dictating how long my shower should be, what my thermostat should be set at and any other piece of nonsense that displeases your puritan instincts. .

The government should do its fucking job and not neglect the infrastructure and allow the Nazi environmentalists to have so much power that we cannot address these problems.
:hysterical:

You've been supporting the "fuck infrastructure" party, and now you are upset about the state of infrastructure. How quaint.

Hyper American selfish individualism. Nothing exists except m and my immediate gratification.

It is childish.

You've been enjoying a life your environment should not have ever had to support. Lawn irrigation should be banned, totally.
Agreed, I've ripped my lawn. But the swimming pool stays. I keep a cover on it so I don't have to top up too frequently.

Growing almonds should be banned too.
In California? Maybe, but I don't know enough about it.

Do you leave the water run while you brush your teeth? Why?
Generally no I do not. I actually conserve water as much as I can. We don't flush the toilet every time we pee for example. Only run the dishwasher when it's a full load etc.

Is there going to be a "water nazi" standing behind my back while I brush my teeth?!! Are we only allowed to brush our teeth once a day?

Do you have to have water cascading down upon you the entire time you shower? Of course not.
Of course I do! I'm in the shower for about four/five minutes. I do laundry and use the dishwasher.
Wet yourself. Wash your ass. Rinse off. I spent three and a half years in the Philippines showering with a five gallon bucket of cold water and a quart size dipping cup. And I liked it. It takes about three gallons to get clean if I recollect versus 17 gallons for the average first world shower. I still don't leave the water run when I brush my teeth. It's just a carryover from the navy. Seems foolish not to shut it off. These two little steps are nothing painful. You'll not suffer one iota. I promise.
Oh yes, here's the problem right here, the puritan in you detests it when other people enjoy luxuries.
Not at all. I don't anything you. I neither detest nor applaud. I simply state what I believe we all can do to serve our community. Perhaps my statements are a bit too colorful. But there it is.

Many years ago I read this George Bernard Shaw quote.
I have and will continue to do my part regardless of my neighbors actions.
George Bernard Shaw said:
This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one, the being a force of nature, instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch, which I've got held up for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.

Not at all. I don't anything you. I neither detest nor applaud. I simply state what I believe we all can do to serve our community. Perhaps my statements are a bit too colorful. But there it is. I have and will continue to do my part regardless of my neighbors actions.

Says the guy that wants "water nazis" deployed to make sure people don't use more water than he does. :rolleyes:

Not at all. I don't anything you. I neither detest nor applaud. I simply state what I believe we all can do to serve our community. Perhaps my statements are a bit too colorful. But there it is. I have and will continue to do my part regardless of my neighbors actions.

Says the guy that wants "water nazis" deployed to make sure people don't use more water than he does. :rolleyes:
Sorry, nope, still doesn't work. Your showers are not more important than someone else's ability to not die of dehydration.

So in your view we all can consume fiite resources as much as we want?

While I am not religious I always thought one of positive aspects of American Christianity was the idea that community was bigger than the individual. Apparently no more.

Back
Top Bottom